FF 7 remake

w23eer

Mar 13, 2014
Fuck. I woke up this morning to find this and The Last Guardian formally announced?
Is this real life? Am I dreaming? Am I dead and sent to heaven?

It's really cool to see FFVII. I highly doubted this would ever happen, due to production costs and stuff, but here it is. I'm just hoping stuff won't be cut, like people mentioned above. What I'm worried about in particular is the open world aspect; to recreate something like that with current gen graphics is going to be extremely costly, and it may lead to them cutting corners and botching it up.
SmallHatLogan said:
...if it comes to PC (unlikely)...
Coming to PC isn't unlikely. Squeenix have been releasing a lot of games on PC lately, they seem to be more open minded about the PC crowd (as have quite a few Japanese companies recently).
What is unlikely is that it'll be a good port. The other ports they've done have been pretty shocking so... yeah. Here's hoping they get the hang of it.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
I only played FF7 for the first time fairly recently, and even I'm pretty hyped about this. Trailer looked incredible.

Along with The Last Guardian... Very happy.

Edit:
Narrator said:
"Long ago, we looked upon a foreboding sky. The memory of the star that threatened all burns eternal in our hearts."
He's talking about Jenovah, I guess? I thought people didn't really know much about that in-game? Am I misremembering?

CaptainMarvelous

May 9, 2012
Angelblaze said:
IT BEGINS.

Anyone besides me excited to see the fallout that will eventually occur amongst the male fanbase when/if the bathing scene occurs?
Solo-Wing said:
These two posts go together nicely.
(though I think your mistaking the FF fanbase for the CoD one, y'know how many players go out of their way to be THE BEST CROSSDRESSER!)

OT: Good to see that pre2.0 FFXIV/FFXV drained the coffers enough for this to occur.
I know it's only a demo, but FFXV's doing alright, isn't it? It's not being too badly slammed from memory. And like you say, FFXIV RR is kinda printing money

L. Declis

Apr 19, 2012
I can't wait to see how they fuck it up.

Because they will.

The music will change and be J-Pop crap.

The graphics will make everyone look like emo fucks, rather than the usual diverse team. I like original FF Cloud, who was determined, rather than new "Life is suffering" Cloud in everything else.

They'll cut bits of story. Because some of it is insensitive in todays world (play as terrorists? Dress as a woman? Prostitution? Genocide? Genetic engineering? Racist stereotypes? All there), and also because the new team is lazy as balls. FFV is being handled by the A Team, so who is handling this? Lightning Returns team? God help me if so.

Just keep releasing it, and leave it alone. We're not Hollywood, we don't need to reboot anything.

AlouetteSK

Sep 4, 2014
Think they'll build a new engine just for cinematics, or have they learned their lesson not to spend a kajillion dollars each iteration and just reuse a flatter-chested Lightning for Cloud? $5 says the crossdressing makes him look like Lightning. Also, have fun rebreeding. all. the. chocobo. That being said, I'm still waiting for KH3 to come out before getting my grubby hands on a PS4. And no preorders.

Jadedvet

Jul 1, 2013
Edit:
Narrator said:
"Long ago, we looked upon a foreboding sky. The memory of the star that threatened all burns eternal in our hearts."
At first, I thought he was referring to the meteor that almost dropped on the city and the trailer was for a sequel.

I'm a bit worried about how the new crew will translate all of the content as well. Its not like there were not things that could be improved though. The materia system was a bit broken by the end of the game.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
These are the two questions I'm interested in.

How will a hidef Cloud look while cross dressing?

Will beating the optional bosses remain a grinding mess to prepare for.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
L. Declis said:
I I like original FF Cloud, who was determined, rather than new "Life is suffering" Cloud in everything else.
Must've played different games. Cloud was a pretty big emo in the FF7 I played.

They'll cut bits of story. Because some of it is insensitive in todays world (play as terrorists? Dress as a woman? Prostitution? Genocide? Genetic engineering? Racist stereotypes? All there)
Most of this is stuff that's readily present in other games & films, so I'm not sure why it would be cut this time.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
mysecondlife said:
This brings up a good time to ask all you ff7 fans

How many of you knew about Sephiroths killing Aerith before playing it?

This isn't even spoiler is it?
I didn't. It was a genuinely shocking moment for me. I remember that much.

Silvanus said:
Narrator said:
He's talking about Jenovah, I guess? I thought people didn't really know much about that in-game? Am I misremembering?
It could be Cloud or someone else referring to the meteor like a narrator who knows the ending might.

Maximum Bert

Feb 3, 2013
Bitter Hobbit said:
One thing though, I hope we're not waiting too long to play this one. I don't want to play a rushed game but I'd like to be playing it on FF7's 20th anniversary, not it's 30th.
Yeah I was thinking this I dont know how far in production they are but I hope they havent been stupid enough to announce it 7 years early or something for its 25th anniversary yeah it fits a theme but damn I hope they didnt do that. Im still estimating a 2017 date but ofc I have no data to support that except it being the 20th anniversary of the game.

Silvanus said:
L. Declis said:
I I like original FF Cloud, who was determined, rather than new "Life is suffering" Cloud in everything else.
Must've played different games. Cloud was a pretty big emo in the FF7 I played.

They'll cut bits of story. Because some of it is insensitive in todays world (play as terrorists? Dress as a woman? Prostitution? Genocide? Genetic engineering? Racist stereotypes? All there)
Most of this is stuff that's readily present in other games & films, so I'm not sure why it would be cut this time.
I would say Cloud was not an Emo in this game in others he has been because they cant seem to decide on how he should act after 7 but in 7 he was much more cocky and self assured at least at the start he goes to pieces when its revealed almost his entire memory is a lie but I think thats fair and believable. Course anytime someone shows a bit of depression in game people are always quick to say Emo.

Totally agree on the second point if they were afraid of a lot of the story elements then they would not have brought it back at least thats what I am hoping. But like you say there are other games and media with much more touchy subjects and matter. So hopefully they concentrate on making a good game rather than worrying about upsetting sensitive people.

They have a large targeted market for this game and I think that will be their focus (in my opinion rightly so) new players will be important but it should not be and I dont think will be the primary market for the game. Their newer FF games have that job instead.

Seriously tho with this and Dissidia Square Enix finally have stuff that has actually made me pay attention to them again, I hope they have started to turn thing back around to the late SNES-early PS2 glory days.

Jan 27, 2011
I'm waiting for fanboy tears when either:

a) Square decides not to change any of the dated game mechanics and everyone realizes how clunky or dated or just questionable those mechanics were.

or b) Square decides to improve the mechanics and then the fans scream about "Desecrating the game's purity".

Still, people have been asking for this for a looooooong time. Glad they're finally getting it.

Welp, I hope I'm wrong about this, and I hope that they DO improve on some of the more dated mechanics. Seriously, as cool as the Materia system was, the fact that everyone could be any role at any time (up to and including stuff like Enemy Skills, stealing, etc) just made it so that there was no reason not to just take 3 characters you liked and just never ever change them.

go-10

Feb 3, 2010
I been waiting for this game for a LONG time so I couldn't be happier, although I gotta admit I'm a bit worried because of recent SE history with FF titles. I don't want them to change the battle system to an action based system, I want turn based battles, just make them faster like FF X-2. Also I'm worried what they'll do with Tifa and Yuffie in the SJW industry we now live in :( I know it makes me a hack and disgusting person but Tifa and Yuffie's outfits are cool looking regardless of how impractical they are

still I hope this is everything I have hoped for and hopefully they'll include all the things we now know due to Dirge of Cerberus flashback scenes, Crisis Core Genesis and Angeal, and the turks history in Before Crisis. I mean let's be honest finding/playing those games now is near impossible so they might as well spoil their stories in the the remake

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
chozo_hybrid said:
It could be Cloud or someone else referring to the meteor like a narrator who knows the ending might.
Good point, seems more likely. I didn't consider the narrator might be looking back.

Maximum Bert said:
I would say Cloud was not an Emo in this game in others he has been because they cant seem to decide on how he should act after 7 but in 7 he was much more cocky and self assured at least at the start he goes to pieces when its revealed almost his entire memory is a lie but I think thats fair and believable. Course anytime someone shows a bit of depression in game people are always quick to say Emo.
It wasn't the stuff after he regained his memory I was thinking of; I was referring to Cloud repeatedly telling everyone how he totally doesn't care about anything all the time throughout the first half of the game. He'd be a nightmare to have a pint with.

plus2exp

Aug 31, 2011
If this had been announced five years ago I would have soiled myself in anticipation. But now? Now, I have to take a step back and remember that this is Square Enix. I can't bring myself to get excited for ANYTHING Square does nowadays. And this trailer, I'm sorry to say, just doesn't excite me. It's a pre-rendered cut scene that doesn't show any actual gameplay. Who knows? Maybe this will turn out okay, but I'm not going to hold my breath, at least not until we get a look at how the game actually plays.

GabeZhul

Mar 8, 2012
L. Declis said:
I can't wait to see how they fuck it up.

Because they will.

The music will change and be J-Pop crap.

The graphics will make everyone look like emo fucks, rather than the usual diverse team. I like original FF Cloud, who was determined, rather than new "Life is suffering" Cloud in everything else.

They'll cut bits of story. Because some of it is insensitive in todays world (play as terrorists? Dress as a woman? Prostitution? Genocide? Genetic engineering? Racist stereotypes? All there), and also because the new team is lazy as balls. FFV is being handled by the A Team, so who is handling this? Lightning Returns team? God help me if so.

Just keep releasing it, and leave it alone. We're not Hollywood, we don't need to reboot anything.
I was never the biggest fan of the original, but this was my first reaction as well when I heard of the remake, and the trailer only cemented it. The world looks nothing like in the original, on a very basic aesthetic level. When you are doing a remake, that is the first thing you have to get right, otherwise you will end up with a lot of fans being hit by a peculiar uncanny valley effect and getting pissed.

Of course it might be good. It might be a very tasteful remake with just re-drawn, high-def backgrounds, high-poly models and a slightly updated combat system... and it might be raining money tomorrow. It could happen, but not likely.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
WolvDragon said:
It's nothing special really. The gameplay was mediocre to me, and I wouldn't call it the Best game of all time. The story was average at best, because "saving the world" hasn't been beaten to death right?
So what? That's the plot, not the story. Saving the world is a framing device that is perfectly fine to use. Are we not allowed to use fairly standard writing tools anymore because it's too mainstream? It's how you tell the story that's the important thing.

chozo_hybrid said:
mysecondlife said:
This brings up a good time to ask all you ff7 fans

How many of you knew about Sephiroths killing Aerith before playing it?

This isn't even spoiler is it?
I didn't. It was a genuinely shocking moment for me. I remember that much.

Silvanus said:
Narrator said:
I'm guessing Red 13. He outlives Midgar itself, so he's certainly one of the only characters who would end up being old enough for the events of FF7 to be "long ago", presumably telling his cubs.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Odbarc said:
I would rather a remake of FF6.
Eh, I always felt like 6 was painfully overrated. I'd rather see a title with a stronger plot and characters.

OT: FF7 and Silent Hill 2 are my favorite games of all time. My concerns are that one, they'll show horn in material from the spinoffs, and two, that they'll bastardize all the characters. Cloud is not a brooding loner. Aerith is not a pristine princess. Yuffie was actually somewhat funny in the original. Barrett is more then a bad Mr. T ripoff. Get it right, Square.

As for what will get cut? Anything with Don Corneo. That means no dress for Cloud, no naked jacuzzi time with men in a brothel, no attempted rape of Yuffie, and no prostitute Tifa. Otherwise, they may remove the over world, which would be highly disappointing.