Favourite Studio Ghibli film?

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
Laputa, castle in the sky. Arguably this may be because it was the first Ghibli movie I saw as a kid (stumbled onto it on the tv one morning and was totally entranced.

Its one that needs to be watched subtitled though unfortunately, as the DVD dub is... problematic (its not the same as the one I saw as a kid). The performances are great, including Mark Hamill as Muska, but the script plays loose with the original by wedging a lot of 'comedy' lines into moments that were silent or relied on the music originally. Cause the adapter decided kids are idiots who need yammering in their ears every few seconds or they'll get bored.

It really ruins the feel and suspense of a few scenes, and completely misses the point of one minor character.

IamQ

Mar 29, 2009
Porco Rosso
Spirited Away
My neighbour Totoro
Princess Mononoke

I didn't really like Howl's Moving Castle. The story is a bit too strange, too little is explained, and you really don't know the purpose of a lot of things.

I haven't seen Arietty or Ponyo, and their films before Totoro don't intrest me.

x EvilErmine x

Cake or death?!
Apr 5, 2010
Howel's Moving Castle, i love that film. If I'm feeling sad and I want something to cheer me up then I watch that film. It's beautiful and has such a happy ending.

Jul 5, 2009
Well probably Spirited Away at the time I first watched it as a kid(still good now but not as much of an amazing fantastical adventure when I watch it), and Princess Mononoke now. On a related note although I haven't seen too many Ghibli's, I have to say that Ponyo is simply awful, maybe a kid could enjoy it, but god, bleh.

Ultress

Volcano Girl
Feb 5, 2009
Howl's Moving Castle which is a good film about the horrors of war.Plus the more fantastical magical elements really work.Though it's insanely different than the book,that's ok. It uses the book as a jumping off point and the original author is pretty ok with that.

Kiki's Delivery service,I think I'm just a sucker for well paced slice of life but it's still a really nice movie.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Windknight said:
Its one that needs to be watched subtitled though unfortunately, as the DVD dub is... problematic (its not the same as the one I saw as a kid). The performances are great, including Mark Hamill as Muska, but the script plays loose with the original by wedging a lot of 'comedy' lines into moments that were silent or relied on the music originally. Cause the adapter decided kids are idiots who need yammering in their ears every few seconds or they'll get bored.

It really ruins the feel and suspense of a few scenes, and completely misses the point of one minor character.
The dub for Kiki's Delivery Service goes even further, by ruining the character arc of the protagonist at the very end.

Rhatar Khurin

Aug 14, 2008
I'm not usually a soppy git, but i do love Ghibli films.

My fave is probably Laputa or Kiki's delivery service.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I guess my are-

1 Spirited Away
2 Laputa: Castle in the Sky
3 Kiki Special Delivery
4 Howl's Moving Castle
5 Whisper of the Heart
6 Porco Rosso (I had to metion that film)

EscapeGoat_v1legacy

Aug 20, 2008
My favourite is definitely Porco Rosso. As much as I adore the other Ghibli films I've seen, I've enjoyed none of them as much as a film about a cynical flying Italian dogfighting pig who fights sky pirates over the Adriatic sea. It has an incredible dub, gorgeous animation and sounds (though that's a standard for Ghibli, of course) and a story that features surprisingly little of the magic that usually seems to be in the Ghibli films, particularly the Miyazaki ones. I mean, there is a pig who flies, sure, but that's kind of about it and it's sort of refreshing to see. The point is, Porco Rosso is great!

Freddy

Apr 11, 2013
My Top 3:

Princess Mononoke
Spirited Away
My Neighbour Totoro

I am a huge Anime Fan, but without a doubt Miyazaki and studio Ghibli are the best producers. I also really dig animes based on Video Games (Street Fighter, Art of fighting, Persona etc) and have quite a large selection of films and posters in my room. I am especially proud of my Street Fighter 2 poster I bought at an online shop for art posters [http://www.posterlounge.co.uk/art-posters/]. Great quality and it features the whole original 12 fighters! :)

darmelc

Jul 12, 2012
Most of his movies are amazing its and hard to pick which i like more but this is my list

1. Porco Rosso
2. My Neighbor Totoro
3. Princess Mononoke
4. Howl's Moving Castle
5. Castle in the Sky

viking97

Jan 23, 2010
I think It's more or less a toss up between Howl's Moving Castle and Ponyo, probably mostly because they're both so gorgeous. The big panoramic shots of the castle take my breath away every damn time, and the scene with the flooded streets in Ponyo with the fish going down the road always does the same.
Ponyo is also such a sweet movie, I can't help but smile when I watch it. Not to mention I loved the Book version of Howl's, so there's that.

I am pretty partial to Porco Rosso as well, probably the one with the best action.

DionysusSnoopy

May 9, 2009
Princess Mononoke definitely my fave was also the first one i saw. Nausicaa of Wind Valley is good while strictly not Ghibli is acknowledged as part of the collection and first film, I also recommend Howls Moving Castle as well, after just experiment and see what you like I plan to watch Arietty at some point, the Borrowers film came out when i was a kid so it would be fun to see the Japanese take.

WhyBotherToTry said:
I know nothing about the Ghibli films, only that Tales of Earthsea is meant to be crap.
I wouldn't say its crap its a pretty decent film (in my opinion) when put next to other animated productions but compared to other Ghibli films it is a little underwhelming but it was the first film directed by Hayao Miyazaki's son.

porous_shield

Jan 25, 2012
My favourite is Princess Mononoke followed closely by Porco Rosso and My Neighour Totoroo.

On a side note, I really enjoyed the credits for Porco Rosso where they took real historical photos and changed them so they had pigs in them where humans were in the real ones. There just something incredibly amusing about that.

YazBar

Jun 23, 2010
Howl's Moving Castle, I have seen most of Studio Ghibli's films and I'd say that HMC is my favourite, I'd even go as far as to say its better than both Spirited Away and My Neighbour Totoro.

Baron von Blitztank

May 7, 2010
I've finally been able to see most Studio Ghibli films thanks to Film4's recent "Studio Ghibli" season.
I'm halfway through watching all the films that were shown, but so far I'd say my Top Five go to:

Porco Rosso
Howl's Moving Castle
Spirited Away
My Neighbour Totoro
Ponyo

SomebodyNowhere

Dec 9, 2009
I'm inclined to go with Spirited Away, but I saw a very very good non-miyazaki Studio Ghibli film called Only Yesterday once and it was outstanding. I wish they would do a US release of it so I can see if I still like it as well as I did when I saw it that one time on TV.

FamoFunk

Dad, I'm in space.
Mar 10, 2010
I thoroughly enjoy Howl's Moving Castle, My Neighbour Totoro and Kiki's Delivery Service.

Ponyo and Spirited Away are also good, popular ones to try.