Feeling Fat? Don't Measure Your Weight Loss This Year With BMI

Batou667

Oct 5, 2011
Posting in anticipation of the usual floods of people claiming that because the BMI scale is inaccurate for the very young, very old, pregnant women and bodybuilders, they can stop worrying about their 40+ BMI and use more "accurate" forms of health management, like self-diagnosis and "intuitive eating".

As the article points out, BMI is primarily a tool for use at a population-wide level, and in that regard it has been, and continues to be, a useful way of tracking trends in obesity. On an individual level? It should be the first step of a diagnosis, one of many potential red flags that are then looked into more closely. Only an idiot (and, apparently, the US Navy) would use it as the final word in assessing health.

Kamurai

Jun 16, 2014
Marla,

Sorry it seems like almost everyone is barely talking about the article, but at least its mostly BMI talk.

Great to see your Podcast talk on the matter lined up fairly well with your article: good job.

elmerhoffman

Dec 27, 2017
I use BMI, lots of good weight loss calculators are based on it, you can read about it here: https://www.tipweightlossdiet.com/weight-loss-calculator/ . As for me I think it's quite effective for weight loss.