Final Fantasy Question

godfist88

Dec 17, 2010
Hello Escapists i'm thinking of trying out Final Fantasy, but i'm not sure which one i should get. Care to give me some suggestions?

vault69

Feb 22, 2011
PS1 options mainly here
Go with IX I found it to be the best non MMO in the series(best MMO being XI)
VII is overrated but still really good
and XIII was extremely linear but decent with some VERY mixed reviews
Just whatever you do steer clear of X-2, note thats not 12 thats 10-2

Julianking93

May 16, 2009
X

That was the first one I played and possibly my favourite still.

Then again, I have probably the least popular opinion of the Final Fantasy series.
I hated 7, thought 9 was okay, and X2 is one of the greatest games ever in my opinion.

So... maybe you shouldn't listen to me >.>

MostlyHarmless

Feb 8, 2010
Don't start on the MMORPGS. Hmm. Well, IV invented the Active Time Battle system which is the one they use now. I wouldn't recommend starting form 1 up considering only 3 of the games don't implement the ATB. It's harder getting into the ATB than into simple turn-based.

Start from IV up, then go back to I-III if you enjoyed them. Good luck.

ten.to.ten

Mar 17, 2011
Don't start from 1 and work your way up either, the earlier games in the series are ridiculously dated and almost unplayable by today's standards. They start getting really good at FF4, if you have a PSP, FF4 is coming out for that soon and it looks like it's going to be the definitive version.

You should also give FF7 a try, I introduced someone to it recently who had never actually played it before and he absolutely loved it. FF10 is also probably a pretty good start, possibly FF13 too.

Zebag

May 23, 2010
Depends on what you're looking for. If you want more character customization go with V or VII. If you want to have characters with more set classes then IV, VI, or IX. X and XII are fun as well but feel different from the earlier games. I isn't bad either, just after the first main dungeon says, "figure the rest out yourself."

Sassafrass

This is a placeholder
Legacy
Aug 24, 2009
Country
United Kingdom
Julianking93 said:
This. This this this.
It's the only reason I bought another PS2 after I sold my first one years ago. Plus it's the only FF game I've finished more then once. (Finished VII, X-2 and XIII once, never touched anything before VII, nor touched XI or XII, never finished VIII or IX, both bored me.)

I would also hesitantly push you towards VII but nowadays, don't expect anything mind bogglingly special. It'll be good, but it won't be the holy grail of gaming like some believe. And I'd also push you towards XIII as, despite what many people say, it's a good game.

reignsupreme

Oct 19, 2010
Start with either VI,VII or X these are my three personal favorites and regarded by many to be the best ones. They also have simple to learn combat systems that are pretty similar.
Just don't play x-2.. for the love of humanity dont play that one, or at least till you have played the rest. The story is terrible it ruined the characters from x and getting 100% completion is almost impossible without a guide book

swytchblayd

May 28, 2008
Avoid any of those newer than #9... They're just shitstorms waiting to happen, and they seem to be more about glamor and pazazz than actually coherent stories and gameplay that doesn't suck a big fat one >.< I recently tried playing 13... couldn't make it beyond the first five hours without getting bored out of my skull.

Numbers 6, 7, and 9 are about the best ones in my opinion, #4 in a pinch. 4 and 6 you can probably find for under $20 in their remade formats on the PS1, and 7 & 9 are also for that same system. Another suggestion would be Final Fantasy Tactics Advance for the GBA; decent story, fast-paced combat (for a strategy RPG, at least XD) and tolerable characters. Not sure about FFTA2, but I've not heard bad things about it either.

Were you thinking just about NeverendingFinal Fantasy, or other JRPGs as well? There's more than a few that I can think of that'd be easier on the mind than FF has been lately...

Atticus89

Nov 8, 2010
The best advice I can give is start with whatever you can afford. My first Final Fantasy was the graphical updates of Final Fantasy and FFII (the one for the NES) on my old GBA. Then I played VI on the GBA, III and IV on the DS, while VII-IX was with my college roommate who felt nostalgic one weekend. I haven't personally played anything past IX, so that's open game.

Yes, I skipped V. Not out of choice but I just haven't played it yet.

Nimzar

Nov 30, 2009
X is a good one to start with. VII is a fan favorite but the dated graphics may make it hard to get into. VI is also favored by fans and if you don't have a problem with sprites then it may be easier to get into than VII.

XI and XIV are MMOs so I'd not start with them.
XIII and XII have divided fans on their appeal.
VIII has a wonky magic system that might put you off.
IX is a pretty solid entry -- might be a good second game.
V had a good job system--a perfection of the one found III
IV had a good narative.
III introduced the mechanic of job switching
II had a weird level up mechanic
I is where it all started and by today's standards is quite dated.

So my advice is:

Start with X
If you enjoy that one move on to VI and IX (in any order)
Then VII, IV and V (in any order).
Then the rest in any order.

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
Depends on your preference. If you require near current-gen graphics and cutscenes, go with X. If you don't care about graphics and want close to a traditional fantasy story, go with V. If you want some epic, out-there comic storytelling, go with VI. If you want a fun class system, some say go with III, but I would say go with V... or I.

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
FF 7 is a fan favorite, as well as my personal favorite.

FF 10 has a really good story, but the voice acting can be a bit... eh.

FF 8 and 9 are both good, but in very different ways, and probably aren't a good bet for a first time player.

FF 6 is a great one, but I'm not sure how easy it is to get a hold of these days.

random213

Mar 3, 2011
Nimzar said:
X is a good one to start with. VII is a fan favorite but the dated graphics may make it hard to get into. VI is also favored by fans and if you don't have a problem with sprites then it may be easier to get into than VII.

XI and XIV are MMOs so I'd not start with them.
XIII and XII have divided fans on their appeal.
VIII has a wonky magic system that might put you off.
IX is a pretty solid entry -- might be a good second game.
V had a good job system--a perfection of the one found III
IV had a good narative.
III introduced the mechanic of job switching
II had a weird level up mechanic
I is where it all started and by today's standards is quite dated.

So my advice is:

Start with X
If you enjoy that one move on to VI and IX (in any order)
Then VII, IV and V (in any order).
Then the rest in any order.
Couldn't of said it any better.