Feed Dump: Stowaway Pocket Calculator

Miyenne

May 16, 2013
That had me laughing the whole way through. The viscosity of a fat cat... So true. We had a huge maine coon that weighed almost 30 pounds, he did ooze everywhere. And still somehow managed to fit under things I could barely get my normal sized female hand under.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
I love that the TARDIS is becoming as ubiquitous as the USS Enterprise or the Millennium Falcon.

Alcaste

Mar 2, 2011
PrimePowerOn said:
Just a note: Cam mentioned that glass was a very slow flowing liquid. This is a very common misconception. This is a good link explaining that, though the arguments are kind of dense.

http://www.weburbia.com/physics/glass.html

If you want to ignore a lecture on thermo, you can just trust me. I'm a chemical / materials engineer. (B.S. from Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute in Chemical and Biological Engineering, M.S. from Worcester Polytechnic Institute in Materials and Process Engineering.)

Also, the reason for very old glass being thicker on the bottom (which is explained in the link provided) is that they used to use techniques that didn't give very uniform thickness. So, they installed the thicker (heavier) end down because it just kind of makes sense to put the thick bit at the bottom. Gravity and all. This is highly fragile glass we're talking about.....

And if you don't want to trust me, google it a bunch. Many sci/tech websites out there for you to find with explanations on the issue.

Sorry to call you out Cam! Hope it didn't come off dickish!
I took it as him saying 'glace', as in the culinary term for a very thick reduction.

mew4ever23

Mar 21, 2008
Pity that hat never made it into the Phailhaus, it would have been right at home.

Also, good lord, that cat is fat.

PrimePowerOn

Nov 30, 2009
Alcaste said:
PrimePowerOn said:
Just a note: Cam mentioned that glass was a very slow flowing liquid. This is a very common misconception. This is a good link explaining that, though the arguments are kind of dense.

http://www.weburbia.com/physics/glass.html

If you want to ignore a lecture on thermo, you can just trust me. I'm a chemical / materials engineer. (B.S. from Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute in Chemical and Biological Engineering, M.S. from Worcester Polytechnic Institute in Materials and Process Engineering.)

Also, the reason for very old glass being thicker on the bottom (which is explained in the link provided) is that they used to use techniques that didn't give very uniform thickness. So, they installed the thicker (heavier) end down because it just kind of makes sense to put the thick bit at the bottom. Gravity and all. This is highly fragile glass we're talking about.....

And if you don't want to trust me, google it a bunch. Many sci/tech websites out there for you to find with explanations on the issue.

Sorry to call you out Cam! Hope it didn't come off dickish!
I took it as him saying 'glace', as in the culinary term for a very thick reduction.
Any opportunity for education! Not sure if I misheard, apologies if i did!

Idlemessiah

Zombie Steve Irwin
Feb 22, 2009
ewhac said:
"It gets six more frames per second than the Antikythera mechanism."

That Cam has that word at his command (mispronounced though it was) is just amazingly wonderful.
Cam has ALL the words. Seriously, that man has one amazing vocabulary. Oh and science!

Tim Chuma

Jul 9, 2010
This is also a solid that behaves like a liquid, the scientist in charge of the experiment died recently
http://smp.uq.edu.au/content/pitch-drop-experiment

The cat is pretty active here
http://canadaam.ctvnews.ca/moncton-spca-helping-portly-cat-named-michelin-to-drop-the-pounds-1.1431771

The issue with people stowing away in the undercarriage of commercial airliners comes up fairly regularly unfortunately. There was a body that fell from the sky near Heathrow Airport that no one could identify, it had come from a flight from an African country.

Roofstone

May 13, 2010
How many of the hats do actually fit Graham? Looking back at it, I seem to recall a lot of the hats not fitting. Oo

ZakCanard

Anas Charisma
Oct 17, 2007
I was going to come up with a defence for the town of Failsworth, Lancashire and the hat company that has been their home since the 1900's, but then I remembered the town is also the UK and Europe HQ for the people who make those George Foreman health grills. I guess then I need to apologise.

Sorry.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
This episode was good from start to finish. And an extra heaping of nerd. Still, I would like to know the Earth's TARDIS to payphone ratio.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
The best thing about rare French 17th Century calculators is that by pressing down a special key it plays a little melody.