Female Game Characters Photoshopped to Average American Proportions

Karadalis

Apr 26, 2011
dunam said:
Karadalis said:
They dont want to play as Bob the overweight office guy... they want to be nathan grayson
Nathan Grayson or Nathan Drake?
HAH.. oh boy what a slipup...

But hey.. i did say some people like to play as the villain right? XD

OT:

These characters even idealized as some of them are.. look healthy. They are not super skinny where the bones shine through like what happens in real live, nor do they actually propagate that "if you hunger yourselfe almost to death you too can be this successfull!". And in case of the legend of zelda the female is highly stylized and not even human.. just human like.

Fictional characters have zero impact on peoples real lives

WOPR

Aug 18, 2010
Because a video game in which people from all colors and shapes team up to kill a demigod who obliterates half the solar system in pulling a meteorite into earth needs to be more realistic in body shape...

Tell you what, you want to make a game with realistically proportioned females, fine. But have them do something realistic like their real-life counterparts do. Like make the main game about complaining on the internet, and make the loading screens have a minigame where you eat boxes of ho hos, chocolates, and donuts.

ILikeEggs

Mar 30, 2011
Johnisback said:
How exactly am I wrong? I wanted to show that Rikku's measurements (in that picture) are larger than in the picture of Kate Upton provided. Does my little 2 minute project not show that?
My mistake, I read your post and the measurements, but missed the text you added to the images. I assumed you were talking in absolutes.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
Why are you Photoshopping Japanese characters into American proportions? Japanese proportions are fine for Japanese characters and they are considerably skinnier than the US of lard.

verdant monkai

Oct 30, 2011
Well most real people aren't attractive. I'd say most people are actually rather ugly and unappealing.
And I'm no Brad Pitt.

Definitions of what is over weight are slipping (but definitions of what's healthy aren't). If we aren't careful we will end up like the future humans from Wall:E

If average women want to look like that let them. But video game characters are usually supposed to be special or impressive specimens not average people.

I other words... No one wants video game girls to look like this apart from fat girls with weight complex's

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
K12 said:
Is there any reason to think this is a feminist "Stop making everyone attractive" attempt rather than just illustrating that video game characters are much thinner than how most people look. An obvious point to you and me perhaps but something that people with eating disorders struggle to accept. You are not the target audience for these images!
Someone should have told the media that [http://i.imgur.com/AVrGEtB.png].
Also, the adjusted images look a bit overweight but not seriously so. They're certainly not obese.
Uh, no, the only one who is a 'bit' overweight is the cortana one, everyone else is very much ranging from seriously overweight to outright obese given the body proportions.

ILikeEggs

Mar 30, 2011
Wow, if it wasn't bad enough that the whole thing was poorly thought out, and even more sloppily executed, now the media is pushing it?

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
What I like most is how some of those articles declare it to be fact that "they're still badass!" and such.

Who the hell gave you the authority to decide this? I never voted for such an outcome.

someguy1231

Apr 3, 2015
K12 said:
Yeah, fuck those guys trying to help people suffering with eating disorders!

Realise that these were made by a group specifically working to help people who are bulimic and anorexic... i.e. people who have warped impressions of their own bodies and what's normal or appropriate.
Just because their intentions are good doesn't mean everything they do is automatically "right" or "justified" or beyond criticism.

K12 said:
Is there any reason to think this is a feminist "Stop making everyone attractive" attempt rather than just illustrating that video game characters are much thinner than how most people look. An obvious point to you and me perhaps but something that people with eating disorders struggle to accept. You are not the target audience for these images!
The only reason they're "much thinner than how most people look" is because the world has become much, much fatter in the past 15-20 years.

K12 said:
Also, the adjusted images look a bit overweight but not seriously so. They're certainly not obese.
"A bit overweight" - really? Just "a bit"?

Dec 16, 2009
people sound so angry in this thread. my tupence; some of the after pics look attractive after being altered, I just fell in love with Helena.

how about something more useful like here's how they'd look at an obtainable healthy weight through a balance diet and exercise

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
chikusho said:
An organisation makes an illustrative point regarding body standards for girls with eating disorders.
Gamers flip the fuck out for no concievable reason, once again showcasing the tact and grace they so vehemently deny exists within the culture.
At some point you have to wonder if it's less about "games don't affect the real world" and more "the real worlds doesn't even matter to me".

Stay classy, gamers.
When I am in the midst of playing a game, I am immersed in the fictional world it creates. That's the point of the games I play (RPGs mainly) and that's where some of these chars come from.

The real world ought not intrude into this activity. The charm of it is precisely that it is not at all related to the real world. If you don't get that you don't get gaming culture or you play different kinds of games and not story-heavy world-building epics. In any case, this is still the reality and you have to live in a world with people who want their games and their real life to be separated by a wall made out of tigers, as someone very famous here would put it.

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
Mr Ink 5000 said:
people sound so angry in this thread. my tupence; some of the after pics look attractive after being altered, I just fell in love with Helena.

how about something more useful like here's how they'd look at an obtainable healthy weight through a balance diet and exercise
Because that would probably require more work than a day fiddling around in Photoshop...

There's alot of potential in the idea, but it was wasted so thoroughly I don't think they can come back to it even if they wanted to. I mean, they just chucked soft fat on them and called them more realistic when nearly every one of them are active as all hell and the better choice would've been to just add muscle.

K12

Dec 28, 2012
Zontar said:
K12 said:
Someone should have told the media that [http://i.imgur.com/AVrGEtB.png].
Uh, no, the only one who is a 'bit' overweight is the cortana one, everyone else is very much ranging from seriously overweight to outright obese given the body proportions.
I don't see how your link in any way goes against what I said above it.

Do you think that they look obese or are you just being picky with my use of the phrase "a bit"? I'd expect women of this shape to have a BMI between 25 and 30 (I know BMI is a fairly rough way of judging these things but we're making guesses based on still images of imaginary people so it'll do) which is generally considered overweight but not obese. The range were you could do with losing a few stone but not were you're likely to have serious health risks.

K12

Dec 28, 2012
someguy1231 said:
K12 said:
Yeah, fuck those guys trying to help people suffering with eating disorders!

Realise that these were made by a group specifically working to help people who are bulimic and anorexic... i.e. people who have warped impressions of their own bodies and what's normal or appropriate.
Just because their intentions are good doesn't mean everything they do is automatically "right" or "justified" or beyond criticism.
No shit... The fact that they aren't beyond criticism isn't a criticism.

However their good intentions are a counter-point to the idea that Bulimia.com has "no class" for making these images which is the point I was responding to.

someguy1231 said:
K12 said:
The only reason they're "much thinner than how most people look" is because the world has become much, much fatter in the past 15-20 years.
Again no shit. Do you think most people have acquired their mental illnesses due to an assessment of recent statistics? I'm not suggesting they get it from video games or even idealized, photo-shopped and airbrushed images or thin women in the media in general but how is this relevant to an attempt to help people with eating disorders who have a warped idea of how their body should look.

someguy1231 said:
K12 said:
"A bit overweight" - really? Just "a bit"?
I should have known better than to use such a vague inexact quantity like "a bit" on the internet. I'd say they have BMIs of between 25 and 30 so overweight but not obese.

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
Burned Hand said:
Dreiko said:
chikusho said:
An organisation makes an illustrative point regarding body standards for girls with eating disorders.
Gamers flip the fuck out for no concievable reason, once again showcasing the tact and grace they so vehemently deny exists within the culture.
At some point you have to wonder if it's less about "games don't affect the real world" and more "the real worlds doesn't even matter to me".

Stay classy, gamers.
When I am in the midst of playing a game, I am immersed in the fictional world it creates. That's the point of the games I play (RPGs mainly) and that's where some of these chars come from.

The real world ought not intrude into this activity. The charm of it is precisely that it is not at all related to the real world. If you don't get that you don't get gaming culture or you play different kinds of games and not story-heavy world-building epics. In any case, this is still the reality and you have to live in a world with people who want their games and their real life to be separated by a wall made out of tigers, as someone very famous here would put it.
So basically you just want the genre you love to stay the way you love it, and fuck the rest. I think that was pretty much @Chikusho:'s whole point.
Well, that's one way to put it, another is that he doesn't expect RPG's to conform to reality and the moment this kind of crap gets heavily involved, they stop being RPGs and reality stops being something he can get away from.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
Entirely because it is as it is, I like the genre. Nobody has the right to change it just because they dislike it. They can go on and find the thing they like and partake in it, as I have. It surely must exist out there. This just isn't it.

I don't know where the "fuck the rest" comes from. The rest are free to enjoy it as well and if they don't like it then they are free to do something else. What's the issue here?

Not everyone has to like everything. I don't like sports games but I don't go at a place where sports games fans mingle and complain. I don't need to. I have my own things that I like to be kept busy with.

If you have nothing you like and need to change things so that you'll finally get something that you like, all these different things are not the ones that have the problem, you do.

Leon Royce

Aug 22, 2014
Well, someone somewhere is going to have to go through eating this stuff for decades and showing the results to the rest of the world. As long as it isn't me.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/06/11/us-gmo-pigs-study-idUSBRE95A14K20130611

Leon Royce

Aug 22, 2014
Gundam GP01 said:
There is no scientific evidence that genetically modified food is any worse for you than 'natural' food.

Furthermore, there's no evidence that food grown using organic farming methods is any more nutritious than non-organic food.
In my option, the whole organic movement is just a scam to get poorly informed new agers and hippies to pay up to double the price for the same damn thing.
The purpose of organic food is to limit the body's exposure to artificial chemicals that the body was never meant to ingest. I know it's hard to believe for most people but the body is not made to take in small amounts of round up, DDT, organophsophates, nitrates, etc... over years and years. When GMO's were first introduced it was said they would be made to yield higher crops with less water, but as time has progressed companies like Monsanto have used GMO to make special strains that are resistant to their brand pesticides, to sell more of that pesticide, which kill everything else (See Round Up).

And that crap ends up in your body, doing god knows what at the cellular level.