FCC Turns Around On Net Neutrality With "Faster Lane" Rules - Update

marurder

Jul 26, 2009
I have to say this, I DO prefer the internet in China despite its censorship of many things (youtube, google blocking and new sites are my biggest gripe). It is however reliable, fast, and unlimited (and bypassed with proxies).

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Class action lawsuit by 97% of all companies in the US in 3, 2,...

In all seriousness though, this will never hold up in court the moment someone brings it up, and it probably will be before it even gets in the first stages of implementation. Say what you will about corporate control over things, this is one of those cases where the interests of most corporations and those of the citizenry are in the same place. If we're lucky, a few heads will roll, namely one that has to do with wheels.

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
Won't someone think about the poor corporations? Capitalism rocks and people shitting on it need to stop holding tight to their small paychecks and start giving more to corporations.

Yes, I am kidding. The truth is that I am hating capitalism more all the time.

zelda2fanboy

Oct 6, 2009
Rellik San said:
Welcome to the free market I guess... the worst part is this will impact EU net access as the drop off in numbers for certain services will see a price hike for us. :(
This isn't really the free market, it's big business greed destroying the free market. The government sets up regulatory bodies, corporations get their men in place, and use laws to force out competitors. It's why just about everything in America is messed up and getting more messed up. Use the law to fight competition and change the rules in your favor.

Mid Boss

Aug 20, 2012
This coming on the heels of Time Warner, the second biggest internet provider, being bought by Comcast the biggest internet provider. Comcast will be the only option in many areas which will not only raise prices and now they can throttle bandwidth to any company that doesn't pay up without threat of people jumping to another internet provider. On a related note, Princeton just did a study that found that America is no longer a democracy. But rather an oligarchy where the land is ruled by the rich and powerful with everyone else having no say in policy. http://www.policymic.com/articles/87719/princeton-concludes-what-kind-of-government-america-really-has-and-it-s-not-a-democracy You can bet your ass that Tom Wheeler has the CEOs of Comcast on speed dial.

McMullen

Mar 9, 2010
You know what the really sad thing is? These guys are able to make these decisions because we all agree they can. It is hypothetically possible for everyone to just decide at once to make Wheeler and people like him homeless and penniless where they belong. Unlikely, but possible. Instead, we continue to agree to let them have this effect on our lives.

wetfart

Jul 11, 2010
Don't worry. Everything will work out just fine. Especially if that Comcast/Time Warner merger goes through. ... Right? *Weeps bitter tears*

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
I don't see the issue... the dude is being totally fair.
/sarcasm

You have to laugh or you will cry.

Infernal Lawyer

Jan 28, 2013
Well, that didn't take him long to change his mind.

Anyway, I agree with those calling bullshit on the whole "pay to get a faster service" thing. What's going to happen is that you have to pay money just to get the current maximum rate.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
If it goes through, then it's only a matter of times until most countries hop on the bandwagon... Yay...

Entropywarrior

Aug 9, 2011
This is such f*cking bull. As a Canadian, thanks to Harper just copying everything the American government does, we now get to look forward to this in our future. I like how a telecommunications lobbyist is in charge of the FCC, clearly not biased at all. In what way does this represent the will of the people whom the government claims to follow? Democracy my ass, more like an Oligarchy at this point.

Zeterai

Oct 19, 2009
Entropywarrior said:
This is such f*cking bull. As a Canadian, thanks to Harper just copying everything the American government does, we now get to look forward to this in our future. I like how a telecommunications lobbyist is in charge of the FCC, clearly not biased at all. In what way does this represent the will of the people whom the government claims to follow? Democracy my ass, more like an Oligarchy at this point.
If I recall, this was already attempted in our dear Northlands. Harper shot it the hell down, more or less telling the minister in charge of it that if they didn't revoke the laws allowing it, he would, as I understand.

Aitamen

Dec 6, 2011
So all we, the little people, can do is hope that our individual ISPs don't fuck us over.

I feel like I'm pretty safe, with my carrier... but all those horror stories about having to pick between Comcast and Qwest(Now CLink) because that's all some people have (or worse...) man, I feel bad for those folk.

So... we hope Google (who officially supports Net Neutrality) gets their fiber-net into high gear? Hope we have one of the daring upstarts? Them's some slim pickin's when it comes to hopeful ideas...

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
Rellik San said:
Welcome to the free market I guess...
Corpocratic markets are not free and free markets are the last thing they want, they like the regulations, legislation and red tape because they use it to block competition and allow them to create monopolies and oligopolies.

They get themselves a few lobbyists, offer a few senators and congressmen (state and national) a chunky sinecure after they leave office and then they sew up the markets between them with price fixing and artificially limited services and supplies to increase the cost to the customer (or the opposite and flood the market to affect price). Any company that isn't on board with them or does to well and they use the law to shut them out, they also stifle small businesses and start-ups making it a slog for them so they can buy their patents, IP or business models.