Final Fantasy 9, what do you name your characters?

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
tippy2k2 said:
totheendofsin said:
I usually stick with the defaults, I have zero imagination for this stuff
I also always stick to the original names unless I'm feeling like an ass, in which case I'll name them their "secret identity"

For example, I would name Garnet Garnet so that she was telling everyone her real name when she was supposed to be hiding! Hilarious!

...I had a very low bar for comedy as a child.
If that's a low bar, then me naming the sprite character from Secret of Mana "Pepsi" is quite the challenge in limbo, IMO. I think I also named him "Pepper" in certain replays but I can't remember if I did or not.

OT: Speaking of not remembering, I think I stuck with the default names as well. Except for Vivi, but I can't remember what I named him.

Odbarc

Elite Member
Jun 30, 2010
Zidane - Saiyan
Vivi - 66
Steiner - Rusty
Dagger - Garnet
Freya - Jump
Quina - Odbarc
Eiko - Loli
Amarant - Ninja

Not really. I have preselected names I use throughout all my games which aren't all that interesting. Except the weirdest characters I usually use and rename Odbarc. Quina is that character in this game and I sort of like the Blue Magic collection aspect of games. I like Strago for this but his name gets to be Rukkus.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
Going off analgrams of my attempted playthroughs at various times... I still need to get a working copy to beat this, mine keeps having issues with Trance by the second disk. It's really pissing me off, because it's probably one of my favorite games and IMO the best of the entire series.

Zidane- Nick (my name) or Robert
Vivi- Veebo
Steiner- PigFace
Dagger- Lita (like the wrestler)
Freya- Screeny
Quina- Fat Kev (as in, Kevin Smith. The director)
Eiko- Jailbait
Amarant- Red hat

Man I idolized Zidane as a kid, the cocky douchebag that he is.

busterkeatonrules

- in Glorious Black & White!
Legacy
Jun 22, 2009
Country
Norway
I tend to keep the default names because custom ones just don't feel right. Though, on some secondary playthroughs (knowing I'll get the Namingway card soon and thus be able to change things back to normal), I name Amarant 'fart'. This way, he'll introduce himself to the party as the 'Flaming Fart'.

Also, when I was watching my friend play through the beginning of the game, he disliked the idea of calling the princess 'Dagger' - and asked me to suggest something else. I suggested 'Wedgie', in honor of her supremely tight pants.

To this day, he remembers her only as 'Princess Wedgie'!

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
I used to do funny names, but then when I talked to people about JRPGs I realized I didn't know any of the canon names. Was kind of a problem, lol.

Apr 25, 2009
I always keep the base names when playing a character driven game. Some character designer spent a long time spitballing name ideas and narrowing them down to just the right one, mine are going to be shit in comparison.

On another note I've been meaning to give FF9 a try. I hear it's really good and a lot of people's favourites. Perhaps I'll wait for the HD rerelease to come out. Ever since I finished Chrono Trigger for the first time a couple of months ago I've been trying to find something just as good, but no success yet.

runic knight

Mar 26, 2011
Steiner - Rusty , Always do it every time. Just because it makes me smile. As for other characters, well, named

Amarant-Knuckles , After the echidna. Also "Flaming Knuckle" sounds both sort of cool, as well as sort of dirty at the same time.

Freya I sometimes named Din, I don't know why. Or RATchel, because of the conversation right beforehand.

Quina usually got some reference to the weight and eating motiff. Fatty, Gutton, Kirby...

Orga777

Jan 2, 2008
I keep everyone the same names in most FF games by this point. I think keeping things the same is better for the story without taking me out of it with some weird names that obviously won't fit 90% of the time. The only character I ever change the name of is Barrett from FFVII by naming him Mr. T, because, how could I not? <.<

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Not FFIX, but when I was younger and infinitely more immature, whenever I had to name Rinoa's dog in FFVIII, I named him Anal.

It let Rinoa perform such splendid limit breaks as Anal Search, Anal Rush and Anal Cannon!

Ok, I'll admit, that still gets a little chuckle out of me.

ArcaneGamer

Dec 21, 2014
WeepingAngels said:
Here's what I have on my current playthrough on IOS:

Zidane - Zidane
Vivi - Merlin
Steiner - TinMan (Spaces are not allowed)
Garnet - Zelda (she doesn't want anyone to know she's a Princess, LOL. I should have named Zidane Link)
Freya - RatFace
Quina - Gluttony
Eiko - I don't know what I will name her when I get her.
Amarant - When I get him, I plan to name him Crono due to his hair

How about you guys?
Merlin? DUDE! That works so well! I remember just going for the default name. Although, if I played it these days, I would name him Solas after Solas from Dragon Age Inquisiton. Both are tragic powerful figures, and you feel for them both. And now, on the names I went with!

Zidane- My family has this nickname for me, ever since I was little. Bubba.

Steiner-John, after my first stepdad. Good guy, but usually I just go for Rusty. I saw someone put it in during a playthrough once, and I thought it was funny. One of my Favorite characters by the way, other than Vivi.

Garnet- My memory on what I named her is a little fuzzy, but from what I do, I tended to go with the default. Or Dagger.

Freya- Kelly, after my aunt, but if I did these days? Valanna, after the character from Dragon Age Awakening. I see similarities to the two.

Quina- I...don't quite remember. But these days? Ed from Ed, Edd, n Eddy. Strong, likes food, not that bright, but having a good heart.

Eiko- Either my cousin Allie or Georgia. The same LP I got "Rusty" for Steiner from. I like the way it sounds.

Amarant- After my uncle Mike "Hammerhead" Purcell. It's a nickname he has, thanks to a hat he owns, and his own temperament.

Silence

Living undeath to the fullest
Legacy
Sep 21, 2014
Country
Germany
Ever since everyone named their pokemon trainer Ass - I have gone with default names instead.

Really don't have the imagination for more than fart jokes in names, and I don't like naming people after fart jokes.

kurupt87

Fuhuhzucking hellcocks I'm good
Mar 17, 2010
The only one I ever changed was Vivi's. I called him Puck instead because Puck takes the piss out of Vivi's name, then introduces himself. :)

conmag9

Aug 4, 2008
All default...sorta. When I was asked to rename Garnet, instead of dagger I just stuck with Garnet. Because naming yourself dagger is even more attention grabbing (and profoundly stupid sounding) than the extremely common tendency for people to name their kids the same as the royal family.