Feed Dump: News Turd 80s Reference

Graham_LRR

Unskippable, LRR, Feed Dump
Nov 13, 2008
News Turd 80s Reference

The moral of this week's episode is don't cut off Christmas despite your nose.

Watch Video

Jan 12, 2012
I'm assuming that their buying the nativity sets if it's where their money is going instead of presents, but maybe they decided to get some really good woodworking tools.

Also, while they may have gone overboard, I can see where those parents are coming from; if my kids were being ungrateful little shits, I wouldn't shower them with presents. The naughtiness-present inverse ratio has clearly established legal precedent.

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
I hope person who decided that using drone in closed environment close to customers is a brilliant idea, gets fired or at least demoted.
Dammit how stupid someone needs to be to think nothing wrong will come from placing several high-speed rotating blades close to faces?

GamemasterAnthony

Dec 5, 2010
Did I miss something with the Homestuck reference at the end because I never got into Homestuck...and probably never will because the shippers in that fandom frighten me?

And Man

May 12, 2014
GamemasterAnthony said:
Did I miss something with the Homestuck reference at the end because I never got into Homestuck...and probably never will because the shippers in that fandom frighten me?
Nah, Kathleen was just wearing a hat that a Homestuck character wears

Conan_Edogawa

Apr 14, 2009
HA! loved the Nepeta reference at the end.

GamemasterAnthony said:
nothing to get, really. it's just one character's hat.

and, while I LOVE Homestuck, I won't fault you for avoiding it. especially now that it's starting to do some crazy shenanigans that are sure to leave new readers confused for a loooong time.

D.Strormer

Oct 22, 2008
Yeah, I'm totally in support of ungrateful little shit-tards getting screwed for presents. They don't need a whole new wardrobe, a new phone, and a tablet every school year either. Sucks, but rewarding bad behavior clearly doesn't work, I mean, look at American politics. We rewarded politicians for years and now, this.

Anyway, I'll be laughing all the way down the discount aisle because poverty is cancelling Christmas too, and I was only mildly misanthropic this year! Get used to life being shit kids, it only gets worse after your liberal arts degree!

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
I'll save you Alex!

"What's more romantic than the sound of BRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAH"

Drones are being abused, just like all new technology is!

Big warm news! :D

scw55

Nov 18, 2009
Thunderous Cacophony said:
Also, while they may have gone overboard, I can see where those parents are coming from; if my kids were being ungrateful little shits, I wouldn't shower them with presents. The naughtiness-present inverse ratio has clearly established legal precedent.
I'm not a parent, but I can see the logic in doing that. "Cancelling Christmas" though isn't what that is. Regardless of one's faith, Christmas isn't actually about the presents (when anyone gets to the age of no-longer-get-Lego/spoilt, you realise it's about having to spend time with family). I wonder who used that term for it, because it's untrue.
Giving away Nativity sets seems to lack information. If you're giving a Nativity set to an atheist, that is indeed being aggressive and contradicting. There's being *inclusive* and there's being forceful.

Jan 12, 2012
scw55 said:
Giving away Nativity sets seems to lack information. If you're giving a Nativity set to an atheist, that is indeed being aggressive and contradicting. There's being *inclusive* and there's being forceful.
The atheist thing is just a Feed Dump joke, I think. According to her blog:
"We will be choosing two families for the 12 days of Christmas. Each day we will deliver a different piece of the nativity. On Christmas day we will give them the last piece of the nativity, baby Jesus. That will be 12 nights of fun memories we will be making trying to deliver the pieces without getting caught."
It does not seem like they're forcing it on anyone; they're not showing up at the door and insisting people set it up in their bay window, just dropping off pieces. No word on the religious affiliation of the people they chose.

Also, did a bit of digging and found out just what was cancelled:
"Let me explain. We have not cancelled putting up decorations, celebrating the birth of our Savior, or any of our other heartwarming traditions. But, we have cancelled presents, Santa, and stockings. Their letters to Santa this year will be asking Santa to find someone who needs their presents more."

"The few presents they get from Grandparents and other families members will be more cherished because the quantity will be less. They can enjoy what they get rather than feel overstimulated with so much. Christmas morning won?t be less special without Santa coming. Instead we can enjoy our Cinnamon rolls, play games as a family, and truly enjoy the few presents they did get. There is a good possibility that Santa will be writing them a letter of how proud of them he is and perhaps put a few pieces of hard candy and an orange in their stockings."
http://www.overthebigmoon.com/why-my-husband-and-i-cancelled-christmas/

So yeah, it's not swearing off the season, just not giving the little snots a mountain of presents.

scw55

Nov 18, 2009
Thunderous Cacophony said:
scw55 said:
The atheist thing is just a Feed Dump joke, I think. According to her blog:
"We will be choosing two families for the 12 days of Christmas. Each day we will deliver a different piece of the nativity. On Christmas day we will give them the last piece of the nativity, baby Jesus. That will be 12 nights of fun memories we will be making trying to deliver the pieces without getting caught."
It does not seem like they're forcing it on anyone; they're not showing up at the door and insisting people set it up in their bay window, just dropping off pieces. No word on the religious affiliation of the people they chose.

Also, did a bit of digging and found out just what was cancelled:
"Let me explain. We have not cancelled putting up decorations, celebrating the birth of our Savior, or any of our other heartwarming traditions. But, we have cancelled presents, Santa, and stockings. Their letters to Santa this year will be asking Santa to find someone who needs their presents more."

"The few presents they get from Grandparents and other families members will be more cherished because the quantity will be less. They can enjoy what they get rather than feel overstimulated with so much. Christmas morning won?t be less special without Santa coming. Instead we can enjoy our Cinnamon rolls, play games as a family, and truly enjoy the few presents they did get. There is a good possibility that Santa will be writing them a letter of how proud of them he is and perhaps put a few pieces of hard candy and an orange in their stockings."
http://www.overthebigmoon.com/why-my-husband-and-i-cancelled-christmas/

So yeah, it's not swearing off the season, just not giving the little snots a mountain of presents.
So basically, internet journalism exaggerates again.
It seems really fair.

My college tutor complains about the stuff he has to buy for his children (because the children will feel left out cos their mates get lots of stuff). And I am thinking "DON'T GIVE THEM SO MUCH STUFF. When I was young, I had a £30 cap on a present(s) from my parents. Yes I was jealous of the stuff my mates got. But when I got older, I realised that my friend's families were struggling with finance because they had to use credit cards just to yield the amount of stuff they give their kiddies.

I think there's too much society pressure to spend money at Christmas. You see families who are not financially buoyant feeling compelled to buy crap just so they look/feel "normal". Who set this standard for consumerism?

Christmas, a Winter holiday, that celebrates the birth of the Great Man who chased out traders and merchants from a temple.

(The piece of nativity a day sounds quite sweet. Unless it comes across as a little stalkery)