Female vocals trip-hop/chillout songs?

Chaosut

Apr 8, 2009
Hey everyone, I was just wondering if people had any trip-hop/chillout songs with smooth female vocals to share? I guess I'm not entirely sure if my genre description fits the music that I'm really looking for, but here a few of my favorite songs in that style:

Emiliana Torrini - Fingertips Emiliana Torrini - Unemployed in Summertime Late Night Alumni - Eros Zero 7 - The Space BetweenZero 7 - Destiny Esthero - Superheroes
Thanks for help.

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Universal Hall Pass [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Hall_Pass] is usually chill and always interesting.

HardkorSB

Mar 18, 2010
Recently, I'm listening to these quite a bit, very relaxing:

Phaeleh:

Erykah Badu also has some great chillout songs:

Eleuthera

Let slip the Guinea Pigs of war!
Sep 11, 2008
I love Emeliana Torrini, here's some more of my favourite trip-hop artists

Kate HavnevikPortishead Imogen Heap

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
There's some great stuff from the late 90's that died out after just one or two albums. These aren't one-hit-wonders, it's just that the bands just sort of disappeared.
Mono - Life in Mono, from the album Formica Blues.
The entire album is solid listening from beginning to end.
Again, another band that has maybe two albums at most. And both of them are consistently awesome.
It's kind of hard to find more news on my little Norwegian lovelies.
I have to look them up (again).
More recent stuff:
Another solid album in its entirety.
The album isn't as consistently good, but I need to investigate more.

I'm definitely interested in Late Night Alumni, Universal Hall Pass, and Phaeleh now. Thanks for those.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Anything by Oceanlab, aka Above and Beyond will do.

My personal favorites are

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LNeMUaJEac

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myC77TiAlkA

Ickorus

Mar 9, 2009
Not sure if these entirely fit but they're bands with female singers that I listen to when I want to chill out:

Zombie_Fish

Opiner of Mottos
Mar 20, 2009
Morcheeba [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsWkPsVpe0Y] is the only one that I know. Been a while since I last listened to them but I remember them as being fairly chilled out.

AlexanderPeregrine

Nov 19, 2009
Hooverphonic is a good band that started out as trip hop, but has since branched out to more of a symphonic sound that probably doesn't fit your description. I've only listened to three albums so far, but I'm definitely on board for more. Here are some choice tracks I've heard so far:

Some more Massive Attack tracks not mentioned above:

Björk draws quite a bit from the trip hop genre while just being her own island, so I'll include some of her tracks:

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
Here's a couple from one of my favorite female fronted bands, though not all of their stuff is mellow.

KoudelkaMorgan

Jul 31, 2009
Here are some ranging from quite like to nearly like what you were looking for.

Triphonic - Lies

Carina Round - January Heart

Kidneythieves - Arsenal

Sarah Fimm - Great Wide Open

Daughter Darling - Broken Bridge

Imogen Heap - Closing In

Feathers - Soft

Makaras Pen - New Beginnings

ScrabbitRabbit

Elite Member
Mar 27, 2012
Some good stuff in this thread.

This is only one song by the artist, the rest of the album is mostly male vocals, but it's still good stuff.

OysterEleven

Feb 17, 2014
Digging this thread a lot. A lot of stuff I was gonna mention was already posted, but here's a few more...

OK so that last one has male and female vocals but no trip hop thread would be complete without mentioning Tricky

RazgrizRex

Jul 3, 2014
Trifonic - Broken (Ficci Remix)

The Glitch Mob - Between Two Points Feat. Swan

Shiny Toy Guns - Wait For Me
(some male vocals present, there's a scream at the end of the intro at 1.28 - a lot louder than the background whispers)

Bit more melancholic and not exactly chillout but I just love "Rick and Morty" too much not to include them:)

Blonde Redhead - For The Damaged Coda (a vocalisation with no actual lyrics)

Mazzy Star - Look On Down From The Bridge

Ten Foot Bunny

I'm more of a dishwasher girl
Mar 19, 2014
Unemployed in Summertime has been one of my favorite songs for years! :D And Motorcycle's As the Rush Comes was the VERY first song I would have suggested in my response - that exact mix too. I'm not a fan of the other mixes.

Also glad to see Ivy and Múm getting some props in this thread, two of my fave bands.

Some more:

I'd recommend this entire album... the whole thing is SO beautifully chill. Saint Etienne's second-best in my opinion ("So Tough" got me through a very difficult time in my life, so it beats "Good Humor" by a small margin)

This album, "Seventh Tree", is another I'd recommend in its entirety if you want serious chill

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
<youtube=nVjsGKrE6E8>

Melancholy as hell, but a very pleasant and chillout melancholy.