Female Gamers of Bioware games

CrazyCajun777

Apr 2, 2013
I wanted to bring this up due to the upcoming release of DAI.

I honestly don't know if this is true, but it seems to me that there is a rather large female following of bioware games (i.e. the mass effect and the dragon age series). I have my own theories about this, but I would like to ask any female gamers around here who are fans of these games a question. Why are you a fan? the romance options? the story? character customization? alistair? something else?

plz comment below because I am keenly curious to hear from you.

thank you for your time.

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
I just like RPGs in general. I like Dragon Age as much as I like Skyrim (okay I like Skyrim slightly more).

Aesir23

Jul 2, 2009
All of the above?

Although RPGs have been my preferred genre for a long time now, the big reason I like Bioware games are the stories and the characters. They've always drawn me in and even if I've disliked a character I've still felt fascination for the motivations behind their actions or opinions.

Also, like another said below, I like that you can play as a female character and she doesn't feel like just an option. Essentially it's nice to feel like they took many different kinds of players into consideration.

I don't know if it's the character creator, the time put into the character, or being able to craft their personality, or all of the above. It just allows me to become so much more invested in the character and those around them to the point where I care far more about what happens to them than I do in most rpgs.

I will, however, admit that I'm not much of an Alistair fangirl even though he is definitely amusing. Despite all of the bile DA2 gets thrown at it (some of it rightly so) I am much more of a Fenris fangirl.

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
I actually like the gameplay of RPG's because I like controlling multiple characters, crafting builds and building a team to my liking and bioware makes RPGs so of course I've played a lot of their games. It also helps that RPGs tend to give you a lot bang for your buck and when I was younger I couldn't buy many games. They let you make your own character and give you opportunists to characterise them (I don't actually mid the illusion of choice, being asked to even make the choice adds something to me because it part of building that character)and yes that fact that I get to play women helps. They also tend to have good characters, background lore and sub plots though I tend not to be a fan of the actual main plotline so much.
I'm not playing them swoon over romance options or Alister. There are very few bioware romances I like at all and none I would play the game for though they seem to have gotten better at them (I haven't seen one as horrible a Anomen at least). It not something I relate to particularly well I've as never really been interested in pursuing romantic relationships myself. I would prefer they didn't lock so much of the character interactions and character development behind a romance wall.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
CrazyCajun777 said:

I honestly don't know if this is true, but it seems to me that there is a rather large female following of bioware games (i.e. the mass effect and the dragon age series). I have my own theories about this, but I would like to ask any female gamers around here who are fans of these games a question.
I'm NOT a female player of the Dragon Age games, but my girlfriend is. She's presently planning on buying the collector's edition and has been pining for it for a year. I can speak as to her tastes.

CrazyCajun777 said:
Why are you a fan?
She just loves the "Bioware formula". Loved Mass Effect as well. Also enjoyed KOTOR and Baldur's Gate, but the later more "cinematic" games seemed to hold her interest better.

CrazyCajun777 said:
the romance options?
Yes.

CrazyCajun777 said:
the story?
Yes.

CrazyCajun777 said:
character customization?
I would've said "meh" to this but she recently sent me a panting email with a preview of DA:I's character creation, so...yes.

CrazyCajun777 said:
alistair?
HAHAHAHAHAHA. YES.

CrazyCajun777 said:
something else?
I'm sure there are other things as well. She loves RPGs.

Longing

Nov 29, 2012
I've been a Bioware fangirl for many years now, and one of the main reason is the feeling that I'm not an afterthought for them. Bioware has been very good to female players and you can clearly see that they consider them a big part of the fanbase. That's actually the case for a lot of rpgs, but I feel like bioware go beyond what developers usually do.

I love the story, I love the characters, I love feeling like my choices matter (even if most of them don't, outside of dialogue, but that's still enough for me) and I love the gameplay. I love having romanceable companions catered to me, not just walking sticks with volleyballs glued to the chest area.

Bioware games have always been the ones I've been most excited about, pretty much every year. I will continue to support them as long as they have my back ;)

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
Longing said:
I've been a Bioware fangirl for many years now, and one of the main reason is the feeling that I'm not an afterthought for them. Bioware has been very good to female players and you can clearly see that they consider them a big part of the fanbase. That's actually the case for a lot of rpgs, but I feel like bioware go beyond what developers usually do.

I love the story, I love the characters, I love feeling like my choices matter (even if most of them don't, outside of dialogue, but that's still enough for me) and I love the gameplay. I love having romanceable companions catered to me, not just walking sticks with volleyballs glued to the chest area.

Bioware games have always been the ones I've been most excited about, pretty much every year. I will continue to support them as long as they have my back ;)
Yeah, pretty much this. Being not an afterthought is a big part of it.
Speaking strictly about Mass Effect and Dragon Age, I really find myself getting involved with the story and caring what happens (and that's usually hard for me, only a few games can do that). I enjoy how those games have characters that I feel were designed to appeal to people like me. I'm also hugely excited about the character customisation and getting to have choices within the story.

The romances are nice, too. It's not something you see a lot of. Usually when you have a romance in a game it's with a preselected female character, I like being able to choose, and I like the guys not being stock macho dudes.

Plus, with Dragon Age, I just love the setting.

Honestly, I'll probably forgive Bioware a lot. Dragon Age Inquisition is one of the few games I'm GENUINELY excited about.

white_wolf

Aug 23, 2013
I like rpgs more because I can be a woman after that customization options can make the game neat, lore I'll scoured for if I find a particular subject interesting, I'm a hoarder of loot like guns/swords, armor, and rare items like I'm still hunting down all the masks in skyrim and no one is allowed to touch them, the plot iteslf overall can be engaging but if its not it'll be mission to mission wise that'll keep me hooked, occasionally I'll role play my character like I played an Elf in DAO that basically is the reason why Rivendale has its name her last name is Riven but mainly I'm playing me in that world even though the me looks nothing like me I suppose she's an extension of myself in a cool universe taking on challenges. Romances while I do like them if I can't find anyone I love then I won't do it but if I can find people I like, can tolerate, or I am in love with (Garrus) then I really want to put these two together and really want it to work out in the case of Alister I'm still hurt over it how my elf can't be with but their story worked so well with the tragic aspect that I won't resurrect her, her story is just so complete even with her own death.

Saetha

Jan 19, 2014
CrazyCajun777 said:

I honestly don't know if this is true, but it seems to me that there is a rather large female following of bioware games (i.e. the mass effect and the dragon age series). I have my own theories about this, but I would like to ask any female gamers around here who are fans of these games a question. Why are you a fan? the romance options? the story? character customization? alistair? something else?

plz comment below because I am keenly curious to hear from you.

thank you for your time.
Hmm... I obviously can't attest as to why other female players like BioWare so much. I've heard it's because "Well, it lets you play as a girl!" but LOTS of other games do that, and I can't find a female-heavy Fable fandom for shit (Damn that's a lot of F's) So, can't really help in that regard.

As for why I like BioWare? I got into with Dragon Age: Origins, and I did so mostly because I wanted to play an Elder Scrolls game but had grown bored of the Elder Scrolls games I had - a friend of mine said they were very similar, so I gave it a shot. I really liked it (For reasons different from why I like ES - no idea what my friend was thinking in making that comparison) mainly because of the characters, I suppose. A certain character in particular...

CrazyCajun777 said:
alistiar?
What? N-no! Wh- why would you even suggest that? That's... that's...! Absolutely not!

*Quickly closes out of DA fanfic tabs*

Lies, sir. Lies and slander.

Sep 14, 2009
Saetha said:
alistair fangirl

I'm an alistair fanboy, so no worries, I'm swooning as well

OT: not a female, but was interested in the thread regardless.

Cidward

Jul 7, 2014
I like RPGs. I for the most part like BioWare RPGs, mainly because they pay more attention to story and character than most companies bother with. I am a woman who plays video games.

I don't think this is any grand statement on gender.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
the fact that aside from the usual option to play as a woman she's fully voiced

I know some people don't like this (for legit reasons) but personally it makes her feel less like an "option" and more like her own character

also the advent of gay options, I was never really into Shepard/kaiden warden/Alistair

Ladylotus

Nov 1, 2014
communist gamer said:
you do know that bioware is a LOT bigger then just DA and ME right?
How so? Of the four games Bioware is actively working on, one is an MMO, one is episodic, and the other two were already listed. The MMO was meh, and isn't really news anymore, and very little is known about the episodic game, so yeah, right now Bioware is basically just DAI, at least to the public.

Anyway, I'm a fan of Bioware games because I grew up with them, and still love them today. They are always the perfect blend of unique and predictable that makes them worth returning too.

Gamer87

Nov 22, 2013
Longing said:

This. The well written story, the characters, the choices, the voice acting, the immersive world and world building lore. And I'm not an afterthought. Bioware is a very inclusive and progressive game developer and I love them for that as much as I love them for being awesome in every other way.