Final Fantasy 8 Pc Steam Re-release

Soulrender95

May 13, 2011
So this came right out of nowhere
[http://s282.photobucket.com/user/Soulrender95/media/FF8.jpg.html]

No word on if this is an enhanced update like Final Fantasy 7 but it has steam achievements so maybe.

I remember playing this the Christmas on the year it was released and I liked it insanely large plot holes aside not the greatest in the series but at least it's not as bad as some I could mention.

I wonder if the rest of the series is going to get PC ports.

TelHybrid

May 16, 2009
I hope it's not horrible midi music like the PC release of VII. Probably is though. I'll stick to my PS1 copies.

Maximum Bert

Feb 3, 2013
I would hardly call the FFVII PC release enhanced sure cloud saves (hur hur) and being able to alter your level and stuff was cool I suppose but it is still an inferior version of the PSX version of the game but it does allow modding and ofc some cool glitches and exploits that you cant do on the PSX version like the Yuffie warping glitch.

I tried playing FFVIII again a few months ago but I didnt get very far I just cant bare to go through that card game crap again it took me ages last time to get all the cards and assemble a complete collection. I mean losing intentionally to the comp and then hoping they took the right card so you could unlock the correct ones later then win them all back was not fun and its such a big part of the game too, unlike in IX where you could ignore it mostly (although IX s card game was much worse).

Its not the worst in the series by far though nothing has touched FFII in that regard as far as im concerned.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
The VII port was kind of awful in my opinion.
It was even worse than the ORIGINAL VII windows release from 1998 (I feel like I'm the only one who has played that).

That was already an inferior version, for some reason the dialog was censored.

Launcelot111

Jan 19, 2012
I was just wondering in the shower this morning about why they hadn't put this out on Steam yet. PC was the only way I played this or VII back in the day, so I welcome all the tinny music and awkward control schemes with open arms.

SteveTR

May 4, 2012
Thank you for pointing this out! I always wanted to play FF8 on the PC, but the versions I tried didn't work. I'm completely fine with only minor improvements, as long as the game runs without problems.

By the way, did they actually announce this? Because when they announced the FFVII Steam release, it was everywhere.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
I L-O-V-E FF8...for the PS1.

The PC version, eh, I hope this isn't just a re-release.
I REALLY hope they fixed the game, like better music.

ShinyCharizard

Oct 24, 2012
SourMilk said:
I'll stick to epsxe. Even though a PC version is cool and all but with the emulator; removing the FPS limit really beats any grind the game has.

Pass.
I hear that. Grinding at 200 fps is a lot more bearable lol.

Tomaius

Jan 25, 2012
So the music sucks and I feel like an idiot for buying this after getting my first wage packet.

EDIT. The worst part is my entire reason for buying it is that I didn't want to pirate the game through an emulator. No good deed goes unpunished right?

Easton Dark

Jan 2, 2011
I dunno how you guys can tell with the music. When the FF7 one updated to change the midi music to whatever format everyone wanted, I couldn't hear any difference.

And I am so picking this up at a later date (when I finish FF7). My first Final Fantasy, and I remember it being awesome. I had heard nothing of them even working on a re-release, and I'm super-hyped for it, because my PS1 disk 1 is scratched to shit :(

Pink Gregory

Jul 30, 2008
Wasn't the PC port of this really, really poorly reviewed at the time? Something about the FMVs in particular being very low quality compared to the PS1?

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
Oh hey, it's that Final Fantasy game which was so bad it turned me off the entire franchise. Good for it!

Don't see the point of these re-releases though if Square Enix aren't doing anything to actually improve them while still charging more than any other classic game in the entire GOG library.

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
Might get it once the price drops. Already own it on PS and I can't say I feel it's worth $12 on Amazon or 13 euro(...)on Steam. Would be nice having the game on my PC though since my discs are kind of broken. On FFVII I can't get past Cosmo Canyon, so I gotta use another save from Nibelheim I luckily happened to have. Missed plenty of materias on that one however.
FFIX takes like 20 attempts to get past the opening cinematic and it can't play the ending one(doubt they'll bother porting it though). Haven't played FFVIII in probably ten years, but odds are those discs are fucked up as well.
Tried finding some mods for this game, like with FFVII, but it seems to be very lacking. :(