Favourite Video Game Soundtrack (Intro, In-game or final credit)

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
Hello once again Escapist.

Short and sweet what are your favourite gaming sound track that gets you pumped for a game and suits that genre/game well?

Here are a few of mine:

Need for Speed: Most Wanted (2005) - Disturbed - Decadence http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-e8u_4so8M

Need for Speed: Most Wanted (2005) - Hyper - Control http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxlxn3qjCAQ

Gran Turismo 5 - Daiki Kasho - Day to live http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHNfLg2_Bbk

FIFA 06 - Ashes - Embrace http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LD9sB3sBxfU

Mass Effect 2 - Suicide Mission http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2z28mutY1E&list=FLA5l7pftXfhIDBGTHbnQNQw&index=1

Comment and express your thoughts, when I have more in mind I will let you know.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Has to go to Braid. Beautifully atmospheric, contemplative violin music.

...Second place would go to Yoshi's Story. "Love is in the Air" was particularly brilliant.

That, along with the castle themes, which were slower, creepier remixes of the Dance of the Sugarplum Fairy, from the Nutcracker. Great game (albeit very short & easy), great soundtrack.

Captcha: "Background noise". Don't be disparaging about game soundtracks, Captcha!

madwarper

Mar 17, 2011

As for in game, gotta go with Disgaea.

TehCookie

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2008
Machi no Kioku from Persona 3 is my favorite song, but I'm going to post this because it's awesome even though I never played the game:

I love too many soundtracks to pick a favorite. Chrono Cross, anything by Shoji Meguro, Katamari, Metal Gear Rising and even more. I can't choose one.

Pyramid Head

Jun 19, 2011
I have a few. While i'm not one to understate my love for Akria Yamaoka in even the crappy Silent Hills:

I also was very fond of Bastion's soundtrack. Simple but addicting, and damnit but was Logan Cunningham's voice awesome:

Still, in the end, nothing hits at home quite like my favorite, the Shadow of the Colossus soundtrack.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Right just gonna get it out of the way:

I can actually sing it word for word now, I have and always will sing along to the chorus.

Also the BlazBlue soundtrack overall is the best video game music ever made. Just the amount of thought that goes into each character's individual theme is great.

"I am Kusanagi, the destroyer of all!"

How they managed to write a song that practically conveys Hazama's entire essence is beyond me. Hazama is the best villain in video game, no all time ever history.

Quickly going to congratulate whoever came up with the stylish black hat and suit combo. Coolest looking villain you have ever seen.

InfernalGrape

Jun 3, 2012
The reason i prefer videogame soundtracks instead of movies' ost is the higher amount of freedom.
Oops, what was I saying?..

1) Journey to Silius maybe has the best NES music, maybe not =)
But it's amazingly melodic

2) Unlimited Saga. You thought Masashi Hamauzu is not so good replacement of Uematsu-san in late FF?
The thing, that he had his masterpieces too. Unlimited Saga combines beautiful orchestral and fluent electronica (search Time-Space Travels song)

3) Shin Megami Tensei NINE. Mostly it has new arranges for old SMT 1 tracks. Very unique feel. Funky =)

4) Rayhanber III. Pretty easy-to-listen synth rock with 80s vibe

5) Armored Core Nexus - very dreamy techno/or what's that

bonus) Gleylancer. One of strongest Genesis' soundtracks. A miracle.

p.s.
i'll post more.

Able Seacat

Jun 18, 2012
I've always felt Halo did well with it's soundtrack, ODST is particularly good.

I find this very relaxing. Looking forward to Lightning returns :)

Loved this game and has my favourite soundtrack. Jim Guthrie is returning for Below so I look forward to hearing more about that.

Parkway91

Sep 1, 2011
The entirety of the RDR soundtrack. I still frequently listen to the soundtrack alone.

jebara

Nov 19, 2009
My all time favorite is easily cornered from the first Ace Attorney,nothing makes you feel this pumped, nothing can elevate one game the same way, nothing comes close.

the next one is a recently remembered gem that is the original battlefield theme, easily one of the all time greats and gives the franchise a sense of character that distinguishes itself from other military shooters, its sad that its currently being replaced by dubstep noise.

The next one I haven't yet played but a few friends showed it to me and it gives off a vibe that runs a chill down my spine, I definitely recommend that you listen till the end.

The next one is from my all time favorite game, Persona 4 so pardon me if it reeks of bias, but one of the reasons I picked it is that carries the charm of the game and reminds me of the weeks that made me fall in love with gaming again.
Here is the reincarnation version if it is allowed,I think it makes the song even better.

ronald1840

Oct 4, 2010
Top 5 Favorite Video Game Tracks? Cool! I'll start with my favorite and go in random from there.

I see Atlus is walking all over this thread. Can't blame em.

Persona 3 FES - "FES" (OP)

Persona 2: Innocent Sin (PSP) - "Unbreakable Ties" (OP)

Catherine - Lamb Game Between Men and Women

Persona 4 Golden - Snowflakes (Winter theme)

Persona 3/FES Reincarnation - "When the Moon's Reaching Out"

Sp3ratus

Apr 11, 2009
Able Seacat said:
I've always felt Halo did well with it's soundtrack, ODST is particularly good.
I agree, though I prefer the soundtrack of the 2nd one:

and

Good call on Sword & Sworcery as well. Beautiful game as well as a beautiful soundtrack.

Other than that, these are some of my favourites:
Journey:

Age of Empires(1):

HoMM4:

Popolous: The Beginning:

Deus Ex: HR:

There are others, but the above are my absolute favourites.

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013
Well, Xenoblade is sort of my go-to game when answering the question of favorite video game soundtrack:

However, BlazBlue has lately been giving it a lot of competition:

As far as opening themes go, it would have to go to Battlefield 1942:

And credits themes would go to Tales of Vesperia:

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
I can never make up my mind which one I like better, the Katamari theme or the San Andreas theme. Both kick ass for completely different reasons. Katamari theme is like if The Go Team was completely Japanese and the San Andreas theme sounds like something Cyprus Hill would start jamming out on spontaneously late one night while really high.
Yea, this one wins:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtQjuV36KIU

CrimsonBlaze

Aug 29, 2011
I'll add these, since a lot of my own picks were already posted. I still love these tracks, though.

Disgaea 2 - Opeining

Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver - Kanto Wild Encounter

Sonic Generations - End Credits

DarkSeraphim02

Feb 28, 2011
Being a big Castlevania fan I enjoy most of the music in the franchise, however a couple of songs stand out for me, probably because I relate to the main character in these games.

I played through this game a few months ago for my mom since she had seen bits of it and was curious, and I had to seriously fight back tears when the second song was playing because, well, I relate to the main character quite a bit and, as my mom put it "Gabriel got screwed, big time."

*sniffs* ugh, listening to those tunes made me a bit depressed, I need to find something else to listen to now.

InfernalGrape

Jun 3, 2012
I promised to post more. So, get it!

1) Cool electronica from PS2's Shinobi

2) And this one from forgotten platformer Vexx

3) Beautiful sadness from Echo Night

4) Some dreamcast's classic - MSR!