Final Fantasy IX speed run

Ando85

Apr 27, 2011
Has anyone attempted or completed the speed run for FF9? I read you have to get to a specific point in the game in under 12 hours to get a good sword for Steiner.

I always considered attempting it as I love FF9 and have played through it multiple times. However, its not really the type of game I would like to rush through. Had loads of fun doing speed runs on Resident Evil titles, but not sure how I'd like it on an RPG.

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
Lagao said:
Get to the final boss, at level 1. THATS a fun challenge! (and yes..it's possible. Boss fights don't give xp!)
... I think you are thinking of FFVIII there.

And even then, it isn't possible to get there at level 1 since most characters (all characters?) start off higher than 1.

Rivenart

Feb 1, 2012
I don't even get how anyone could make it to that point in 12 hours, the game has such a slow pace to it, battles are slow, dialogue is slow and the areas you cover on each disc are fairly large, so 4 hours for each just seemed way too low. Don't get me wrong I love the game but at times length of battles or not getting anywhere fast makes me need to drag myself though parts.
Anyway it always struck me as odd to reward players for skipping most of the content, rushing though the rest for...one piece of content.

Tanakh

Jul 8, 2011
Bara_no_Hime said:
Lagao said:
Get to the final boss, at level 1. THATS a fun challenge! (and yes..it's possible. Boss fights don't give xp!)
... I think you are thinking of FFVIII there.

And even then, it isn't possible to get there at level 1 since most characters (all characters?) start off higher than 1.
It's also possible to beat FFIX on level 1, as AP and XP are not linked. With the right build for Zidane and Quina it's not even hard to finish it at level 1, but fun? Nahh, unless you are obsessive and actually enjoy your compulsions.

Did the speed run once years ago, wouldn't reccomend it. If anything remember to keep backups of your saves, skip the cinematics and practice tricky areas beforehand. I also went to kill a couple of dragons way early in the game (with reflect and... dont remember what else) to lvl like crazy and be able to rush everything.

Shinsei-J

Prunus Girl is best girl!
Apr 28, 2011
I tried, I failed, I left, I played cards.
Yer this was the point I decided that I'm the type of person who likes to take my time.
Never again.

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
Tanakh said:
It's also possible to beat FFIX on level 1, as AP and XP are not linked. With the right build for Zidane and Quina it's not even hard to finish it at level 1, but fun? Nahh, unless you are obsessive and actually enjoy your compulsions.
Ah, I see.

See, there's a mechanical benefit to doing the min level run in FF8. Particularly if you do the dead party member trick with Seifer at the start to get 100 of all the -ga spells. Good times.

It's been a while since I played FF9, but I don't recall any benefit to being low level in that game. Wouldn't it just be massively annoying with no real purpose?

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
TizzytheTormentor said:
Don't rush it! Excaliber 2 is NOT worth the agrivation, just enjoy the game at your pace, to get the sword you have to skip ATE's training, loafing around and a lot more. FFIX is my fav Final Fantasy and I will never do a speed run for Excaliber 2.

Besides if your feeling savvy I believe on either action replay or emulator you can just reset the time once you get to memoria and get the weapon easy.
or .... use said cheat device to just GET the weapon ....