Fighting for Second Place: An Interview With Brad Wardell

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Competition is fine, but my problem lies within having games across 10 different accounts, I have ENOUGH passwords and usernames to remember. I like steam because it's easy, it's cheaper, has no subscription fee and does things better than other garbage digital services.

syndicated44

Apr 25, 2009
I buy everything retail. I will occasionally wander the Steam store and buy some things but I wouldnt do that with any other digital distribution. The only reason I use Steam is because I am forced to with a few games. Not that I have any real complaints nor am I real happy with it. I find it interesting neither of these people know anyone who buys things in stores. I truly enjoy wandering aisles and finding things I would not know about otherwise. The internet to me is great if you know what your looking for but there is just so much out there it is hard to find something at random simply because there is so much information on it there is no longer that box art pitch. Instead you have Wikis, reviews, forums and so forth that give you more information then I could ever need or want. Dont get me wrong I would be up shit crick without it but to just know whats out there a physical store is great.

Any digital distribution system is fine and dandy. In the end though I am hoping to not have to have 20 different stores downloaded onto my computer all working at the same time.

Sticky Fingers

Apr 11, 2010
As an international customer, Impulse is one of the worst services going. It's as if they go out of their way to be as useless as possible unless you are in North America. For example, they insist on charging in USD, but by default will show you a price in your local currency. Doesn't sound like a problem, until you realise that the rate they show you can be significantly lower than that used by your credit card/Paypal.

They then make the process of viewing the USD price far more annoying than it should be, by having to click a link that forces reloading of the store page (and you may have to do this several times for several products as their system of storing cookies isn't all that great either).

Then with pre-orders there have been cases where they insist on charging you the full amount TWICE - once when you pre-order, and once when the game is released. They say this is to ensure the funds are available, but if that's the case, there is no need to charge more than 1 dollar for the first transaction. There have also been cases where international customers have had to wait several days following the release of a pre-ordered game until they get it unlocked (while US based customers get it unlocked first). If this is due to regional release date differences, Impulse have never listed as such.

Further, there's some insane regional pricing mark ups on games for which none of the other Digital Distributors mark up in a similar fashion. The most notable are games published by Calypso. They are significantly more expensive on Impulse for international customers than from any of the other digital distributors. Impulse claim this is due to the publisher, but then fail to explain why they are the ONLY service to mark those games up in that fashion.

This is even more suspicious when they claim to be the second largest digital distributor (in terms of market share - they claim 10%), and yet the services they claim to be smaller than them, GamersGate and Direct2Drive do not have this same problem with that publisher. Surely smaller distributors would not be capable of negotiating better publishing deals than Impulse? Right? Yeah, that's what I thought.

In terms of service, regional availability of products, pricing and so forth, Impulse is always my last choice. I'll take GamersGate first, GOG, Steam and then Direct2Drive (sadly, Direct2Drive also suffer a large number of regional restrictions that make it difficult to purchase from them).

As for sales, I see no honest way that Impulse can claim to have started such "weekend" sales. As already mentioned, Steam (and even D2D) were offering frequent sales long before Impulse and even when I first started seriously monitoring Impulse around a year ago, they had infrequent weekend deals (it's only been in the last 8 months or so that they have become a weekly affair). And even then, the titles that Impulse consistently put on sale (and which are available worldwide) have either already had far better sales elsewhere or are of low quality.

If they seriously want "second" place in terms of market share, then need to wake up and realise that there is far more to digital distribution than just North America. Really, it's nigh on impossible for the rest of the world to take Impulse seriously.

JEBWrench

Apr 23, 2009
Grampy_bone said:
I remember the Windows-OS/2 battle. Nowadays Microsoft's only real competition in the PC space is Google. So here's hoping for a Google OS to keep MS on their toes.
Google is more aiming for the netbook market. They're not trying to compete with MS on the OS level.

On-topic!: (colobang?) Am I the only one who thought this interview read more like "Please, PLEASE use our service?"

Also, I'm confused. Wasn't there a stretch of time when Stardock was the devil incarnate? Or is that something else that sounds somewhat similar? They did some crazy malware garbage on your machine? I could've sworn that was Stardock.

Kanodin0

Mar 2, 2010
JEBWrench said:
Grampy_bone said:
I remember the Windows-OS/2 battle. Nowadays Microsoft's only real competition in the PC space is Google. So here's hoping for a Google OS to keep MS on their toes.
Google is more aiming for the netbook market. They're not trying to compete with MS on the OS level.

On-topic!: (colobang?) Am I the only one who thought this interview read more like "Please, PLEASE use our service?"

Also, I'm confused. Wasn't there a stretch of time when Stardock was the devil incarnate? Or is that something else that sounds somewhat similar? They did some crazy malware garbage on your machine? I could've sworn that was Stardock.
I believe you're thinking of starforce there, it was a DRM system that had all manner of problems and has been pretty widely boycotted.

Sticky Fingers

Apr 11, 2010
JEBWrench said:
Yes, I believe there was something along those lines due to how early versions of Window blinds operated. But that is no longer the case. These days, they're just a sub-par digital distribution service - at least for most.

rheianna

Mar 23, 2009
Stardock /= Starforce

References: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/StarForce , http://www.star-force.com/

Also I like Stardock and Impulse. I bought GalCiv II over the service and never had any trouble with it. I've had more trouble with Valve and TF2 than I've had with Impulse over the last 2 years.

MooseHowl

Dec 20, 2008
trineas said:
Steam just celebrated its seventh birthday, but they didn't start doing weekend sales until Impulse started doing them. And from what I can tell, they didn't do holiday sales until after Impulse was doing them.
Why does he keep saying this? It's just not true.

First Steam Weekend deal: 2007-11-09 UFO: Afterlight -- 50% off
Source: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=720271

First Steam Holiday Sale was on December 24th 2007
Source: http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/50525

Impulse was released on June 17th 2008
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impulse_%28content_delivery%29
Sticky Fingers said:
As for sales, I see no honest way that Impulse can claim to have started such "weekend" sales. As already mentioned, Steam (and even D2D) were offering frequent sales long before Impulse and even when I first started seriously monitoring Impulse around a year ago, they had infrequent weekend deals (it's only been in the last 8 months or so that they have become a weekly affair). And even then, the titles that Impulse consistently put on sale (and which are available worldwide) have either already had far better sales elsewhere or are of low quality.
Seems likely to me Wardell's including Stardock Central/Totalgaming.net when he's saying Impulse. SD central was Impulse's precursor, with a lot of the same features, and both were developed/developing around the same time as Steam. Both Steam and SD Central also had disastrous launches around 2003-2004 that ticked off a lot of gamers with their access issues. :D

They started signing up third-party games around the same time as Steam as well (slightly earlier, maybe by 6 months or so), in which case it's entirely possible that Wardell's right.

The distinction is probably obvious to him, but anyone unfamiliar with Stardock's history is probably getting confused, since Impulse did come in quite a bit later than Steam.

Infinatex

BLAM!Headshot?!
May 19, 2009
I much prefer to buy a copy of a new title from a real store. I like to have the box, manual and disc. In saying this, I do have a lot of games that I have bought of Steam - mainly one that are on sale. Why pay $99 for Borderlands at EB Games when it's on sale for $39 on Steam? Of course then you now have a 7GB file that needs to be downloaded, which with Australian internet can leave you waiting quite a long time before you can start playing your new game. I am lucky that I have very fast cable and can download these files quite quickly (4.5Mb per sec) but I have mates who are lucky to pull speeds of 150Kb per sec. Until internet speeds improve I can't see digital distribution taking over.

Warlockofaus

Nov 18, 2009
Steam is a better service than Impulse but if everything else is equal* I prefer to buy games on Impulse now - simply because I can download on one PC with Impulse while playing on a different PC with Steam. If both were on my Steam account I couldn't do that.

*This is quite rare - usually one or the other is better value.

JEBWrench

Apr 23, 2009
Kanodin0 said:
I believe you're thinking of starforce there, it was a DRM system that had all manner of problems and has been pretty widely boycotted.
Aha! That's the bunny. Thanks.

Krantos

Jun 30, 2009
DeadMG said:
In a sense, I don't want there to be competition, because I like being able to talk to any friend, in any popular game, at any time, or any of the dozen other features that having a very large collection on Steam offers. To draw a parallel given often in the article, Windows having a monopoly is beneficial for many people, because it's easy for developers to know WinAPI, it's easy for them to know DirectX, and there's no competition - so you don't have to write the same code again for Linux and Mac.
The problem with lack of competition is that whoever holds the monopoly can set what ever standards that they want. That includes higher prices, subscription costs, poor customer service, etc. Competition is always in the best interest of the consumer because it forces the companies to work for customers rather than just sitting back and knowing that consumers don't have anywhere else to go. To expand on your example: Microsoft's monopoly is the reason that Microsoft Office now costs hundreds of dollars rather than coming with the operating system like it used to.

There is a very good reason for America's Anti-trust and Anti-monopoly laws.

More Fun To Compute

Nov 18, 2008
I prefer services like gamers gate and direct to drive that let you download and install games normally without some fancy schmancy front end software. The best deal in terms of getting value for money is often boxed games but increasingly they are also loaded with things like steam, games for windows and drm that requires net connections. I suppose that I could be called a luddite when it comes to things like this, I would still rather have a CD than an itunes download any day. Knowing a bit about the history of luddism that wouldn't really bother me. I was probably buying download games online before most people who wub wub steam long time but I want a fair deal where I get to keep and use what I buy without too much inconvenience and faffing about.

Plurralbles

Jan 12, 2010
DOnt' worry stardock! I'll buy from you! Someday. When I have the money to buy games, period.

Island Dog

Feb 18, 2008
The distinction is probably obvious to him, but anyone unfamiliar with Stardock's history is probably getting confused, since Impulse did come in quite a bit later than Steam.
Stardock Central was essentially the first digital distribution method that was started way back in 2001, and to go back further in history Component Manager launched in 1999. And you are right that TotalGaming.net was also in the mix which began sales. It's nothing to argue over, but it's cool to know the history. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stardock_Central

Then with pre-orders there have been cases where they insist on charging you the full amount TWICE - once when you pre-order, and once when the game is released. They say this is to ensure the funds are available, but if that's the case, there is no need to charge more than 1 dollar for the first transaction.
Stardock isn't charging you twice, the first charge would be your bank putting the charge to verify funds or however they handle sales like this. This is completely up to the bank, and has nothing to do with billing.

If they seriously want "second" place in terms of market share, then need to wake up and realise that there is far more to digital distribution than just North America. Really, it's nigh on impossible for the rest of the world to take Impulse seriously.
Impulse doesn't control regional restrictions and such, that is in the developers/publishers hands. I can say with great certainty that we would love to sell to anybody, but unfortunately, it is not as cut and dry as it seems.

Bruce Edwards

Feb 17, 2010
I love the theory of digital distribution. And Impulse is, in my experience, a better solution than Steam.

However ... as an international customer (I live in New Zealand) I find it somewhat frustrating. As bad as Steams regional pricing is (US$89.99 for MW2? Really?) I find Impulses worse - none of their specials apply outside of North America.

I imagine there is a vast, untapped market out there - and the first digital distribution network to harness that will do very well. Especially since it's getting increasingly difficult to find retail stores in New Zealand and Australia that sell PC games.

Also: After getting BBC2, ME2 and DA:O I've noticed that EA is quickly ramping up their online games presence. Another year and I predict they will be making inroads into STEAM and Impulses territory.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
id rather not have more than one of these insidious DD programs on my computer. But the competition has been saving me money so Stardock bless you for being there. and thanks for your ideas about sales \o/

I've bought one game from impulse and its that DoTA game. and to be honest impulse's interface i don't like ._.

Ingix

Feb 23, 2010
Snotnarok said:
Competition is fine, but my problem lies within having games across 10 different accounts, I have ENOUGH passwords and usernames to remember. I like steam because it's easy, it's cheaper, has no subscription fee and does things better than other garbage digital services.
1) I'd recommend password safe for storing all your passwords in a single place, with just one master password to remember.

2) Impulse and GOG don't have subscription fees either.

3) If Steam was really just a digital *distribution* channel, you wouldn't need your password all the time you'd want to play a game. I load up the Impulse client *only* when I'm buying something there. I can check out their sales, new titles etc. with my browser, and the games play without *any* other software coming in my way.

To me people that complain about *too many account to keep track of* have been brainwashed to think that digital distribution always and without exception means the form of Steam's DRM where you need to be logged into a service to start/play your games. But Impluse and GOG show that this is simply not a correct.

Quick Ben

Oct 27, 2008
I think he makes some good points there, and I would buy just as many games from Impulse as I do from Steam if it wasn't for one thing: Impulse won't let me buy the games I want. I'm just presented with a "Not available in your region"-message. I think Impulse would have a lot more of the international market if they didn't have such restrictions, because they regularly out-price Steam. I do realise that such things are up to the publisher, but surely Stardock must be able to make them ease up on such restrictions...

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Ingix said:
Snotnarok said:
1) I'd recommend password safe for storing all your passwords in a single place, with just one master password to remember.

2) Impulse and GOG don't have subscription fees either.

3) If Steam was really just a digital *distribution* channel, you wouldn't need your password all the time you'd want to play a game. I load up the Impulse client *only* when I'm buying something there. I can check out their sales, new titles etc. with my browser, and the games play without *any* other software coming in my way.

To me people that complain about *too many account to keep track of* have been brainwashed to think that digital distribution always and without exception means the form of Steam's DRM where you need to be logged into a service to start/play your games. But Impluse and GOG show that this is simply not a correct.
Yes except you don't know me and when I say I have too many accounts to keep track that's not the evil alien that Valve has placed on my head to make me feel happy with steam, that's because I have a lot of passwords for my job (more than all my game subscriptions combined and tripled), passwords for my game accounts on PC, PS3, 360. So I really do have too many accounts all tied into a book that I keep in a safe already. You say it's free but then there's always the fine print, downloading games after an extended period of time can cost money with other platforms.

I don't care about the other groups because I found a product I liked, I'm not about to buy something on another platform because they say there's a monopoly going on. Do Cokeacola fans buy pepsi to help pepsi and the gaming economy? No, my friends are on steam anyway or have their games going through steam so we can join easily, I'm not about to complicate things because I want to help out everybody. Steam is a store, it's doing well because it's a good store. It's no different than a guy opening shop in town with a gamestop already there, you go check out the guys shop and he charges too much, so you go to gamestop because their prices are sane.