FF13 Producer Explains Why FF7 Remake is Unlikely

Arbitrary Cidin

Apr 16, 2009
I honestly stopped caring about graphics in the PS2 era. Some AA and dynamic lighting is nice, but those are quick and easy to administer. Besides, they say it as though other (probably lower budget too) developers have been able to do this. It's not an FPS, textures don't need to be THAT high quality, since you're seldom going to get a closeup of them anyway. I mean for fuck's sake, if Half Life 2 looks amazing in HD and it was developed a gen ago, WHY IS THIS SO HARD?

For the record, I have no interest in an FF7 remake; I don't buy the same video game twice. I WOULD however, like to see japan go back in that direction and try to get away from the emo cutesy character design crap a little bit. I mean, remember Goku? Remember Gundam Wing? More importantly, remember Barett??? He was Mr. T with a giant minigun for an arm, I mean how cool is that?!

So now I have to ask Sqeenix, what the fuck I'm looking at right now

Seriously, why is THIS inherently the manliest character in the game?

chronobreak

Sep 6, 2008
They have to keep denying it, so I would say they are either working on it secretly and this is all just some PR to get it fresh in people's minds, or they hear enough of a clamor on a regular basis to have to keep denying they are working on it, meaning there are probably a lot of people who would buy it.

I wouldn't mind seeing it on PS4 or whatever comes next, as a launch title. It would put a lot of selling power behind their next system.

Blade Chunk

Feb 2, 2010
Sometimes, you can't remake a cult classic. Cloud and our FF7 friend live in our hearts and in Kingdom Hearts with cameos. You can't remake pong, Gone with the wind, Heavy Metal, or something like Dragon's Lair.

Something are best left in the time when the country's mind set, what was big in theater, games, the arcade to the comic books.

It might make money, but really FF 7 would need a entire script re-write as it was low budget translation of engrish. Let's love it for what it was. And leave it like the original Starwars didn't need a Greedo to shoot first or A E.T. movie with no guns but walkie talkies aimed at a child like a gun.

I would like to see a FF7 sequel. I'd pay money for that, a full remake I would pirate before I bought it.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
John Funk said:
'm not quite sure I buy it, seeing as how the studio did a decent job with the infamous 2006 tech demo - is he just saying that it would be too hard to render environments and graphics in modern technology, while still being faithful to the original game in a way that won't send the diehard fans into a frothing rage of "They changed it, now it sucks!"?
Well that's impossible to do anyway. Once again I'd like to quote our own Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw,
"Fans are clinging complaining dipshits who'll never ever be grateful for any concessions you make. The sooner you shut out their shrill tremulous voices, the happier you'll be for it."
No matter what they do they'll have displeased dipshit fans whining like broken motors.
Also do we really NEED a remake, honestly? What would a remake give us? Upgraded graphics? Are we really that shallow? If you liked the game so much, go play the original.

Not Good

Sep 17, 2008
THANK THE GODS IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN

in the meantime this complainin' about all that nice graphical detail really makes Square-Enix look like either a bunch of BABIES who can't handle modern-gen consoles and would be much more comfortable on Nintendo DS, or that even high-profile games such as FFXIII are being crippled by the might of modern-gen graphics.

nohorsetown

Dec 8, 2007
I think if they remade FF7, they'd have to change the Honeybee Inn a bit. There's an optional scene there which kinda implies Cloud getting gang-raped (or something approaching that) by a buncha Muscle March-type dudes. The overall tone is "ho ho, how funny". I kinda don't think that would fly today.

And of course they'd have to rewrite all of Barrett's "dialogue". "Shit! I'ma get angry and shoot my gun in the air! I be leavin' the thinkin' to yo' spiky ass! Shit!" ..not too cool!

Awexsome

Were it so easy
Mar 25, 2009
I'd guess when he talks about the graphics problem it would be making a world map on a modern console that doesn't look like crap.

Even if they wanted to... it couldn't be the same. No matter what they do in this case I think it would be a "they changed it, now it sucks". And if they just remade it without changing anything besides graphics... why remake it then? Graphics are one of, if not the least important thing in a game.

I've got my backwards compatible PS2 still working for me so I can be happy with the original awesome one just fine.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
That doesn't make any sense to me, when the work that you see goes into titles like God of War 3, Grand Turismo 4 , Metal Gear 4, Gears of War, Mass Effect, Resident Evil 5 and Uncharted 2 with amazing graphics and non-stop action constantly going and other titles that take YEARS to come out. And some of these games that came out had nothing to stand on they were made from the ground up, they had a promise of a good game and vids. By comparison FFVII has a massive fanbase, everything is written and designed and scripted and storyboarded. This would only pull in more fans considering what they can do now with present day technology.

This announcement is a weak, WEAK excuse in my opinion.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
John Funk said:
I'm not quite sure I buy it, seeing as how the studio did a decent job with the infamous 2006 tech demo
There's a big difference between a quick 90 second tech demo and a full-on 40-hour RPG (or maybe it was longer).

Eponet

Nov 18, 2009
Well, admittedly graphics aren't everything, but FF7's were actually bad enough to warrant a remake. If it would be too hard to do it with new technology...well, there was a pretty huge jump between the graphics in 7 and 8.

Still, I didn't particularly like FF7's story all that much, so, whatever.

FactualSquirrel

Dec 10, 2009
Heheh, I find it funny, regardless of whether it's true or not, that a game 2 gens ago can run something the ps3 (and 360, obviously) can't.

Doesn't seem like progress to me...

orangeapples

Aug 1, 2009
Fredrick2003 said:
I would gladly buy a graphical update to Final Fantasy VII.

The original 1996 Resident Evil received a gorgeous remake that absolutely destroyed the original in every conceivable way. Usually the originals have things to love, but aside from the horrendous dialogue there is absolutely no reason to play the original version of Resident Evil.

If they could achieve something similar with Final Fantasy VII my head would explode and I would have a new game to judge all other games by.
Heck, I have PS1 Metal Gear Solid and GCN Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes.

my friend has Super Mario Bros. 1, 2, 3 for the NES then he got New Super Mario Bros. AND New Super Mario Bros. Wii.

The only reason we have Street Fighter 4 is because it is Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo HD Remix+

I have got Final Fantasy 1 on NES, GBA, AND PSP

I beat Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories on GBA when it came out THEN I had KH:Re:CoM PRE-ORDERED when the option was available.

I'm not alone. We will buy remakes.

reg42

Mar 18, 2009
I didn't think it would happen. Though it would be nice if Square Enix would stop being such cock teases

katsabas

Apr 23, 2008
Sounds like a lot of excuses to me. Diablo III has been in development a long time now and they are getting worried about graphics? Tsk, tsk. I haven't played the original and I would gladly buy a remake.

Leaper

Jun 3, 2009
Kenjitsuka said:
"Considering the amount of work to make graphics that deserve HD, it is hard to make towns in the conventional style."

DO NOT LET GRAPHICS DICTATE THE GAME, LET GAMEPLAY DICTACTE GRAPHICS!!!
Yeah, I really needed to yell that. Trust me...

I don't care if the town has a billion polygons and is HR-HD awesome looking.
If the game benefits from towns then make towns with millions of polygons instead, DUH!!!!!!!!!!!
Gameplay and graphics in good game walk side by side.

Thats is exactly (as Kitase said) why they don't want to remake it. Because of the hardware limitations is possibly extremely long production times.

Every time Square released Final Fantasy game, it was done in best graphics possible at that time. Because the gameplay can't go together with the graphics well in ths remake, they just don't want to make it. I can understand them. And like someone else said, if you indeed don't care about the graphics, why you just don't go and play old PS1 game?

NickCaligo42

Oct 7, 2007
lomylithruldor said:
Today's games tend to be much shorter because of the cost to make these graphics, so i can see how making a huge game like FFVII with top notch graphics can cost so much that they are unsure to sell enough to pay for the development cost.

Doing it is feasible. Doing it with a reasonable budget, maybe not so.
In the last several years Bioware dropped Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2, by all rights some of the most gorgeous games ever, featuring dozens of characters that you can dynamically interact with in addition to some pretty damned huge environments across multiple worlds, and they're telling us that today's graphics prevents them from making towns and shit?

I'm gonna call bullshit on this one. If modern hardware and graphical standards are really getting in their way, it's because they don't know their craft well enough to handle it.

Axle_Bullitt_19

May 29, 2009
Well I'm just getting sooooo sick of this damn see-saw act. I wish they would give use a definate answer and not all this bs with a fucking grey area. Or keep bringing up the matter as well. I'd be happier if they just said that they are not and then a year later go "Oh we lied here it is."

Arsen

Nov 26, 2008
Square can continue to do this all they want. In the end I lost interest in the continuation of their series a long time ago. Sorry guys, not buying a game that feels like FF8 backgrounds, FFX characters, a smörgåsbord of stories and elements, and Matrix fighting styles.

Sorry Square, it just isn't happening.

FF4 was a great step forward, FF6 was a masterpiece, FF7 had some of the greatest environments of all time, FFT had the deepest storyline of all time, and the rest from that point on were all horrible. I am not buying random games here and there, only the ones I particularly care about or appeal to me in some sense.

Leaper

Jun 3, 2009
NickCaligo42 said:
In the last several years Bioware dropped Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2, by all rights some of the most gorgeous games ever, featuring dozens of characters that you can dynamically interact with in addition to some pretty damned huge environments across multiple worlds, and they're telling us that today's graphics prevents them from making towns and shit?

I'm gonna call bullshit on this one. If modern hardware and graphical standards are really getting in their way, it's because they don't know their craft well enough to handle it.
Actualy most of the "cities" in Mass Effect 2 (can't really say for sure abour ME1, it as been ages since I played it) were pretty small, that is consisted basically of few rooms and werent really detailed that much. They looked good because of the specific "sci-fi" looks that Bioware gave them. The whole problem with FFVII is if they really would be trying to remake it, they would inevitably run into some big problems, because consoles have some seriuos restrictions, so they would be forced to do some significant changes. Atlast thats how I see it, I mean really, those guys are working within gaming industry for more years than some of us live, so I guess they know what they are talking about.