Feminist Frequency needs a fact check?

MrMan999

Oct 25, 2011
rhizhim said:
Ragsnstitches said:
EDIT:

I'm just going to add that I worked in a toy shop for a few months and we were specifically trained to promote the Pink Lego boxes for girls and dissuade selling them Blue Boxes, since the Blue lego boxes were selling so fast we couldn't keep stock. Also, fuck all bought the Pink boxes.

Basically, we didn't want girls to have blue boxes because the boys only went for blue boxes. Despite the fact that plenty of girls actually wanted blue boxes.

Yup. Nothing wrong here.
and thats something that baffles me.
why has to be almost every fucking thing aimed at women got to be friggin pink.
Pink=Feminine according to marketers. I think its pretty stupid. Everyone knows Real Men wear pink.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Rawne1980 said:
What irritates me the most is the things people pick on to make a statement of "sexism".

LEGO for christs sake.

Issues like job equality, same pay rate and the like? No, fuck that, lets have a bash at little plastic bricks you make things with. That is clearly a huge issue.

And herein lies my issue with extreme feminists.

9 times out of 10 anything they have to say is complete horseshit and not worth the paper i'd use to wipe my arse with. The other one left over is usually a topic so hilariously stupid it's worth reading for a giggle.

Feminists that fight for equal right, all good. Extreme feminists that are bat shit nuts, not worth wasting the time it takes to hear them out.
To say nothing of semantics. "No we can't call them Alderman anymore because it has 'man' in it." *facepalm*

And as for Lego, it's not as though those figurines aren't pretty gender f*ing neutral anyway. For most sets the only way to tell that a figure is supposed to be male is because it has some stubble on the head or a full on mustache.

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
Zydrate said:
I'd like to add that I have a lego table right behind me, in my room. I have a base under siege, and it's fun.
I actually write stories based on my world in lego... And the problem comes from the fact that all of my stories are pretty much dark and gritty. Why? Because I barely have a choice! Those are the only serious sets I can get my hands on!

I'd love a normally-colored Cafe so that my heroes can take a damn break for once.
You're in luck!

http://lego.wikia.com/wiki/6376_Breezeway_Caf%C3%A9

Actually that's quite an old model, I got it when I was about 10, but Lego is full of these completely neutral sets that would do either a boy or a girl, you just have to look for them.

Alternatively, just build your own. You have the technology.

On topic: Yeah, a lot of what she says is wrong (That Cafe I linked existing for the apparently boy-orientated lego city with male Chef refutes one of her arguments in the first vid) But the point she raises isn't necessarily a bad one. More purples and pinks in regular sets wouldn't be a bad thing, and less stereotypically female orientated sets that are incompatible with regular lego figures would be better than creating a parallel, segregated set through small incompatibilities and lathered with pink.

Don Savik

Aug 27, 2011
Fappy said:
I am so confused... since when did Lego have any social or political relevance? Why is this even an issue?
Because she wants to make it an issue. I think she's gotten to the point were she is starting to see everything not gender-neutral as sexist. I've seen quite a few dedicated feminists start to think this way, and its quite sad.

Nothing is stopping girls from buying the "guy legos" and the "guy legos" aren't sexualizing women. Who cares if it gets marketed to boys more because more boys buy legos anyways and they probably view it as a bigger income base.

But remember, the more controversial stuff on her channel, the more views. More views = more revenue = more money.

Zydrate

Apr 1, 2009
Hero in a half shell said:
Zydrate said:
I'd like to add that I have a lego table right behind me, in my room. I have a base under siege, and it's fun.
I actually write stories based on my world in lego... And the problem comes from the fact that all of my stories are pretty much dark and gritty. Why? Because I barely have a choice! Those are the only serious sets I can get my hands on!

I'd love a normally-colored Cafe so that my heroes can take a damn break for once.
You're in luck!

http://lego.wikia.com/wiki/6376_Breezeway_Caf%C3%A9

Actually that's quite an old model, I got it when I was about 10, but Lego is full of these completely neutral sets that would do either a boy or a girl, you just have to look for them.
Nice! But it'd be out of place among all my other sets which are hyper-detailed.

If they brought THAT back with their current "graphics" (Hehe) ...the chick from FemFreq and I would be pleased.

Zydrate

Apr 1, 2009
Buretsu said:
I tried, but I couldn't get past 5 minutes of her.
So you remain uninformed.

Lego isn't being intentionally sexist, they're mostly just adapting to the sexism that already exists
...And that's 'okay' to you?

irani_che

Jan 28, 2010
this is a problem with alot of feminist groups,
they porduce figures that just seem exagerated or overboard or just dont add up. especially on unpleasant straw man topics like rape

and no one is callous enough to question them

nasteypenguin

Mar 2, 2011
The concern I have with feminists using these advertisement arguments is that it is not a female only issue. Many feminist issues are agreeably prominent because women have received poorer treatment because of it, but if things are marketed towards girls that must mean other things are marketed towards boys. Since the sexist ideas that girls like some things and boys like other things exist, they cancel each other out as far as importance is concerned. It's not a feminist issue, its a sexist issue.

It is a sexist problem, but I think using this specific argument as a device for proving women are unfairly treated is wrong.

pffh

Oct 10, 2008
rhizhim said:
Ragsnstitches said:
EDIT:

I'm just going to add that I worked in a toy shop for a few months and we were specifically trained to promote the Pink Lego boxes for girls and dissuade selling them Blue Boxes, since the Blue lego boxes were selling so fast we couldn't keep stock. Also, fuck all bought the Pink boxes.

Basically, we didn't want girls to have blue boxes because the boys only went for blue boxes. Despite the fact that plenty of girls actually wanted blue boxes.

Yup. Nothing wrong here.
I would be more worried about the fact that there exists a 'Women Only' train than that it's pink.

Zydrate

Apr 1, 2009
Buretsu said:
Lego isn't being intentionally sexist, they're mostly just adapting to the sexism that already exists
...And that's 'okay' to you?
The adaptation? Yes. The sexism in our society? No. But I'm able to separate the two.
I don't really see much of a distinction.
That's just an apathetic "there's no issue here" viewpoint.

As always, apathy is death.

Seriously, if you can't do the research, then you're missing vital information to discuss anything.

pffh

Oct 10, 2008
Buretsu said:
pffh said:
rhizhim said:
Ragsnstitches said:
EDIT:

Yup. Nothing wrong here.
I would be more worried about the fact that there exists a 'Women Only' train than that it's pink.
Oh, no need to worry. It's just to give women a safe train to ride so that they won't get molested by male passengers on a crowded train...
Not sure if sarcasm.... Since the need (real or socially constructed) for that seems to be something that someone should be worried about.

Zoomy

Feb 7, 2008
James Ennever said:
This whole debate over a bunch of petty chauvinistic virgin?s vs a blogging feminist with a habit of shitty research has me in a conundrum.
If I agree I am also agreeing to her view that all her other videos are good and well thought out arguments, which they are not. If I disagree I face being crucified by people jumping to the conclusion I am a women hater which I am most certainly not.
Oh no, Racist Roger said black people don't deserve to vote, but he also said that pizza is tasty! I like pizza, so I'm a racist!

It doesn't work like that. You can vehemently disagree with someone on most points but agree on a few others. I hate David Cameron's views on just about everything, but I agree with his stance on the Falklands.

rjdjones said:
2. The sexist/racist comments issue. On Youtube? People are being offensive? Awww, really? I also like the fact that anyone complaining about the posts she got acts if there isn't a shit load of posts from women on all kinds of YT videos that use exactly the same kind of racist/sexist crap plus death threats etc. Nope - it's just so much easier to act as if only men can write this kind of stuff.
So because some people are dicks we should ignore the other people acting like dicks? To quote myself, it doesn't work like that. Some of the shit that was said was downright disgraceful. Doesn't matter which side of the fence you're on, it does humanity a dis-service and shouldn't be ignored. Weren't you ever taught about the relationship between two wrongs, a right and how the former doesn't create the latter?

Apr 28, 2008
James Ennever said:
This whole debate over a bunch of petty chauvinistic virgin?s vs a blogging feminist with a habit of shitty research has me in a conundrum.
If I agree I am also agreeing to her view that all her other videos are good and well thought out arguments.
Uh, no it doesn't. It means you agree with something she said.

If I disagree I face being crucified by people jumping to the conclusion I am a women hater which I am most certainly not.
While that may happen, you disagreeing with a thing she said doesn't make you a woman hater. It just means you disagree with a thing she said.

The whole idea that if you agree with one thing someone said, you agree with everything they say is just fucking stupid. I'm not saying you're stupid OP, just the idea that if you agree/disagree with something someone said/did you agree/disagree with everything they say/do. It's a horrible way to think and needs to fucking stop.

It's fine to agree with someone and still point out flaws they make, or disagree with something they say and not fall into the opposite extreme.

Sorry, had to rant a little there.

As for the whole LEGO thing, well youtube's being lame to me and won't load the videos, so I don't really know what it's all about. That being said, I don't think there's sexism in the toys themselves, but I have seen "gender targeted" ads for 'em. Mainly "girls get the pink set, boys get the blue." That sort of thing. Though that was a long time ago. Maybe it's still around, maybe it isn't. I don't know, but I would't be surprised if it was.

Apr 28, 2008
pffh said:
rhizhim said:
Ragsnstitches said:
EDIT:

Yup. Nothing wrong here.
From what I've read about Japan, "girl only" trains exist because women keep getting groped in trains with men and women. Seriously, apparently that's a pretty big problem over there.