Feel Old As Teens Play Original N64 Super Smash Bros

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Feel Old As Teens Play Original N64 Super Smash Bros

YouTubers make today's teens play the original N64 Super Smash Bros with hilarious results

YouTube fixtures The Fine Bros' experiencing [https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHEf6T_gVq4tlW5i91ESiWg] the video games of yesterday.

Now, in their most recent production (the first in a planned series of retro-gaming themed episodes) "React" has placed a group of present-day teenagers into a game of the original Super Smash Bros on the Nintendo 64. But while previous retro-game "React" installments have ended in frustration or bewilderment, after some initial culture-shock ("1996? That's when I was born!") the enduring appeal of Nintendo's long-running mascot-brawler appears to win over its young newcomers - perhaps in a testament to the enduring power of these classic characters.

Since debuting on the Nintendo 64 in 1996, Super Smash Bros (a tournament-fighter featuring mascot characters from classic games) has appeared on almost every subsequent Nintendo console. The most recent installment [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/editorials/reviews/12317-Super-Smash-Bros-for-Nintendo-3DS-Review] arrived on the Nintendo 3DS on October 3rd, with a Nintendo Wii U version due in late November.

Source: REACT [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dgfxro8-iGw]

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Honestly the original Smash Bros has aged quiet badly in certain ways. The thing that pops out the most whenever I play it is how stiff some of the controls feel. Perhaps I was spoiled because I didn't grow up with the first Smash Bros and instead Melee was my first foray into the series, but I just am not a fan of the first one and will play any other entry in the series before it for the most part.

Also, we are now at the point in which 5th generation games are now retro...I'm officially a retro gamer now then! :D
Only a matter of time until 6th generation games are considered retro, and coincidentally at that same time I'll be considered old...

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
Whenever i play smash bros i always find myself thinking "I wish there was a next gen powerstone2 instead".

I think smash bros was ruined for me by my dreamcast.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
"Captain Falcon? Against Ness? That's child abuse."

Hehehe...

I know the point of these videos is to get that full retro experience but they've might have fared even better with the game if they booted up an emulator and used a 360/One Controller with it. I know that's actually my preferred style of play with SSB. Seriously, the 360 controller with SSB just plays like a dream compared to that old stupid N64 controller. (assuming you set the buttons right)

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
Smash Bros 64 is considered retro now?

Hell, I barely consider SNES games retro.

Retro is Commodore 64 and Atari.

rosac

Sep 13, 2008
This just reminded me of how much I need to have a smash bros night at my house, or something similar. Ultimategame for playing against mates!

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
Gxas said:

Retro is usually 2 generations behind. meaning that early PS2 games are now "retro".

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
Arnoxthe1 said:
"Captain Falcon? Against Ness? That's child abuse."

Hehehe...

I know the point of these videos is to get that full retro experience but they've might have fared even better with the game if they booted up an emulator and used a 360/One Controller with it. I know that's actually my preferred style of play with SSB. Seriously, the 360 controller with SSB just plays like a dream compared to that old stupid N64 controller. (assuming you set the buttons right)
Seriously? Other games I understand but Nintendo games? That controller isn't even fit to clean its CPU.

(joking aside. well a little joking)

What makes you think they'd have fared better? I don't think they are stupid by a long shot but it just seems Smash is alien to them in general and it actually seems like they might actually use the Wii mote when they play.

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
Eric the Orange said:
Gxas said:

Retro is usually 2 generations behind. meaning that early PS2 games are now "retro".
Can I simply refuse?

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
Gxas said:
Eric the Orange said:
Gxas said:

Can I simply refuse?
well that's the general definition. The personal definition is "what I grew up playing when I was a kid".

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
I actually have N64 parties at my house from time to time. This game actually held up just fine and it's the controller that is the biggest hurdle for newcomers.

Honestly, I would probably feel old if I'd had an N64 as a kid. I went PS that generation like the other 150+ million people as compared to the 35 million that got the n64. Something like the original Metal Gear Solid would probably make me sad. Those controls were weird too.

Oooh, or the first Resident Evil. Ugly and hard as heck to control.

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
Eric the Orange said:
Gxas said:
Eric the Orange said:
Gxas said:

Can I simply refuse?
well that's the general definition. The personal definition is "what I grew up playing when I was a kid".
Hahaha, well then I shall stay a kid FOREVER!

FIRST STAR TO THE RIGHT AND STRAIGHT ON 'TIL MORNING! *thinks of happy things*

uhohimdead

Apr 24, 2011
I feel that the reactions shown in the video were scripted and not entirely legitimate. Even if they aren't use to the controllers, they should at least recognize what SHOULD move the character (the analog stick) and attack (A&B). The chick not knowing she was holding a cartridge game was really annoying. Yes I understand it wasn't in their generation, but we still use something similar to cartridge (3DS game cards for example) it's not hard to make the conclusion about N64 games.

Porygon-2000

I have a green hat! Why?!
Jul 14, 2010
I don't know what it is, but I hate to is whole "-Reacts" thing with a burning passion. It's just so... Fake and/or stupid.

Still, 1996? Granted, I was 4 at the time, but still. Wow.

Harry Mason

Mar 7, 2011
Goodness, that girl with the red hair made me feel awkward.

Harry... You're 25... Keep yourself together...

Kenbo Slice

Deep In The Willow
Jun 7, 2010
Harry Mason said:
Goodness, that girl with the red hair made me feel awkward.

Harry... You're 25... Keep yourself together...
I'm right there with you man.

OT: That was an okay video. Not the best they've done.