Fictional characters you dislike that others like.

Relish in Chaos

Mar 7, 2012
Scooby-Doo pisses me off so much. He?s just so annoying, unfunny, and ridiculously retarded, even for an anthropomorphic dog, and has no-one ever noticed that he basically just repeats everything Shaggy says? And yet, he gets top billing and some fucking commemorative statue built of him at the end of many episodes.

Tweety the Bird, Road Runner, and Hereny Hawk in Looney Tunes. It honestly seems as if those cartoons are tailored to specifically make us sympathetic with the so-called ?villains?: Sylvester the Cat, Wile E. Coyote, and Foghorn Leghorn, when more often than not, they?re just trying to catch their food. And Tweety has the most annoying voice ever, and him, Road Runner, and Hereny Hawk are just fucking trolls.

All the characters in How I Met Your Mother, except Barney and Robin. Ted?s an annoyingly idealistic and hopeless hypocritical romantic, and Marshall and Lily are a sitcom couple that I simply can?t invest in because of how cheesy and pointless they seem to be.

Krantos

Jun 30, 2009
soren7550 said:
For me, it's Katniss Everdeen. She's just not likeable.
She gets pretty much everyone killed in the end (in some horrible ways I might add), all because she wanted to go kill one guy, which she doesn't even do.
Not to mention she just acts like a ***** to everyone, and is sort of hissy fit prone.
Agreed, but in my opinion there were no likeable characters left at the end of that book. Except maybe
Haymitch.
All the other characters either died, had complete personality changes, or were total douchebags. Can't remember an ending that let me down more.

And while I'm ranting about that book:
Katniss should never have been jailed at the end of the book when she does that thing we all knew she was going to do. The resistance had built her up as waay too much of a hero for the people to turn on her that quickly for killing someone they barely knew. At that point in the story Katniss was basically Caesar. She could have been queen if she wanted it, but the author had to make sure we felt she was still (stupidly) being downtrodden and abandoned. To hell with narrative coherence.

*end rant*

For me, I also agree with those who said Batman.

kabooz18

May 27, 2009
I seriously dislike gordon freeman
because of the way in which he is a silent protagonist, with most types I have no issue like RYU from "breath of fire"
but he just comes off as an asshole -.-
yatzee had talked about him indirectly in his Dishonored [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/6445-Dishonored]

also Aerith from FF VII
I seem to be the only one who wasn't a bit phased when she finally kicked the bucket.
To a minor part cloud strife just because he fell in love with some humongous blob of naivety named aerith XD

C F

Jan 10, 2012
SonOfMethuselah said:
I've never really liked Ezio Auditore very much.
Right there with you.

Soviet Heavy said:
Liara T'Soni.
And you.

Mikeyfell said:
Miranda Lawson
And wow, I just cannot get a break today without someone beating me to the punch.

Well, I don't think anyone's said Jack yet.
There is just nothing likable about Jack in Mass Effect 2. Tragic backstory? I got that out of my system with Toombs [http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Corporal_Toombs] in ME1. And he was absolutely wrecked by it.
But you, Jack? You're still sane. You're still kicking. And you're still a spoiled brat with egocentric projections about your childhood. All the other kids had it off much worse than you due to the fact they weren't as valuable. Heck, they probably were subject to the same experiments you were for the sole purpose of kinking out the bugs just so they wouldn't screw it up when it came time to do you.

My sympathy reserves are empty, and you've got to fill them up yourself. Either get your act together (which she thankfully does in ME3) or go die in a fire.
She's very similar to the Trixie example, but I actually like Trixie. Not because I think she's in any way a deeper character than she's presented, but because I seriously think I can bust her down three notches with my own smug ego if we were to ever meet. She's amateur hour.
Jack though? I'd just as soon ditch her in a penitentiary and get it over with.

SilverBullets000

Apr 11, 2012
Magenera said:
SilverBullets000 said:
Johny Test. I can understand a character being motivated by selfish desires and maybe brushing their guilt to one side so they can move foward, but everything Johny Test does is for selfish reasons and he shows little to no guilt for doing so. He doesn't think, he doesn't empathize, and he gives no thought to the possible consequences of his actions. He's only a selfish little fuckwad with an annoying voice who would put the entire world in a pernament ice age if only to have an extra day off of school.

Actually, I hate all the characters from that show for various reasons, but he's so bad that it infuriates me.
Doesn't it bother you that the show is popular as hell.
Just a little. There are other, better shows that are also popular as hell, so they balance it out for me.

johnnyLupine said:
(stuff about Spiderman)
I can't claim that its because the new one is not proper marvel or what have you since Ive never really actually read the comics and my experience of the cartoons is limited to the series as it was in the 90's and it was enjoyable. There are many things about that new show which I felt were wrong, despite not being a hardcore comic fan. This irritates me.
This to...um, well, depending on which one you're talking about. I actually like Spectacular Spiderman, which was the last Spiderman cartoon. It had a strange art style, sure, but it kept the spirit of the older cartoon and the overall story arc was interesting.

The newest one, being Ultimate Spidermn, bums me out because teaming him up with other superheros who also know his secret identity takes away that sense of solitude that comes with keeping his identity a secret. Basically, in the older cartoons, he was alone in balancing his life as Spiderman and his life as Peter Parker. In this one, he has his other super hero buddies.
There's also the bad puns that break the pace of the action, the weird changes (Eddie Brock no longer Venom (like you said, I don't read the comics, so I don't know what's going on there)), and other things that I'm sure I'll think about after I've posted this.

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
That whiny **** from Catcher in the Rye. I don't see what was so controversial about that book, even for the time period and he's not a likable character at all.

Also, Howard Roark. Annoys me to death and can't sit through the entire book without rolling my eyes and saying "fuck this" and reading something else. I see the appeal of his character, I do, but it just doesn't appeal to me.

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
I don?t like Daenarys from a song of ice and fire and hope she doesn?t end up on the Iron throne.
I?m not particularly fond of Tali or Liara (ME) even though they are hugely popular, especially in ME1.
Avalanche91 said:
Mako; from the legend of Korra

This guy is a douche and yet somehow has 2 attractive woman after him, one being the Avatar the other a girl from an incredibly wealthy family. The entire finale I was waiting for both Korra and Asami to ditch him and go for lesbians.
I know a lot of people liked him at the start but I think by the end most of the fanbase hates him...or at least most of the more vocal fanbase.

Zeles

Oct 3, 2009
Flame shields up!

Axel from Kingdom Hearts. He isn't a BAD character, but all the fanlove that goes to him makes me cringe. What I see of his character is that he's a douche, but feels bad about being a douche, and so he tries to stop being a douche, but realizes that it's too late to make amends for his douchy ways. Then he pulls a heroic sacrifice and everything is all better. Except it isn't.

But during all of that, he sort of forgot about someone. They didn't go away, or anything like that, but he just sort of grew apart from them. And having been subjected to that from someone who had been my friend for years, my sympathies lie with the guy who was probably very confused at everything that was happening. And so now, when he finds himself on the opposite side of his former friend in a conflict, I hope that his character will feel guilty about forgetting this friend, and try to make amends.

Also, River Song from Doctor Who. Whenever she appears, she always takes the center stage. Was she even needed in the fifth episode of the current season? She seemed pretty pointless, and her role could have been filled by anyone.

Magicman10893

Aug 3, 2009
Tiny Tina from Borderlands 2. Everyone thinks she's so original, well written, whatever. I hate that little ***** and she makes child abuse seem like it's not such a bad idea. And yes, I am aware that the reason she is a crazy sadist is because she was horribly abused and her parents where killed. Doesn't change my mind that Fleshstick should have just finished her off. I wish it were like Fallout/Skyrim where I could download a mod that let me kill children so that I could finally shut her up. It seems almost intentional that the most efficient way to farm experience in that game is continually fail her side mission.

EDIT: I was blinded by my fury towards that annoying, little ***** from Borderlands 2 that I completely forgot about other characters from other games.

Jack (Mass Effect 2) - The tragic girl that can only be cured by Shepard's penis. Not only was her reaction to her backstory weak (I saw the "twist" coming as soon as I went into the facility and saw the first hologram) and frustrating that I couldn't talk some sense into her and explain what really happened there, but the fact that her whole story arc can't be completed unless you are both a man and happen to romance her just pisses me off.

Miranda (Mass Effect 2) - Oh whah, I'm perfect and better than you in every way... except that I'm still human and therefore still make mistakes, but I'm still perfect in every way and I'm mad about it. Can it lady, no one would know that you were "perfect" if you didn't feel the need to bring it up in literally every conversation.

Tali (Mass Effect 1-3) - I seriously don't get the appeal. Sure, she's a shy nerdy girl, but she was just so horribly boring in ME1 that I never brought her along aside from the playthrough for her achievement. In ME2 you don't get her until late in the game and even then her powers still make me opt of using her for any mission other than fighting Geth. Her story did get a little better this time around.

Marril (Dragon Age 2) - Pretty much Tali in Elf form, right down to her own stupidity and recklessness ruining the lives of her people (Tali's Loyalty Mission in ME2 if you are wondering about the connection here).

Bullfrog1983

Dec 3, 2008
Kenny from the Walking Dead games.

He's a total douchebag towards you all the time despite the fact you saved his family many times while traveling together. He treats you like an asshole the entire time if you don't follow him religiously and seems dedicated to getting rid of you unless you help him crush Larry's skull.

Zeles

Oct 3, 2009
Drago-Morph said:
Batman.

Yeah, I said it. Batman.

Total ponce, that one. Superman I like because of the whole messiah thing. I like most of the popular Marvel characters (Spidey being my favorite superhero of all). Most non-XTREME 90's comic characters I have no real problem with. I don't like Batman because he's a Mary Sue at this point, and he's sort of a hilarious self-parody. A dark superhero character can totally work; but when you decide to detail why that character is dark, and then give them the weakest reason to be brooding out of most other comic characters, he starts to lose appeal. Frank Castle has a good reason to be a dark "I-AM-JUSTICE" type. Batman, not so much. Not to mention anytime someone feels like calling him out on his jerk behavior, he resorts to his trump card of dead parents. Superman's entire species is dead and he's still a pretty nice guy. Then you add in the fact that, of the major three superheroes (Spidey, Bats, and Supes), he's the only one who doesn't really have a big philosophical concept behind him, and you understand my frustration at him being the biggest thing since sliced bread. I mean, I might be able to like him a bit if everyone wasn't so in love with him, but they are, to a grating degree, and when I look at it I just can't see much to love besides "cool-techy-ninja-dude". There's no really likable character there, no deep moral themes; just the cool dude who beats up criminals and has a gadget for everything.
Huh. I never heard it like that before.
Yeah, now that you mention it... I'm hesitant to say this but... He really needs to get over the whole 'dead parent' thing.
Don't take that the wrong way! I get that loosing a parent is horrible. Loosing two? On the same night? And seeing them die right in front of you?
That'll screw you up. But, here's the thing. They've been dead for, what, 30 some years at this point? Trying to make a world where no one has to go through what he went through is admirable, but you don't have to let that be the only reason!
And for the love of God, Bruce Wayne can afford a therapist! I can understand that what he went through traumatized him, and that because of that he has trouble making relationships(?). But jeeze! Therapy! You need it!
And you don't have to keep putting people in the hospital Batsy-Pansy! Tranquilizers would work just as well as a kick to the face.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
the entire cast of Eva. every last one of them. 'cept Misato, her i liked, the rest could die slow in a fire and I'd be ok with it.

fluffybunny937

Jul 5, 2009
Darth Bane. Everytime my friends and I talk about Star Wars he comes up. I am absoultely bored by the character, and all I hear is how he is a "badass","way cool", and "the most powerful Star Wars character", making a character(s) overpowered doesn't make him/her/it/them interesting. I found Darth Nihilus more interesting, despite the fact you barely see him in KOTOR2 and you can't even understand what he says. Maybe it's a less is more thing with him. This guy here had a good explanation, http://lparchive.org/Knights-of-the-Old-Republic-II/Update%2053/ (warning: the part about Nihilus is pretty far down the page, so you can either read the entire page of scroll down to the part where you see this "Say hello to Darth Nihilus, Lord of Hunger")

*edit: I find Darth Bane so uninteresting and overrated that I posted a theory about a character who is slightly more interesting.

Kitsune Hunter

What a beautiful Duwang!
Dec 18, 2011
Ted from HIMYM, he's incredically annoying, pretentious, a massive hypocrite when it comes to romance where he claims to be looking for the one, but is shallow and goes out with any bimbo that comes his way, I know Barney does the same, but at least he's honest about it. But the one thing that pisses me off is his relationship with Robin, my God do they drag this out, I mean we know she isn't the mother, from the first episode might I add, so what's with the on off relationship, just drop it already. And there's also the last episode of series 7 whenever he drives off with Victoria on her wedding day, yeah Ted remember when you were left at the alter by Stella, well you done the same thing to her boyfriend, one thing I can describe Ted after that, Scumbag Ted

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
ODWX9K said:
No. Why would anyone count as a victim except one that has been victimized?
Just that to my knowledge none of the characters you mentioned have the attitude that everyone should be punished, and nor do their enemies commit victimless crimes.

Valis7

Oct 17, 2012
BENZOOKA said:
"*****, whine and complain about things" - thread, number 52211394
What else are we supposed to do on the internet? Something productive? lol