File-sharing Remains Legal In Switzerland

Awexsome

Were it so easy
Mar 25, 2009
So TL;DR is Piracy wins? Way to go Switzerland.

Next time I hand in a homework assignment that I can't find the answer to I'll tell the teacher after trying it a few times that nothing works and the problem is unsolvable.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Creamygoodness said:
LOL! the Swiss told Lars Ulrich to go F!@k himself!
How will he afford the solid gold mini bar now?

America's idea of an unbiased study is anything that makes pirates seem like professional puppy kickers.

Europe, overall, does have better educated citizens than America. Maybe if their schooling were a little better, so many people wouldn't be so quick to fall for their "unbiased" studies.

Brawndo

Jun 29, 2010
I know that the Escapist is not a Swiss site... but does this mean the Escapist will change its forum policies on piracy, or will the mods still be dishing out unfettered punishment?

JesterRaiin

Apr 14, 2009
Earnest Cavalli said:
Following a comprehensive study, the Swiss government has ruled that sharing games, music and movies is actually beneficial to copyright holders.
Good news everyone : i want to live on this planet more !

Aeshi said:
Scypemonk said:
Whatever ones views is on piracy, you have to admit, it's impossible to fight it.
If "We haven't been able to stop/do [X] thus far therefor it is clearly impossible to defeat/do." was a valid argument, I think the Medical, Law Enforcement, Scientific and Internet Security Departments/Industries would have packed their bags long ago.

Didn't the Lightbulb have around 200 failed designs before they came up with the right one? Maybe they should have given up around failure 2-3?
Lightbulbs aren't people. Pirates are.
"Piracy is wrong" movement is not doing its job right. It's impossible to change people by threatening them or punishing. It's as simple as that.

Spaec

Oct 23, 2009
WOW! In these SOPA-and-similar-ridden days I really didn't think governments were capable of something like this. I love you, Swiss government and need to live in your country, like... yesterday.

Jinx_Dragon

Jan 19, 2009
Irridium said:
Oh good, now pirates will be throwing this around to justify them not paying for content that they have no right to use/play/watch/ect.. Great.

Not trying to defend the big publishers/corporations. Hell no. But it's kind of hard to side with the person who pirates stuff so he/she doesn't have to pay for it.
Did you even read the study in question.

They concluded that pirates purchase more legitimate copy of games in general then non-pirates do, period. This means the pirate community controls a larger chunk of the legitimate game users then non-pirates. Yet you still argue that these companies are losing money because of us?

We pirates actually purchase more games, on average, then non-pirates! This means the 'pirate demo effect' is something we really have to consider as a legitimate economical driving force. Without the means to sample a product before we purchase it, humans are less likely to purchase said product unless you create a situation where. Unless you are producing bad products, this sampling should not be considered a threat to your product at all.

This is slightly off topic but I can't figure where to put this:

It is my personal belief, but I don't think I am wrong here, that one of the biggest reasons game companies support SOPA is because it would kill 'Let's Play' reviews. These reviews are only protected by the fair use act, which SOPA butchers, and run by the average Joe so they wouldn't be able to afford the court fees that would come fighting a SOPA battle. Effectively, this piece of legislation would remove the sole process that allows us to review a bad game before we decide not to spend money on it.

I can't help but shake the feeling they want to get rid of anything that might prevent us from purchasing a bad game prior to actually giving them real money.

Jinx_Dragon

Jan 19, 2009
JesterRaiin said:
Lightbulbs aren't people. Pirates are.
"Piracy is wrong" movement is not doing its job right. It's impossible to change people by threatening them or punishing. It's as simple as that.
Gabe has stated it best and I can't quote so I will paraphrase:
The best way to stop piracy is to produce high quality goods for a fair price.

It is very easy to beat pirates when it comes to quality. Pirates are ripping off your product which means they can't top your quality. In doing so introducing massive amounts of bugs and lower quality. DRM simply reduces quality, you are just shooting yourself in the foot.

Digital downloads, making it easier to download the legitimate copy then find and download a pirate, ensures that you do not have worry about the supply problems. Making it so we do not to have to get off our fat arses and travel anywhere to get a physical copy always helps. That is easily done, but please don't try and include DRM with it.

The only real question is how much do you over-price something before the customers come to the conclusion those bugs are less frustrating then the loss of money compared to the game cost?

Good products, lower costs and making them downloadable to start with = win over pirates!

JesterRaiin

Apr 14, 2009
Jinx_Dragon said:
Good products, lower costs and making them downloadable to start with = win over pirates!
Gaben knows what he is doing.

I still wait for a new platform that will allow to download any game from its store for a monthly fee.
You pay some $$$, you download whatever you are in mood to play - big hits, indie games and simply play them without any DRM, without threats and remorse. Gaming channel - it's simple at that.

I am strongly convinced that this whole "omg stop the piracy" war is a cover for some shady corporations and organizations to change international laws and gain control over people and their data. It's the war for freedom of Internet, nothing else.

Jinx_Dragon

Jan 19, 2009
It isn't sinister gesture, it is human nature. People are slow to change when they encounter something new and problems are no different to that. Encounter a problem, go full steam ahead because what has worked in the past has to work in the future. Of course, the real world does not work that way.

The people running most of the groups for things like SOPA and anti-piracy are just old thinkers that are not willing to look at the problem differently. If you ask me, the core of their problem is the fact we no longer need their distribution and marketing networks to function. The internet has provided a faster way to distribute products and the ultimate in the 'tongue' version of marketing... just ask ocean marketing how powerful our internet is.

However, the developers have invested a great deal of money into the marketing and distribution networks. Now they need to justify this decision and do so by denying their is a problem while focusing on what they have done all along... marketing and distribution. This clearly isn't working so instead of taking a closer look at the core of the problem, they look for 'leaches' to blame.

Used sales, bad reviews, piracy, other gaming companies undermin... wait, no that company was refusing to pay another, don't worry. You get the idea, any set back is because of something another person had to have done and not because they need to justify why they are staying full steam ahead when it clearly isn't working.

Over-haul the gaming industry by taking a look at the requirement for marketing over virtual space and viral campaigns. Pass the savings onto the consumers. Look at the digital distribution networks and consider working with companies already well established at supplying products. They can get it into many hands cheaply, offer a store front that will be advertised internally and might even throw in other incentives like hats in their games. Nothing drives up sales like virtual goodies that also cost you nothing to manufacture.

As for your idea, it is great but sadly it would involve these older thinkers too much. They would clearly demand a royalty for every sale based on some bizarre and inflated numbers. Make it too pricy to get all the big names involved, which will cause it to fail. This is why rental companies still use hard copies, which the developers hate so much by the way.

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
Aeshi said:
Scypemonk said:
Whatever ones views is on piracy, you have to admit, it's impossible to fight it.
If "We haven't been able to stop/do [X] thus far therefor it is clearly impossible to defeat/do." was a valid argument, I think the Medical, Law Enforcement, Scientific and Internet Security Departments/Industries would have packed their bags long ago.

Didn't the Lightbulb have around 200 failed designs before they came up with the right one? Maybe they should have given up around failure 2-3?
Funny you should mention lightbulbs, considering that Tesla invented them and Edison abused the copyright system to get away with all the honor(and money) and was the biggest example of the flaws of the copyright system until Walt Disney came along and changed it from "blatantly unfair in favour of rule-lawyers" to "blatantly unfair in favour of rule-lawyers and you can also throw money the the government to have it made even worse"