Film Study

FranicalFrazical

May 5, 2008
My thanks to those who have veiwed this post, currently at my college I have to create a movie magazine to pass the course.... one part is to have a "vote" as it were to find out the best movie/actor/actress/scene and director ever *cough* Martin Scorsese....

So if you will...without any arguing please "vote" for the above 5 categories (those who argue/question peoples choices will be disqualified)

EDIT: Very well, due to the amount of complaints I have recieved due to the disallowment of The Godfather , my decision is over turned as allow I regret this next sentence, PotC is also available to vote for.... also due to the fact the amount of varied films that have been chosen I actually doubt anyone would of thought of the godfather....If you wish to change your choices do it now....

I have also decided to disqualify myself as I was acting almost Facist and I apologise yet again!

tendo82

Uncanny Valley Cave Dweller
Nov 30, 2007
Aguirre the Wrath of God/ Marlon Brando/ Debra Winger/ Cafe Scene in Band of Outsiders/ Andre Tarkovsky

Sorry but The Godfather and The Godfather II are both very important movies. Sure, they've been spoofed a million times, but they heralded in the era of 70's realism and left an indelible mark on the cultural landscape that is both difficult and foolish to ignore.

cleverlymadeup

Mar 7, 2008
sorry to say but deniro sux, it's more the director and script not him as an actor, he's been in way too many bombs and is horrible in them, where as other actors have been in good in bad movies

for me i don't have one, there's honestly too many to pick that can pull off a good roll or you look at them and go "omg is that so and so" because don't realize it's them

and yeah eliminating things is unscientific and shows bias, the very thing you're trying to not show

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
Only first choices? Ah well...

Film: Fight Club

Actor: Cary Grant

Actress: Vanessa Redgrave

Scene: Tobey Maguire's reciting the list of celebrity suicides in Wonder Boys. I mean, look at this dialogue:
Hannah Green: James will know about George Sanders.
James Leer: George Sanders?
Hannah Green: Mr. Crabtree was saying how George Sanders killed himself, only he couldn't remember how.
James Leer: Pills. April 25, 1972, in a Costa Brava hotel room.
Terry Crabtree: How comprehensive of you.
Hannah Green: James is amazing. He knows all the movie suicides. Go ahead, James. Tell him.
James Leer: There are so many.
Hannah Green: Well, just a few. The big ones.
James Leer: Pier Angeli, 1971 or '72, also pills. Donald "Red" Barry, shot himself in 1980. Charles Boyer, 1978, pills again. Charles Butterworth, 1946, I think. In a car. Supposedly, it was an accident, but, you know, he was distraught. Dorothy Dandridge, pills, 1965. Albert Dekker, 1968. He hung himself. He wrote his suicide note in lipstick on his stomach. William Inge, carbon monoxide, 1973. Carole Landis, pills again. I forget when. George Reeves, "Superman" on TV, shot himself. Jean Seberg, pills, of course, 1979. Everett Sloane - he was good - pills. Margaret Sullivan, pills. Lupe Velez, a lot of pills. Gig Young, he shot himself and his wife in 1978. There are tons more.
Hannah Green: I haven't heard of half of them.
Terry Crabtree: You did them alphabetically.
James Leer: It's just how my brain works, I guess.
Director: Hayao Miyazaki

Johnnyweird

May 7, 2008
Film: One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest

Actor: Lawrence Olivier

Actress: Ingrid Bergman

Scene: Staircase Scene, from Battleship Potemkin.

Director: Stanley Kubrick

PurpleRain

Dec 2, 2007
Firstly, I'm chocked that you think the Godfather sucked. Maybe the stroy didn't appeal to you but the movie was amazing (looking at it as a film student). The lighting and cinematography was sheer brilliance (escpecially on Brando/ eyes weren't lit giving him a more dark secret appeal), the script was great and I for one got into the charcaters. I agree with the PotC. The first one was fun and adventurous, the rest just lost it.

My list:

Film: It's a toss up between Lord The Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring or Fight Club. LotR: FotR was completely batshit insane the way it was assembled.
(Film school stuff. Skip if you don't care)
Film ratios are to determine how much film stock you might need before a shoot. Eg, 2:1 is 120min of film shot but only 60mins of film used in the final cut. Most feature movies have a ratio of 10/15:1. LotR: FotR had (get this) 150:1. For ever minute of the film they shot another 150 minutes!

(End of crappy film school)

Failing that, Fight Club is a perfect film. Perfectly shot, directed, acted, edited, scripted.

Actor: Robert Duvall for his roles in The Godfather, The Apostle and Apocalypse Now. "I love the smell of Napalm in the morning"

Actress: Carmen Electra... I kid, I kid! The best Actress is the Australian girl, Lisa McCune.

Scene: John Carpenter's The Thing, the blood test scene. Never before did I jump and shit myself.

Director: Stanley Kubrick all the way!

cleverlymadeup said:
sorry to say but deniro sux, it's more the director and script not him as an actor, he's been in way too many bombs and is horrible in them, where as other actors have been in good in bad movies
Watch Godfather 2, Raging Bull and Taxi Driver and that'll change your mind about him.

elffymon

Apr 11, 2008
film:the shawshank redemption Actor: brad pit actress: liv tyler scene: the movie 'brain dead' by peter jackson when the main guy is killing the 'zombies' with a lawn mower ^____^. director:.. peter jackson or kubrick.

Fire Daemon

Quoth the Daemon
Dec 18, 2007
Film: Bloodrayne, just kidding! I think I will go with Smokin Aces because of the Gut wrenching ending or The Fellowship of the Ring because of the Way it still impreses me. However I think no one can say they have a fvourite movie.

Actor: James Earl Jones for the Voice of Darth vader, if voices can't be allowed I will say Sean Bean

Actress: Cate Blanchett

Scene: Really hard to say. The one that is coming to mind at the moment is the End of Smokin Aces. Still I am pretty sure that many more could make this selective list of mine.

Director: For pulling off The Lord of The Rings I see no other answer but Peter Jackson. Even if you didn't like the films you can't say that making a Lord of The Rings movie good is a hard job to do.

GrimRox

Feb 22, 2008
Movie - Star Wars Episode 6 - Return of the Jedi
Actor - I'm going with Robert Carlyle. I like him.
Actress - Uma Thurman
Scene - I'm going to agree with an earlier poster and select the blood test scene from The Thing, that was intense!
Director - Kevin Smith, I love Clerks.

DeVoyd

May 7, 2008
I have a hard time with best film.

Actor: Gary Oldman
Actress: Cate Blanchett
Scene: have trouble with this as well.
Director: Ridley Scott

cleverlymadeup

Mar 7, 2008
PurpleRain said:
cleverlymadeup said:
Watch Godfather 2, Raging Bull and Taxi Driver and that'll change your mind about him.
that's the thing he CAN be a good actor but there's been a few movies he's been HORRIBLE in

so that's why i kinda have this debate about him. he's done some great movies and had some great roles but he's also had way more bad roles than good.

like take pacino as a comparisson, even if the movie is bad (devil's advocate) he's brilliant in the movie and usually pulls gives it a bit of class. i'd say brando was in there too but he had this bad habit of "calling it in" too many times and also being a bit of a prima donna

FranicalFrazical

May 5, 2008
Sorry once again... voice acting counts

Another categories I forgot to add are Heroes, Villans and Monsters

Monsters/Creature/Thing are the things that come to earth for what ever reason but isn't human, could even be from earth like Frankenstein

My votes are disqualified

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
hmmmm...this is not set in stone & subject to change: but my list as Id give it without putting in too much thought:

Film: A Scanner Darkly
Actor: Jack Nicholson
Actress: hmmm...I honestly cant thinkg of a favourite actress :-(
Scene: Im gonna say the corridor fight scene in Oldboy
Director: urm...I dont have one. One day its Fritz Lang, the next its Richard Linklater the next its someone else. Depends on what movie genres im thinking about
Monsters: Wheelers (from return to Oz)
Villain: Nurse Ratched too (the only villan ive ever felt genuine hatred for in a movie)
Hero: Nameless (from the film Hero)