FFX ? I'm completely confused

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
I just finished FFX for the first time in my life about a week ago. I played it before in like 6th grade at my friend's house, but practically forgot everything about it (Tidus being a colossal **** notwithstanding). After finishing and thinking about it a lot, I've come to the conclusion that this might be the most confusing video game story I've ever seen, about on the same level as Neon Genesi Evangelion. And not only the story, but the setting and characters as well just make my head spin.

Before I start raving, I have to say that judged purely by its gaming merits, FFX is great. It's addictive as hell, has a deep and tactical, yet easy to understand combat system, varied locations and monsters, a leveling system that shouldn't be fun but is very much so, and despite its age, actually still looks quite pretty thanks to colourful design and location variety.

Got that? I liked FFX a LOT. I had tons of fun playing it. So don't complain about this being a "stop liking what I don't like" thread, because it isn't. I just want to discuss the completely bonkers plot, characters and setting, because after raving to all my friends about it, questions still keep popping up in my head.

I'll divide this into spoiler tags, this is a mountain of text.

I played the game up to about Zanarkand when I was a kid, so I never saw the full story. When I got past the point I'd played before, the plot went completely bonkers, because up until that point it had been fairly straightforward: go to Zanarkand to defeat Sin. But the dream sequence in which the truth about Tidus is revealed just made me go "WHAT?" and a bajillion more questions popped up, when what I had been expecting answers.

I'm not going to even try to explain what the plot was about because I haven't figured it out myself either. What was the plot supposed to be about? Was it Yuna's pilgrimage and eventual rebellion against the Church of Yevon? Or her and Tidus' romance? Tidus' daddy issues (AAAARRRGGGHHH SHUT UUUUUP!!!) that lead him to defeat Sin? About the Fayth keeping Zanarkand alive in a dream but getting to rest through Tidus? I never knew what element to treat as a central theme, and was completely lost at the end as to what actually was important to the story. Definitely not Seymour.

Why did the Fayth devise such a complex plan to get to rest (I'm assuming that their plan began with sending Jecht into Spira)? What did they need Tidus specifically for? What was there about him that enabled him to defeat the gargantuan planetary menace that is basically God? I never noticed there being anything special about him, some kind of ability or power that gave him that ability. Okay, his connection to Sin through Jecht was part of the plot, but it didn't really give him anything special to go with. Or was his hatred for his father so great it allowed him to kill gods? Couldn't the Fayth just have picked some great warrior from dream Zanarkand and send him to kill Sin instead? Why pick a sports star to do it? Why even include the whole thing about Zanarkand existing in a half-real state and blah blah blah? There could have been much more simple ways to tell the same story.

I remember hating Tidus even on my first playthrough which I never finished. After seeing the full game, I can safely say he's a selfish, egomaniacal, impatient, stupid ignorant asshole of a character. But as much as I hate him, his character just confuses me even more.

His character design

why does he wear clothes like that? It gets even worse when you realize that that's actually his sports gear. Seriously. The moment Sin attacks Zanarkand in the beginning he's playing blitzball. In those clothes! What the hell? His behavior is also completely bonkers. The whole game he asks stupid questions about stuff that's perfectly ordinary ("Crews of what?") but when he's told HE ACTUALLY ISN'T A REAL PERSON he just goes "What? Okay, I guess" and accepts it. Is this guy even human? Also, when he goes to look for Yuna in Besaid's cloister of trials, his only reason to do so is "well I'm an anime character so I'm supposed to do it". Who does he think he is? Does he think he's going to work everything out, despite knowing nothing about anything around him and being surrounded by people who know the whole Yevon stuff through and through?

The game is just cluttered with moments in which Tidus' plans seem to be (allegorically put) "bang your head against a brick wall hard enough and it'll break down eventually". He never stops to think about anything and just rushes blindly to do stuff because he wants to. A prime example of this is when Kimahri stalls Seymour in Bevelle so that the others can escape. But Tidus just goes "No", and runs to help Kimahri. And the game never punishes him for this kind of behavior. Tidus never faces any conflict of character or starts thinking that maybe he should change his approach. The story actually rewards him for it by making him look like a hero and getting the girl. Not even the other characters ever hint at him that it would be better to sometimes to just sit and think things through.

Who is he supposed to appeal to? Who decided to make the main character a worshipped, popular sports superstar with apparently tons of fans and success? Doesn't that scream of unrelatability, especially with Final Fantasy audiences? Are we supposed to care about him? Is he supposed to be a fantasy we're supposed to wish we were? Okay, there's his whole daddy issue thing and having the burden of following in Jecht's footsteps, but couldn't there have been more relatable ways of doing that? Just pick some more mundane and down-to earth profession that "sports superstar" and make Tidus and Jecht that. Why wouldn't that work better?

Some minor mentions about the other characters:

- Rikku is completely useless in terms of gameplay. I never used her for anything else than snatching items from monsters. Why Yuna wants her to become her guardian is never explained.
- Auron is perhaps the most tolerable character in the game, but at times it felt like the game was trying way too hard to make him mysterious and enigmatic. There were times when I wanted to slap him and just clearly explain Tidus some stuff. Also, he would have made a far better and far more sense as the main character.
- Yuna made me almost pull my hair out at times. She's such a doormat. Even when she got captured in Luca, i.e. her guardians failed at what they're supposed to do she just apologizes and says she's sorry. And what really ground my gears was that back in Besaid she thanks Tidus for helping her at the Trials. No he didn't! Tidus didn't do anything! Everything was completely fine, and he had nothing to do with it!
- Kimahri I found the least annoying of the characters, mainly because he never talked much. That said, he could be written off the story and it would make absolutely zero difference.
- What was up with Lulu's dress?
This is where I got completely lost.

So Sin was created by the Fayth who were the surviors of Zanarkand as a tool of vengeance on Spira that no machina would ever be used again and Spira would suffer eternal humiliation by the Zanarkand that was lost in the war with Bevelle? Was that about it? Just explaining what the game's bad guy is shouldn't IMO take that much text. But then there was Lord Zaon who became the first Final Aeon and defeated Sin for the first time, becoming the next Sin, or did he? And if he was a summoner and Yu Yevon too, what was their purpose before Sin was created? The game establishes quite clearly that summoners exist to defeat Sin, but if they existed before Sin, what did they do back then? If the aeons were manifestations of the Fayth (were they? I forget) doesn't that mean that aeons didn't exist until Sin was born?

How many summoners are there in the world? We meet quite a lot of them during the game, so they don't seem very uncommon. But if their purpose of existence is fighting Sin, and it only takes on summoner and one guardian to do it, what do the other summoners do during the Calm when Sin is away? Do they work as priests or what? Also, if there are so many of them and they've all seen Sin return time and time again, wouldn't there be a load of summoners waiting in line at Zanarkand just to kick Sin's ass? How long does the Calm last? Could a summoner do his pilgrimage during the calm, gathering up all the aeons and when Sin returns, travel to Zanarkand and defeat Sin? Are the aeons on holiday during the Calm?

How does Sin work? How much of the will of the guardian who turns into Sin is left when the transformation happens? In that one scene Auron says Sin came to that one beach because Sin is actually Jecht and he wanted to see his son. That would imply that the guardian has some control over Sin. But people all over Spira talk about how Sin has attacked such and such place. Is killing and destruction some kind of automatic, natural thing Sin does as easily as we breathe? What is going inside the transformed guardian's head when he's slaughtering people by the thousands and rampaging across Spira?

If you can give me clear answers on at least some of these questions it would be very helpful. I have a tendency to overanalyze stuff and clearing some of this from my head would free up a lot of thought for better things to think about. Maybe I should stop wathing Spoony's reviews because I seem to have adapted his overly analytic way of thinking.

Edit: As a final mention I forgot, the Cloister of Trials in Bevelle was undoubtedly the least fun I've ever had playing a videogame. God, it sucked.

Edit #2: Okay people: I wrote the "walked out of the room to do something else" as a comedic exaggeration. I never walked out of the room during vital cutscenes, I just opened my laptop and occasionally looked over to the screen when someone was talking in case I'd miss some important lines. And you don't need to explain the whole Zanarkand being a dream thing to me, I understood it by myself.

Thoughts?

Terratina.

RIP Escapist RP Board
May 24, 2012
I'm going to try to answer some of those questions, though I feel that you should take a look at the TV Tropes page [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/VideoGame/FinalFantasyX?from=Main.FinalFantasyX]. Spoiler-tagging time mainly to err on the side of caution as this whole thing is filled with spoilers for the game in question.

bartholen said:
What was the plot supposed to be about?
The pilgrimage to defeat Sin, in short it's all about the journey.

bartholen said:
Couldn't the Fayth just have picked some great warrior from dream Zanarkand and send him to kill Sin instead?
Jecht = Sin. Sin has been shown to have power over Dream Zanarkand in the beginning when Zanarkand got wrecked by Sin. Jecht picked Tidus because his son hated him so goddamn much. As for the gripes about the main character, the reason for that is just plainly 'because JRPGs'.

bartholen said:
- Rikku is completely useless in terms of gameplay. I never used her for anything else than snatching items from monsters. Why Yuna wants her to become her guardian is never explained.
Rikku is Yuna's cousin, and Yuna herself is half Al-Bhed. Did you ever use her Overdrive btw? Mix is the best one ever just because of its utility, though you need an FAQ of what to mix to produce the best results.

bartholen said:
- Auron is perhaps the most tolerable character in the game, but at times it felt like the game was trying way too hard to make him mysterious and enigmatic. There were times when I wanted to slap him and just clearly explain Tidus some stuff. Also, he would have made a far better and far more sense as the main character.
Auron has already gone through the pilgrimage once and already knows everything. Tidus knows nothing about Spira, so it would be easier to explain to the player about the pilgrimage and stuff like that through Tidus.

bartholen said:
But then there was Lord Zaon who became the first Final Aeon and defeated Sin for the first time, becoming the next Sin, or did he?
Ayup. A guardian of the summoner is chosen to become the summoner's Final Aeon, which defeats Sin and kills the summoner and the guardian becomes Sin, and Sin returns after a little while. A spiral of destruction, no?

bartholen said:
Thoughts?
I think you should look at a synopsis of the plot, or play the game again to look at the full story. It sounds like you are missing a lot of pieces of the puzzle.

Flamezdudes

Aug 27, 2009
bartholen said:
I just finished FFX for the first time in my life about a week ago. I played it before in like 6th grade at my friend's house, but practically forgot everything about it (Tidus being a colossal **** notwithstanding). After finishing and thinking about it a lot, I've come to the conclusion that this might be the most confusing video game story I've ever seen, about on the same level as Neon Genesi Evangelion. And not only the story, but the setting and characters as well just make my head spin.

Before I start raving, I have to say that judged purely by its gaming merits, FFX is great. It's addictive as hell, has a deep and tactical, yet easy to understand combat system, varied locations and monsters, a leveling system that shouldn't be fun but is very much so, and despite its age, actually still looks quite pretty thanks to colourful design and location variety.

Got that? I liked FFX a LOT. I had tons of fun playing it. So don't complain about this being a "stop liking what I don't like" thread, because it isn't. I just want to discuss the completely bonkers plot, characters and setting, because after raving to all my friends about it, questions still keep popping up in my head.

I'll divide this into spoiler tags, this is a mountain of text.

I played the game up to about Zanarkand when I was a kid, so I never saw the full story. When I got past the point I'd played before, the plot went completely bonkers, because up until that point it had been fairly straightforward: go to Zanarkand to defeat Sin. But the dream sequence in which the truth about Tidus is revealed just made me go "WHAT?" and a bajillion more questions popped up, when what I had been expecting answers.

I'm not going to even try to explain what the plot was about because I haven't figured it out myself either. What was the plot supposed to be about? Was it Yuna's pilgrimage and eventual rebellion against the Church of Yevon? Or her and Tidus' romance? Tidus' daddy issues (AAAARRRGGGHHH SHUT UUUUUP!!!) that lead him to defeat Sin? About the Fayth keeping Zanarkand alive in a dream but getting to rest through Tidus? I never knew what element to treat as a central theme, and was completely lost at the end as to what actually was important to the story. Definitely not Seymour.

Why did the Fayth devise such a complex plan to get to rest (I'm assuming that their plan began with sending Jecht into Spira)? What did they need Tidus specifically for? What was there about him that enabled him to defeat the gargantuan planetary menace that is basically God? I never noticed there being anything special about him, some kind of ability or power that gave him that ability. Okay, his connection to Sin through Jecht was part of the plot, but it didn't really give him anything special to go with. Or was his hatred for his father so great it allowed him to kill gods? Couldn't the Fayth just have picked some great warrior from dream Zanarkand and send him to kill Sin instead? Why pick a sports star to do it? Why even include the whole thing about Zanarkand existing in a half-real state and blah blah blah? There could have been much more simple ways to tell the same story.

I remember hating Tidus even on my first playthrough which I never finished. After seeing the full game, I can safely say he's a selfish, egomaniacal, impatient, stupid ignorant asshole of a character. But as much as I hate him, his character just confuses me even more.

His character design

why does he wear clothes like that? It gets even worse when you realize that that's actually his sports gear. Seriously. The moment Sin attacks Zanarkand in the beginning he's playing blitzball. In those clothes! What the hell? His behavior is also completely bonkers. The whole game he asks stupid questions about stuff that's perfectly ordinary ("Crews of what?") but when he's told HE ACTUALLY ISN'T A REAL PERSON he just goes "What? Okay, I guess" and accepts it. Is this guy even human? Also, when he goes to look for Yuna in Besaid's cloister of trials, his only reason to do so is "well I'm an anime character so I'm supposed to do it". Who does he think he is? Does he think he's going to work everything out, despite knowing nothing about anything around him and being surrounded by people who know the whole Yevon stuff through and through?

The game is just cluttered with moments in which Tidus' plans seem to be (allegorically put) "bang your head against a brick wall hard enough and it'll break down eventually". He never stops to think about anything and just rushes blindly to do stuff because he wants to. A prime example of this is when Kimahri stalls Seymour in Bevelle so that the others can escape. But Tidus just goes "No", and runs to help Kimahri. And the game never punishes him for this kind of behavior. Tidus never faces any conflict of character or starts thinking that maybe he should change his approach. The story actually rewards him for it by making him look like a hero and getting the girl. Not even the other characters ever hint at him that it would be better to sometimes to just sit and think things through.

Who is he supposed to appeal to? Who decided to make the main character a worshipped, popular sports superstar with apparently tons of fans and success? Doesn't that scream of unrelatability, especially with Final Fantasy audiences? Are we supposed to care about him? Is he supposed to be a fantasy we're supposed to wish we were? Okay, there's his whole daddy issue thing and having the burden of following in Jecht's footsteps, but couldn't there have been more relatable ways of doing that? Just pick some more mundane and down-to earth profession that "sports superstar" and make Tidus and Jecht that. Why wouldn't that work better?

Some minor mentions about the other characters:

- Yuna made me almost pull my hair out at times. She's such a doormat. Even when she got captured in Luca, i.e. her guardians failed at what they're supposed to do she just apologizes and says she's sorry. And what really ground my gears was that back in Besaid she thanks Tidus for helping her at the Trials. No he didn't! Tidus didn't do anything! Everything was completely fine, and he had nothing to do with it!
- Kimahri I found the least annoying of the characters, mainly because he never talked much. That said, he could be written off the story and it would make absolutely zero difference.
- What was up with Lulu's dress?
This is where I got completely lost.

So Sin was created by the Fayth who were the surviors of Zanarkand as a tool of vengeance on Spira that no machina would ever be used again and Spira would suffer eternal humiliation by the Zanarkand that was lost in the war with Bevelle? Was that about it? Just explaining what the game's bad guy is shouldn't IMO take that much text. But then there was Lord Zaon who became the first Final Aeon and defeated Sin for the first time, becoming the next Sin, or did he? And if he was a summoner and Yu Yevon too, what was their purpose before Sin was created? The game establishes quite clearly that summoners exist to defeat Sin, but if they existed before Sin, what did they do back then? If the aeons were manifestations of the Fayth (were they? I forget) doesn't that mean that aeons didn't exist until Sin was born?

How many summoners are there in the world? We meet quite a lot of them during the game, so they don't seem very uncommon. But if their purpose of existence is fighting Sin, and it only takes on summoner and one guardian to do it, what do the other summoners do during the Calm when Sin is away? Do they work as priests or what? Also, if there are so many of them and they've all seen Sin return time and time again, wouldn't there be a load of summoners waiting in line at Zanarkand just to kick Sin's ass? How long does the Calm last? Could a summoner do his pilgrimage during the calm, gathering up all the aeons and when Sin returns, travel to Zanarkand and defeat Sin? Are the aeons on holiday during the Calm?

How does Sin work? How much of the will of the guardian who turns into Sin is left when the transformation happens? In that one scene Auron says Sin came to that one beach because Sin is actually Jecht and he wanted to see his son. That would imply that the guardian has some control over Sin. But people all over Spira talk about how Sin has attacked such and such place. Is killing and destruction some kind of automatic, natural thing Sin does as easily as we breathe? What is going inside the transformed guardian's head when he's slaughtering people by the thousands and rampaging across Spira?

If you can give me clear answers on at least some of these questions it would be very helpful. I have a tendency to overanalyze stuff and clearing some of this from my head would free up a lot of thought for better things to think about. Maybe I should stop wathing Spoony's reviews because I seem to have adapted his overly analytic way of thinking.

Thoughts?
Well... that's a rant and a half.

Firstly, there is no point questioning any of the character's clothing. It's a fantasy game and... a japanese one at that.

Yuna wanted Rikku as a guardian partly because they're cousins.

Now onto the plot.

Zanarkand and Bevelle were in a war together 1000 years ago and Bevelle was starting to win massively due to their overpowering mechanical strength, whilst Zanarkand had strength through summoners. Yu Yevon thought everything was doomed and so the people of Zanarkand were sacrificed to create a fayth to summon a eternal, never ending dream Zanarkand created from the memories of tne former inhabitants which was pretty much impossible to get to (it was supposedly far out at sea - basically Tidus never went into the future, he just left his Dream Zanarkand bubble).

Yu Yevon set this dream Zanarkand out to sea, then called pyreflies to himself to craft the first Sin. Sin was given two objectives: protect the dream Zanarkand, and to ensure it was not discovered, and to destroy any city that grew too large or relied too heavily on technology. The strain of trying to control Sin was beyond Yu Yevon, and the process destroyed his mind, removing any conscious control he may have had on it. Sin thus became a monster that knew only its two instincts, and indiscriminately attacked cities and villages all over Spira, starting with the true Zanarkand itself.

To allow Spira a reprieve and hope for salvation, Yu Yevon's daughter, Yunalesca, presented a way to destroy Sin - the Final Aeon, a powerful aeon born from a bond of love. Sacrificing her husband Zaon for the ritual, he became the Final Aeon and destroyed Sin. Yu Yevon's spirit possessed Zaon's body, and over time Zaon transformed into a new Sin. During this time, the new Sin was too weak to terrorize Spira as it grew, establishing a temporary time of Calm.

Apparently the only one able to create the Final Aeon, Yunalesca became an unsent and taught the people of Spira that if they atone for the sins of Bevelle and Zanarkand during the Machina War, one day Sin would be vanquished for good. In truth, Yunalesca and the highest leaders of the Church of Yevon knew Sin would always return, but their teachings gave Spira hope and kept its citizens from giving in to despair.

I always supposed that those who became the Final Aeon had some form of control at times through strength of will but ultimately couldn't control Sin completely. Tidus also doesn't really have any "special powers" or abilities, he's just a dream. Tidus suggests that instead of killing Sin itself, they find a way to destroy Yu Yevon's spirit within it, and thus a new Sin will never be born. The party wages a full scale attack on Sin with the airship Fahrenheit and enter its mouth to find Yu Yevon. In the deepest part of Sin they find a recreation of the dream Zanarkand in ruins, where Jecht awaits them. The party destroys Jecht and Yu Yevon emerges.
Yuna calls her aeons one by one and Yu Yevon possesses them, and the party destroys them as well. With no aeons left to control Yu Yevon himself fights the party, and they kill him in a final battle, Yuna performing a Sending to place his spirit at rest. With Yu Yevon's defeat, Sin is vanquished and the Eternal Calm begins, Spira finally freed.

The plot was about various things, the Church was to provide a backdrop to the pilgrimage and show the effects Sin and Yu Yevon had on the world and how corrupt it was. Final Fantasy usually has rebellion against world powers in their stories. Tidus and Yuna's romance was just another part and aspect to their journey but was important to the characters. Tidus' "daddy issues" weren't that important but it was in that he was finally able to reconcile with his father and understand him. The Fayth still existed back before Sin it seems, just they weren't summoning Dream Zanarkand and were used as weapons of war.

I don't understand why you're trying to seperate things into making the story only about one thing.

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
As for Rikku being Yuna's cousin: I never once noticed it being mentioned it in this game, and I was paying extra attention to notice it. I knew it in advance because of Spoony's review of FFX-2, but I never saw it in FFX. Maybe it was during one of the 10+ minutes long cutscenes when I walked out of the room to do something else. If it is mentioned in FFX, when is it?

Ninmecu

May 31, 2011
To quote Jim.
It's the story of an imaginary man who's trying to kill his dad-Who's also a whale.
Or something to that effect anyway.

bartholen said:
As for Rikku being Yuna's cousin: I never once noticed it being mentioned it in this game, and I was paying extra attention to notice it. I knew it in advance because of Spoony's review of FFX-2, but I never saw it in FFX. Maybe it was during one of the 10+ minutes long cutscenes when I walked out of the room to do something else. If it is mentioned in FFX, when is it?
During the Raid on HOME if memory serves. You learn Cid is Yuna's Mom's Brother, or Yuna's Uncle. Cid being Rikku's father makes them cousins.

KarmaTheAlligator

Mar 2, 2011
bartholen said:
Pretty sure they mention that Cid is Yuna's uncle when they're at Home (although they do mention that Yuna is half Al-Bhed during the Blitzball tournament). And with Rikku being Cid's daughter, just join the dots.

As for Tidus being there and doing what he does while knowing nothing about this world,
it's because he knows nothing that he can think outside the box (he's not going to stop doing something he feels is right just because it's against the "rules", like Wakka does so often). It's also due to his connection to Sin/Jecht that they even got a chance to stop it forever. And yes, he is supposed to be a spoiled brat at the start, and becomes a much more tolerable person later on.

Yuna is a real doormat, at least at the start, and only goes beyond that after they decide to take down Sin for good. Keep in mind her attitude is just a front as she is actually terrified through most of the game.

Rikku is the most versatile character in the game, and the only reason most challenge runs are possible.

As for the setting, Bevelle and Zanarkand were at war, with Bevelle being a machina city, and Zanarkand being a summoner city. Zanarkand was losing, so they (well, Yu Yevon) summoned Sin. After that the history got twisted by Bevelle to create the society that Spira is in the game.
The Final Aeon that defeats Sin is then taken over by Yu Yevon and becomes the next Sin, and the original guardian has some control over their actions, but not much.
The calm only lasts a few months at most.

At least that's my take on it.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
I'm really confused why you think a story that contains more than one thing is weird. It's fine to have romance plots and father figures and an action journey.

Then a lot of it is covered by this article by Film Hulk
http://badassdigest.com/2012/10/30/film-crit-hulk-smash-hulk-vs.-plot-holes-and-movie-logic/

The tl;dr is that stories are about emotional experiences and arguments and not about creating a rigorous logical argument (that's science's job). The fight scenes in Jurassic Park and the Last Crusade are all over the place and make no sense, but it doesn't matter because they're creating tension and excitement. And lots of the all time great films have logic that makes no sense when you examine closely, but it didn't stop the films from being incredible. You need enough consistency for the theme and purpose to come through and then after that it's only a problem if the holes are stopping you from progressing. And the aims of FFX are pretty clear. These people are going to die. This is a beautiful strange world eternally held back by the cycle of death. You cannot win this fight and die. Should you accept the death of your loved ones. Dealing with father problems etc.

But to answer some specific questions about the Tidus/Jecht thing
The idea was that by having Jecht become Sin he had an emotional connection to Tidus which helped the party, made Sin more predictable and stopped Sin from going all out on them. And then that emotional connection allowed Jecht to hold back and bare his vunerable side to Tidus for the final fight, allowing them to finish him off

Benpasko

Jul 3, 2011
I enjoy that you called Rikku useless. Her overdrive is so ridiculously overpowered that she can solo the hardest fights in the game with it.

AuronFtw

Nov 29, 2010
The game has multiple themes that are explored via different characters and their interactions. It has inter-family conflict, parental neglect and forgiveness as the main theme between Tidus and Jecht. It has love, duty and sacrifice as the theme between Tidus, Yuna, Rikku, Cid and most of the al-bhed (with a smaller theme resonating between Tidus, Auron and Jecht). It has faith, religion and the corruption of the church as the theme between Yuna, Seymour and Mika.

On a smaller level, the conflict in beliefs is also reflected in your party - Wakka is a devout follower of the church, but Rikku is a devout "atheist" (this universe's equivalent, anyway) that never accepts the church's explanation for anything and seeks other answers. Yuna starts out as a banner around which they all rally - a symbol of the church and a monument of happiness for the people. But as the game progresses, both Yuna and her guardians learn nasty truths about what the church actually is and what the people at the top represent. This creates cognitive dissonance - in Yuna and Wakka mostly, who have to wrestle with the idea that the faith they grew up with isn't what they thought it was.

Splitting hairs, looking for individual failures of the plot, etc is mostly pointless for a Final Fantasy game. They'll always be there. But even so, FFX had the most coherent "plot" (or at least, most coherent themes) throughout the whole game. Bad guys weren't introduced 3/4 of the way through, characters didn't have unexplained overhauls of personality or desire halfway through, it was mostly a steady progression exploring the various themes it presented.

Regardless, I think you could do with another playthrough - one where you actually stop and think about what the characters are doing and why. Even ignoring the blatantly false comments re: rikku being useless (due to her literally gamebreaking limit break), you basically miss the point of Tidus completely. The TL:DR version is this: he's a child. He's what, 16? 17? 16 year olds *are* selfish. They *are* impatient. Combine the attitude of your typical teenager with the ignorance of being thrown into a world about which they know nothing, and the product is... Tidus, basically. On the one hand, his love for Yuna and his gung-ho nature make him want to "solve the world's problems," but out of kindness or other reasons nobody ever tells him what eventually happens to summoners. He has to yank the truth out of Rikku, at which point his entire persona changes... the first time. He is much less impatient, and more content to let Yuna spend more time at each spot on her pilgrimage, because he understands it will be her last. He begins to understand sacrifice.

Later, the Fayth of Bahamut tells him
he is merely a dream projected from the world of zanarkand in the hopes that he will end the continued enslavement of the dreamers
and his personality changes *again*. He becomes more somber, less excited about everything - and treasures every moment he has with Yuna. In multiple scenes she even detects something isn't right, but he can't tell her the truth - he fears it would hurt her too much and possibly interfere with her ability to complete her pilgrimage. At this point, his motivation has changed. He no longer wants to help Yuna out of young love or a desire to appear mature; he has a bond with Yuna, wants to see her succeed and will do anything in his power to help her. Even if it's the last thing he does.

That's what we call a character arc. He starts off as an annoying dipshit teenager, and because of his relationship with others and the circumstances that conspire against them all, he grows and matures - making more adult decisions towards the end of the game. If he annoyed you at the beginning, it shows you he was characterized well. That's what he was supposed to do. But if you seriously study his words, actions and "character" as the game progresses, you will see marked change in him - the two biggest turning points I've listed here.

Is the game perfect? Na, there were characters (NPCs mostly) that didn't really have a point. More could have been done with Khimari, more could have been done with Lulu. The history between Kinoc and Auron isn't readily apparent - you don't actually find out the specifics unless you hunt for spheres in hard to reach places, and since Kinoc only appears in 4-5 scenes you tend to forget specifically what he says by the time you find the recordings. But here I am nitpicking :p

Overall I enjoyed it, and I have to say it wasn't until my second playthrough that I actually understood all the themes running through FFX. Almost everything to do with the church was beyond me when I was 11. I knew what they were saying, but I didn't know why it was relevant on such a scale. Having replayed it recently, I have a much greater respect for the story than I did ages past.

AuronFtw

Nov 29, 2010
KarmaTheAlligator said:
I was under the impression it lasted 10 years? Various character dialog and my guess at the passage of time hints at a longer calm than a few months. Yuna never seemed all that close with her dad, hinting that he died a long time ago, when she was very young. Tidus also hadn't had any contact with his dad for years, having last seen him as a young child.

KarmaTheAlligator

Mar 2, 2011
AuronFtw said:
KarmaTheAlligator said:
I was under the impression it lasted 10 years? Various character dialog and my guess at the passage of time hints at a longer calm than a few months. Yuna never seemed all that close with her dad, hinting that he died a long time ago, when she was very young. Tidus also hadn't had any contact with his dad for years, having last seen him as a young child.
It looks that way at first glance, because we learn that Sin was defeated 10 years prior by Lord Braska and all... But you also have plenty of evidence to the contrary (the following are proof taken from different sources):

-Auron rode Sin to Zanarkand after being killed by Yunalesca. He watched over Tidus for the last 10 years. The Sin he rode was Jecht-Sin, as he died to Yunalesca after his pals sacrificed themselves to kill the previous one.
-Rin found a wounded Auron 10 years ago, so he fought Yunalesca at that time. Shortly after he rode Sin.
-In X-2 Yuna's Calm is considered the Eternal Calm, and only 2 years passed since her accomplishment. If at that point people didn't suspect Sin would come back, that means every other time he came back in a shorter period of time.
-Before this game started, Lulu and Wakka had been guardians to a previous summoner (Father Zuke), who quit at the Calm Lands.
-Before that, Lulu had accompanied Lady Ginnem on her pilgrimage, which ended in the Cavern of the Stolen Fayth.
If the Calm lasted up until this game started, why would we need to send out summoners? What's there for them to fight? (Not to mention that during the game, they're so desperate they're sending out summoners left and right. Isaaru, Donna, and Yuna, just that we know of.)

The only significance of "ten years" is that that was when Braska was taken from Dream Zanarkand to Spira, and when he joined Braska and Auron on their journey. The calm BEGAN ten years ago....

.... but it ended nine years ago, at the latest. After all, Auron did use it to reach Dream Zanarkand.

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
AuronFtw said:
KarmaTheAlligator said:
I believe early on it is explained by lulu that yuna was very young, but verbal and intelligent enough to meet and remember jecht, when her father left and that she came of age close to the end of his calm. In my mind that translated from 6 when he left to 16 when she came of age, so ten years as well. It might even have been explicitly stated in the game, there is a hell of a lot of dialog to listen/read through.

OP:

Personally my issues with the story stemmed from the framing device (read: tidus' obliviousness) they used. While I concur with the above posters that tidus had a relatively good character arc and the idea that as an outsider tidus was uniquely qualified to question the sustained actions and decisions that propelled spira along its cycles I really felt it wasn't used to its full potential.

It is argued that tidus being present allowed jecht to make the fight easy enough on them that they could win without the final aeon, but I felt it was never adequately demonstrated. The fact that we never see what happens when jecht, as he was when you fight him rather than as the indistinct sin entity, doesn't take it easy on a group of warriors takes away from any impact there may have been from seeing him pull his punches as the story would have us believe he was doing during the player battle.

Secondarily, by choosing to frame the story from the outsider tidus' point of view, we missed out on a lot of interesting internal character arcs and conflicts from the other characters. Auron having to come to terms with leading one of his friends daughter to his same fate and having to accept killing his war buddy a second time is the only way to stop the cycle. Lulu having to relive a summoner quest, something she failed the first time with (what I took to be the implied) death of her charge. Wakka finding out the girl he raised was half the race he was raised to hate and simultaneously watching the basis of his personal faith being torn down in front of him. All of these are pretty intense and really interesting character arcs, but since we watch the story from tidus point of view, we get only the most obvious changes in attitude communicated to us despite the massive personal upheavals they would have caused the individuals we were watching. This is actually a testament to the storyteller, it would actually be a confused and dense story if all of this was explored (well more confused/dense), so it shows a level of restraint that they avoided going too far into it. I just think literally any one of the characters I mentioned would have made a better frame for the story that tidus.

I concur with you (the op) that it is hard to take tidus as the saviour seriously. If a childlike faythe can dream up the dragon king, surely dreaming of a better warrior was possible and could have sped things along. On the other hand, based on the spheres you can dig up it seemed to me that jecht actually was a competent warrior, and also less of a braying jackass, so perhaps they already tried the great warrior angle and it didn't work. Indeed it seemed to me that jecht took the path of a traditional warrior through self sacrifice, and it was tidus' apparent entitlement/selfishness that allowed him to stop the cycle.

michael87cn

Jan 12, 2011
You should really watch cutscenes next time? They actually cost a lot of money to make cutscenes look that nice back in the day... Actually at this period of time graphics quality like that wasn't seen on a console. They also portray the best moments of the game... -_-

Also, complaints about his appearance and his personality; you're probably not much better, and I don't mean that in a personal or offensive way -- just that the average person is kind of a selfish, egomaniacial jerk etc. etc. and that's why I think Tidus is a pretty good character. He's not a flawless uber-dude like Auron (who ironically is most peoples favorite character (rolls eyes)) <--- I used a double parenthesis!

Also, Tidus' clothes look strange because theyre his uniform for an underwater sport. They're part swimming trunk. Also... its not the real world so... they were going for a "well, that's different" look.

Also, Japanese game. :p

4th also in a row just because.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
This is why I still say 6 is the best. It's uncomplicated, the characters are varying combinations of sympathetic, interesting, funny, entertaining, awesome and likeable and SABIN SUPLEXES A TRAIN.

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
KarmaTheAlligator said:
Rikku is the most versatile character in the game, and the only reason most challenge runs are possible.
How so? It's been years since I've played the game and I'm planning to play again soon, how does one use Rikku the best?

sturryz

Nov 17, 2007
Didn't read anything but the title to preserve the purity of this post.

Yep, me too.

I will now proceed to read the post.

lapan

Jan 23, 2009
Kalezian said:
Titus isn't actually Titus since in X-2 we learn he was really a terrorist...... person who tried to take "mech #595956091" that probably could be used to destroy the world because "LOL, Plot Love".
Wrong. While he looks the same as Tidus and was likely the Fayths inspiration for the dream-self Tidus, he isn't Tidus himself.

Archangel768

Nov 9, 2010
For me, Final Fantasy XIII has the most confusing plot. There were things that I couldn't work out plot wise, as in, things happened that shouldn't have and no amount of looking on the net could explain it. (I've since forgotten what the plot holes were but yeah...)

On the other hand I believe that any questions I had about Final Fantasy X were answered on the net somewhere. I never had a problem with Tidus, I never found him to be an asshole and all the other words used to describe him but anyway.

As far as the central theme goes, to be honest, I never really thought about it and never really cared either way, I enjoyed the story and the twists and turns as the came up and was blown away by it all. As for explaining those things you asked, to be honest I've forgotten the final details of the game and the explanations for it all. It's just like Ghost in the Shell, I understand and follow the plot as I watch it, about an hour afterwards all the explanation for what happened goes out of my head.

The calm lasts 10 years. (EDIT: Okay, looked into it more, there's tons of evidence to suggest it lasts for different periods of times, I think the reason why I thought it was 10 years was because Braska defeated Sin 10 years ago and now it's on rampage again. Anyways...) Also, I don't remember there being THAT many summoners that I encountered, maybe 3 that I can think of off the top of my head. They did say that the pilgrimage was dangerous and with all the monsters about it's likely a lot of them die. Not to mention some choose to stop like one of them encountered in the game.