Featured User Group: The Escapist Gay-mers

Enemy Of The State

May 31, 2010
SharPhoe said:
Enemy Of The State said:
I see... now a lot of bisexuals aren't taken seriously because at first people assume we're attention seeking. It's almost like we have something to prove, which is unfair.
Indeed it isn't fair. Especially since people are more inclined to believe that a woman is bi than a man, just because some guys find it "hot".

Shame.
Exactly. I've known guys who have claimed to be bi for about a month and then 'decided to stay straight'.
Your sexuality isn't something you can choose to change whenever you want to, and people need to stop treating bisexuality as a fad or a fashion statement.

SharPhoe

The Nice-talgia Kerrick
Feb 28, 2009
Enemy Of The State said:
SharPhoe said:
Enemy Of The State said:
I see... now a lot of bisexuals aren't taken seriously because at first people assume we're attention seeking. It's almost like we have something to prove, which is unfair.
Indeed it isn't fair. Especially since people are more inclined to believe that a woman is bi than a man, just because some guys find it "hot".

Shame.
Exactly. I've known guys who have claimed to be bi for about a month and then 'decided to stay straight'.
It's nice to know that a decision like that is so easy to make on a whim. [/sarcasm]

But yeah, I completely agree, and not just with that. Something else that also bothers me is when people try to use being gay as a reason to get special treatment. You know, the kind of person who refuses to stop mentioning just how gay they are at every opportunity?

Enemy Of The State

May 31, 2010
SharPhoe said:
Enemy Of The State said:
SharPhoe said:
Enemy Of The State said:

Shame.
It's nice to know that a decision like that is so easy to make on a whim. [/sarcasm]

But yeah, I completely agree, and not just with that. Something else that also bothers me is when people try to use being gay as a reason to get special treatment. You know, the kind of person who refuses to stop mentioning just how gay they are at every opportunity?
I know the kind of person you mean. I never understood why people constantly flaunt their sexuality as if it somehow makes them better than everyone else. It's good to know that people are confident with themselves, but that doesn't mean they need to rub it in everyone else's face.

Vie

Nov 18, 2009
I would join, but the name of the group makes me want to garrotte people.

Plus I'm not exactly sure why I'd want to join a group aside from letting other people know what I like?

SharPhoe

The Nice-talgia Kerrick
Feb 28, 2009
Enemy Of The State said:
I know the kind of person you mean. I never understood why people constantly flaunt their sexuality as if it somehow makes them better than everyone else. It's good to know that people are confident with themselves, but that doesn't mean they need to rub it in everyone else's face.
Trust me, no one in the group has ever been like that. Probably because it wouldn't get them anything, of course.
Vie said:

Plus I'm not exactly sure why I'd want to join a group aside from letting other people know what I like?
Well, joining groups you're interested in does give you the chance to get to know like-minded people, which is always nice. And yes, I'm aware that the wordplay is atrocious, but the name came up on a whim, y'know?

Enemy Of The State

May 31, 2010
SharPhoe said:
Enemy Of The State said:
Trust me, no one in the group has ever been like that. Probably because it wouldn't get them anything, of course.
Vie said:

Well, joining groups you're interested in does give you the chance to get to know like-minded people, which is always nice. And yes, I'm aware that the wordplay is atrocious, but the name came up on a whim, y'know?
I wasn't accusing anyone in the group of that :)
I might join myself...

SharPhoe

The Nice-talgia Kerrick
Feb 28, 2009
Enemy Of The State said:
I wasn't accusing anyone in the group of that :)
I might join myself...
Knock yourself out, good sir. Our door's always open. :)

Devil's Due

Sep 27, 2008
I'm not gay, but I am glad that people can freely express themselves openly on the forums like this group. I believe everyone has the right to do whatever they please and be with whomever they please if it makes them happy.

Good luck with your group, and I hope it improves over time and gets more people to understand themselves more clearly and be more freely with others about themselves! :)

Alumit

Mar 21, 2010
This is great. I'm glad to see that society is becoming more tolerable for this proud community. I wish you guys all the best of luck with your group.

Peace~

2fish

Sep 10, 2008
Well I have known your group exists since I started digging through groups, however as I am not gay I never joined. I defiantly support your cause as I have one friend who is gay and another who is bi. If my friends can?t have the same rights as me then I am pissed. I did have one friend in college who said he was gay and he acted like Jack from Will and Grace? on speed. I never knew if he was serious or just trying to convince everyone he was gay, to this day I am confused by him.

It makes me happy to see all the open support for your group.

I do have one question; you can pm the answers if you don?t want this tread hijacked. Coming from your viewpoint of GLBT what bothers you the most about today?s society? As a straight male I don?t like the blind hate, or the misuse of the word gay, but I figure it might hit you a little harder than it hits me.

Let?s hope your group gets new members and renewed support from all escapists due to your time in the spotlight.

2012 Wont Happen

Aug 12, 2009
Jark212 said:
I hope those folks in Politics & Religion don't find their way over here...

Anyways I'm glad to see this kind of diversity in my beloved Escapist...
About 85% of my time on this site is spent in the Religion & Politics section. The vast majority of the people there are pro-gay, and the rest are at least respectful about it. I don't really know what you mean when you say "those folks" actually. Seems as if you've never actually been to the Religion & Politics section but just heard someone say that someone flamed them there one time and jumped on board the hate train.

Just how it seems to me anyway, could be wrong.

OT:

Its nice to see an article about this. Despite being straight I ended up joining the group due to the part in the group description where it was saying that straight people who were simply pro-LGBT should/could/can't remember exactly how it was phrased join too. Good group of people, supporting a good cause.

Timotei

The Return of T-Bomb
Apr 21, 2009
I find it extremely disheartening that this thread has been up a month and it only has 54 comments (up to this point). So very sad considering what a great group it is.

I almost find it insulting.

BakaSmurf

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2008
I never knew there was a group for homo/bi/transsexuals on the Escapist... Neat, maybe I should explore a little more rather than just going straight to the Off-Topic board, followed by logging off if I don't find anything that interests me... Well, anyways, just wanted to let you know you have my support, and say that's great that you fellas'* have a place to talk to each other about your problems and stuff, that whole 'family' thing sounds nice too, I hope this works out for you all.

However, I will never forgive you for that horrible pun. Never.

[sub][sub][sub][sub]...NEVER.[/sub][/sub][/sub][/sub].

DannibalG36

Mar 29, 2010
Oh? And since when did politics invade games? I game to have fun, not to get involved in nice oodles of political correctness. And you should too, Escapist. Support of social/political causes is a great way to ruin your journalistic reputation (then again, Fox does the same thing, and it's doing pretty well).

DannibalG36

Mar 29, 2010
Diagonal Horizontality said:
DannibalG36 said:
Oh? And since when did politics invade games? I game to have fun, not to get involved in nice oodles of political correctness. And you should too, Escapist. Support of social/political causes is a great way to ruin your journalistic reputation (then again, Fox does the same thing, and it's doing pretty well).
Yes. Because the collective journalistic reputation of the internet can be further damned by a site made popular by an Anglo-Australian tosspot who shouts at things. Nice looogic~!
I beg to differ. If a person takes Yahtzee seriously, he or she is clearly missing some important part of his or her brain that processes all things "wry," "droll," and "parodic."

On the other hand, this "gay-mer", LGBT thing is clearly meant to be taken in all seriousness - if it isn't, then you guys are merely hobbling your own group.

But in any case, Zero Punctuation is pure entertainment - and journalists are merely entertaining the masses ("entertaining" meaning "providing a fun diversion"). Why else would a person read the Escapist? News is enjoyable.

But now the Escapist has officially sanctioned a group that is hardly entertainment (and if it is, dark humor has reached new heights). Why, why has something so overtly political come into my favorite online magazine?

Why do members and supporters of the LGBT cause need more exposure anyway? Awareness doesn't breed tolerance - hate exists no matter whether it is directed at anyone or not. So, WHY?

Serenegoose

Faerie girl in hiding
Mar 17, 2009
DannibalG36 said:
Why do members and supporters of the LGBT cause need more exposure anyway? Awareness doesn't breed tolerance - hate exists no matter whether it is directed at anyone or not. So, WHY?
You've never read a history book in your entire life, have you? I'm sure Womens suffrage would have worked out just fine without the Suffragettes, if those women had just quietly sat in the kitchen I'm sure equality would have winged their way decades sooner! I'm sure racial minorities would have achieved civil rights if they'd just stayed quiet at the back of the bus.

Wait. Wait. This isn't opposite day at all! Equality is never achieved through silence.