Fear for the Future

SnakeTrousers

Dec 30, 2013
Broadly speaking, what sort of anxieties do you have regarding the nebulous future of our world?

For me, it's the increasingly blurry line between reality and fiction that makes me nervous. Entertainment is getting ever more pervasive and intense in our lives and I wonder if this trend will eventually come to a point where it becomes nigh impossible to distinguish between what's real and what's not. The problem of solipism is bothersome enough without giving it physical form, but it feels like that's what we're inevitably headed towards.

God, why does these thoughts always come to me at 2:00 in the morning.

Vendor-Lazarus

Censored by Mods. PM for Taboos
Mar 1, 2009
The pervasive surveillance and possible misuse of it when/if it comes under bad leadership.

The encroaching advent of the politically correct extremists and simultaneous surge of backlash in far-right supporters leading to civil war (especially in Europe).

Being turned into Grey Goo...

More or less listed in chronological possibility.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat šŸ
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
šŸ‡¬šŸ‡§
The possibility that our civilisation may collapse after that the vast majority of fossil fuels are used up, meaning that it would become far harder for any future civilisation to reach our level of development again without such a convenient fuel available. Wood doesn't have anything like the energy density of fossil fuels and would take an impractical number of forests to fuel an entire civilisation, whilst efficient renewables are complicated to manufacture, it's hard to see a Victorian level society suddenly becoming wind or solar-powered with nothing in-between.

On a different note, the rise of virtual worlds could fuel a new age of discrimination. Take for example the hate online directed towards furries and bronies at present. Imagine how much worse that could be if there were actually people walking around in virtual worlds as anthropomorphic wolves or pink ponies? I hope it would usher in renewed tolerance but knowing what people are like I can easily see virtual 'speciesm' becoming a big problem.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
SnakeTrousers said:
Reality and fiction that makes me nervous. Entertainment is getting ever more pervasive and intense in our lives and I wonder if this trend will eventually come to a point where it becomes nigh impossible to distinguish between what's real and what's not.
Hey? You mean news will get worse, or people will get their information from fiction? Cause lots of people learn about their nation's police from US cop shows, science from Star Trek etc

Vausch

Dec 7, 2009
That I'll continue to live in a society that values someone's ability to bounce, kick, or hit a ball better than others over another's contributions to scientific fields that make the world a better place for everybody.

That people will continue to consider making a buck off of someone's desire to learn the main focus of education, putting the prospective learner in debt just to make it easier for the people that kick and throw balls.

That I won't be able to be with someone I love because I can't afford the cost of living where they are and their moving isn't an option.

That I can't focus on what I want in life, or even things I like to do.

That I've ruined a thread some turned into humour with some genuine worries.

Kolby Jack

Come at me scrublord, I'm ripped
Apr 29, 2011
I think we are approaching a new age of prosperity. While there are bound to be some growing pains and plenty of issues to be addressed, people seem to care more than ever about the world around them. The idea that all the progress we've made could be undone by a cascade failure doesn't seem likely to me. People are too smart for that. I don't fear for the future, though I do perhaps brace myself for the bumps along the way.

Tsukuyomi

May 28, 2011
I think right now my biggest concern for the future is getting through the immediate future, meaning the future where generations with older concepts of how the world should be are still running the show and have a large amount of authority and power. For example I've heard some older folks here in America bemoan the fact that hardly any younger person they know takes pride in, or calls themselves, an American anymore. One of them going so far as to note that a lack of national identity is one of the early signs of a country on the verge of collapse.

I'm not sure if that's true, but I do feel pretty sure that it's not all that big a deal if I don't identify as American first. Hell, I don't identify as any particular ethnicity, really. What cultural background I come from isn't really all that important to me, and I'd imagine I'm not alone in that. Increasingly it seems like we as people have less problems with countries or a particular ethnicity as we do with particular PEOPLE. When I talk about "Sand Rats" I'm not talking about Middle Eastern people in general, I'm talking about the extremists who are so caught up in whatever fantasy their leader has warped their chosen religion into, that they're being completely obnoxious and barbaric for no other reason than 'My God told me to do it.' On the whole I feel bad for many people in Middle Eastern countries. Many seem to be stuck in the middle of conflicts that they never asked to be involved in. They don't seem to have a lot, and what little they do have is constantly being shot full of holes and blown up by either crazy people or foreigners. If they're angry, I don't blame them.

Seeing ourselves as inhabitants of the world first, as opposed to inhabitants of a country, faith, or ethnicity, seems like something reasonable to me. But I suppose you could call them the 'old guard' appears to feel differently. People around who decry that 'China will own us!' or 'You want us to all be Communists!' It's enough to make me want to headdesk, and it scares me. It scares me because as younger generations drift further and further from the ideas and concepts that these people hold dear, the more loud and desperate they seem to get. The Newsroom put it very well when they did a scene about how America is NOT the greatest country in the world. (to be fair the end is a bit sketch when he talks about moral reasons, since everyone has a different set of morals, but the gist is excellent regardless of what side of the politics you're on.) But these people don't seem to get it. They don't understand, and as they get more desperate to...bring back the old days, or whatever their goal is...I'm afraid they'll take more and more drastic measures. And I'm afraid that, good as it is for current and newer generations to be part of an increasingly globalized society, they'll be looking the other way out of ignorance when those drastic measures hit, and when they do see what's going on, I'm afraid they won't know how to fight back or it'll be too late.

I don't care which party runs the country. I don't care if Billy McBigBucks gets return on his investment of backing a candidate. (He shouldn't be holding that guy's leash, but that's a different story.) As long as we're moving forward as people, as a country, as a species, I'm fine with it. The reason I vote is to keep the craziest, desperate people out of positions of power. The ones that will genuinely try to backpedal and attempt to undo any progress we've made. That's all. Semi-apathy is one thing, but total apathy is bad. With the amount of young people I know who take very little interest in making sure we don't lose what progress we've made towards being better, I worry that some person with antiquated ideals will come in thanks to that apathy, and royally maul the system, making things worse not just for this country but possibly, due to economic and military obligations and interconnectivity, other parts of the world.

That's what scares me about the future.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Tsukuyomi said:
When I talk about "Sand Rats" I'm not talking about Middle Eastern people in general, I'm talking about the extremists
Yeah, "Sand Rats" probably isn't the best term to use then. Using a slur against a group, and then saying you only meant particular members of that group tends not to be a great idea.

Tsukuyomi said:
Seeing ourselves as inhabitants of the world first, as opposed to inhabitants of a country, faith, or ethnicity, seems like something reasonable to me.
Yes...providing we acknowledge that others don't share that. Otherwise we end up saying "but I don't see race/gender/sexuality", when talking about people being discriminated against because of their race/gender/sexuality.

Glongpre

Jun 11, 2013
I think there is going to be another war, not necessarily a world war, I don't think anyone wants to see that. But a long term fight against a group. And we are basically doing just that, but I think it will get more intense. I am talking about fighting against extremist groups. We having been fighting against Islamic extremists for more than a decade, and now more groups are popping up.
However, afterwards I think we will be better for it as a species, the vast majority are smart, just scared to stand up for what they feel is right. It takes a real bump for people to say it is enough, unfortunately. I can see a real change in how people see religion, and I think it will become softer, that is have less ridiculous teachings and shit. Be more accommodating to the needs of people. Be more lax, I am having trouble finding the words, but basically women will be better treated in the middle east, christians will accept some stuff. Everyone will be more forgiving, and accepting, which is how they are supposed to be in the first place, but that's none of my business. *tea*

As for technology, I feel we can only make our lives easier. The crap they are making now is crazy, they just created a super hydrophobic metal that literally causes water to bounce off it. Bananas. Companies are making their electric car patents public. They have been able to grow new hearts and vaginas and stuff. I mean I can only see good things in the future of technology.
I kind of want a cybernetic arm, like the terminator. I mean, I won't cut off my arm for it, but it has always fascinated me. To become stronger, and stuff, although it is kinda cheating haha.

Tsukuyomi

May 28, 2011
thaluikhain said:
Tsukuyomi said:
When I talk about "Sand Rats" I'm not talking about Middle Eastern people in general, I'm talking about the extremists
Yeah, "Sand Rats" probably isn't the best term to use then. Using a slur against a group, and then saying you only meant particular members of that group tends not to be a great idea.

Tsukuyomi said:
Seeing ourselves as inhabitants of the world first, as opposed to inhabitants of a country, faith, or ethnicity, seems like something reasonable to me.
Yes...providing we acknowledge that others don't share that. Otherwise we end up saying "but I don't see race/gender/sexuality", when talking about people being discriminated against because of their race/gender/sexuality.
Fair points. On the first one particularly I understand what you mean. It's not wise. I really do simply have a problem with a fringe minority that feels that the answer to the problems they see involve bullets, beheading, and trying to bend entire nations to their whims. Still, probably best not to use a blanket term if I have to dedicate six sentences to explaining myself.

Second point: also true. Having a broader identity doesn't mean you block out the problems. Saying that I don't care if the guy next to me is black or white, doesn't mean I don't see that we have some issues on both sides in terms of racial discrimination. We're probably not at the point where we can simply not see anyone that way, but I do feel like if you're of that school of thought, you're taking a step in the right direction. Did you step too far? Maybe. Are you going towards a good place? I think so.

SnakeTrousers

Dec 30, 2013
thaluikhain said:
SnakeTrousers said:
Reality and fiction that makes me nervous. Entertainment is getting ever more pervasive and intense in our lives and I wonder if this trend will eventually come to a point where it becomes nigh impossible to distinguish between what's real and what's not.
Hey? You mean news will get worse, or people will get their information from fiction? Cause lots of people learn about their nation's police from US cop shows, science from Star Trek etc
No, I mean that, as television displays increase in size, resolution and vibrancy, as screens surround us more and more and we fall further down the rabbit hole of VR, it's going to become impossible for our senses to distinguish between our fictional worlds and reality.

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
Colour Scientist said:
What if the next season of House of Cards isn't as great as the first two?
That's crazy talk. Unless Kevin Spacey decides to declare war on the entire world, I don't see how it can not be great D:

OP: Fear of not getting my predicted exam results. Fear that even if I do get into the university I want, it won't be as great as I imagine it. Fear that at the end of my studies, I will up to my neck in debt and no place in which to apply my knowledge. Fear that I might not be able to move to Canada and do everything else I want to do :X

For the general state of the world: fear that Russia might suffer another violent revolution if Putin keeps pulling his shit. Fear that Cameron might get re-elected. Fear that my country might get fucked even more by switching to the Euro. Fear that the games industry is heading towards another crash with current AAA development. Fear that the singularity might be taking it's sweet time.

small

Aug 5, 2014
well being a bit older everything i have feared would happen pretty much has happened. i was concerned we would end up in a surveillance dominated cyberpunk style dystopia where the environment is basically fucked and we have already reached the beginnings of it.

only things left are emergence of corporate dominance over governments and possibly a war involving nukes.

It still amazes me the attitude of people who say "well i have nothing to hide"

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
SnakeTrousers said:
thaluikhain said:
SnakeTrousers said:
No, I mean that, as television displays increase in size, resolution and vibrancy, as screens surround us more and more and we fall further down the rabbit hole of VR, it's going to become impossible for our senses to distinguish between our fictional worlds and reality.
We drift into the Matrix without realising it?

Um...I don't see that as a problem in the foreseeable future. Now, conceivably, a long time off, that might happen, but I don't see that happening in our lifetimes. If nothing else, you'd need to have more or less everyone doing that, or the ones that do will be at the mercy of the ones that don't, and probably dependent on them to keep the things running while they waste their lives away.

Gunner 51

Jun 21, 2009
I think I have to share Small's fear about heading into a surveillance based society, and when you end up dwelling upon it, it's quite frightening. Give me the days of unarmed security guards who wore smart, pressed uniforms and spiffy moustaches. For the law abiding, they were were approachable and friendly. Unlike the police forces of today who crap themselves when a member of public has the temerity to address them.

When you couple that with the rise of corporate power over the consumer, the increasing divide between rich and poor the erosion of civil liberty, increasingly apathetic and incompetent / corrupt politicians who wage stupid pointless wars and finally a generally more intolerant and angry society - the whole thing is a really unstable mix no matter which way you slice it.

Any more instability, I do fear civilisation will crumble into something from out Day of the Dead. Only the zombies are not literal zombies, and they're us.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Gunner 51 said:
When you couple that with the rise of corporate power over the consumer, the increasing divide between rich and poor the erosion of civil liberty, increasingly apathetic and incompetent / corrupt politicians who wage stupid pointless wars and finally a generally more intolerant and angry society - the whole thing is a really unstable mix no matter which way you slice it.
Er...that could describe a number of periods, including in living memory. Sure, there are problems, but they aren't new problems.