Feminism: has it gone to far?

smallharmlesskitten

Not David Bowie
Apr 3, 2008
manythings said:
Vuljatar said:
Feminists are fine. Radical feminists, who I like to call "Feminazis", are not. They are pretty awful people, about on par with white supremacists in their ignorance and hatred of the world around them. One good example is that totally whacked-out ***** who wrote a mind-meltingly idiotic "review" of Firefly, in which she insisted that Wash regularly rapes Zoe and that Joss Whedon rapes his own wife, among many other awful things.

Here it is, in all it's revolting glory. (I found it again just now by googling "crazy feminist ***** Firefly review") http://users.livejournal.com/_allecto_/34718.html

Reading it certainly inspired hatred in me--hatred of this woman.

I know not all feminists are like this pathetic piece of shit, but it pains me to read all the comments supporting her dementia.
A man having consensual sex with his wife is a rapist? His wife, who famously, could kick his cracker head in without thinking about it?
I think I just threw up a little

Mr.Mudkip

Nov 16, 2009
Korolev said:
Violence against women, by men, is still a problem - again, look at the statistics the UN publishes. Violence against men by women is also bad, but it's not nearly as big a problem. It's actually an incredibly rare thing. So that is why people focus on improving the rights of women, because for millennia they have been on the short end of the deal.
This is the only thing I have a problem against. Specifically the rare thing. Statistics rely on reports. Reports rely on individual participation. Individual participation often relies on personal convictions. And what's a fairly common conviction in men? It makes you a wimp to get beat up by a woman. I'm not saying men don't beat their wives, significant other, etc.-They do. But it is far from accurate to say that woman-on-man violence is rare, and is in fact, often treated in a double standard unsympathetic to men. Like I said, both happen, and both are wrong.

SecretSmoke

Jan 29, 2009
I think that equality is a good thing, but other posters in this thread are right, most likely feminists just want equal pay/hours and that sort of thing, whereas fem *nazis* want men to be stored underground in cages and only used for reproduction. Like any group though, the loud and crazy ones will always draw more attention than the ones who have more reasonable outlooks lol

lokiduck

Jun 5, 2010
L1250 said:
Whether or not it's gone to far depends on the feminist in question. The "Both sexes should be treated equally" kind of feminists are fine; the "Women are the superior race! Everything with a penis must be castrated and crucified! We don't need a filthy, inferior man to continue the human race; we'll just grow babies on farms!" kind are kinda fucking insane.
Completely agree :D I am a women that is ashamed of these "Women are better than men" mentality. The key to peace is equality between all people and these hardcore women are halting it just as much as sexist men.

I personally believe that a women can embrace herself and be as free to express herself both physically, mentally, and sexually as any man.

But when a women accuses a man of being degrading, sexist, and always sexually driven, they are just being as sexist as the people they despise.

Krantos said:
It's the grand irony.
Scarecrow 8 said:
ok then...I know of one story where a bunch of woman wanted to do a nude calender shot, but the local feminist group stop them from doing it because they said that it was sexist and degrading. And also that in the 1960's thay called playboy empowering and now they call in sexist.
It's the grand irony. The thing that Feminazi's (and everyone really) have to realize is that the best, and only true, way to empower women is to give them the freedom of choice. A woman should be allowed to be a model (nude or otherwise) or a housewife if she wants, without stigma, the same way she should be allowed to be a corporate exec if she wants.

Most modern day feminists don't realize that. They think that all women should be do it yourself ball-breakers. For women who want that, great, but don't try to insist that all women need to do or want the same things out of life.

Completely what I think. Like I said the key is to respect everyone's belief systems even if you don't agree, and allowing something like is what needs to happen. We need to get rid of that belief of men being studs and women being sluts just because of what they do or have done.

smallharmlesskitten

Not David Bowie
Apr 3, 2008
Korolev said:
Many men are worried that feminism will relinquish their control over women - well, tough beans - you have no right to control women. No one has the right to control anyone.
*snip*

I would like to take a minute to point out that this isn't the case, most liberal leaning men are all for feminism, just not the trod on my balls for having the AUDACITY to have a penis while talking to you.

However the main problem we men seem to see here with feminism is that quite a few self identified 'Feminist' women want to be more than equal.

ie - see the door holding comlaints, we get bitched at either way.

Violence against women, by men, is still a problem - again, look at the statistics the UN publishes. Violence against men by women is also bad, but it's not nearly as big a problem. It's actually an incredibly rare thing. So that is why people focus on improving the rights of women, because for millennia they have been on the short end of the deal.

Also. Theres evidence that men are physically abused almost as much. In most cases its more emotional abuse. An example would be that psychotic girlfriend in The Hangover. It happens a lot and the man is called a pussy if he admits to it, but its still abuse.

It's not a rare thing, trust me on this.

---
Now for my own stuffs

In my own opinion not much more needs to be done to improve womens standings. Fully equal pay for work needs to be realised and maybe a week or two more leave days for giving birth.

The splitting of sports teams and such is an obvious neccesity. Men would destroy most women in contact sports and in general do things a lot... rougher. Tennis for instance. Nadal hits the ball a LOT faster and harder than serena williams.

Its the feminism that advocates the castrating of men, called consenual sex between a man and a prostitute 'rape' even if she's a high class call girl maybe doing one john a week for 10 grand that gets me pissed off. Sure prostitution is wrong if shes forced into it or has no other choice but christ...

I've noticed I'm rambling

tldr - Its almost there in terms of equality. Stop being white knights about abuse it goes both ways. Stop trying to be more than equal feminazis.

Jaxs

Jul 19, 2010
smallharmlesskitten said:
manythings said:
Vuljatar said:
Feminists are fine. Radical feminists, who I like to call "Feminazis", are not. They are pretty awful people, about on par with white supremacists in their ignorance and hatred of the world around them. One good example is that totally whacked-out ***** who wrote a mind-meltingly idiotic "review" of Firefly, in which she insisted that Wash regularly rapes Zoe and that Joss Whedon rapes his own wife, among many other awful things.

Here it is, in all it's revolting glory. (I found it again just now by googling "crazy feminist ***** Firefly review") http://users.livejournal.com/_allecto_/34718.html

I know not all feminists are like this pathetic piece of shit, but it pains me to read all the comments supporting her dementia.
A man having consensual sex with his wife is a rapist? His wife, who famously, could kick his cracker head in without thinking about it?
I think I just threw up a little
No kidding, after reading that, I feel physically sick and now I have chills down my spine.

Godhead

Dib dib dib, dob dob dob.
May 25, 2009
Korolev said:
Personally I would both of those people as just wanting a lot of sex with a lot of different people, as long as they're not married I say for them to go have fun if both groups are consenting.

OT: There's always going to be feminism and there will always be people opposed to feminism/went over the deep end. They're both interlinked because it's human nature. If a "feminazi" does something rude to you, do what they ask and treat them as an equal. By bopping them in the face with you pimp hand.

Blatherscythe

Oct 14, 2009
Vuljatar said:

Wow, that woman is a *****. She really can't tell that Mals second in command calls him sir because of rank? She also takes statements and believes the characters have done that. She really believes that women are so damn infailliable and perfect that they cannot do anything wrong, not even annoy someone? And has she ever had sex in her life?

Buddylee

Sep 18, 2010
soilent said:
Feminism hasn't existed since the 80s.

Not True Feminism anyway, now its about female Superiority, instead of equality.
Not always true. I think to a point that dismissing that sexism still happens and quite often (ex: tits or GTFO) is somewhat kind of foolish. The feminist cause is still important for the reasons it existed in the 70's, not for the reasons that feminists of today have come up with. In fact, due to the reasoning of today's feminist we have a want of reverse sexism (where man is now the inferior buffoon).

Further more the today's feminist reasoning has permeated into our culture, and actually has been permeated for a long time. Look at just about any primetime T.V family show or even comedy since the 90's. Home Improvement, Still Standing, ect, ect ,ect...name just about any one of them and what is the common theme? A man (usually the father figure) who is just a step above a caveman in mentality and is treated as such.

Now I'm all for the feminist cause of being treated with respect and dignity instead of a baby making sex object. The former has been accomplished the latter is still a work in progress. However, while the latter is still being worked on males should not be depicted as stupid neanderthals unable to contain our so-called "primal instincts". We are all human and not only capable but tend to not hold the stereotype.

ReckzB

May 28, 2010
I've heard of 'feminist' groups bearing near-violent aggression towards the opposite sex. I don't think it's really 'feminism' anymore. There are some women who have strong opinions about actual gender-role equality, and I respect them for that. That's closer to what I see as true feminism. But if I hold a door open for a woman - yeah, we're back on this again - just out of convenience, and she slanders me for being condescending and sexist, then I think there's something wrong here. The woman might also end up with a door slammed in her face and a middle finger held up to her. Provided the door is glass anyway. I don't see the point of giving someone the finger if they can't see it, but this is getting off-topic.

There's a very thick line between feminism and what I would call 'feminine elitism'. Some women just can't help but take the arduous journey over that line to make themselves feel better about having a different physiology to people they seem to think treat them as inferior because of that fact.

Equality? That means having the freedom to make your own decisions about your life, within the bounds of lawful rule, and not being harassed about those choices. If someone expresses their dislike toward your choice, you have every right to be angry with that individual, but not the entire gender/race/culture/age group/etc. that they come from.

There have been some interesting opinions stated in this thread thus far. Still, I don't think I'll ever truly understand this species. Also, I glanced at your thread title and thought it said "Feminism: has it gone to war?"
I guess we're back on this 'near-violent aggression' thing, so I'll shut up now.

P.S.: That Firefly review was whack. The keywords used to search for it gave me a smirk, though, lol.

AgentNein

Jun 14, 2008
Serenegoose said:
F-I-D-O said:
In summary: Equal means equal. I think in the more modern countries, women are equals now, but the annoying thing is that they keep pushing for more rights. They've become equal. What more do they want?
Yeah, they get on average paid less than men for the same work.
They're more likely to be assaulted, infinitely more likely to be raped, and more likely to be killed.
They're encouraged to be sexually repressed, because if you're sexual you're a slut. They're encouraged to be quiet around others because being outspoken is bitchy.
Femininity itself is associated with being vapid (like duh), shallow (all girls think about is shoes!), meek (save me, manly mansome!) and submissive.

Think about it for a moment. When was the last time you seen a woman start one of these 'has feminism gone too far?!' threads? Yeah, because it is almost always guys saying WOMEN ARE TRYING TO BE SUPERIOR NOW.

Err... no. Sorry. Not the case.
Thank you. Almost every post on this thread can be refuted pretty easily using logic and a look at the world around us, I just find all the stupidity and intentional ignorance on the subject completely overwhelming (and I appreciate anyone willing to put forth the effort and comment on it). It's the same any time race is brought up as a possible contemporary issue, you get these ostrich types sticking their heads in the sand. But why don't we white folks have a history month?! That's the real racism!! Just shoot me in the face now.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Its funny, because nearly all pro feminist arguments I hear today are about freedom, when they wish to repress the freedom of other women because it goes against their cause.

I say fuck feminism and fuck manism and let everyone be assholes to each other. THEN we get equality.

TundraStalax

Jun 8, 2010
As a man, I feel feminists have stepped over the line, it feels like a tug-of-war, except one side has more people on it, this 'equality' is bullshit, if we truly are equal, can't the feminists back off? I mean, what right do they have to impede on freedom of expression, let people do what they want, let THEM worry about consequences of said actions, YOU are not the gender police (quite biased police, by the way). My aunt agrees with me on this, she said that we've basically reversed the gender roles in society as opposed to how they were in the 70's, yet still, women are pushing for more. But why?

AgentNein

Jun 14, 2008
Vuljatar said:

Just be clear on the terms we're using here. Radical feminism doesn't necessarily equate to nutjob feminism. You might be interested to know that Whedon actually considers himself a radical feminist. The idea behind radical feminism is that it's not enough to change things on the small level, but that we must fix the institutions themselves, the huge monoliths of society, that reinforce gender divides.

The women who wrote that is....is something else entirely.

TheTejs

Nov 11, 2009
if people are pro female superiority, and they call themselves feminists, they are fucking idiots
If they want female superiority, they should call themselves sexists.
Theres a HUGE difference for fucks sake

Don't call out feminists cause of these fuckfaces, just cause they say they are feminists doesn't mean they are.

AgentNein

Jun 14, 2008
Soviet Heavy said:
Its funny, because nearly all pro feminist arguments I hear today are about freedom, when they wish to repress the freedom of other women because it goes against their cause.

I say fuck feminism and fuck manism and let everyone be assholes to each other. THEN we get equality.
Quote me one person who's advocating censorship or taking away freedoms of others in this thread in the name of feminism. ONE.

In fact, I'd just love it if some of these folks giving these examples of crazy rampant feminism run wild and oppressing the mans of the world can start citing some fucking sources, because a lot o these stories sound like the same old bullshit attempts to de-legitimize feminism.

A questionable story I heard earlier in this thread: A woman giving you shit for holding the door open for her (in the name of feminism), and then giving you shit later for not holding the door open for her (in the name of chivalry)? Hmm, smells like bullshit. Either that or congrats, you've ran into the one truly crazy person to do this, and now you have a fun story to tell when talking about your feminazi's taking over.

Lavi

Sep 20, 2008
Scarecrow 8 said:
Ok...I don't want to start a war..or get shouted at...but I really think that feminism has gone a bit to far. I mean that I think that the feminists have done what they set out to do and now they are just trying to make them selves better then men.

Tell me what you think of feminism...and please don't flame me. Please?
If a feminist wants to make women better than men, then they aren't feminists.

Seriously, are you all daft? (all being everyone else I've heard this from)

CrustyOatmeal

Jul 4, 2010
soilent said:
Feminism hasn't existed since the 80s.

Not True Feminism anyway, now its about female Superiority, instead of equality.
i had multiple female teachers in college that would disprove your idea. there is a teacher at my local state college that still has feminist rallies, teaches a feminism class, and harasses every male student that attempts to enroll in her class (i had a frend that took the class and a professor that told me to never take her class). feminism still exists but it isnt as wide spread, its become more radical in how they believe the ratio of men to women at any job should be 50:50 when in reality that is impossible