FCC Votes To Accept Revised Net Neutrality Proposals

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Hero in a half shell said:
So when will the amended Bill be released for public viewing, as I take it we will actually be allowed to examine it as part of the public consultation, and not just expected to use our psychic auras to remote view it.
Didn't The Affordable Care Act teach you anything about politics? Reading and reviewing a bill before it's passed is utter nonsense and a waste of time. To quote Nancy Pelosi: "We have to pass the bill so you can find out what's in it."

OT: The way this guy talks, I almost thought he worked for Microsoft...

Oh wait, he was a major lobbyist for big-name telecommunication corporations, that explains his language.

I'll just leave this here...
?I am in this race to tell the corporate lobbyists in Washington that their days of setting the agenda are over? - Barack Obama, 2007 Presidential Race.

Oct 20, 2010
I will continue to sharpen my Longaxe in an ominous fashion until this is fixed.

Mofo thinks he has "scars" from back when he got denied as a Venture Capitalist? I make mockey noises at your supposed "hurt"

Captcha: Hey Brother ((which I hear in Hulk Hogan's voice))

Good point, somebody needs to Choke hold him like Laura Ling, then Leg drop his ass back to Beijing!!!

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
Well, time for the tech lobby to step in and fuck shit up. You can bet your asses that Amazon, Google, Facebook, Microsoft, Netflix and friends already have an army of lobbyists scrambling to bring this down. Hopefully they will succeed.

epicdwarf

Apr 9, 2014
You jackasses already know the public's opinion. We have sent you MULTIPLE petitions saying that this is the worst idea EVER! Do your damn jobs and restored net-neutrality COMPLETELY!

Gearhead mk2

Aug 1, 2011
Apart from big companies and their pawns, is there anyone who wants this? Anyone at all? I cannot think of a single reason beyond plain old greed for this. I live in the UK, but even from here I can see how badly this will mess up the internet. This is the same deal we had with SOPA, a badly-worded-at-best bill that could have horrible consequences around the world and in the future that no-one who made this has even bothered thinking about.

DerpHerpilous

May 16, 2013
SilverStuddedSquirre said:
I will continue to sharpen my Longaxe in an ominous fashion until this is fixed.

Mofo thinks he has "scars" from back when he got denied as a Venture Capitalist? I make mockey noises at your supposed "hurt"

Captcha: Hey Brother ((which I hear in Hulk Hogan's voice))

Good point, somebody needs to Choke hold him like Laura Ling, then Leg drop his ass back to Beijing!!!
Too bad he looks like a spray-tanned banana wearing a whack bandanna.

Colt47

Oct 31, 2012
Well, we can hope Google, Amazon, and Co. keep pushing against the guy. Doesn't seem like our voices mean a whole lot.

PoolCleaningRobot

Mar 18, 2012
Slegiar Dryke said:
is anybody else sick to death, of everytime something isn't going their way control-wise "D-d-DON'T! Job creation and recovery and think of the children!" XP BS, if anything a less restricted and less bought out of an internet would HELP because more people could utilize it to help their smaller businesses AND MAKE MORE GODDAMN JOBS!
Yes. It's bullshit. They say college turns students into liberals and it does a hell of a good job when it comes to social science classes. People complain when the poor stay on welfare and government services without realizing that unskilled laborers have no where to go other than jobs that earn just enough to lose government benefits but not enough to afford health care or food or rent in virtually all American cites. Getting rid of regulations is why companies can ship manufacturing jobs to Asia and big retailers can out buy any small business. It's the reason we pay up the ass for slow Internet and hd video streaming is considered "too much bandwidth" when other countries upgraded their Internet infrastructure to compensate. It would like having cobblestone highways and our ISP's are saying "well we can make one good lane for rich businesses". America has the biggest gap between the rich and the poor, high rates of stress and depression, and some of the highest infant death rates compared to other countries with more social services and all Republicans think is that we should give all the power to giant businesses like ISP's so they can sit on their ass and fuck us over

/rant

WouldYouKindly

Apr 17, 2011
I would like to know the logic behind the idea that maintaining net neutrality would threaten the economy in any way? You can't just say something is a threat without providing a reasonable explanation as to how it is a threat unless it's patently obvious, as in that bear is a threat. You wouldn't need to tell me it's because of the teeth and claws, because, hey, it's a bear, I know what those are. Net neutrality is not a bear to man nor can I see how it could be a bear to the economy.

BreakfastMan said:
Well, time for the tech lobby to step in and fuck shit up. You can bet your asses that Amazon, Google, Facebook, Microsoft, Netflix and friends already have an army of lobbyists scrambling to bring this down. Hopefully they will succeed.
And that might be the first time I ever say, "Hooray for lobbyists!"

Now if only it wasn't due to other lobbyists that we found ourselves in this situation to begin with.

DoctorM

Nov 30, 2010
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the first court ruling that the FCC didn't have the authority to MAKE net neutrality rules?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
JimmyPage666 said:
Mr Wheeler is likely being offered a senior position with one of those ISP's a few years down the line.
Mr Wheeler came from Comcast. Whether or not he gets another job with them (likely though it may be) isn't relevant because he's already got a vested interest. I know Scrumpmonkey already covered that, but it bears repeating. As far as a free market goes, this is the end result of a free market. That market allowed Comcast and Time Warner to form a duopoly that could afford to set policy.

vallorn said:
(Not his first snub to blighty but then the guy did have Winston Churchill's bust removed from the oval office
Yes, he snubbed the UK by returning a bust of Churchill that was on loan for the duration of the Bush Presidency.

Nowhere Man

Mar 10, 2013
chozo_hybrid said:
Is there any way for people not in the US to help with this, because I get the feeling it will set precedent for other countries to follow if they manage to screw the net over there.
Here's a good start for our international friends. https://openmedia.org/SlowLane If you live outside the U.S. please consider that form we need your voice as well.

How many of us Americans in this thread called our reps and voiced our concerns on this? It literally takes 3 minutes and believe it or not our reps ARE listening. I hate spamming links but I feel in this case it's important to bring this up again.

http://www.reddit.com/r/blog/comments/25gszl/only_you_can_protect_net_neutrality/

Here's a quote on that thread.

"Having worked in Congress for years (I live in California now) I must emphasize to the highest degree possible that calling/emailing your Congressperson and two Senators (and getting your friends to do the same) 100% works.
Here is why.
Very few Americans, despite having a country with millions of us, ever call their legislators. 100+ phone calls per office in Congress would blow people's mind. We receive that little contact from people despite each office representing 100,000s+ citizens. This is because so many people drink the kool-aid that they have no power or that money controls everything.
This is untrue. What happens is money wins when people never complain (to their legislators!).
Right now the cable and telecom industry are depending on your complacency. They thrive when you do not act because when they meet your representatives with their campaign contributions they point out "clearly if we were a problem, you would hear about it from your voters right?"
My fellow redditors, you helped killed SOPA to save the Internet. Now the free and open Internet needs you again.
Find your House rep
http://www.house.gov/representatives/find
Find your two Senators
http://www.senate.gov/general/contact_information/senators_cfm.cfm
P.S. Obviously you should contact the FCC as well, but Congress has the oversight power over the agency."

Edit: fixed the links

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
a letter sent to Wheeler and signed by House Speaker John Boehner, House Majority Leader Eric Cantor and others says that classifying the internet as a utility "threatens to slow job creation and jeopardizes our economic recovery."
Except that net neutrality and easy acess would actually increase job creation and quicken economic recovery. If your going to use threats at least know basic economics 101. Then again, a politician knowing economics is a rare sight indeed.

DoctorM said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the first court ruling that the FCC didn't have the authority to MAKE net neutrality rules?
the ruling said that the FCC cannot force net neutrality without classifying them as common carriers. the next logical step was to classify them as common carriers. but Wheeler does not make friends with logic.

Nowhere Man said:
whne your copying links either delete the numbers or disable Reddit Enhancement Suite. as it is now the links are broken.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
Gonna be kind of hard to convince anybody that you care after the first fat stack of lies when the net neutrality law fell to begin with. In the meanwhile, all this stalling for time (end of this year??????) is gonna give every single big fish the time they need to stack the entire deck against everybody else and grandfather themselves in so hard that they create a time paradox (in the unlikely case that a law that could actually be effective is ever drafted). If he was really interested, he should be drafting up something less sellout-ish right now and plug the hole already.

Geekeric

Sep 8, 2010
Okay, FCC, you want public input on this? You guys are not doing your job of protecting public communication. You have put the internet at great risk and you are all fired! That's right, your FIRED!

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
Nowhere Man said:
I've done all I can based on the info you sent, I've sent links and got them up on my social media too. Added my vote on that top one. Just wish there was more I could do.

gargantual

Jul 15, 2013
Giving all the power back to major media companies at the worse possible time. Before the internet took off, there were anywhere from 25 to 50 major american media companies, so where cheap pop and trends dominated there was always room for other kinds of unfiltered film, news, education, diverse music etc, now theyre pulling the plug when the largest global media entities can be counted on ones fingers, and web based media companies already running high cost of promotion. What happens when more of the new school starts getting calls about increasing bandwidth for discouraging price packages or looking at the end of the road.

This is hitler crossing the Rhine folks. In the domains of Disney, Viacom and Universal, you know how such tone deaf at the top megacons are and have always been with exploiting art and curtailing free speech to the ' not safe for TV' wall like careless oligarchs. Crushing a marketplace of unique talent and worldwide talent to impose more of the major media BS a lot our generation already ignores, and siphoning the peoples last bastion of independent income.

This might sound hyperbolic, but the future it looks like the only option for our children and grandchildren besides relying on other countries or mirrors for open knowledge and marketplace that wont be so strangled. might be right of CoD Ghosts. Someone might have to jack a satellite.

Sick of people using the market as a judges gavel to limit our expression.