Fight like a .... coward?

Kryzantine

Feb 18, 2010
I don't understand this belief that giving up your money is cowardly. It's actually pretty funny that the OP mentions guys who "disable 40 attackers using krav maga techniques", because one of the first rules of Krav Maga is that it is used only when there is no other way - if a robber asks you for your wallet, hand him your wallet. Use survival technique only when your life is on the line.

Most robbers will leave you alone if you give them what they want - especially if they need to keep doing it in the future. They need to maintain a reputation, since if people know that the robber harms his target even if they get what they want, they will not give up what the robber wants in the future. Now, if there's a personal side to this, then self-defense may be necessary, and to be fair, we know when we'll need to use it; but for the most part, thieves will be honourable. If they are asking for a small amount of money, just give it to them. They have no reason to beat you up once they have what they want.

I was actually once held up with a knife at my neck. It was a very interesting experience, I didn't feel like my life was threatened at that point, but I gave the guy what he wanted regardless. I had the feeling he wouldn't harm me after that, and I was right. Even had a bit of fun with him while at knife point.

AquaAscension

Sep 29, 2009
BiscuitTrouser said:
Given the current state of affairs saying that to not fight is unmanly and cowardly, what you did, perhaps ironically, is not. You're going against the grain of society, but men need to realize that there are very few things actually worth fighting for. If you fight for everything then everything becomes less value - your energy becomes less valuable, your blood and sweat as well. Money in such a small amount which can be replaced is not valuable enough to fight for. What you did, I think, actually sanctifies fighting and places it as a last resort and measure of absolute necessity. Now, at least, you'll have a better understanding of yourself and what you're willing to fight for.

Jacco

May 1, 2011
BiscuitTrouser said:
People who say they would fight off an attacker with Krav Maga have never studied it. Or any "street" martial art. The very first thing they tell you is that you never, ever, EVER, fight unless you absolutely have to. Meaning they are holding a gun/knife to you or a loved one with the intent to kill them. It doesn't matter how good you are or how many years you have been training, a knife or bullet will still kill you and despite what the movies want us to believe, it is nearly impossible to take on two people and absolutely impossible to take on more than that and walk away.
I remember the first thing my instructor told us when we started learning knife defense word for word: "Don't ever get into a knife fight if you don't have to. You WILL get cut. But if it comes down to it, you win it by not getting cut in the wrong places."

From what you described, you did exactly the right thing. You are very lucky he didn't have a weapon and didn't intend to hurt you. But you don't know that he didn't have something concealed and if you had tried to fight it, there is nothing more dangerous than going into a fight with the expectation it will be solely fists. So don't feel that you could have done more or less. You reacted the way you reacted and came out unhurt and lost comparatively very little.

Report it to the police and let them take it from there. I'm glad you weren't hurt.

Zorak the Mantis

Oct 17, 2007
I would fight, given that particular situation. But I believe Manfred von Richtoven put it best, I believe he said something along the lines of; "I did not become the best pilot by winning every battle, but by running from those that I could not win."

I personally have never been robbed. However there was bad a string of muggings around my area when I was in high school, many of my friends were robbed by this gang of guys who carried knives and such. The local police didn't do too much since it was all petty crime. Well, a couple of fellas I know decided to take matters into their own hands when one of their younger brothers was robbed and roughed up a bit. So they bought the kid a nice set of clothes and shoes, had him walk to where the mugging had taken place late one night. Kid gets mugged again, only this time he's got his cellphone set to dial his brother with a push of a button. The kid pushes the button, and five big dudes with baseball bats show up and beat the shit out of the three muggers. Six years later and we have never had a mugging in my town since, street justice ftw?

Moromillas

May 25, 2010
No plan, no attack strategy, no information on your enemy, no allies - You did the right thing I'd say. Fighting isn't always about being the toughest, you also have to be cunning little bastard, you have to be smart about it. That's not cowardice, that's called: not being a complete dumb ass.

Now, I haven't been robbed, so I couldn't really tell you how I'd react in that situation. I donno, maybe, if I was pissed off enough. I would probably be asking the police straight up, "How long will it take you to find this guy?"

Hal10k

May 23, 2011
In the words of Isaac Asimov, "Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent". Not picking a fight when there's a way around it that brings relatively little harm to yourself- be it running away or just giving up a small sum of money- is the wise decision.

PancakesSUCKTHEYDO

Mar 9, 2011
SsilverR said:
PancakesSUCKTHEYDO said:
For 10 bucks? Hell no.
We'd say "It's not the amount, it's the principle" if you worked hard for what's in your pocket .. don't let them have a penny

And risk wasting time (time=money.) by potintally being injured and having to go the hospital.

Now don't get me wrong, if he was out for a larger sum of money, or going after me or my own.

He is as good as dead.

alandavidson

Jun 21, 2010
You did the right thing. Ten quid isn't worth losing your life over.

To answer your question, I've never been mugged. But I have been attacked on the street. I've had quite a bit of training and reflexes just took over. I left the two guys who did it lying in the alley. But that was ONLY because I've had extensive training.

Most people say "I would". But you have no idea how you will react until the situation is thrust upon you. You can, and should, prepare, but there's nothing like the real thing. And you have to have your priorities set. I can get new bank accounts, I can buy a new phone, I can replace the money in my wallet.

I only get one shot at life.

Samurai Silhouette

Nov 16, 2009
You got robbed for pennies. You didn't punk out, you didn't lose honor, you were unlucky it just simply happened. Were it someone worth fighting for, and you could have done something, more power to you. But had you knocked him down and angered him, could have pulled a knife out of his pocket, or could have picked something off the ground and bludgeoned you with it. Think about it, what would you take with you if you went out to rob someone? You'd have a plan (he had one to startle you off your bike), an escape route, a weapon or the mindset to figure out how to use anything around you as a weapon. Odds were against you. Just try to remember their face if it happens again.

x-machina

Sep 14, 2010
I honestly think I would make the mistake of fighting back. And, I would probably be in pretty bad shape right now.

You kept your head in a tough situation, and walked away. Without a doubt it was the right call.

BiscuitTrouser

Elite Member
May 19, 2008
Dr Snakeman said:
I mean, it's one thing for the guy to demand money from you. It's quite another to back it up with physical violence. If he does swing at you, then you... reciprocate.
You need to get off a bike to put a hand in your pocket? I was sitting on it, feet touching the floor lightly.

krazykidd said:
If you are a man, having the robber confront you, especially without a visible weapon, look if he has anything in his hands, if not well, you basically get a free Shot, a well placed fist to the throat does alot of damage.Some one did try to rob me before , and thats what i did , punched him in the throat , kicked him to the ground , and ran like freaking forest gump.
Im sitting on a gorram bike with him standing so i cant turn it or move forward/backward. Getting off wasnt really an option, he just said to check my pockets. Hands in his jacket. I couldnt see them. I didnt wanna risk that shiz. Im a dude. I dont think I or anyone else realises until it happens how defenseless sitting on a bike with someone holding it still and not letting you off actually is. It is literally insanely compromising. At that point he held power if i was to fight him. With that advantage even with no weapon it wasnt worth it. He might have had something in his jacket. Pulling it out only if i resisted. Not that much of a stretch of the imagination.

Go outside, have your friend stand stopping the bike from moving but keeping both hands in a jacket. Just sit on it. Try and fight this person now or get off before he can grab you. Its freakin hard.

Also:

Only asking for money. Get off bike while he is in control of it to give money. Suddenly he has bike instead of money and is a damn sight happier. Bike was a really nice bike.

b1zarr0

Jul 4, 2010
I got robbed once by four nigg....erm ghetto males of African American decent. It when down in a fashion that involved me getting lightly assaulted and those fuckers taking everything of remote value; namely my phone and like 15 dollars in cash (thankfully I was left with my wallet, ID, and debit card with a good bit of money on it)...so I continued my late night walk to the nearest 7-11 to buy beer.

some dumb aftermath to this was I saw them fiddling with my phone in some abandoned building further on down the road AND I was able to flag down a police officer, file a report and even pointed to the officer that they were hanging out in said building...alas Officer Porkchop proceeded to speed the hell down the road past said building; at that point I officially lost faith in the concept of the police.

anywho to get this somewhat back on topic

I don't know the terrain in which the OP was riding his bike but; and not to sound e-tough but; if it was just some lunatic demanding my money I would have simply rode around him, or at least maneuvered in a manner which would not have caused me to come to a complete stop and force an altercation.

Or if somehow the terrain was not very maneuverable and an altercation was inevitable I; based on my last experience of the police doing fuck all; probably would have put up some fight...mainly because YAY shitty economy/job market in my area results in what little money I have being extremely valueable to the point where I'm going to at least attempt to knock the black off that fucker so long as a weapon doesn't come into play.

Thankfully I now live somewhere where; at very least I know the terrain on my route to places is extremely wide so I should be able to avoid altercations when it involves some lunatic demanding money