Feed Dump: Spaghetti Warehouse Warehouse

Clankenbeard

Clerical Error
Mar 29, 2009
2xDouble said:
dariuseng said:
Does that mean my last name, which is Engineer, is illegal. I need to go get a lawyer.
If it was your FIRST name, yes.
Clankenbeard said:
So, there seem to be a lot of people violating this "no titles as names" rule. I can name a couple off the top of my head:
Prince (or the artist formerly known as)
Duke Elligton
Earl Campbell
Dean Martin
Marshall Mathers (though he does go by Eminem instead of his law enforcement moniker)

Methinks this judge needs a pride obliterating ***** slap from Judge Rhinehold (who is not a judge but is named as one).
First of all, except for Eminem's, none of those are given names. They are stage names, taken as the person entered into entertainment. Secondly: Earl, Dean, and Marshal were names in English before they were titles, and each have alternate meanings.
1. True enough for Edward Kenned "Duke" Ellington and Prince. But not so for Earl Chrisitan Campbell and Dean Martin (born Dino Paul Crocetti and changed it). Clearly you are right that stage names should not suffer the same scrutiny as a given legal name.

2. Does time enter into it? If a title evolves from a name, shouldn't that make the word as a name no longer an option? If "President" were changed to "George" tomorrow, no one could name their kid George, moving forward. I would argue (but not too aggressively) that Earl, Dean, and Marshal should still make the list. If there is the possibility of having a Marhsal Marshall, Earl Earl, Dean Dean, or Judge Judge then it merits weeding out.

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
Clankenbeard said:
1. True enough for Edward Kenned "Duke" Ellington and Prince. But not so for Earl Chrisitan Campbell and Dean Martin (born Dino Paul Crocetti and changed it). Clearly you are right that stage names should not suffer the same scrutiny as a given legal name.
Huh, I didn't know that about Earl Campbell. Clearly I couldn't be arsed to actually look it up... heh. I'm gonna have to stand by Dean Martin, though. He changed it himself, stage name or not.

2. Does time enter into it? If a title evolves from a name, shouldn't that make the word as a name no longer an option? If "President" were changed to "George" tomorrow, no one could name their kid George, moving forward. I would argue (but not too aggressively) that Earl, Dean, and Marshal should still make the list. If there is the possibility of having a Marhsal Marshall, Earl Earl, Dean Dean, or Judge Judge then it merits weeding out.
I'm not a lawyer, merely a knower of useless trivia. I would say it does, to an extent, unless the name has alternate meaning or contexts that can be used to specify and identify a single individual without additional context. To use the same example: "President" has no such distinction (by definition it is a nonspecific term), but "George" most certainly does.

On a related note: Finding an Earl Earl or Marshall Marshal are highly unlikely, due to the titles being severely disused, but there are, in fact, a number of Dean Dean's. The surname "Dean" is quite common, at least in America, and the title is earned by a surprisingly large number of people. Additionally, the first name Dean has been on the rise since the 40's (with rising popularity of Italo-American culture... and whatever Jersey Shore is. heh), so it is entirely possible (though very unlikely) to have a Dean Dean Dean. Judge, I believe, has been officially disallowed as a first name, but definitely exists as a surname (though no Judge's I know would consider studying law...).

Mok_Runner

Sep 27, 2007
In the late 1800s and early 1900s the name Captain was popular for boys. When did the law about not letting people have a title as their first name come into being? Oh, right, there is no such law. The judge in this case is letting their religious bias sway their decision, and has handed down a decision that is obviously illegal and unconstitutional. How did this even become a case? Who would bring this to court? Oh, that's right... dammit, Tennessee...

WarHamster40K

Dec 2, 2009
Lever said:
Mainer here, Bowdoinham is pronounced Bow-din-ham, dont ask me why...
Fellow Mainer. First response: "Bowdenham!" (or "Boat-nam! if you're from the County), followed by "Woo, we're on Feed Dump!", then followed by "Wait, what'd we do?", THEN followed by "... oh yeah, that." Ah well, better luck next time, Vacationland. o_o b

Mastemat

Jul 18, 2010
LoL Does no one know anyone named Marquis? or Earl/e????
THOSE are titles... and yet their name validity is allowed!

Weirdwolf

Jan 26, 2010
2xDouble said:
On a related note: Finding an Earl Earl or Marshall Marshal are highly unlikely, due to the titles being severely disused, but there are, in fact, a number of Dean Dean's. The surname "Dean" is quite common, at least in America, and the title is earned by a surprisingly large number of people. Additionally, the first name Dean has been on the rise since the 40's (with rising popularity of Italo-American culture... and whatever Jersey Shore is. heh), so it is entirely possible (though very unlikely) to have a Dean Dean Dean. Judge, I believe, has been officially disallowed as a first name, but definitely exists as a surname (though no Judge's I know would consider studying law...).
Here you go, a wiki link ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Igor_Judge,_Baron_Judge) to the soon to be ex-Lord Chief Justice of England and Wales and wonderfully named Igor Judge, he was incorrectly known by some as Judge Judge and also, just to wrap up as many titles as possible, he is Baron Judge, The Right Honourable The Lord Judge. Nominative determinism at its best!
Does this mean that all the slappers named Chastity, indecisive Constance's etc. will have to change their names?

Asuka Soryu

Jun 11, 2010
shrekfan246 said:
We are, we are, we are, we are, we are, we are, we are, highly amused by that song.

Messiah may be a title, but it's still not as bad as the names my mother's hippie friend gave to her kids back in the day: "Phoenix Rising" and "Spiral Walking-In-Balance". I wonder if they still go by those names...

xD I kind of like Phoenix Rising.

LadyRhian

May 13, 2010
There was an Archbishop of the Phillippines named Cardinal Sin (as opposed to his brother, Venial Sin?)

Rect Pola

May 19, 2009
Well, I guess Prince can go back to whatever that symbol he used. Good thing Duke Ellington is dead.