Final Boss Epic Gameplay

ZehMadScientist

Oct 29, 2010
In the Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess I thought the boss fight of the sky temple with that dragon was pretty damn epic. High towers, double hookshots in a downpour, once you're high enough you pull yourself toward him and stab him in the neck in midair. Epic days I tell you.
I liked the boss of the sand temple too now that I think about it. Now I feel like playing it again... If only I had the time :"(

God of War 3 had some epic bosses too.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Pearwood said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
Thank GOD for check points in that battle though because it would get ridiculous at times.
Yeah... I wanted to unlock the hidden character so I had to platinum the bloody mission. It was so hard but so satisfying when I did.
You got a PLATINUM in that mission? O_O

You have way more patience than me, I tip my hat to you. I tried playing that game on the hardest difficulty and gave up after I barely finished the first level.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
I know that it's been said already but, yes, DEFINITELY Shadow of the Colossus and the MGS series. (Especially 3 and 4) Those games have really epic final battles.

Those and the Final Fantasy games. 7 and 9 in particular.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
Lost Odyssey's final boss was pretty badass. So was his music.

It picks up at 1:00 and 1:30.

TheTim

Jan 23, 2010
I've always loved the legend of zelda boss fights, those are the best imo

along with the pokemon gyms

MorphingDragon

Apr 17, 2009
rohansoldier said:
For me RAAM from GOW1 (especially on insane mode) and Saren from Mass Effect 1 were 2 of the best bosses I have ever fought against, and had the pleasure of killing :)
Saren - Point and hold Shoot

Human Reaper - Point and hold Shoot

Found Mass Effects boss fights to be disappointing thus far.

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
I actually thought Ashera was pretty easy once you figure her out. Easier than the Dragon King, at least.

EDIT: Right, sorry, topic, topic.

My favorite final boss battles:

Ganon, Ocarina of Time
Majora, Majora's Mask
Lavos, Chrono Trigger
Human-Reaper Larva, Mass Effect 2
Shadow Broker, also from Mass Effect 2, if it counts
Weil, Megaman Zero 4
Archdemon, Dragon Age: Origins
Knight-Commander Meredith, Dragon Age 2 (yeah, what of it?)

All of them because of story, atmosphere, and music.

ESPECIALLY Megaman Zero 4 and Mass Effect 2. God damn.

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
Both final battles from Ocarina of Time, especially the final final. That was the most epic moment of my childhood, and might still be.

skywolfblue

Jul 17, 2011
MorphingDragon said:
rohansoldier said:
For me RAAM from GOW1 (especially on insane mode) and Saren from Mass Effect 1 were 2 of the best bosses I have ever fought against, and had the pleasure of killing :)

This. I'm kinda surprised that a lot of people in this thread are saying it's one of their favorites. I guess if they enjoyed it more power to them but I didn't find them particularly epic.

I'll second Bayonetta, that last boss is a rather intricate piece of work.

And from World of Warcraft:

Illidan
Arthas

Vashj and Yogg-Saron aren't technically "end bosses" of their respective expansions, but since they're "end bosses" of their instances and just plain outright awesome I feel it mandatory to include them as well.

rohansoldier

Sep 5, 2011
MorphingDragon said:
rohansoldier said:

I guess what I meant to say was that I found Saren to be an epic boss battle more because of the lead up to the fight than the fight itself.

The confrontation on Virmire and the dialogue options before the fight begins, plus the way you can talk him into killing himself to avoid the fight entirely are what makes the Saren encounter stand out for me.

The human reaper in ME2 however was a bit of a let down as far as boss battles go as it had no personality and was, as you say, a point and shoot encounter with no dialogue before, during or after and no attempt at negotiation (although there was no longer an option to put points into charm/intimidate skills in me2 to influence dialog anyway).

I enjoyed me2 as much as me1 but I hope more rpg like elements are returned to the game for me3.

RAAM was a point and shoot encounter as well, but that suits gears perfectly so I didn't mind that. Myrrah and the tempest was more of the same in gears 3 and I enjoyed that fight too.

Cooperblack

Apr 6, 2009
I've never really been a big fan of boss fights being something special, And i severely hate when it becomes a chore.

On the other hand i just played DX:HR missing link and the final boss i just went up and did a knockdown on him, He was just a human like everybody else.. i found that satisfying rather having to go though scripted stages of combat and whatnot.

Axyun

Oct 31, 2011
Few games 'get' boss fights. A boss fight should be an engaging and challenging affair. Instead, they are usually either frustratingly obtuse or pointlessly drawn out.

Two days ago, I finished Resident Evil 5 playing co-op all the way with my brother. The boss fights against that generic blond guy with the shades (I can never remember his name) have been some of the worst boss fights I've had the displeasure of playing.

AlternatePFG

Jan 22, 2010
Gwyn from Dark Souls. I felt like most of the endgame bosses were cool, but pretty easy. (Maybe except for Bed of Chaos but that's just because it's impossible to get close to the thing without getting hit by it's sweep attack) Gwyn on the other hand, was difficult (I know parry works well on him, but I'm terrible with the timing) and just epic.

I had to summon Solaire for the fight, and he really wasn't much help damage wise at all, but he manages to distract Gwyn long enough for me to get a few hits on him. I thought he was going to die during the fight, but he not only survived with a sliver of health, he also got the finishing blow. (Despite only doing like 10 damage per hit on Gwyn)

The build-up for the fight is pretty cool too. The actual ending of the game is kind unsatisfying. (Story-wise I mean. It felt so good beating that game.)

Dangernick42

Jan 12, 2009
I want to say Mass Effect 2, but the epicness wasn't so much the boss fight, as the atmosphere of the final level itself, the mediocre boss fight still felt epic because of what had build up to it.
I also enjoy some of the Resident Evil 5 bosses, not so much Wesker, but the various black tentacle monsters were usually interesting levels.
Some of the Dante's Inferno bosses were quite cool, even if the game itself was poor. Satan was a boring fight though.
But again, not a final boss, so back to the original question, I think an epic feeling boss fight would have to be fighting Darth Vader at the end of Force Unleashed (the first one), and then fighting him again when he's all beaten up.

Dr Pyramid Head

Aug 16, 2011
I second Persona 3's final boss. Really, just hearing the music fuels your determination to defeat the boss, and so does the story behind it.

-Seraph-

May 19, 2008
I never get tired of fighting Chaos and Feral Chaos from the Dissidia games. They are fucking epic to the max with all the awesome that goes in in those fights. When the final boss can grow to godzilla sized proportions and lay the smack down on you with swords the size of sky scrapers, or transport you to another dimension only to snuff you from existance, you got some epicness there.

traineesword

Jan 24, 2010
Dr Pyramid Head said:
I second Persona 3's final boss. Really, just hearing the music fuels your determination to defeat the boss, and so does the story behind it.
Just completed Persona 3 Portable (as a female student) and I have to agree. Though i had over-levelled due to entering "heaven's gate" (in hopes of being re-uinited with Shinjiro).

Though after such a cool boss fight, the ending left you feeling very empty.

Which is why i prefer Persona 4's true ending and boss battle... actually, no, just the ending. I loved how Nyx described the Arcana as s/he changed into them

Jazoni89

Dec 24, 2008
The final Fight with Ganondolf at the end of Twilight Princess was very epic, until you realise you could kill him with a fishing rod.