Final Fantasy Tactics Dev's Unsung Story Heads to Kickstarter

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Final Fantasy Tactics Dev's Unsung Story Heads to Kickstarter

[kickstarter=playdek/unsung-story-tale-of-the-guardians]

Playdek and Yasumi Matsuno's are aiming to raise $600,000 to produce PC and Mac editions of their tactical RPG Unsung Story.

Last year in September, mobile developer <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/127949-Final-Fantasy-Tactics-Dev-Working-on-New-Mobile-Titles>Playdek announced that it would be partnering up with JRPG-legend Yasumi Matsuno (Final Fantasy Tactics) to produce Unsung Story: Tale of the Guardians, a mobile tactics RPG that would deliver deep mechanics, an interesting world and an epic story spanning nearly a century of conflict. Now, it's been revealed that Playdek, hoping to expand the game beyond the mobile market, is taking Unsung Story to Kickstarter.

According to Playdek, its <a href=http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/482445197/unsung-story-tale-of-the-guardians>new campaign was predicated by the enthusiastic reaction of Matsuno's fans to the new game and their desire to see it released on a wider swath of platforms. "The tremendous outpouring of fan support for our partnership with Yasumi Matsuno and the new creative property Unsung Story prompted us to turn to the Kickstarter community to bring the game to as many gamers as we can with a cross-platform launch plan," said Playdek CEO Joel Goodman. Matsuno has expressed similar hopes that the game's Kickstarter will help Playdek "[bring] this new experience to gamers everywhere."

Unsung Story's campaign aims to raise $600,000 with stretch goals running as high $3.2 million. Among the included stretch goals are versions for the PS Vita ($1.8m) and 3DS ($2.8m), as well as potential staff additions including composer Hitoshi Sakimoto who has written the music for several of Matsuno's games including Ogre Battle, Final Fantasy Tactics and Vagrant Story. Playdek has confirmed that the mobile edition of the game will still be made if its Kickstarter fails. That said, the project still has 31 days left to go and has already accumulated more than $50,000. If it can keep up even a fraction of that pace, it should make it.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Welp, Mr. Matsuno is the mastermind behind Tactics, Vagrant Story, and was working on XII before the executives kept making changes and butting into his work, so Mastuno left while XII was about half done. You know Vaan and Penelo, they weren't in Matsuno's Final Fantasy XII, but were added in after the executives thought that the main characters (Balthier and Basch) were too old to relate too...>.>

Either way, this is definitely the fourth game I'm supporting on Kickstarter.

IndomitableSam

Sep 6, 2011
Link to Kickstarter is broken.

Sounds very promising. I've probably put more time into Tactics than any other game over the years, and am as excited to try new ways to play the game as I was the first time I played whenever I pick it up again. Will keep a close eye on this.

MatsVS

Tea & Grief
Nov 9, 2009
FF T, FF XII & Vagrant Story are some of my favourite games of all time. Supporting the fuck out of this.

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
IndomitableSam said:
Link to Kickstarter is broken.

Sounds very promising. I've probably put more time into Tactics than any other game over the years, and am as excited to try new ways to play the game as I was the first time I played whenever I pick it up again. Will keep a close eye on this.
Thanks for the heads up. Fixed.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Neronium said:
Welp, Mr. Matsuno is the mastermind behind Tactics, Vagrant Story, and was working on XII before the executives kept making changes and butting into his work, so Mastuno left while XII was about half done.
Interesting, I liked the majority of tactics, I loved Vagrant Story though I stopped playing after a dragon kept kicking my ass no matter what weapon combination(LOVED that system, btw) I used. I think that was around the 5 hour mark but I'm not sure. FF XII didn't grab me, I put several hours in but in the end I left it for something else.

Despite that, this still sounds interesting.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
Kinda sad that good franchises would never be continued without kickstarter.
First not-megaman-but-kinda and now this.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
-Dragmire- said:
Interesting, I liked the majority of tactics, I loved Vagrant Story though I stopped playing after a dragon kept kicking my ass no matter what weapon combination(LOVED that system, btw) I used. I think that was around the 5 hour mark but I'm not sure. FF XII didn't grab me, I put several hours in but in the end I left it for something else.

The international version of Final Fantasy XII adds a bit more like Tactics when it comes to the license boards. The International version of 12 adds a class system for the license boards and each one is unique. You can't change the board unfortunately, but if you're tactical with who gets what Summon then you're classes can start to blend. For example, if you give your Knight a certain Esper, then he can possibly learn White Magic. :D
The first time I played XII I hated it, but I gave it another chance and it's become my favorite Final Fantasy game out of them all. Probably also because I love sidequests and oh boy does XII reward you for sidequests and sequence breaking. :D

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Neronium said:
-Dragmire- said:

The international version of Final Fantasy XII adds a bit more like Tactics when it comes to the license boards. The International version of 12 adds a class system for the license boards and each one is unique. You can't change the board unfortunately, but if you're tactical with who gets what Summon then you're classes can start to blend. For example, if you give your Knight a certain Esper, then he can possibly learn White Magic. :D
The first time I played XII I hated it, but I gave it another chance and it's become my favorite Final Fantasy game out of them all. Probably also because I love sidequests and oh boy does XII reward you for sidequests and sequence breaking. :D
Oh, it wasn't the mechanics that put me off, I didn't care for the story or the characters. I can push through almost any system if I like the characters but FF XII didn't grab me in that respect so it didn't seem worth the effort.

VonBrewskie

Apr 9, 2009
Ooooooh. Tactics is my favorite. My number one favorite. (I like black mages, can you tell?) This is exciting.

Crimsonmonkeywar

Oct 27, 2013
I as soon as I get paid I'm putting my money in the hat. I've been holding out on kickstarters waiting for a good one like this to pop up. I've wanted a sequel to FFT for over a decade, and this seems like the closest I'll ever get. I'll take it.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Ah Matsuno, by far the best writer that gaming currently has (and I say that with NO hyperbole). Though what's really funny is that he's never bragged about it and his games are never simplified when it comes to game mechanics (seriously, Tactics Ogre is so dense it has its own gravitational field). Even his simpler titles like Madworld and The Crimson Shroud are head and shoulders above most games. It does sound like with this he's doing another one of his political epics which I've missed (seriously wish he'd get the chance to finish the Ogre Battle Saga). Anyway, already backed it and I'm hoping we get 3DS and Vita support with it. Wish they'd put those two goals a lot lower.

FloodOne

Apr 29, 2009
If this gets close to the Vita stretch goal, I'm in. Otherwise, I'll wait for it to come out on Steam.

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Aiddon said:
Ah Matsuno, by far the best writer that gaming currently has (and I say that with NO hyperbole). Though what's really funny is that he's never bragged about it and his games are never simplified when it comes to game mechanics (seriously, Tactics Ogre is so dense it has its own gravitational field). Even his simpler titles like Madworld and The Crimson Shroud are head and shoulders above most games. It does sound like with this he's doing another one of his political epics which I've missed (seriously wish he'd get the chance to finish the Ogre Battle Saga). Anyway, already backed it and I'm hoping we get 3DS and Vita support with it. Wish they'd put those two goals a lot lower.
He did Crimson Shroud too? Nice! I didn't know that.

Monsterfurby

Mar 7, 2008
As much as I'd like, I can't bring myself to fund another tactical RPG after already backing Liege.