Fighting Games; Final Round, FIGHT!

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
Due to my strange compulsion to avoid online multiplayer at all costs, my fighting game experience is generally limited to games I can get friends to play with me, which sadly limits it to Ultra Street Fighter 4. I own a bunch of ArcSys games like BlazBlue, Guilty Gear and Persona 4 Arena, but getting my buddies to pick them up and give them a chance isn't working out so well.

Offworlder_v1legacy

Ya Old Mate
May 3, 2009
Til the day I die, Tekken Tag Tournament will always be my favourite. The first one, not the dupstep shit of the second one. Holy shit is that game good. Big cast of characters, tight controls, great levels, one the great soundtracks (seriously, only the best OSTs can get close to this one). Plus I love the tag feature, obviously it didn't invent it, but being able to play as two of my favorite characters instead on one is awesome.

Underrated genius for reference.

EMWISE94

Aug 22, 2013
I dabble in the fight games, in my youth I grew up on Tekken mostly, played 2-5 but kinda fell off the wagon and never got round to even touching 6 or TTT2, also at one point in said youth some friends introduced me to Smash Bros. which blew my freaking mind back then and mostly made me go "Who the hell are all these cool ass characters?" my mind at the time only knew Mario and Pokemon when it came to Nintendo so it was pretty neat. I dabbled with some Mortal Kombat here and there but nothing really major, played some MK 4 on N64 and a bit of Deception on PSP, but other than that only saw glimpses of the other titles. As for Street Fighter, yeah I had a copy of Super Turbo II on the SNES but never really played it enough for me to have any lasting memories of it now.

Flash forward to the present and I'm back in the fighting game saddle and now with the better understanding of how to actually fight (one little thing I always used to say to myself is that most fighting games teach you how to play, but not how to fight. that is they'll tell you how to do a Hadouken, but they wont tell you the usefulness of it as a move, and how it can affect spacing and combos). These days I try my hand at a bunch of games but here's the ones I frequent:

Ultra Street Fighter 4: I main Juri because she's awesome, though I do like switching between several characters that include Cody, Sakura, C. Viper and Poison.

Rising Thunder: Started off with Dauntless, currently maining Edge and practicing how to use Crow, but yeah its a fun game, would be more so if I could get smoother matches, not a lot of African players to bump into and the netcode still needs some tweaking to get on that smooth play.

Skullgirls: I wont lie I haven't touched it in a while but for the brief moments I do its pretty nice, I recently finished Robo-Fortune's story and might wanna go back to getting good with my Fukua-Cerebella team up.

Guilty Gear XX^C+R: I won't lie I mainly bought it to vote with my wallet and show Arcsys that there's demand for their games on PC, cause other than that the netcode is terrible, I hear BB Continuum Shift Extend has better code but never really been a BB fan, when it comes to presentation I feel it doesn't the same X factor that GG has.

I have Injustice, KoF XIII and MK 9 sitting in my Steam lib but those are mostly there cause I was getting all sorts of games and seeing what play style I like the most.
As for games I'm looking forward to:

Killer Instinct: Have had my eye on this game for a while, was never gonna shell out for an Xbone just to play it but I held on to the possibility that it'd come to PC, and it will be next year so there's that to look forward to.

Guilty Gear Xrd: If it ever crawls its way onto PC possibly after the numerous revisions its bound to get, then again I could be wrong about the revisions seeing as Revelator is the only one so far, but thats getting a full on arcade release as a stand alone title so I'm willing to bet that there's probably another version that's gonna be out after it.

Street Fighter V: Because why not, I mean its Street Fighter and so far when it comes to the PC fighting game scene its like the only game where you can always find people playing. Still holding out for Juri to get in, which will probably be later down the line, possibly in the first wave on DLC characters I'm hoping, in that case I'll just main Nash like I did in Alpha 3, or Karin if she gets in.

Them's Fighting Herds: I was following Mane 6's efforts throughout most of their journey with Fighting is Magic, and it sucked when the game got shot down, but its good to see them picking up the scraps and rebuilding it anew and it looking better than ever.

Tekken 7: I heard it was gonna come PC side too so there's me looking out for that, its been a while since I played a 3D fighting game and Tekken is a good way to get back in the saddle I feel, sure there's DoA 5 but I hear that shit's a stripped down version on the PC.

Mortal Kombat X: I know its already out so what I'm looking forward to is when they fix the PC version up, so far I still hear that the netkode's still janky here and there and while I know MK has one of the best presented story modes in a figthing game, I ain't gonna buy it just for that.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
EMWISE94 said:
Guilty Gear XX^C+R: I won't lie I mainly bought it to vote with my wallet and show Arcsys that there's demand for their games on PC, cause other than that the netcode is terrible, I hear BB Continuum Shift Extend has better code but never really been a BB fan, when it comes to presentation I feel it doesn't the same X factor that GG has.

It's less that the netcode is bad and more that the game was made for an era before fighting game netcodes existed so the input frame buffer is minuscule. BB on the other hand was made intending to have online play in it from the first second therefore they have 5 whole frames of input buffer in the game to accommodate for this. The netcode is otherwise the same, just, the game's much less forgiving towards the inherent input inconsistency that a netplay environment unavoidably contains. In simpler terms, it's a harder game so you have to be super precise with your inputs and it's harder to do that in online input delay situations.

Not all lag is visible slowdown. Just a couple frames of input delay suffice to ruin the more intricate things one does in a fighter when playing it at a high level.

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
Well, I had a relatively fun match in DoA 5 today - it was a ranking match and we went 2-2, but right at the end, we both derped out. Thankfully, I derped less and managed to win to rank up.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
My favorite series has been Arcana Heart since about 2008, and my favorite iteration was the arcade version of AH2. Don't get me wrong, I know 3 is better, gameplaywise, but I really miss the super portrait cutscenes when you activate Arcana Force.

Fiona/Tempestas ftw

Second-most major props to Melty Blood (though I haven't been able to play Actress Again, yet), Capcom vs. SNK 2 (very little more satisfying than maining Hibiki and finishing with <url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2ghZxB3oLY>this move, Dramatic KO), Soul Calibur 2 (still my favorite of the series), and even <url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5-lA9HRS_o>Fate/Unlimited Codes. I don't if that's more my love of fighting games or my love of Fate/Stay Night, though.

Also, I really need to get back into <url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2t3oVhFA4Gg>Ougon Musou Kyouku. Or maybe play Umineko first.

Harlemura said:
Shoutout to Dengeki Bunko: Fighting Climax, which I'm looking forward to solely for Durara's Shizuo and Toradora's Taiga.
WHY HAVE I NOT HEARD OF THIS BEFORE NOW.

Goddamn...first Arcana Heart 3, then Under Night-In Birth, now this? I really need to get a PS3. v_v

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
NeutralDrow said:
My favorite series has been Arcana Heart since about 2008, and my favorite iteration was the arcade version of AH2. Don't get me wrong, I know 3 is better, gameplaywise, but I really miss the super portrait cutscenes when you activate Arcana Force.

Fiona/Tempestas ftw

Second-most major props to Melty Blood (though I haven't been able to play Actress Again, yet), Capcom vs. SNK 2 (very little more satisfying than maining Hibiki and finishing with <url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2ghZxB3oLY>this move, Dramatic KO), Soul Calibur 2 (still my favorite of the series), and even <url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5-lA9HRS_o>Fate/Unlimited Codes. I don't if that's more my love of fighting games or my love of Fate/Stay Night, though.

Also, I really need to get back into <url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2t3oVhFA4Gg>Ougon Musou Kyouku. Or maybe play Umineko first.

Harlemura said:
Shoutout to Dengeki Bunko: Fighting Climax, which I'm looking forward to solely for Durara's Shizuo and Toradora's Taiga.
WHY HAVE I NOT HEARD OF THIS BEFORE NOW.

Goddamn...first Arcana Heart 3, then Under Night-In Birth, now this? I really need to get a PS3. v_v

There's also Nitroplus Blasters with chars from various visual novels like Saya no Uta and Fate stay night among others. Examu (arcana heart maker) is making it so Aino Heart is in as a guest too. Also Homura from Senran Kagura is another guest since the publisher who will bring it to consoles also is the SK publisher.

If you like Fate you'll appreciate Saber in this. She has a sword mode where it becomes invisible and her normal buttons do chip damage (and in this game chip kills). She also has this one falling crossup slash that always crosses up if spaced right, super dirty move lol.

Oh and if you have a jp copy of AH3 love max I'm up for some games since the online on that is pretty empty due to region locked online. My Kamui's sword thirsts for more blood.

EMWISE94

Aug 22, 2013
Dreiko said:
It's less that the netcode is bad and more that the game was made for an era before fighting game netcodes existed so the input frame buffer is minuscule. BB on the other hand was made intending to have online play in it from the first second therefore they have 5 whole frames of input buffer in the game to accommodate for this. The netcode is otherwise the same, just, the game's much less forgiving towards the inherent input inconsistency that a netplay environment unavoidably contains. In simpler terms, it's a harder game so you have to be super precise with your inputs and it's harder to do that in online input delay situations.

Not all lag is visible slowdown. Just a couple frames of input delay suffice to ruin the more intricate things one does in a fighter when playing it at a high level.
Interesting to know, I wonder if there was a possible technical issue as to why they couldn't upgrade the netcode, I mean if its possible to take a game that had no netcode and give it some, like 3rd Strike, then I'd think it's possible for them to upgrade it, again unless there's some limitation I'm not aware of.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
EMWISE94 said:
Dreiko said:

Interesting to know, I wonder if there was a possible technical issue as to why they couldn't upgrade the netcode, I mean if its possible to take a game that had no netcode and give it some, like 3rd Strike, then I'd think it's possible for them to upgrade it, again unless there's some limitation I'm not aware of.
It got the bestest netcode they had to give. The upgraded netcode (the netcode that was working fine in their other games at the time) just isn't good enough for that game.

Something like what's in 3S (GGPO) is owned by a third party so to use it you have to buy the license from them and it is actually very expensive to do so. Capcom is a huge company so they can do that but smaller nice ones can't afford to. Skullgirls did so but a big chunk of their funding was used towards it and that was their main game, not a smaller re-release which doesn't warrant the expense.

Lufia Erim

Mar 13, 2015
Dreiko said:
EMWISE94 said:
Dreiko said:

It got the bestest netcode they had to give. The upgraded netcode (the netcode that was working fine in their other games at the time) just isn't good enough for that game.

Something like what's in 3S (GGPO) is owned by a third party so to use it you have to buy the license from them and it is actually very expensive to do so. Capcom is a huge company so they can do that but smaller nice ones can't afford to. Skullgirls did so but a big chunk of their funding was used towards it and that was their main game, not a smaller re-release which doesn't warrant the expense.
Since you seem to be knowledgeable with these things i wanted to ask.

Would it be worth trying to get into BB now? Cronophantasma extend has been released on the ps4. But then there's the new BB coming out. Maybe i should just wait for that one? Would i just get my ass handed to me because it's been out so long?

Like i said i enjoy GGXrd and am pretty decent with it. Maybe the skill will transfer over. I'm not at all going in for the story just the fightung lol

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
Centralfiction won't be out for a year minimum if you're looking to buy the US version, it's not even out for the arcades yet (they're loctesting it currently). I think that's a good amount of time to get with BB and Xrd definitely has a lot of similar elements since BB was originally a spiritual successor to GG back when they didn't have the rights for it any more.

FillerDmon

Jun 6, 2014
EMWISE94 said:
Them's Fighting Herds: I was following Mane 6's efforts throughout most of their journey with Fighting is Magic, and it sucked when the game got shot down, but its good to see them picking up the scraps and rebuilding it anew and it looking better than ever.
WAIT WHAT?! WHEN THE HELL DID WE GET AN UPDATE FOR THIS?!

I've been trying to save up so that if they did a Kick Starter I could give them money!

Edit: OMG CROUD FUNDING SOON! I've got at least 500$ for them if that means possibly getting a character! Maybe more if I need to! ^_^

Back to the Op, I religiously play Smash Bros, I've been wanting to get into Skullgirlz, I used to play Dead or Alive before it got too pervy for my tastes (because just look at the trailer provided by the op), and I used to play Mahvel before it got too broken (because if you can't take your foe from 0-death in at least a TAC then you aren't good enough to even try).

Smash 4 Mains: Pikachu, Lucario, Jigglypuff (recently trying Game & Watch, wish to play Palutena)
Skullgirls ideals: Big Band, Peacock, Squiggly
Dead Or Alive Mains: Ryu, Hayate, Kasumi
Fighting is Magic Main*: Applejack
Fighting Herds Ideal Animal: Zebra, Bull, or Deer.

*during that brief time that people could play it which unfortunately made them stop updating as much and potentially got them into legal trouble*

PurplePonyArcade

Apr 9, 2015
I am very much a foaming-out-the-mouth fighting game fangirl with so much love for the genre I can't stand it. It would be very difficult to name all the fighting games I have played since I try to play as many as possible. My all time favourite fighting game is Vampire Savior or Darkstalkers 3 in some releases. My preferred modern fighting game as well as among my absolute most played is Skullgirls. Speaking of Skullgirls if anyone here wants to play me on Steam I am up for the challenge sometime.
I could go on forever about my love for fighting games, but that might be rude. Ive been to some tournaments, mostly Final Round, and hope to go to EVO one day. I am a very devote stick player due partially due to the arcade image appeal and because I like my hands having more freedom and less blisters. I try my hardest to welcome and help new people into fighting games and their community. Rather odd since otherwise I am quite the misanthrope. A pleasure to meet and good fighting folks.
Also if you don't mind please donate to Them's Fightin' Herds. :)

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
Also, I've loved the soundtracks for quite a few fighting games. The Smash Bros remixes of songs have always been nice, but I have to say I think my favorite fighting game song for all time is Helena's DoA2-4 theme;

PurplePonyArcade

Apr 9, 2015
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/them-s-fightin-herds#/ Please give your support if you can. There is still time! Thank you for the consideration and fight on everyone!

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
So, for fellow fighting game fans, we all knew Nine would be in eventually in the new Blazblue but finally we have her official trailer:

Since she's a magic user she doesn't have a drive, her D button uses magic. She has 3 elements of magic, fire water and wind, which she can stock in up to 3 stocks worth. The sequence and element grants different spells. So for example, fire/water water and water/fire/water would be a different spell. She has up to 20 permutations of these.

Lets be hype about one of the most requested char over multiple years finally being in the game.

Lufia Erim

Mar 13, 2015
Dreiko said:
So, for fellow fighting game fans, we all knew Nine would be in eventually in the new Blazblue but finally we have her official trailer:

Since she's a magic user she doesn't have a drive, her D button uses magic. She has 3 elements of magic, fire water and wind, which she can stock in up to 3 stocks worth. The sequence and element grants different spells. So for example, fire/water water and water/fire/water would be a different spell. She has up to 20 permutations of these.

Lets be hype about one of the most requested char over multiple years finally being in the game.
That looks so awsome. Too bad im complete ass at that game. Or id pick it up

Maximum Bert

Feb 3, 2013
Yeah really looking forward to Nine being in after Jubei she is the character I wanted the most. Shame it is only in Japanese arcades for a fair few months at least (and I am no longer there) Dissidia is also coming out on the 26th I think which is one I am really looking forward to but again wont be able to play.

On another note Blade Arcus Ex is out soon (in Japan for PS3/PS4) and I got to play it in arcades where it has been out a while. I played as the girl Pairon (2nd character in trailer) and she was really fun. The game initially did not impress me with its aesthetics and animations but damn did it feel good to play.I am actually really looking forward to the game now.

Heres a trailer anyway. Also Nitroplus Blasterz Infinite Heroines was pretty nice had a bash with Saya and Muramasa. There is also Koihime Enbu out early next year which was pretty fun but I did not play that as much (seems very counter hit heavy i.e hardly any combos just footsies and spacing until you get a counterhit then you can wreck their shit) and ofc GG Revelator will hopefully not be far away. I had great fun playing Jack O but not so much with Jam and am not bothered about Johnny so did not try him but really wanna try Dizzy. There are some really (hopefully) quality Fighters coming out end of this year and throughout next both in arcades and for consoles.

While I was over there I picked up a physical copy of Vampire Saviour for PS3 and a fighter I had never heard of called Phantom Breaker Extra also for PS3. Its pretty barebones but the mechanics are very interesting and pretty different from the usual fare tbh definitely a rough diamond shame it will likely never get refined further and get the attention it deserves. Its not likely worth picking up for most people but if you want a solid fighter that offers immediacy and pretty in depth stuff its worth a look.

Danny Dowling

May 9, 2014
Can we fix the op, please? Not only is DoA in entirely the wrong category, but Marvel 3 is still one of the 3 most played games right now (SF4, MvC3, Smash). And Blazblue is also far more popular than DoA, and Guilty Gear Xrd more popular again!

Obviously you aren't FGC, and I appreciate that, but these predictions are so jaded it's crazy!

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
It's so biased from the speaker's perspective that I don't even pay it any heed honestly! :p

When I can tell that someone hasn't even gone to many tourneys, never mind won any, I find arguing finer minutia to be besides the point and counter-productive.

Lufia Erim said:
Dreiko said:

That looks so awsome. Too bad im complete ass at that game. Or id pick it up
Being ass is normal unless you've spent hundreds of hours practicing. Don't let that dissuade you. Most people are ass at it. Just play and have fun and eventually if you end up having enough fun you'll become less ass in time.