Fellow Game Reviewers Support Gerstmann

Junaid Alam

Apr 10, 2007
Fellow Game Reviewers Support Gerstmann

Following news that GameSpot reviewer Jeff Gerstmann was fired, staff from a competing company marched to the offices of GameSpot with a banner that read, "We Support Fellow Game Reviewers."

According to some circulating rumors, Gerstmann's firing came as a result of a negative written and video review he gave to a Kane & Lynch, recently published by Eidos. Eidos has a strong advertising relationship with Gamespot's parent company, CNET, as evidenced by the game's heavy promotions carried on the GameSpot website.

The marching staff were Ziff Davis employees, and some of them worked for GameSpot competitor, 1UP. Their office was only two blocks down from Gamespot's.

1UP News Editor Patrick Klepek said, "Even though 1UP and GameSpot are competition, what's happening over there includes industry-wide ramifications, when the dust finally settles."

Gerstmann has said he is unable to comment on the terms of his firing.

CNET has refused to comment on the case specifically but issued a general statement insisting GameSpot's editorial integrity is intact.

Source: Joystiq.com [http://www.joystiq.com/tag/JeffGerstmann/]

Chris Evans

Dec 2, 2007
I am glad the guys from 1UP did their small piece of support, every little helps in this situation.

Shame Gerstmann can't say anything, but I am not really that surprised.

Just hope everything turns out for the best.

Lance Icarus

Oct 12, 2007
It's always good to see people join together when their integrity is threatened. Way to fight for your honor!

mrblackett

Nov 30, 2007
Has it actually been confirmed whether or not he was fired for the poor review? I've seen an anonymous source which, frankly, isn't worth the key strokes and absolutely nothing else. I know it looks very suspicious but how do we know he wasn't dumped for another reason?

It seems to me that Gamespot's rivals are using rumour to take shots at them.

Arbre

Jan 13, 2007
mrblackett said:
Has it actually been confirmed whether or not he was fired for the poor review? I've seen an anonymous source which, frankly, isn't worth the key strokes and absolutely nothing else. I know it looks very suspicious but how do we know he wasn't dumped for another reason?

It seems to me that Gamespot's rivals are using rumour to take shots at them.
It doesn't require a lot to make 1 + 1. Especially when the problematic video review was removed from the website.
At that point, you don't need it spelled out to know what happened.

Ownagecake

Dec 4, 2007
I never thought Gamespot's review were any good anyways. You have to look at the user reviews for the real thing.