Feeling Bad for Someone Makes You Less Smart

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Feeling Bad for Someone Makes You Less Smart

So that's how con-men trick you out of your money.

I've seen enough grifter movies to know how it's done. The long cons involve a lot of planning, sure, but the short way to nick a few bucks is to play the sympathy card. "My car broke down and I lost my wallet." "My baby is sick and some jerk just stole my purse with the medicine." Charlatans keep using these tricks because they work, and researchers may have finally proved why. The human brain can be thought to have two systems, one is the analytical system that deduces solutions to problems involving math or logic, and the other is where emotional empathy comes from. Anthony Jack, a professor from Case Western Reserve University, conducted a study published this week in NeuroImage and the results seem to prove that both systems in the brain can't work at the same time.

"Empathetic and analytic thinking are, at least to some extent, mutually exclusive in the brain," said Jack. "This is the cognitive structure we've evolved."

The study took 45 college students and asked them to answer problems while having their brains scanned by an MRI machine. Half the problems dealt with responding to emotions or to think about someone else might feel, while the others required physics to solve. The images produced by the MRI scan showed that parts of the brain we know to be associated with analytical thinking shut down when solving the social problems and vice versa. This process is called neural inhibition.

"We see neural inhibition between the entire brain network we use to socially, emotionally and morally engage with others, and the entire network we use for scientific, mathematical and logical reasoning," said Jack. A healthy brain is one that can switch between the two networks to have a well-rounded response.

The experiment might mean more than just knowing why con-men ply their trade the way they do. Jack thinks this knowledge could be used to change the way we treat disorders like autism. "Treatment needs to target a balance between these two networks. At present most rehabilitation, and more broadly most educational efforts of any sort, focus on tuning up the analytic network," he said.

Also, people in leadership positions need to realize the separation. "You want the CEO of a company to be highly analytical in order to run a company efficiently, otherwise it will go out of business," he said. "But, you can lose your moral compass if you get stuck in an analytic way of thinking.

"You'll never get by without both networks."

Someone tell that to the next games publisher who lays off half a studio after it ships a successful game.

Source: Eureka Alert [http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2012-10/cwru-era103012.php]

Earthmonger

Apple Blossoms
Feb 10, 2009
Greg, quit thinking of game development as a 9-5 job; it isn't. It's contract work. You don't keep a roofer on your payroll for a few months after he's finished your new roof. If a problem arises, you call him in again, then he's off to some other contract.

Actually, wouldn't it be nice if game devs were held responsible for their work in much the same way as a roofer?

newwiseman

Aug 27, 2010
I'm all analytical over here. Is it wrong of me to want to get into some sort of accident, nothing actually serious, so I have a legit reason for my insurance to cover an MRI of my brain?

Kevlar Eater

Sep 27, 2009
So... lesson here is, don't show any sympathy or empathy and one won't be scammed via feelings and you'll be all the smarter for it. Easy enough.

zerragonoss

Oct 15, 2009
Interesting but of all the studies I have seen this one seems the most likely to be wrong because of the use of only collage students. integrating emotional and logical thinking is one of the things that take longest to learn. Also school tends to discourage it as very few classes want anything but analytically thinking and discourage distractions.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
The title is taking liberties with the content again. Yeah, big surprise, I know.

Anyway, you have different types of thinking, that is not to say one must be inherently "smarter".

Thinking about how other people feel is still thinking, and people who aren't able to do that are going to be routinely accused of stupidity.

Now, one might argue that people might have an imbalance one way or the other, which would cause problems, yes, but that's not the same thing.

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
This is something I always had a strong feeling about, but it's nice to know that there's people figuring out the science behind it. When someone approaches me with dilemmas proposed in the OP, it always causes an internal struggle. It's actually like both sides fighting for the foreground, figuring out whether it's bullshit but simultaneously feeling like I'd be a dick if I let them continue to suffer.

If it's someone who's on the sidewalk though, clearly looking like they aren't doing well, I'll take my chances and spare the few bucks. I would only get a coffee or something with it anyway. Actually, one time a guy asked me "Hey, there's a $5 deal going on at Stake & Shake for a burger and fries with a milkshake, can you help me out?" I was hungry anyway, so I went with him and ate there, chatting for a couple hours. He said it was the best night he'd had in a long time and honestly, I couldn't buy much better happiness than that for 6 or 7 bucks.

But then there's always this...http://www.wilx.com/home/headlines/SPECIAL_REPORT_South_Lansing_Panhandling_Group_--_is_it_a_Scam_149063045.html

zz_

Jul 15, 2010
Idk about this, I mean the study seems half-arsed at best. 45 subjects, and the test was strictly divided (as in, a question about emotions had nothing to do with logic, vice versa) which means that it's not really very surprising that the half of your brain that isn't being used "shuts down".

I mean, why WOULD the emotional half be active while you're solving an equation?
The only way to prove that they in some way inhibit eachother would be to have scenarios/questions where you would be forced to use both halves at once, and I don't think it's easy to do that under controlled circumstances.

Quaidis

Jun 1, 2008
thaluikhain said:
The title is taking liberties with the content again. Yeah, big surprise, I know.

Anyway, you have different types of thinking, that is not to say one must be inherently "smarter".

Thinking about how other people feel is still thinking, and people who aren't able to do that are going to be routinely accused of stupidity.

Now, one might argue that people might have an imbalance one way or the other, which would cause problems, yes, but that's not the same thing.

I was going to say the same thing. The title has nothing to do with the actual content, and it's even insulting in its own way.

What was also exempt from the article as a whole was that, while one side of the brain does account for things like math, logic, reading, etc, the other (the part that makes you 'less smart') takes over for stuff like music, arts, and creativity in general.

FEichinger

Aug 7, 2011
The thesis of analytical and empathetic thinking being mutually exclusive does raise interesting questions in terms of artificial intelligence. Our devices are intended to work similarly to the human train of thought, based on binary logic. If we now assume the human brain is unable to have empathy run properly alongside said binary logic, it might well be possible that artificial intelligence will be solely logical - which then again leads to machines being superior to humans and concludes with singularity causing the end of humanity.

Uhm ... QED?

Piorn

Dec 26, 2007
I love how everyone can grab an idea in neurological research and twist it into a single, sensational fact.

Also, is that "We're only using 10% of our brain" thing still around?

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
So cold, calculating people are better at calculating... derp.

Well it explains why im so dumb, im the sort of guy who sheds a tear when he steps on a ant...

Daymo

And how much is this Pub Club?
May 18, 2008
FEichinger said:
The thesis of analytical and empathetic thinking being mutually exclusive does raise interesting questions in terms of artificial intelligence. Our devices are intended to work similarly to the human train of thought, based on binary logic. If we now assume the human brain is unable to have empathy run properly alongside said binary logic, it might well be possible that artificial intelligence will be solely logical - which then again leads to machines being superior to humans and concludes with singularity causing the end of humanity.

Uhm ... QED?
Prove that logical reasoning is better then empathetic reasoning at all times then it might be QED, but otherwise the proof would be incomplete.

samahain

Sep 23, 2010
"Empathetic and analytic thinking are, at least to some extent, mutually exclusive in the brain," said Jack. "This is the cognitive structure we've evolved."

Jack is one smart Jack.

However, the title of the article sorta-kinda infer that it's "brilliant to be a jerk".
I know some brilliant-yet-condescending people. Trust me. It's not very Darwinian to look down on the masses.

"Love thy neighbor" is good advice. But neighbors aren't total strangers by any lenght.

Fayathon

Professional Lurker
Nov 18, 2009
My grandmother loves to help those in need....

By offering to actually get them food if they're asking for cash to eat with, so she knows right were the money is going. It's simultaneously hilarious and disheartening to see how many people turn away from her if she's not dropping cash in their hands.

By the same note if I'm dropping money for charity I drop it at a local charity or soup kitchen to make sure that the people who need it get it.

EmperorSubcutaneous

Dec 22, 2010
"Years ago my mother used to say to me, she'd say, "In this world, Elwood, you must be," ? she always called me Elwood ? "In this world, you must be oh so smart, or oh so pleasant." Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant. You may quote me."

And I did!

And that's all I have to say, because this article made me think of that quote and I can't think of anything smarter to say because I'm too busy feeling bad for people all the time probably.