Feeling Safe in the United States

Azahul

Apr 16, 2011
For those of you that won't bother reading further than this, I went to the United States for the first time recently and, basically, have never felt more scared in my life. 'cos of the guns. Yeah, it's going to be that kind of topic.

Moving on, if any of you want a bit more information than that, then I'll start with some quick background about me. I travel. A lot. I live in Australia, but approximately one year in every four of my life thus far has been spent overseas. I've travelled by plane, by car, and as a child my family spent three years circumnavigating the world on a yacht. At present, I have been to every continent bar Antarctica, and a total of 45 countries. Most of these countries have been third world, poor, developing, or war-torn, and as a consequence I am not exactly unfamiliar with situations that could, potentially, be very dangerous. And yet recently, as I said above, I went to the United States for the first time not too long ago and the experience seriously shook me.

The experience in question wasn't exactly anything major. We were stopping over in some town, I forget the name (we were only there for the night before driving on to Seattle), and I, the geek that I am, decided to go check out a local videogame store. While I was there, browsing the shelves, a guy walked in with a gun. Not to rob the store, in fact, I didn't realise he had it until I heard him talking to the guy at the counter, who I figure must've been some friend of his. He must've only bought it recently, or something, because he took it out and showed it off and then put it away again. And that was it. But it seriously, seriously scared me, and I spent a lot of the rest of the trip rather on edge.

Now, I've seen guns before, and they don't necessarily scare me. Yeah, I'm a pretty big pacifist and hope that I never come into a situation where violence is the only answer. Thus far, it hasn't happened yet. I don't like guns, and I rather wish the things didn't exist. At the same time, I can deal with them, given the appropriate time and place. One of my favourite travel stories goes back to eating at a local restaurant in the Sudan during their civil war (this would've been around 2002-3, I think). We were with some American tourists we'd become friends with, eating our meals, when one of the armed militia came into the store. He was a big guy, in a flowing desert robe and with an AK-47 slung over his shoulder. Within a few minutes, we'd all introduced ourselves and a few of the American kids were getting their pictures taken with him. Very friendly chap. The point of that story is that in a time and place, I can handle being around guns. A civil war in a third world country where terrorism is rife, that is a time and a place I can see a gun being acceptable to cart around in everyday life.

What shocked me about going to America was that I saw guns being carried as if people were expecting to be caught in a firefight just walking down the streets. Now, I don't live there, but is the reality of the United States really such that people feel the need to behave the same way as someone in the middle of a civil war? It just seems truly bizarre. When I'm not travelling, here in Australia, I never see a gun. Ever. Even farmers I know don't keep guns, and Australian wildlife being what it is, I can kind of see how a gun could help fend off the inevitable attack by the local super spider.

So this, odds are, will likely devolve into a gun control debate. That's not really what I want to talk about, though. I'm more interested into whether people in the United States are really so scared that they feel the need to carry a lethal weapon on their body at all times in order to feel secure. Because to me, knowing that everyone around me could be concealing a gun does not make me feel remotely secure. It makes me feel like I'd prefer to be back in the Sudan, where at least they tended to carry the guns out in the open.

Also, the captcha is "know your rights", which given the subject matter is pretty funny.

Dec 14, 2009
I understand what you mean and it's just one of those things I'll never really understand about the States.

I can understand why some Americans have guns in their home for self defence purposes, but to walk around a city with a firearm on your person?

How crappy is your town if you feel the need to walk around with a gun? :D

Realitycrash

Dec 12, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:
I understand what you mean and it's just one of those things I'll never really understand about the States.

I can understand why some Americans have guns in their home for self defence purposes, but to walk around a city with a firearm on your person?

How crappy is your town if you feel the need to walk around with a gun? :D
I feel the same, and I feel you, OP. God damn, just the thought of having all these weapons around me...Ugh, gives me the shivers. When I walk outside, there's a chance that everyone I meet is a potential lunatic.
But at least he's not an armed, potential lunatic (or it's a far less chance he is, anyway, with weapons being harmed to come by here),

Jan 13, 2012
I can't help but feel envious towards your lifestyle. It sounds awesome :D

OT: I also can't comprehend why people walk around with guns strapped to them. Seriously, are people THAT paranoid? I understand the reason some people need guns but sheesh!

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
I spent about three months in the United States this summer and I can't say I ever felt particularly unsafe because of guns, aside of a shooting range I visited I saw maybe one or two guns which weren't in the possession of police officers. The fact is that you're rather unlikely to be the victim of a shooting unless you deliberately put your foot in it (e.g. try to rob a store, start on a gangster etc).

C F

Jan 10, 2012
Azahul said:
I'm more interested into whether people in the United States are really so scared that they feel the need to carry a lethal weapon on their body at all times in order to feel secure.
While it's true a small percentage of us do, my good ol' patriotic intuition tells me that's not the case with this guy. Like you said, he came in to the store and showed it off to his buddy. Perhaps that's all there is to it. Believe me when I say you can't really go around overthinking and overanalyzing small town Americans.

He has a gun, he's legally allowed to carry it around on his person, so he does. It's not so much that he expects to use it on a moment's notice at every turn (though he probably could), it's just there. Perhaps it's for possible emergencies, or it could just be the fact he likes his awesome new firearm. If you really want to know the "why", maybe you should have spoken to him when you had the chance.

It's not like everyone in the US is ready to start a firefight on the spot. If that's the case, more of the criminal shootings I hear about in the news would be two-sided.

General Twinkletoes

Suppository of Wisdom
Jan 24, 2011
What imahobbit said, where did you live in Australia? I live in a fairly good area, but my friend lives in a place where if someone wants a gun for illegal activities, they can get it pretty damn easily, and it would definitely be safer for innocent people if you could get a gun.
I personally would not like to be around people with guns, but my friends sure as hell wouldn't. It all depends where you are and what your situation is whether guns are a good idea or not.

Azahul

Apr 16, 2011
C F said:
While it's true a small percentage of us do, my good ol' patriotic intuition tells me that's not the case with this guy. Like you said, he came in to the store and showed it off to his buddy. Perhaps that's all there is to it. Believe me when I say you can't really go around overthinking and overanalyzing small town Americans.

He has a gun, he's legally allowed to carry it around on his person, so he does. It's not so much that he expects to use it on a moment's notice at every turn (though he probably could), it's just there. Perhaps it's for possible emergencies, or it could just be the fact he likes his awesome new firearm. If you really want to know the "why", maybe you should have spoken to him when you had the chance.

It's not like everyone in the US is ready to start a firefight on the spot. If that's the case, more of the criminal shootings I hear about in the news would be two-sided.
Well, a gun is a weapon. The vast majority of my prior experience with the things has been in places where people intend to use them as a weapon. Perhaps it is a tad irrational to go around assuming that everyone that has a gun intends to use it, but unfortunately that's kinda where my mind goes when I see a weapon.

To those asking, I'm not sure why it matters where I live in Australia. You can probably gather from my post that I clearly don't live somewhere where I would be accustomed to seeing guns in a first world setting, leading to my culture shock at their prevalence when in the States. It can be safely construed from that, I think, that wherever I live I don't feel it's nasty enough to warrant the use of guns.

And yeah GeneralTwinkle, I get the point that guns are sometimes, for want of a better word, desirable. That was sort of the point of mentioning all that travel experience. I've seen the parts of the world where, in order to stop the guys just across the border from trotting across and butchering your family, you might want to carry a gun around. Living in Australia, even the crappy, crime-filled parts of it, are not that bad. That's not an opinion, that's just a straight fact.

Angie7F

WiseGurl
Nov 11, 2011
I'm from Perth and Tokyo, but I have never seen guns there.
the only time I really saw guns was after I started working for the military in Japan, and then when I went to SAn Diego to visit relatives.

Even mugging in Japan is like pushing and shoving followed by a sprint down the ally.
The most horrific murder that happened recently is of a guy being beaten by a bunch of guys in a club with baseball bats.

Other than that, it is a peaceful as this.

SciMal

Dec 10, 2011
Azahul said:
So this, odds are, will likely devolve into a gun control debate. That's not really what I want to talk about, though. I'm more interested into whether people in the United States are really so scared that they feel the need to carry a lethal weapon on their body at all times in order to feel secure. Because to me, knowing that everyone around me could be concealing a gun does not make me feel remotely secure. It makes me feel like I'd prefer to be back in the Sudan, where at least they tended to carry the guns out in the open.

Also, the captcha is "know your rights", which given the subject matter is pretty funny.
Because they can... That's about it. Current interpretation of the Constitution says citizens have the to carry around guns, and some states allowed concealed-carry as long as you have a license (my state included). It's just something to do; something to talk about with other gun enthusiasts and lets you go shooting at a range or hunting with buddies.

Why are people gearheads/petrolheads? They fawn over a giant piece of machinery that costs thousands of dollars, burns fossil fuels, produces an awful racket, and is less efficient than mass transit and/or biking/walking unless you live in the sticks. Because people can, of course.

Would you have felt safer if the guy had come in with a machete or large knife? Would you have felt safer if he had come in with a taser and can of pepper spray? Would you have felt safer if he had come in a trained Rottweiler? Maybe. Would you have been in any less danger? Not by a long shot.

I'll take the guns over riding in a tuk-tuk on a highway in Delhi any day of the week. That's one of the most frightening things I've done.

Smolderin

Feb 5, 2012
Well, I live all the way down in Florida, in the Tampa Bay area, and there is really only 1 or 2 people I have seen publicly carrying a gun. All the rest were police officers. We do have guns in our house but their for defense purposes obviously, our neighborhood, while not the worst in the world has definite potential for someone to act stupid and try something they will end up regretting.

That said, It is not all of the states that do this. It just depends on what area your in.

CrimsonBlaze

Aug 29, 2011
Yeah. Coming from someone who has lived in the United States all their life, I can definitely say that there are too many idiots running around with guns. I want us to skip to the time when all guns are ID'd and registered to certain users or personnel ala MGS4.

That way, all these idiotic a**holes who want to act tough will have to do so with a knife or get eaten alive by second-rate nanomachines that they carelessly put into their bloodstream.

And yes, I'm aware that nanomachines don't eat people alive, but that would be an awesome adverse effect to further decrease the idiotic a**hole population.

Shadowstar38

Jul 20, 2011
It's kind of weird that the guy with AK was fine but the guy just carrying a pistol around scared you, even with the context. In the same situation I would have just looked at the thing then shrugged and went about my business. The likely hood of you actually getting hurt by one here is pretty low.

Dags90

Oct 27, 2009
Tony said:
Always afraid of getting shot one day (I'm American) TAKE ME TO JAPAN!!!
Yes, I'd much rather be beaten to death with a baseball bat. More peaceful, y'know?

Open carry laws are pretty restrictive in a lot of the U.S. I've been in over 30 states and the number of people I've seen carrying is in the single digits. Seen more kids on leashes than people with guns to give a comparison of how common they are.

MysticToast

Jul 28, 2010
I always find it interesting when people who don't live here in the states say they feel terrified coming here.

Maybe it's just a culture thing, but I find that notion kind of ridiculous actually.

EDIT: This is a country where you can drive a car at fifteen and a half years old (depending on the state). I'm much more terrified of those idiot drivers than any amount of guns.