Female Soldier Killed In Afghanistan

dystopiaINC

Aug 13, 2010
ok so a female soldier was killed by a bomb recently.

please read the article first
http://start.toshiba.com/news/read.php?rip_id=%3CD9QJHRK80%40news.ap.org%3E&ps=1018&page=1the

now one thing they kept talking about was the "riskes of placing women in the feld"
now that bothers me a bit. yes she is a woman and she was a soldier killed on duty, but how is this any different from any other soldier killed in action?

to me it isn't different and it kind of disgusts me that this is even highlighted. noe women you fought your asses off the get the right to be in the military does it bother you that people are even making this an issue?

ow i'm not saying a soldier's death is not something to be concerned about. every soldier is important and every death is tragic. but does the fact that she's a woman change anything at all? or is it just stupid crap that need to be stopped?

Giest4life

The Saucepan Man
Feb 13, 2010
"Military leaders and other female soldiers in the program say its rewards are great, even as it fuels debate over the roles of women in combat." The fuck does that mean? If a woman can meet the mental and physical benchmarks set by her particular branch of the military, why can't she then be fully allowed to serve in that capacity? I wasn't aware that having a penis could make bullets less lethal.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
Giest4life said:
If a woman can meet the mental and physical benchmarks set by her particular branch of the military, why can't she then be fully allowed to serve in that capacity?
I think that's what it comes down to. Some people think that because on average fewer women meet those physical and mental benchmarks than men, that obviously means they are ALL inherently inferior, and that even if a woman meets the benchmarks she somehow doesn't meet them as well as a man. It's thinking that's so backwards I can hardly understand it myself.

Owen Robertson

Jul 26, 2011
What I got from the second half of the first page was that it's a good thing women are there (more thorough searches, less bad blood from locals). But the sentence you quote does sound bad taken out of context. Culturally, those women NEED to be on the front lines. The counterinsurgency doesn't work if you don't win over the local populace, so these female soldiers are essential.

The .50 Caliber Cow

Pokemon GO away
Mar 12, 2011
Oh no, a woman soldier is there dying. Let's make a big deal out of it.

It was inevitable. Why does this mean they can't participate in battle if they choose to? The same risks apply to men.

Randvek

Jan 5, 2010
I'm not sure there has ever been a society that didn't believe in "women and children first." We've always valued female lives above those of males; it's a hard-wired survival of the species instinct.

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
Giest4life said:
I wasn't aware that having a penis could make bullets less lethal.
Oh man, you really missed out on that development! Balls to teflon coating; with the new penile enhancements bullets have like a 30% greater penetration rating!

But yeah, the fact that this soldier is female really shouldn't be an issue.

dystopiaINC

Aug 13, 2010
yes they are essential, i get that, and i agree whole heartily one of my friends just got home from boot camp this week and she went into the marines. she has every right to be on the front lines. what i was getting at is why is this even an issue? why does it matter that a female soldier was killed? she was doing her job like any other soldier. does the fact that she has a vagina make her death more tragic?

Mikkaddo

Black Rose Knight
Jan 19, 2008
dystopiaINC said:

http://start.toshiba.com/news/read.php?rip_id=%3CD9QJHRK80%40news.ap.org%3E&ps=1018&page=1the

now one thing they kept talking about was the "riskes of placing women in the feld"
now that bothers me a bit. yes she is a woman and she was a soldier killed on duty, but how is this any different from any other soldier killed in action?

to me it isn't different and it kind of disgusts me that this is even highlighted. noe women you fought your asses off the get the right to be in the military does it bother you that people are even making this an issue?

ow i'm not saying a soldier's death is not something to be concerned about. every soldier is important and every death is tragic. but does the fact that she's a woman change anything at all? or is it just stupid crap that need to be stopped?
Well the problem is the same as anything else that's not white middle class male between 20 and 40. It's always going to be a label. Even more so for the military, she's a woman so suddenly it's a shocking and tragic event that a woman died in action. Let me ask you this: how many men have died from the same thing this year? where are their singled out articles stating how tragic it is that their lives were lost? quite simply the media doesn't view men and women the same way. Women are seen as weaker by nature and thusly it's considered worse that a woman was killed than a man. Because even though male soldiers have died in the same situation up to now "oh no! a girl was killed! you have to be a real sick bastard to kill a woman!"

Frankly it's disgusting that it's treated this way, but that's the world we're in . . . what we can do is do our damndest to teach our kids better.

InfiniteSingularity

Apr 9, 2010
HOLYFUCKINGSHITACHICKDIEDINAFUCKINGWARWEHAVETOPROTECTTHEMSOWECANHAVEHOTSEXANDTITSANDSHITANDSO
BITCHESCANMAKEUSSANDWICHESANDSHIT...

No.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Not that big a deal for us. Canadians have women and men serving in combat roles in Afghanistan. We apparently have one of the most gender integrated armies on the planet.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Well, you don't become a soldier without knowing that there's a high risk of death.

Also, I don't think that article said what you think it said.

hightide

Kittenkiller
Jun 17, 2009
Sober Thal said:
dystopiaINC said:

The article is praising women for their role in the mid-east ops ... Did you read the other pages, or just the first page 4 times? They don't even mention "riskes of placing women in the feld" once to set up the piece, not the way you seen to be implying anyway. (spelling fail too)

-'so far commanders agree the program (women in the front lines) has been a success. '-

-"When 71 percent of the population are women and children, you have to have buy-in from a greater number of people in the villages to really connect with them, and to understand really what's going on. Because of that female-to-female connection, that can be achieved,"-

EDIT: -'Her death, in a bomb explosion in the Taliban heartland of Kandahar, underscores the risks of placing women with elite U.S. special operations teams working in remote villages.'-

You are missing the bigger picture here, and what the article is about me thinks...

That or you're just pulling your own personal FOX NEWS style reporting...

EDIT: Now a bunch of people are going to post without reading the article.... again.... why am I not surprised.... Thanks OP.

If people keep posting like this, it's going to be as bad as when Greg Tito wrote about 'proposing to abort all African-American babies'.
I don't have anything to add but I feel like I needed to second this appraisal of the article. Actually, I find it funny to see people getting worked up over something that isn't what the author meant (the author used the soldier's death as a segway to talk about the larger role women are playing in todays military)... It just shows people of all political backgrounds like to get worked up over stuff (its like we are all just people or something).

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Sober Thal said:
It bothers me (more than it should) when threads like this pop up and no one seems to read the article in question.
Seems a tad odd when the OP specifically told posters to read the article before posting.

Shock and Awe

Winter is Coming
Sep 6, 2008
The reason this story was highlighted is because the lieutenant was killed doing something that is not only something women could do just as good as the men, but in fact the women were the only ones who could. She was also working with a Special Operations team which is highly unusual.

Duruznik

Aug 16, 2009
Shock and Awe said:
The reason this story was highlighted is because the lieutenant was killed doing something that is not only something women could do just as good as the men, but in fact the women were the only ones who could. She was also working with a Special Operations team which is highly unusual.
Exactly. The second half of the article goes on about these new teams and the good they're doing- it's a very new strategy and has been working very well. The article highlights how the seemingly less dangerous jobs can be just as dangerous at times. OP, I think you kind of missed the point...