Final Fantasy Goes Social

Furioso

Jun 16, 2009
I read one thing, Airship combat, why has this not been in the other games?! That would be awesome! (If it WAS in the other games, please inform my stupid ass)

Edit: Thanks for the tips on Skies of Arcadia, but I meant why isn't airship combat in final fantasy games, but I will still check out SoA

AbstractStream

Feb 18, 2011
I'm...actually open to this. Seems interesting enough.
killercyclist said:
i just hope that if they do a monthly fee to play that it isn't too high!
Well damn. Had not thought about that.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
For some reason the airship on the logo reminds me more of Mario 3 than it does Final Fantasy...

lord.jeff

Oct 27, 2010
vrbtny said:
Marshall Honorof said:
Some fans will undoubtedly be upset that one of the most popular core RPG series out there will soon embrace the casual market, but then again, when was the last time the Final Fantasy fanbase actually enjoyed [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RuinedFOREVER] a Final Fantasy game?
Final Fantasy VII.

VIII - Eh, alright, Not as good as VII
IX - Eh, alright, still not as good as VII
X - Tidus.
X-2 - Everything.
XI - ???
XII - A load of people hated the Combat system.
I never got why so many people hated the combat in XII, I thought it was the best of the systems for combat, not so much for leveling up though still not bad.

vrbtny

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2009
Waaghpowa said:
vrbtny said:
Marshall Honorof said:
Some fans will undoubtedly be upset that one of the most popular core RPG series out there will soon embrace the casual market, but then again, when was the last time the Final Fantasy fanbase actually enjoyed [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RuinedFOREVER] a Final Fantasy game?
Final Fantasy VII.

X - Tidus.
X-2 - Everything.
XI - ???
You forgot...

FFXIII- Everything about it sucked.

Seems like just about everyone thinks that the last really good ones were VI and VII.
Good point. I've just never played it so forgot about it.

lord.jeff said:
I never got why so many people hated the combat in XII, I thought it was the best of the systems for combat, not so much for leveling up though still not bad.
I loved XII's combat and leveling up system. I got the impression people hated it for leaving traditional Final Fantasy combat, but I much preferred Combat in XII to standard turn based stuff.

Towowo2

Feb 6, 2009
I loved XII's combat and leveling up system. I got the impression people hated it for leaving traditional Final Fantasy combat, but I much preferred Combat in XII to standard turn based stuff.
I got the impression it was because of the Gambit System which is arguably the best designed CPU I've played with. People hated that the game played itself if you used it. I'd rather have this system than any terrible game ally CPU most other games tend to have.

Nalgas D. Lemur

Nov 20, 2009
Tin Man said:
Furioso said:
I read one thing, Airship combat, why has this not been in the other games?! That would be awesome! (If it WAS in the other games, please inform my stupid ass)
Skies of Arcadia if you got a gamecube, one of the best games on that system.
Or the original Dreamcast version. Awesome game either way, and the airship combat was great but sadly underused. I really need to replay that game one of these days. That was the first thing I thought of when I saw "airship combat" in the story, and SoA is still one of my favorite FF-style JRPGs, possibly more than any of the FF games themselves.

-Seraph-

May 19, 2008
Furioso said:
Actually, Final Fantasy Type-0 for the PSP has air ship combat. From what I've seen, it kind looks and feels like playing star fox too. It's being localized right now so it should be out in non-japanese countries hopefully soon given how SE have been rather quick with their localization lately.

Looks pretty damn awesome actually:

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
vrbtny said:
Marshall Honorof said:
Final Fantasy VII.
X - Tidus.
X-2 - Everything.
XI - ???
There are so many things wrong with this post I don't know where to start.

LobsterFeng

Apr 10, 2011
vrbtny said:
Final Fantasy VII.

X - Tidus.
X-2 - Everything.
XI - ???
I loved the combat system in XII, it was the story I couldn't stand.

OT: Yeah and I'm still not interested in Final Fantasy anymore, sorry.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
Furioso said:
Skies of Arcadia? It was a JRPG on Dreamcast(and later ported to the Gamecube) that took place largely on airships. The airship battles were really the best part too.

EDIT: Oh, ninjas, why must you ninja me so?

LordCruxis

Sep 24, 2011
Ok why does everyone love VII so much :/

Seriously it's so overrated; VI, IV, VIII, Tactics, IX and XI were all better than VII.
People only love VII because of the huge leap in graphics. I mean I do enjoy the materia and combat systems. And the story wasn't horrible, but it wasn't spectacular.

XII Had a good story but combat was a joke, even on extra bosses, it was time consuming though.
Yes smart AI is nice, but I want to play the game, not watch the game play itself.

I never understood why people thought XIII was gonna be "the next VII." I never got my hopes up
and in fact was impressed by it, but I set my standards low. The combat was new, it looked gorgeous, and the plot was unique-ish.

ThunderCavalier

Nov 21, 2009
... This honestly sounds like a fairly good idea and has some merit to it for being a welcome expansion to the Final Fantasy franchise and could very well attract a good audience with solid and addicting gameplay.

Did I fall into the Twilight Zone?