Feed Dump: Dads, Drugs and Cricket

Blood Brain Barrier

Nov 21, 2011
Cricket is actually a hell of a lot easier to understand than Baseball, which both Canadians and Americans play (and expect the rest of the world to understand despite the fact no other country plays it). I don't even get why the American baseball competition is called the "World Series".

GamemasterAnthony

Dec 5, 2010
TitanAura said:
Kathleen is looking very... Tina Fey this week.
Maybe that's her costume. I can't rightly say...I'm too busy losing it after she said "jumblees".

That Vatican vs. Church of England cricket game, though. That was an unused Monty Python sketch that they decided to bring to fruition, wasn't it?

Barciad

Apr 23, 2008
Lady Kathleen said:
Scunner said:
Arghh, that Cricket terminology was all wrong.

There's no version of Cricket with 6 innings.
"Leg Over Wicket" isn't a form of dissmissal.
I have no idea what lily pads was referring to.
You don't want a bowler to bowl a beamer if you've bet on a game, unless you've bet on the side batting. I would result in an extra run for the batting side and an extra ball to face.

What is this, bush league?
None of us know anything about Cricket.
Nobody's perfect. I would argue that cricket is the greatest single game in human existence, but that's just my humble opinion. For the record though, there was an Anglican Bishop that played cricket internationally. Plus, three hours is deemed cheap and tacky within cricket circles. Real men play it for five days. Though we do take a 40 minute break for lunch and a 20 minute break for tea.

Don Reba

Bishop and Councilor of War
Jun 2, 2009
Blood Brain Barrier said:
Cricket is actually a hell of a lot easier to understand than Baseball, which both Canadians and Americans play (and expect the rest of the world to understand despite the fact no other country plays it). I don't even get why the American baseball competition is called the "World Series".
Baseball is a pretty major deal in Cuba and Japan.

Elijah Newton

Sep 17, 2008
Blood Brain Barrier said:
I agree that the 'World Series' is laughably inaccurate, but honestly I've tried watching cricket, in earnest, with my better half when we were in New Zealand. Totally impenetrable in ways that, say, rugby (about which I'm equally ignorant) wasn't. Though I have to admit, I was able to come at rugby with a sort of "it's like football (soccer) and American football" as a point of departure. I couldn't figure out how to filter cricket so it made sense.

I'm not a baseball fan by any means, but mostly because ( at least as a casual observer ) it seems too straightforward and boring. One guy at bat, one guy pitches. Hit the ball, run around the bases until tagged out. Or don't hit the ball and after three swings give another guy a go. Plus walks and fouls... I dunno, maybe it is more complicated than I'm expecting.

Waddles

Mar 16, 2010
Ahahaha the cricket sermons were gold. Pretty reasonable effort on the jargon off the tops of your heads too :p

Incidentally a Canadian player has the fastest century (scoring 100 as a batsman) in cricket world cups.

On a more serious note, since when have Italians played cricket? The Anglicans will annihilate them surely!

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
Fucks you up and makes your teeth to fall out
Remind me again, why people use meth?