FBI, Apple Deny AntiSec Hack

Sep 14, 2009
Kargathia said:
I'm almost hoping AntiSec can back up their claim - the ensuing shitstorm would be a thing of legend. It's one thing to have an embarrassing leak of questionable data, but to get burnt on denying it? Ouch.
truth, and right about now after what just happened it courts, it'd be lulz worthy for apple to get a slap in the face for this.

tmande2nd

Oct 20, 2010
Hacker: Hey your pants just caught fire
FBI: Our pants are not on fire
Hacker: I can smell the smoke...
FBI: YOU LIE!

This is what it sounds like.
I almost hope its true just so I can see the hilarity ensue.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Lvl 64 Klutz said:
BeerTent said:
Andy Chalk said:
"Also, before you deny too much: Remember we're sitting on 3TB additional data. We have not even started. The fact that the FBI has no 'evidence' of a data breach on one of their notebooks, does not allow the conclusion that it never happened."
3TB of additional Data from a FBI laptop? Keep blowing hot-air out of your ass until you got something substantial. You don't have to talk to anyone in the US Govt. to know they most money they pop into their hardware is clipping copper for security.

These guys don't have anything. If they actually have a list of UDID's, they probably got it from Apple.
That's the line that got me, too. I'm not quite an expert, but I'd imagine data this sensitive would be directly stored and accessed from a secure server. And if a laptop did have personal information on it, 3TB is an awfully large number.
At this point we don't know there those 3TB came from, if its a mis-quote, or if this new XXXsec is trolling, we as the public just don't have enough information to entirely confirm/disprove their claims.

Eppy (Bored)

Crazed Organist
Jan 7, 2009
COINTELPRO [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cointelpro]

The FBI has no compunctions about disinformation and breaking the law to achieve its goals; it is a very pragmatic organization at times. Needless to say, I trust them about as far as I can throw them. Antisec may well be trolling, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if this turned out to be legitimate. I know everybody loves a conspiracy theory and that they should be avoided, but the FBI has a public record of pulling stuff like this before; watching the situation is in all of our best interests.

Koshok

Jan 22, 2011
This story seems fishy to me. It seems like this AntiSec is simply looking for their 15 minutes of fame. They picked two big names, made up some sort of connection between them, and claimed to compromise both. I'm calling bulls**t.

porpoise hork

Fly Fatass!! Fly!!!
Dec 26, 2008
Koshok said:
This story seems fishy to me. It seems like this AntiSec is simply looking for their 15 minutes of fame. They picked two big names, made up some sort of connection between them, and claimed to compromise both. I'm calling bulls**t.
That is entirely possible. Thing is though chances are we never will actually know the truth of this. Only that it's a he said, she said situation and who's telling the truth.

Slayer_2

Jul 28, 2008
Am I the only one who thinks that the FBI and police agencies having a Twitter account is a little amusing. I can see why they do, I just think it's amusing nonetheless.

BaronUberstein

Jul 14, 2011
Because I'm that kind of ass, I'm just going to say "well, let's just wait and see what happens."

Because honestly, everyone involved has reasons to lie. :p

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
I'm just going out on a whim here, but I've taken a lesson from one George Carlin a long time ago and I'm going to apply it here.

I believe NOTHING the government tells me. Zero.

Zombie_Moogle

Dec 25, 2008
Antisec isn't exactly a group I'd trust outright, but I gotta wonder where they got all the information they've already released
It's also worth noting that the FBI responded in an uncharacteristically swift manner. People make crazy claims about them all the time, & rarely a word. Start looking out for arrests of hackers on the news. It's unlikely reports would get specific as to who or why, but Antisec sure as hell will shortly therafter

grigjd3

Mar 4, 2011
So basically, three organizations that I have absolutely no faith in are telling conflicting stories. Imagine that.

Zefar

May 11, 2009
I think they are baiting them. They might not have much to go on but if they keep posting "WE DID IT!!!1" they will have more places to look at while the hackers are angry that the Government or Apple won't recognize them.

But if this information just came from a Laptop I'm going to doubt it a bit. 3 TB on a laptop? Is there such a laptop to begin with?

Btw what was it that the hacker group tried to accomplish by stealing all that information? Why are they going to release it if FBI deny it?
Where they going to do any good with it? Well I doubt that.

Sougo

Mar 20, 2010
3TB info taken from a single laptop? Thats one hell of a laptop the FBI must be sitting on.

charge52

Apr 29, 2012
I don't care who's right, I just want this to devolve in an Antisec versus FBI flame war

Jun 5, 2012
nikki191 said:
Slayer_2 said:
Am I the only one who thinks that the FBI and police agencies having a Twitter account is a little amusing. I can see why they do, I just think it's amusing nonetheless.
it generally turns into mutual trolling if the us military afghan command vs afghan terrorists twitter war is anything to go by
wait I might seem dumb but I need to know, is that actually a thing

Slayer_2

Jul 28, 2008
nikki191 said:
Slayer_2 said:
it generally turns into mutual trolling if the us military afghan command vs afghan terrorists twitter war is anything to go by
The terrorists have a twitter? Oh god, this is ludicrous.

LordLundar

Apr 6, 2004
I call bull. Even 3 GB is a fair amount of data to get undetected and to pull that off would require being able to access the laptop for several hours and that's assuming the size is a typo. If it really is 3 TB, then the laptop would have been on and running unattended for several days. In addition, most organizations with security concerns have custom activity recording software that is controlled remotely. So to pull this off they had to have had access to a laptop unattended for several days, counter any tracking system the laptop actually has, and reinstate it without any trace of their activity on the laptop or any server point along the connection path. Odds of that happening are so small you need an electron microscope to find it.

Coolpilot

Shadow
Mar 1, 2011
LordLundar said:
I call bull. Even 3 GB is a fair amount of data to get undetected and to pull that off would require being able to access the laptop for several hours and that's assuming the size is a typo. If it really is 3 TB, then the laptop would have been on and running unattended for several days. In addition, most organizations with security concerns have custom activity recording software that is controlled remotely. So to pull this off they had to have had access to a laptop unattended for several days, counter any tracking system the laptop actually has, and reinstate it without any trace of their activity on the laptop or any server point along the connection path. Odds of that happening are so small you need an electron microscope to find it.
Let's not forget that, if the file is pure text, that you would get at least around 100,000 A4 PAGES of text per GB, which translates to over 100,000,000 pages of text per TB - possibly more depending on various factors & differing calculations. Even if it was meant to be 3 GB and not 3 TB, I too am calling bull on this one.

Unless they can come up with irrefutable proof that the FBI had the numbers (which would be required in a court of law), I ain't gonna believe these guys for a second.