Final Fantasy Made Me a Bad Boyfriend

manic_depressive13

Dec 28, 2008
A well written and interesting article. It helped me understand why some people feel the need to waste time and money doing extremely unnecessary and extravagant things for their partner when all it does is make them seem mental and obsessive.

AbstractStream

Feb 18, 2011
Fantastic article. I had a smile on my face the whole time I was reading because you are so right. I'd love to see more of those "subtle moments" in game. It'd mean so much more.

BishopofAges said:
Howl's Moving Castle.
I had to quote just for the mention of Howl's Moving Castle. I love that movie :D

Ninedeus

Feb 26, 2010
Great article. Final Fantasy games and many JRPG's stick to the stereotype where in the lead characters are generally self-centered and self-absorbed and others are fascinated with that attitude. This caters to the young and selfish behavior we have as teens and this makes people (including me at that age) idolize them.

But as we grow and learn more about people, we realize that its not just about me but about her as well. Acts of grandeur become meaningless when you usually act distant and detached to someone you love. I couldn't agree more that its the small things that matter, a smile, a pat in the shoulder, a shoulder to cry into, that moment of silence when you both understand each other and there is no longer any need for words.

LilithSlave

Sep 1, 2011
The thing is, Squall isn't meant to be Mario saving a princess, he's supposed to be a Tsundere like Asaka Tiger who finally realizes he loves someone after things have been rocky and, sorta tragic. A pretty tragedy of what not to do, and yet being a romantic story, is kind of what VIII is. You're supposed to realize that Squall is being an idiot who can't be honest with his feelings from the beginning. And make you feel good at the relief that things turned out okay for him. I've got to admit, the scene in space made me cry. You're not a bad boyfriend if you like that.
xXxJessicaxXx said:
I love it when guys make grand gestures (because I'm a romantic ;p)
Me too. Not just guys, but from everyone. Has emotional torque.

Like this.

But yeah, variety is nice. And I'm also tired of damsels in distress.:p

Video games have too much of the stress and adventure of relationships, but not enough of the comfort and normal stuff. Where two people have an invested comfort in one another.

I would just like to say that while this article makes a point, the "grandiose" stuff about relationships is fun, too.

burymagnets

Nov 30, 2010
I think grand gestures are fine if your not a massive douche. Snapping a cd behind your girlfriend really isn't the same as going into space to rescue her; that's about equivalent to Squall cooking Rinoa a nice meal and you throwing a McDonalds at your girlfriend's face.

Plus if Metallica has ever been your favourite music, romance might not be for you.

If you actually love someone, you will appreciate the little things anyway.

Zen Toombs said:
Article said:
Not just the grandiose acts of passion, but the quiet moments of subtlety that color a relationship. I'd like to see more games that treat characters and relationships as complex, nuanced and imperfect. I'd like to see games that can help to give the impressionable the right impression.
But having good writing is hard!
lol :)

McDuffie

Oct 12, 2010
I still can?t see why everyone points at FF8 for a love story. Any of the other FF games, including many other franchises, are better at telling a love story. Even without it being the main focus. Did you honestly care if any playable character died in FF8? Hell? What were the levels of your other characters besides Squall in the last fight? How many card games did you play? Everything in the game just seemed so forced and rushed, story and love story wise in my opinion. When Squall finally started to give two cents about everyone you, as the player, are like, ?What the hell!?! Where did this come from!?!? because it wasn?t just a gradual change, but a complete 180 out of no where. One second it?s, ?I don?t care!? then it turns to ?Ok! I care now!? I know that love can make you do stupid things and change someone, but still. I haven?t experienced it myself, but I?ve seen a lot of people, including close friends, acting down right retarded and changing into a completely different people for *Sighs sadly as he laughs* Love...

I think it would have been a better game if they would have had the characters express there feelings more, if not, tell more about themselves. Because? to be honest? I didn?t care about anyone in the game at all. I wanted to know more but the game is like, ?Nope! That?s all you get!? The story should be drawing the player in, to the point of the player caring about the characters and story as well as telling more about them. Most importantly the part you play in the story. There are just so many unanswered questions in that game and not enough information to support it. There was countless times where I was just looking at the screen in confusion saying, ?Why?? I went into the game really wanting to enjoy it but when I finished it? multiple times I might add? It just felt more like a waste of time. Just like Eternal Sonata was, just one of many past failed rpgs, and the most recent Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning that I am still playing. If you ever have to ask yourself why while you?re playing a game, chances are you?re not enjoying it.

When you finish a game it should be like closing a good book. Good ending or bad. Not more confusion? @_@ Oh! Also nice post Stew!

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
For Valentines day my fiancee bought me a little book with love quotes and photoshopped pictures in it.

One of the quotes was "True love comes quietly without banners or flashing lights. If you hear bells, get your ears checked" (Erich Segal)

CleverCover

Nov 17, 2010
Maybe that's why I liked Alistair so much. The biggest thing he does is give you a rose after you give him his mother's locket and it's cute and wonderful, but you mostly enjoy the character for his snark and his dorkiness (and his usefulness as an all-powerful tank).

I'd like to imagine had they had more time, they would have talked more, kicked more ass together, shout at each other a bit (Alistair, why you let your bitchy sister just talk to you that way?), give more gifts, snark, more snark, sex, and more roses.

Captcha: fishy smell

O_O How does captcha know what my mom is cooking? >.<