Final Fantasy numbers... Don't make sense.

tehweave

Gaming Wildlife
Apr 5, 2009
Is it just me or is final fantasy the series misnumbered?

Since final fantasy 5 and 6 are the same game as 2 and 3, then why is FF7 the 7th installment? Shouldn't it be the 5th installment since FF5 and FF6 are remakes?

Or am I wrong somehow?

Citrus

Apr 25, 2008
They decided to just call it FF7 so that it would be in sync with the series in Japan again.

TheNumber1Zero

Forgot to Remember
Jul 23, 2009
Difference depending on whether it's the Japanese or Not Japanese game.
What may be 2 or 3 in Japan could very well be 5 or 6 in the rest of the World.
Could be they tried syncing up and now it makes no sense.

Anyone got a Chart of some sort?

Artemicion

Need superslick, Kupo.
Dec 7, 2009
I'm a little fuzzy on the details but basically many (most) of the games were released in Japan and not the US so when they finally released their next game to the US it was the seventh one released in Japan.
That sounds about right, right guys?

dekkarax

Apr 3, 2008
FF2, FF3, and FF4 (or 5) were never initially released in the US, FF5(or 4, I can't remember) and FF6 were renamed to avoid confusion, by 7 they just started using the japanese sequel numbers.

It was worse in the UK, FFs 2-6 were never released here 'til after 9.

Kyouhen

Apr 2, 2010
I believe 2 and 3 are Japan's 5 and 6. At least I know 3 = 6, not sure about 2. Either way, my guess is they decided to stop changing the name when Sony bought into it.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Ummm.Japanese numbering is straight 1-13

The US skipped FF 2 and 3 and 5.

Making FF, FF4 (in the US known as FF2), and FF6 (In the US known as FF3).

Lukeje

Feb 6, 2008
tehweave said:
Is it just me or is final fantasy the series misnumbered?

Since final fantasy 5 and 6 are the same game as 2 and 3, then why is FF7 the 7th installment? Shouldn't it be the 5th installment since FF5 and FF6 are remakes?

Or am I wrong somehow?
V and VI aren't remakes; they're the game's numbers as they were published in Japan (also, I think you mean IV and VI). FFVII would be FF4 if they'd stuck with the old numbering system.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Someone isn't up on their Final Fantasy history. Not all the Final Fantasy games were initially released outside of Japan, namely Final Fantasies II & III, later Final Fantasy IV was released in N. America, and presumably elsewhere, under the title 'Final Fantasy II' and Final Fantasy VI was released to the rest of the world under the title 'Final Fantasy III'. Now fast forward a few more years to when Square starts releasing compilations, for the PS1 we saw 'Final Fantasy Anthologies' which included Final Fantasy V and VI now released under it's proper title. Also for the PS1 came 'Final Fantasy Chronicles' which included Final Fantasy IV, again now released under it's proper title, and Chrono Trigger. Of course last console generation, the remakes really started flying, so for the GBA we saw 'Final Fantasy: Dawn of Souls' which included a remake of the original Final Fantasy and Final Fantasy II, that is the original Final Fantasy II that up until then had not shown it's face outside of Japan.
Long story short, if you're familiar with the history of the series, the numbering makes sense.

tehweave

Gaming Wildlife
Apr 5, 2009
Okay, after posting this I now am more confused than ever before, but thank you all for trying to help. I'm really being sincere at this point, thanks!

thenoblitt

May 7, 2009
theyve re-released every game in america and 2 and 3 are not 5 and 6, that is just what they called them over here because they didnt port the other ones over yet. 1-13 all our all completely different games with nothing connecting them besides a few minor things, but i cant say much for any of the spin off games

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
final fantasy 1 - NES, released in both Japan and US as Final Fantasy
Final Fantasy 2 - NES, unreleased in US
Final Fantasy 3 - NES, unreleased in US
Final Fantasy 4 - SNES, Released in the US as Final Fantasy 2
Final Fantasy 5 - SNES, unreleased in US
Final Fantasy 6 - SNES, released in the US as Final Fantasy 3
Final Fantasy 7 - PSX, Released both in Japan and the US as Final Fanasy 7.

Final Fantasy 4 and 6 are not remakes of Final Fantasy 2 and 3, but were just renamed for their american releases because 2, 3 and 5 were not released in US until many years later

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
In order to understand this thing, we need a flashback.

The year now is 1991, Square USA have relatively recently released the localised version of Final Fantasy, and are beavering away on localising the sequel, but wait, what's this? A wild SNES appeared!

The release of the SNES was a crucial branchpoint in history. Square could continue to release the NES games, thereby locking themselves to the old hardware, or they could down tools and start work on the latest Japanese release, the much prettier Final Fantasy IV. They opted to do the latter and, recognising that Americans are easily confused by nonsequential numbers and difficult gameplay, dumbed the whole thing down considerably and renamed it Final Fantasy II.

When the time came to do Final Fantasy VI, (V having been considered too fiddly for yanks), Ted Woolsey was in charge, and that meant there were no rules about what things ended up being called or how the dialogue was written, so this one was called Final Fantasy III.

It wasn't until Final Fantasy VII that it was generally accepted that people would realise that the reason that the numbers had jumped was that some games had skipped localisation and the actual title was used (plus they probably couldn't be bothered to rerender the opening CGI with a new title graphic).

Tony2077

Dec 19, 2007
some of the games were released here under a different name well number but its close enough but later on they decided to just release them over here with the old title

kurupt87

Fuhuhzucking hellcocks I'm good
Mar 17, 2010
FF I and II (the NES games) were released in a compilation PAL version for the PSX, it was called Final Fantasy: Origins.
This further confuses things, because (I think) there are now two different games that have been released called FF II in Europe and NA.

willard3

Aug 19, 2008
GloatingSwine said:
but wait, what's this? A wild SNES appeared!
Sega: Go! Genesis!
Genesis uses Super-Beefy Controller!
It's not very effective...

SNES uses Mario Kart!
It's super effective!

Genesis fainted!