FiM Season 5+ ideas.

themistermanguy

Nov 22, 2013
Country
United States
My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic just finnished its 4th season last week. Since season 5 will soon be upon us, I think this gives us plenty of opprotunity to to come up with a wishlist of ideas and speculations for next season and beyond.

Give the season an overarching villan - I think that since season 4 had an overarching plot for the first time, I think now is a good time to give us a season long villain. A looming threat reigning over Equestria, and every few episodes, one, or all of the mane 6 fight against it, either physically, or verbally.

Flesh out Fluttershy, and Rainbow Dash's backstories more - We know that Rainbow and Flutters went to flight school together, but we don't much else about their backstory or parents. A random, no name pony is the closest we've seen to a family member from Rainbow Dash, we've seen nothing from Fluttershy. There's got to be something deeper, and more tragic about their past that drives their quirks and motivations. Keep in mind, FiM is still a kids show, so they can't go too far, but they can certainly take risks.

Tell us what happened to AJ's parents - There is some debate as to what is ok to show in a kids cartoon, and not just hiding adult stuff behind layers of puns, metaphors, and symoilism, I mean show it in all glory. Some time or another, the writers need to explain what happened to Applejack's Ma & Pa. Some say MLP can't do it as it's primary target audience is 2-11 year olds. To which I'd say, you'd be suprised as to what you can do in children's programing. Go watch the Hey Arnold! episodes Pigeon Man and Helga on the Couch those episode deal with dysfunctional families, alcoholism, neglectful parents, and even attempted scuicide. I'm not saying FiM needs to go as far as scuicide, but take some risk and tackle the subject of death and how it works in Equestria.

Have an episode about Twilight's parents - Twilight is one of the few ponies of the mane 6 whose parents we know exist. I'd like some screen time for them other than brief cameos. Like have an episode where Twilight's parents come to Ponyville for a visit and start embarassing Twilight. The lesson can be that sometimes it's OK to embrace embarassment, especially from your parents.

Have a Rainbow vs. Pinkie prank war - Testing, Testing, 1,2,3 established that Rainbow rivals Pinkie in terms of pranks. So lets put that theory to the test, have an episode where the two go all out and try to out prank eachother. They can even hire Derek Drymon to write it since looking at his work on SpongeBob, he's the master of visual gags.

I want to see a CMC timeskip subplot - I'd like to see what The CMC are like in the future. Sweetie Belle could be a lead singer of an Equestrian equivelant to a collage rock band. Scootaloo could work at a repair shop, and Apple Bloom can be some sort of artist. But to do this.....

The CMC need to get their cutie marks - This needs to happen soon, and judging The CMC's behavior from season 4, it may eventually happen soon. I guess the lesson could be, friendships last long even after the goal that created it has been accomplished.

Have a secret agent Pinkie episode - Say Pinkie Pie is recruted by a top secret spy organization to Monitor Twilight. Pinkie, being as naieve as she is, agrees, and is now [insert numerical code name here]. This is a perfect opprotunity for some clever James Bond references.

We need a courtroom episode - No, not a murder mystery (remember, kids show). But an episode involving what the Equestrian court system is like. Twilight can be a lawer, and spout clever Pheonix Wright refereces. Hell, throw in some Law and Order parodies as well.

Give Vynl Scratch a more promonant role - I'd like to see what Vynl Scratch is like as an actual character, and not just a background pony. If Derpy can get a few, Scratch should as well.

Have a comedic, disturbing episode - Let's say Twilight wakes up to a deserted Ponyville with no memory of what happened prior, and she and Pinkie Pie are the only ones left in town. Pinkie thinks everyone is planning a supprise party for her, despite everypony being gone for a month. Twilight, suffering from amnesia, questions Pinkie's supprise party theory and starts looking for Ponyville's citizens. This may sound like a violent fanfic, but as long as they keep it kid friendly, this can give a disturbiing take on a seemingly innocent show.

Have 2 of the mane 6 get into a fight - Not a verbal fight though, an actual physical fight. This can teach kids that Friendships don't always have happy moments.

A deeper look into Fluttershy's personality - We know Fluttershy to be a kind, and timid pegasas with social anxiety. But as the show progressed, she has multiple times, shown an alternate side of her, one who's more agressive, sly, and manipulative. This can lead to her having sudden outbursts of rage (even having an entire episode dealing about it). But what if for those moments, that wasn't normal Fluttershy talking, but a manifestation of her deepest thoughts, goals, feelings, and memories. What if she has some deep, alternate persona that unleashes uncontrollably when anything to do with her animals or friends are at stake, or when things don't go her way (though there are a few moments where she can seem to control it).

I think it's time we have an episode that gives us a real look into Fluttershy's phsyche (Putting your Hoof down doesn't count). Like Twilight and Spike travel into her diary, or journal and see call backs to previous Flutterrage moments. And, an insightful look into her past, and family, why she has these mood swings, and how she developed her shy nature. You may think it would be too deep for a kids show, but I feel its disrespectful to just throw that around like it's nothing. I feel kids can handle darker, more complex moments if you don't go too far.

An actual reason for Rainbow joining The Wonderbolts - People don't just join the Military because they think they're cool, they have an actual reason for joining. Same with The Wonderbolts, Rainbow isn't trying to join The Wonderbolts because she thinks their awesome, she has to have a deeper motivation for doing so. Like with Fluttershy, this would give us a better look into Rainbow's phsyche, why she wants to be the best flyer possible, and why she demands attention.

Give us a Celestia & Luna only episode - If there are any characters in the show that need more development, its these two, how about showing us what they do when not spouting exposition, or information we already know. What are there strengths and weakness?, and how do they work together? It would give me more respect from them, and make them more compelling.

Conclude the season with a 2-hour TV movie - Many succesful cartoons have had a made-for-TV movie at one point. Now would be a perfect chance for FiM to have one. Go all out, make it as epic as you want, and teach a moral only a movie can teach.

So those are some of my ideas so far, your ideas?

Liquidprid3

Jan 24, 2014
I'll be okay if Iget more horses that isn't as bad as season 3. That's really all. I'm not a writer, so I don't know what Ideas don't and will work. My guess is the CMC will never get their cutie marks, unless maybe in the last episode or something. I hope the series ends soon, and doesn't turn into a Simpsons. Season 5 is a good season to end it on.

Euryalus

Jun 30, 2012
I want an episode where Twilight's friends are slowly murdered one by one by an unknown killer. She has to find out who's doing it "And then there were none" style.

At the end she finds out that it was her the whole time, then wakes up from the dream she was having learning that everyone has a darker side to them that needs to be controlled.

[sub][sub]Or you know, another one with applejack or something[/sub][/sub]

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
Ever since that one episode where AJ became overprotective of her sister, I kinda did wonder if the writers would, or should I say, CAN, write an episode explaining what happened to their parents. It's a pretty heavy issue for a kid's show. Especially one that's aimed towards a younger audience than say, Hey Arnold.

themistermanguy

Nov 22, 2013
Country
United States
scorptatious said:
Ever since that one episode where AJ became overprotective of her sister, I kinda did wonder if the writers would, or should I say, CAN, write an episode explaining what happened to their parents. It's a pretty heavy issue for a kid's show. Especially one that's aimed towards a younger audience than say, Hey Arnold.
Actually, FiM was always primarily aimed at kids 2-11. The same audience as many of Nickelodeon's old Nicktoons, and the same target audience as many old Disney Afternoon/OSM shows. We have to remember that FiM is NOT a pre-school show, Lauren wanted to make it the same way The Powerpuff Girls was made. FiM is capable of showing it's darker side, and has done so several times. So they can tackle how death works in Equestria provided they're careful on how they approach it.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I do wonder since Twilight got her own castle, would she get guards to go along with it (like an audition episode)? I mean sure an Alicorn is pretty much OP but that doesn't stop the other princesses getting guards too. If she does get a guard or two, anyone wanna bet Flash Sentry will be transfered to her kingdom?

Also an episode on how the tree of harmony came be to (somthing I was expecting to see at the season 4 final episode).

Lastly, yeah the CMC finally get their cutie mark will only ever happened once the series is finished forever since their cutie mark is kind of like a life long mystery that will only get shown right at the end.

Veylon

Aug 15, 2008
I'd like to see Twilight doing some Princess stuff and growing into the role and overcoming her terror of screwing everything up. Though this arc appears to have been skipped entirely. There's a whole lot of material here, I hope they didn't decide to skip it all.

scorptatious said:
This would seem to tie together fairly well. Applejack surely knows and understand what happened to their parents, but Applebloom might not. So the latter can ask the former about it. There could be - I don't know - a bring your parents to school thing or whatever that prompts her to pop the question and AJ could spend a good chunk of the episode being evasive about it in fear that her younger sister couldn't handle the truth.

Scarim Coral said:
Lastly, yeah the CMC finally get their cutie mark will only ever happened once the series is finished forever since their cutie mark is kind of like a life long mystery that will only get shown right at the end.
I don't know. Getting their cutie marks is kind of like just the beginning. Once they get them, then they've gotta get started on getting good at them. You could have a few episodes where, once they've been marked, they go get apprenticed to whoever already does something like what they do.

I kind of like the idea of ponies jumping on their career right out of grade school, but that's just me. I understand others might take a dim view of what amounts to child labor.

thejboy88

Aug 29, 2010
As far as I'm concerned, season 4 already gave me everything I wanted. Celestia and Luna's backstory fleshed out? Check. Every member of the main cast (including the CMC and Spike) given an episode of their own? Check. Applejack not ignored like most seasons? Check. Rainbow's faith in the Wonderbolts shaken because of the latter's shady behaviour? Check. Main six's element virtues placed in a negative light? Check.

There's nothing left that the upcoming fifth season can give me that I don't already have at this point. Except maybe giving one of the main six a long-term romance.

themistermanguy

Nov 22, 2013
Country
United States
thejboy88 said:
As far as I'm concerned, season 4 already gave me everything I wanted. Celestia and Luna's backstory fleshed out? Check. Every member of the main cast (including the CMC and Spike) given an episode of their own? Check. Applejack not ignored like most seasons? Check. Rainbow's faith in the Wonderbolts shaken because of the latter's shady behaviour? Check. Main six's element virtues placed in a negative light? Check.

There's nothing left that the upcoming fifth season can give me that I don't already have at this point. Except maybe giving one of the main six a long-term romance.
I still think there's more to be explored with Equestria, the show, and the characters. We still haven't seen some of the other locations in Equestria. We still don't know of Rainbow and Fluttershy's pasts outside flight school, or Rainbow's real reasons for wanting to join the Wonderbolts (and no "because she thinks they're cool" is not an excuse). We still don't know how death works in Equestria (though, this will be tough considering this is a kids show), or what their court system is like. I think the show still has more life left in it, so this gives the writers a chance to answer these questions.

Orks da best

Oct 12, 2011
One thing I would like to see is a two parter, or longer in which twilight gets corrupted by the dark magic and the other main 6 and Spike have to save the inner Twilight. We have seen only hints and tastes of dark magic so far, but we do know that it can control someone as seen when Rarity reads that book. And would do something that I 'am thinking is a problem for the 2 parters there focus on Twilight while everyone else becomes a supporting character. I also think it would be a really good episode in it's own right.

As for other ideas I think the other people can covered it better than me.

thejboy88

Aug 29, 2010
TheMisterManGuy said:
thejboy88 said:

I still think there's more to be explored with Equestria, the show, and the characters. We still haven't seen some of the other locations in Equestria. We still don't know of Rainbow and Fluttershy's pasts outside flight school, or Rainbow's real reasons for wanting to join the Wonderbolts (and no "because she thinks they're cool" is not an excuse). We still don't know how death works in Equestria (though, this will be tough considering this is a kids show), or what their court system is like. I think the show still has more life left in it, so this gives the writers a chance to answer these questions.
If I recall right, there was a brief shot during "Hearts and Hooves Day" which showed a funeral of some sort. That could mean that death works in pretty much the same way for ponies as it does for us.

We even get some semblance of an afterlife. With Tartarus, we have some equivalent of Hell for evil people (like Tirek) to g when they die. As for their equivalent of Heaven, I suppose that plane where Twilight ascended into an alicorn might count.

Dragonpit

Nov 10, 2010
Here's an idea: flesh out the other three alicorns! Yes, we have a lot of history, but we know next to nothing of Celestia, personality-wise, and while Luna is more fleshed out in that regard, we still know very little of her. On top of that, Cadence doesn't have much of a personality, period, only showing some in her back story with Shining Plotho-I mean, Armor in the comics (which is canon, by the way). Essentially, give as a day-in-the-life episode featuring these three. Actually, give each of them such an episode of their own. This is a very character-driven show, so there's no reason why they shouldn't do this.

Idea #2: Flash Sentry. Hear me out before you pass judgment: The pony Flash is a different character from the human Flash (one is a guitarist in a band, the other is part of the castle guard. Two VERY different lifestyles with VERY different experiences; this makes them different in relevant ways), so I would like to see more interaction between pony Flash and Twilight and actually establish a POSITIVE relationship. The romance angle with human Flash was a terrible idea, in so many ways. Pony Flash, not so much.

Idea #3: I still don't honestly feel that Twilight is even remotely close to being Celestia's equal. Yes, Twi had to learn to handle the magic of three alicorns besides herself AND she now has her own castle, but what does any of that really mean? For me, that all only means that Twilight has some knowledge of the others' abilities and that she has had a change in real estate. In short, none of that even matters. However, if there is anything that'll cement Twilight being equal to her mentor in my mind, it'll be Twilight teaching CELESTIA a lesson of her own. And why not? Not only would it give Celestia herself some much needed development, it would literally prove her worth as Twilight's mentor. After all, the best mentors are the ones who learn from their students. And please, no time travel shenanigans here. It's been done and besides, it can become convoluted and will probably come off as really lazy for something like this. I would like a really organic learning experience here, in the present day.

themistermanguy

Nov 22, 2013
Country
United States
thejboy88 said:
TheMisterManGuy said:
thejboy88 said:

If I recall right, there was a brief shot during "Hearts and Hooves Day" which showed a funeral of some sort. That could mean that death works in pretty much the same way for ponies as it does for us.

We even get some semblance of an afterlife. With Tartarus, we have some equivalent of Hell for evil people (like Tirek) to g when they die. As for their equivalent of Heaven, I suppose that plane where Twilight ascended into an alicorn might count.
OK, but still, the show still has a slot of potential for more lessons, locations, character development, stories, and world-building to share.

FPLOON

Your #1 Source for the Dino Porn
Jul 10, 2013
I just want more land locations to be featured in both Equestria and within it's outside borders... Hell, I wouldn't mind "the coming of <link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CnOysetlQw>The Smooze" at that "looming evil" that OP was talking about...

But mostly... I just would like more world-building in general... and I don't mean through "nonchalant-esque name drops" and "ambassador cameos"...

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
Epic pony war!

But, for a more serious answer, I'dunno. The show seems to have a cool knack for taking mythological creatures and concepts and incorporating them pretty decently.
I wouldn't mind seeing more of that. And, there's a good chance that I probably will. So, yay for that!

Veylon

Aug 15, 2008
Dragonpit said:
Idea #3: I still don't honestly feel that Twilight is even remotely close to being Celestia's equal. Yes, Twi had to learn to handle the magic of three alicorns besides herself AND she now has her own castle, but what does any of that really mean? For me, that all only means that Twilight has some knowledge of the others' abilities and that she has had a change in real estate. In short, none of that even matters. However, if there is anything that'll cement Twilight being equal to her mentor in my mind, it'll be Twilight teaching CELESTIA a lesson of her own. And why not? Not only would it give Celestia herself some much needed development, it would literally prove her worth as Twilight's mentor. After all, the best mentors are the ones who learn from their students. And please, no time travel shenanigans here. It's been done and besides, it can become convoluted and will probably come off as really lazy for something like this. I would like a really organic learning experience here, in the present day.
I have to agree with this. Even in the movie Twilight noted that wings and a crown don't mean she's got any business running things. Season 4 didn't really do anything to move her forward. Being able to throw a lot of power around doesn't make her a ruler; it makes her a weapon. Having a castle doesn't necessarily mean anypony's going to listen what she's got to say.

As for her and Celestia....the relationship hasn't really changed. She needs to get out of Celestia's shadow at some point and actually do something that's her thing and not some project that her ex-mentor cooked up for her.

A lesson that would make sense to teach Celestia might involve something along the lines of letting others be involved and not holding all the cards so close to her chest. She's always the one who has all the facts and gives the orders after she's decided what the plan is. It's never her acting according to someone else's strategy.

themistermanguy

Nov 22, 2013
Country
United States
FPLOON said:
I just want more land locations to be featured in both Equestria and within it's outside borders... Hell, I wouldn't mind "the coming of <link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CnOysetlQw>The Smooze" at that "looming evil" that OP was talking about...

But mostly... I just would like more world-building in general... and I don't mean through "nonchalant-esque name drops" and "ambassador cameos"...
Yeah, world-building has been lacking for a while. I'd like to see them flesh out Equestria more.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I just want to see Celestia get to wreck somethings grill.