Final Fantasy 14 Endwalker Impressions - Error 2002

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
The new expansion is finally out for Final Fantasy 14 and oh boy is it a hoot......when you manage to beat the login boss. So as I've previously discussed in other threads, FF14 has had a major boom in popularity lately thanks to WoW being ass and most of it's content creators coming over to FF14. When a content creator moves to a game, so does their audience if they aren't already there. This has causes FF14 to explode, to the point where they've more than doubled their daily active userbase.

With unexpected popularity surges, comes log in problems. So in the lead up to Endwalker, Yoshi P and the devs have been hard at work trying to increase server capabilities as well as add new servers. They have made several posts warning players that they have not been able to obtain new servers due to shortages and not being able to get engineers to travel due to covid limitations. They have apologized and YoshiP has done his best with what he had available.

So it's no surprise that when you try to log into 14 you get a que that ranged from 4-10k players in front of you. This overloads the log in server and people get kicked out of their place in line. Again YoshiP has issued statements and apologized and offered everyone with a paid subscription to the game a full week of free playtime, with a promise that if loggin's don't stablize by then, they will give out more free time until the player base can log in without too much issue.

Endwalker then. They said it was going to have 30% more cutscenes and story that Shadowbringers and they were not lying. When I finally logged into the game successfully (which was not easy) I met up with the Scions of the Seventh Dawn to set out on the next adventure, which turns out to be a boat ride to a new island nation. We are introduced to a new waifu and a new city which you are forced to explore. The cut scenes are needlessly long and filled with excess dialog that REALLY REALLY made me want to skip them. Because that's my problem with a lot of the story telling in FF14. Some people enjoy the slow pace and the build up of the story, but for me I see it for what it is. Padding. Lots of shit where nothing fucking happens because the longer it takes the more gametime you'll pay for. Slow build up is fine sometimes, but that build up should be presented in gameplay not in overly long none-viced cutscenes that just drag. There is a reason why I skipped a shitload of the cutscenes throughout my leveling in FF14 in the first place.

Two hours, it took two hours of introductionary cut scenes and tours of the new city (which has a very nice layout and i like the city a lot) before the game finally told me to fucking fight something. The story itself is a bit lost on me because i did a lot of skipping and that's fine because it's my own fault. But I do get the jist of it even if i don't completely get the gravity of the situation. However if the gravity of the situation is dire, then that further highlights the problem of the narative being so slow paced. Monsters are invading and the world is on the cusp of destruction in a new calamity, but sure I'll fucking help this shy merchant sell his fucking fish right now, I have the time I guess.

I'm now 6 hours into the game and I've not yet leveled up once, and I have not yet unlocked a new dungeon. So a lot of the "new" in Endwalker I can't yet comment on. I'm really really trying to watch the story this time around but if this pace continues i'm just gonna watch a lore summary on youtube and skip it all so I can actually play the game.

All that bitching aside, I do feel like fans of the story so far are really going to enjoy what Endwalker is doing so for that I don't doubt that people will be showering the game with 9's and 10's in their own reviews. And gameplay wise it's still fantastic, some of the new UI decisions are fantastic like the new map when traveling via aethernet is great. The new classes look cool as shit, and I've heard nothing but good things about how they play.

Hopefully in a week or two the log in issues will be over and the game can be played without a 4hour queue lead up.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Good luck dealing with the Wowfugees
Not interested in either game, but isn’t FF14 vastly different to WoW in terms of, well, everything besides both being MMORPG’s? I’d think something like League of Legends or EverQuest would be more similar to what the Wow crowd is used to than a JRPG gone MMO.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Not interested in either game, but isn’t FF14 vastly different to WoW in terms of, well, everything besides both being MMORPG’s? I’d think something like League of Legends or EverQuest would be more similar to what the Wow crowd is used to than a JRPG gone MMO.
No, FF14 is very similar WoW, just with different focus and slow down. It's more like League of legend and DoTA2 or something.

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
League of Legends and Everquest are not even in the same ballpark.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Queue was about 75 minutes to log in. Tried attaching a controller to the PC but all the buttons are mapped wrong. It's weird

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
This game has some of the best music in a video game ever made.

Im now over halfway through the main story, queues are still terrible but i get up early enough that i can play for about an hour before work, so im chewing through it little by little. There are some sections that are incredibly dry and the pacing of the story is frankly terrible if im honest.

Though ff14s story has never been a story i ever thought was as great as people claimed. It is ok, but i still have a hard time caring too much.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Random thought but why they chose to have MMORPG-only entries as part of the main numbered series is frustrating. It’s part of the reason I’ve never been all that concerned about playing through all the others because it’s like well, there’s still those, and I’ll never play them.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Random thought but why they chose to have MMORPG-only entries as part of the main numbered series is frustrating. It’s part of the reason I’ve never been all that concerned about playing through all the others because it’s like well, there’s still those, and I’ll never play them.
I mean calling them "main series" is a bit of a misnomer tbh. Yes there is a "main" series, but none of them really have anything to do with each other. There are never any story elements from previous games that appear in newer entries (14 being an exception due to it's mmo nature) so it really doesn't matter which game you start with, nor does it matter that you only play a few random games from the series and ignore the rest.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
I mean calling them "main series" is a bit of a misnomer tbh. Yes there is a "main" series, but none of them really have anything to do with each other. There are never any story elements from previous games that appear in newer entries (14 being an exception due to it's mmo nature) so it really doesn't matter which game you start with, nor does it matter that you only play a few random games from the series and ignore the rest.
Yeah that puts my mind a bit more at ease then, thanks. It’s just that nagging feeling of not “playing them all”, but in this case like you said they’re each their own thing anyways.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Yeah that puts my mind a bit more at ease then, thanks. It’s just that nagging feeling of not “playing them all”, but in this case like you said they’re each their own thing anyways.
And the first 5 dont even really have stories anyway. Those are so basic you miss nothing by nothing playing them.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
And the first 5 dont even really have stories anyway. Those are so basic you miss nothing by nothing playing them.
I’m still going to at least finish V so that way I’ll have IV-IX played, and then will feel better about starting X (albeit for the third time). Bonus to now have the remastered version bundled with X-2.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I’m still going to at least finish V so that way I’ll have IV-IX played, and then will feel better about starting X (albeit for the third time). Bonus to now have the remastered version bundled with X-2.
X is one of the better overall games in the series. Decent story, good turn based gameplay that gets really deep if you want it too. And lots of extra content if you wanna tackle the hard shit. X-2 is fun but much more light hearted and fan servicey with all the outfits you can dress the girls up in.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
X is one of the better overall games in the series. Decent story, good turn based gameplay that gets really deep if you want it too. And lots of extra content if you wanna tackle the hard shit. X-2 is fun but much more light hearted and fan servicey with all the outfits you can dress the girls up in.
They didn’t censor that last part out did they? Moar Lulu please.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
?! 2 and 4 are really story heavy. I'd say you can comfortably skip 1-3, but 4-10 (+tactics) are all worth playing.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
?! 2 and 4 are really story heavy. I'd say you can comfortably skip 1-3, but 4-10 (+tactics) are all worth playing.
Final Fantasy 1 through five technically have stories....but are they really worth anything. I'd argue no. Final Fantasy 6 is the first game in which story really became the big focus and that has continued till now. Plus 1-5 have aged like dog shit tbh. Even the remasters are just a grind to deal with because they were filled with weak mechanics, and short lengths due to the NES.

If you are a huge fan of Final Fantasy you probably should play through every game at least once. But if you are just trying to check out the games casually, then 1-5 shouldn't even be on your radar.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Final Fantasy 1 through five technically have stories....but are they really worth anything. I'd argue no. Final Fantasy 6 is the first game in which story really became the big focus and that has continued till now. Plus 1-5 have aged like dog shit tbh. Even the remasters are just a grind to deal with because they were filled with weak mechanics, and short lengths due to the NES.

If you are a huge fan of Final Fantasy you probably should play through every game at least once. But if you are just trying to check out the games casually, then 1-5 shouldn't even be on your radar.
Hard disagree, 4 story is absolutely bonkers and put most modern story to shame with all the imaginative stuff it throws at the player. Giant robot, moon people, underground kingdom of summon. It's great stuff. Gameplay wise its not very interesting but the story is great.

5 story is not as wild, but it has a fun cast and plenty of interesting moment, plus the gameplay is great, you can do all kinds of weird team combination. Plus, crazy bridge battle!!!!!!!

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

I'll say that Final Fantasy I is good and can be fun, as long as you are playing the GBA or PSX version. Especially the former, as you get rebalanced and easier gameplay, and you get all those bonus dungeons. Final Fantasy II on the other hand, sucks no matter what version you're playing.

Last edited: