"Feeding Kids Meat is Child Abuse"

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Vegans have lost the Battle now they are losing the War... they are getting desperate and like all failing extreme organisations they only become more extreme and petty.

I'll tell you what IS child abuse, depriving your child of necessary nutrition by forcing them into an UNNATURAL Vegan diet.

For god sake Vegans, at least let them have milk and eggs. Babies, milk, come on you heartless bastards.

Archonic Energy

Feb 8, 2010
Verlander said:
Type in "Kill it cook it eat it" into youtube... a great show in the UK where they slaughter, butcher then cook animals in front of a live studio audience, then feed it to them... that show did more than Peta ever could. I eat meat, but if you really care about the little animals, then you won't eat meat after this show.

I would have posted a video, but I don't want to antagonise any veggies

Scratch that, I've found one which doesn't contain anything offensive

i liked that show.

i beleive that if you eat meat you should be made aware of where it comes from. that won't stop me eating my steak rare or roasting a whole chicken for sunday dinner but i understand that what i'm cooking used to be a part of an animal.

but animals taste SO good!

Thespian

Sep 11, 2010
Souplex said:
The younger you are, the more you need fats, iron, and protein.
Meat is one of the best source of all of them.
Not letting children have meat is abuse.
Edit: I suppose you could work around it with eggs, dairy products, and the like, but it wouldn't be as good, and I don't think PETA approves of those either.
Actually that's not really true, there are far better sources of protein that are nowhere as susceptible to harmful additives or food poisoning, nor do they carry as much fat.
A valid point would be that many of these are in less demand and can often be more expensive and are thus difficult to come by in impoverished areas.

Remember, humans only eat like, 8% of what food is available to them anyway. Cutting out meat might seem strange to you, but logically speaking a huge array of beneficial content is found in insects which are easily cultivated, sold and prepared. We don't eat them for societal reasons, but it's not abusive. Nor is vegetarianism for kids.

That's just as erroneous as insinuating that allowing kids to eat meat is child abuse, of course. Silly PETA.

skinnbones3440

Jul 13, 2010
Treblaine said:
Vegans have lost the Battle now they are losing the War... they are getting desperate and like all failing extreme organisations they only become more extreme and petty.

I'll tell you what IS child abuse, depriving your child of necessary nutrition by forcing them into an UNNATURAL Vegan diet.

For god sake Vegans, at least let them have milk and eggs. Babies, milk, come on you heartless bastards.
vegans do let babies have milk. it's called their own mothers' breast milk.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
skinnbones3440 said:
First off, biologically speaking, humans are herbivores. Calling us omnivores is a grade school lie like how Christopher Columbus set out to prove the world was round. We have intestinal proportions consistent with herbivores. Our saliva has carbohydrate processing enzymes, only present in herbivores
No, omnivores also have such enzymes. Humans are like most omnivores, ancestors were herbivores that adapted to eat meat and then became partially dependant on it.

Herbivore and omnivore physiology are NOT mutually exclusive!

"consistent with herbivores" =/= defines humans as herbivores.

Don't generalise humans with "most other" carnivores and gloss over the fact that for the past 230,000 to 1.5 million years we have been cooking food with fire, both vegetables AND meat. Our digestive system is in fact rather unique for the animal kingdom as we are so adapted to a highly varied and COOKED diet, we don't have sharp teeth or claws, he have hands to hold knives and spears.

most carnivores have large incisors teeth to aid in the act of predation, actually grabbing a hold of and killing with their teeth. Homo Sapiens do not hunt like that (at least not with any success). We kill with weapons and butcher with tools. Our molar teeth are very good at grinding meat, even better than the carnasials of the likes of wolves.

Proof of our omnivorous nature: we have no way of attaining vitamin B12 except from eating the meat of animals that CAN absorb/produce B12 and none of those are plants, only animals. We are dependant on meat (or milk/eggs that also have B12) to survive without artificial lab-synthesised vitamin supplements.

sylekage

Dec 24, 2008
Then apparently I was abused as a child. That's ok, I'll just abuse my kids too, circle of life my friends. (I'll feed em meat not beat them.)

Oh and PETA? Shut up. Go join Westboro baptist and go live in a meat free, gay free world.

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
TU4AR said:
zehydra said:
where it's placed doesn't change the truth or falsity of something.
You've turned a discussion about something specific into a grandiose "by that logic, anything/everything" discussion. Please keep context in mind. If you put a claim on a billboard, you should be held accountable for providing evidence to the validity of that claim. Don't start pulling out bizarre absolutes or you'll turn into this guy

You said that anything unsupported by evidence on a billboard is false.
That's NOT the same as saying "a claim on a billboard, you should be held accountable for providing evidence to the validity of that claim"

cicaba

Feb 28, 2009
The amount of anti vegetarian bullshit on this thread like warps my mind. I've now learned that not only do vegetarians get on their high horse and pull random easily disproved statements about how not eating meat is really good, meat eaters do the exact same thing with the benefits of eating meat just as much.

:'(

Nickolai77

Apr 3, 2009
skinnbones3440 said:
While I think PETA are a bunch of nut-jobs who over-exaggerate their claims, there are some prime examples of people being equally uninformed in this thread.

First off, biologically speaking, humans are herbivores. Calling us omnivores is a grade school lie like how Christopher Columbus set out to prove the world was round. We have intestinal proportions consistent with herbivores. Our saliva has carbohydrate processing enzymes, only present in herbivores. We have no sharp teeth or claws, speed, or hunting instincts consistent with that of a carnivore. Due to the length of our intestines we absorb fats and things that carnivores don't. No matter how much meat they eat, true carnivores CAN'T clog their arteries.

While, in the past, eating meat provided us with some nutrients that could otherwise be incredibly difficult to obtain, this is not the truth in today's supermarket society. If you live in a developed country you can eat a completely balanced vegan diet without supplements.

In fact, eating meat can be incredibly bad for you in more than just that it contains fat and can cause mad cow, salmonella, etc. Animal proteins make our blood acidic, which in order to balance our blood's pH, causes our body to break down our bones. That's why even though Americans put cheese on practically everything we eat, still have the highest rate of osteoporosis of any country because we also eat more meat than any other country.
I'm going to have to disagree, humans are omnivores. Off the top of my head, i would point out that humans don't have several stomach's and our appendix, an organ meant to digest plant matter, is a useless organ. Secondly, humans have canine teeth. They are just behind the incisors, and before the molar teeth, feel them with your tongue now. Anyhow, i did some googiling and this website backed me up:

Evidence of Humans as Omnivores

Archeological Record

As far back as it can be traced, clearly the archeological record indicates an omnivorous diet for humans that included meat. Our ancestry is among the hunter/gatherers from the beginning. Once domestication of food sources began, it included both animals and plants.

Cell Types

Relative number and distribution of cell types, as well as structural specializations, are more important than overall length of the intestine to determining a typical diet. Dogs are typical carnivores, but their intestinal characteristics have more in common with omnivores. Wolves eat quite a lot of plant material.

Fermenting Vats

Nearly all plant eaters have fermenting vats (enlarged chambers where foods sits and microbes attack it). Ruminants like cattle and deer have forward sacs derived from remodeled esophagus and stomach. Horses, rhinos, and colobine monkeys have posterior, hindgut sacs. Humans have no such specializations.

Jaws

Although evidence on the structure and function of human hands and jaws, behavior, and evolutionary history also either support an omnivorous diet or fail to support strict vegetarianism, the best evidence comes from our teeth.

The short canines in humans are a functional consequence of the enlarged cranium and associated reduction of the size of the jaws. In primates, canines function as both defense weapons and visual threat devices. Interestingly, the primates with the largest canines (gorillas and gelada baboons) both have basically vegetarian diets. In archeological sites, broken human molars are most often confused with broken premolars and molars of pigs, a classic omnivore. On the other hand, some herbivores have well-developed incisors that are often mistaken for those of human teeth when found in archeological excavations.

Salivary Glands

These indicate we could be omnivores. Saliva and urine data vary, depending on diet, not taxonomic group.

Intestines

Intestinal absorption is a surface area, not linear problem. Dogs (which are carnivores) have intestinal specializations more characteristic of omnivores than carnivores such as cats. The relative number of crypts and cell types is a better indication of diet than simple length. We are intermediate between the two groups.
http://www.biology-online.org/articles/humans-omnivores.html

mascus

Oct 13, 2008
Don't equate 'vegan' for 'PETA supporter'.

There are loads of good reason not to eat meat: humane, health, environmental etc.

I find PETA's actions extreme and do not agree with most of what they do, and clearly this claim is silly attention seeking that will be counterproductive.

But I find it a bit weird that people respond so aggressively to the idea of vegetarians and vegans.

CarlMin

Jun 6, 2010
Crazy_Man_42 said:
CarlMinez said:
Crazy_Man_42 said:
Ah yes PETA the organization where if they ever got their way will mean that animals will suffer throughout the world and just wish for death by a bullet or a knife because of famine and overpopulation.

And they say their helping animals hah
What on earth are you talking about? Are you seeing that the slaughter of animals in the mead industry is keeping down the "overpopulation" or what? I mean, I hope you're joking because this just sounds preposterous to me.
What I am saying is that if PETA was able to stop hunting and meat production like they want to, the animals would suffer from overpopulation which will lead to scarce amounts of food for them so they would start starving to death and because of the increase of population diseases will spread faster and affect more animals and will cause painful deaths.

I'm not saying that slaughter is the best option we do have laws that allow hunters to only kill a few animals every day to keep the population at a reasonable level. For farm animals they probably have a system to make sure they aren't all slaughtered in a meat factory.
Well, I hope you know that closing down the meat industry would actually result in less animals on this earth. Cows, pigs and farm animals are bred in masses to be slaughtered. If this industry was to be "removed", then the animal population of such animals would with all probability return to its natural balance.

As to hunting, well it's true that in certain forests, killing off a few animals now and then is necessarily to prevent overpopulation. But if animals were allowed to spread outside their restricted natural areas and into our cities and farms, overpopulation would still not be a problem.

I don't know, I just think it's a very offensive way of thinking. Surely, you wouldn't say "if amnesty international had their way, there would be an overpopulation of citizens in war zones because the children there wouldn't be tortured to death".

Gluzzbung

Nov 28, 2009
PETA have a long line of doing this. Did anyone see one of their new york protests last year where they put actors in large polystyrene (have I spelt that correctly?) boxes, like the ones from fish and chip shops, wrapped them in cling film and poured tomato sauce over them to represent blood, saying that "for animals to end up like these people is brutal and shouldn't be done." upon hearing this, my friend who'd taken biology told them that, actually, although we don't have to eat meat, we have carnivores which, I would guess, mean that it isn't really wrong either through evolution or through divine creation... needless to say the speaker stumbled a bit and we walked off. Honestly, people who are in PETA aren't bad people, but very misguided, sort of like the Nazis.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
skinnbones3440 said:
Treblaine said:

vegans do let babies have milk. it's called their own mothers' breast milk.
Aren't babies babies much longer than a mother can practically continue breastfeeding? While it is a great start for a babies immune system, why not take advantage fore how we EVOLVED to digest milk from other animals and continue long after infancy.

I mean if that isn't proof of our nature as omnivores, what more can vegans want? This is such a unique adaptation of humans, how our history of rearing animals in agriculture has been etched into our very genes! Sure a minority have actual problems digesting lactose, but similar numbers have diabetes... that doesn't mean we should never consume carbohydrates and live on a purely meat diet, that's just as crazy as Veganism.

Vegans just seem to want to ignore the past million years of human evolution and adaptation, rewinding to back when our ancestors weren't even walking upright but foraging for fruit and nuts. Humans are omnivores!

But if you want to got vegan... fine, it's your own crazy decision. it's like those idiots who say "I'm not going to fly in a plane, they're so dangerous!" to spite the statistics and facts of the matter, if they don't mind the far longer train/boat journeys.

I'm going to go make a bacon and egg sandwich, with a side of beans and freshly cut lettuce.

Ohhhhh it's sooo good getting the best of both worlds. I laugh at those foolish atkin/vegan dieters HA HA HAH!

Zay-el

Apr 4, 2011
PETA is so right! We should sue every single human being in the past as well, for committing such a devilish crime and even moreso for poisoning our young children! It's just about...I dunno...SEVERAL BILLION!!

Gecko clown

Mar 28, 2011
Seriously WHAT. They actually think that anyone is going to believe this. Yeah sure if you fed a kid mcdonalds or kfc every night, but I don't really class that as meat. Anyway isn't that kid on the poster eating meat. Because you can't enjoy a veggieburger so thats not what he's eating.

Cheesus333

Aug 20, 2008
I wonder how many people this advert actually converted... because I imagine I could count them on an armless man's hand.

If you try and force people into your way of thinking without providing any kind of valid reasoning, they are not going to agree with you. You would have thought that an organisation that spends all of its time trying to convert people would have realised this by now.

That's not to say it would be easy if they could compile the benefits of vegetarianism and sit people down to try and 'convert' them, because giving up delicious meat is just something most meat-eaters would not even consider. But at least it would be a step in the right direction, rather than "FEEDING YOUR KIDS MEAT MAKES YOU THE SCUM OF THE EARTH."

Mittens The Kitten

Dec 19, 2010
Lizmichi said:
God PETA go far far away and live on your la la pet filled planet..... sadly PETA is free to say what they want on this but I'd like it taken down.
The PeTA planet wouldn't have pets, they beleive ownership of animals is tantamount to slavery.