Final Fantasy VII is Now on Steam (But Not in Japan)

Robetid

Feb 1, 2013
I would like to eventually see all the titels make it to steam, It would make for an awesome FF sale. My personal favorite was IX and I refuse to gush until it is availble.

Zer0Saber

Aug 20, 2008
I had the original PC release back in the day, and this game blew my mind when I played it on my Win98 2GB HDD PC. Every night I had to keep playing. Sadly I missed most of the side stuff my first play through just because I was plowing through the story. I got to Sephiroth while my team was in the LV30s. I ran from most of the battles in the crater. It took countless tries but I eventually beat him. My characters only had like 3000ish HP and died in one hit each from his physical attack when fighting his final form. I saved up a lot of megalixirs. and the first time I beat the game I was fighting Sephiroth and was about to use a megalixir, he cast super nova, Cloud became confused and threw the damn thing at Sephiroth, but somehow I still beat him after that.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
There is a market for it. However, it is a bit of a dodgey one. See, the people that would buy it are those who don't still have it, but feel the need for it. Also, there's still those who just never played it and always wanted to.

I still have it, so what I'm really waiting on is a possible true remake, one with everything updated and maybe extras.

Sep 14, 2009
kiri2tsubasa said:
Maybe I am missing something, but, just who are they trying to sell this to? The people that have played this game will either:
A: Still have the game
B: Not interested in getting it

Just who are they trying to sell this to. Good luck selling it to someone in there teens.
at least for a few days, it's been the top selling game (top 2 now) on steam...so obviously people are buying it up.
Adam Jensen said:
I've never played any of the FF games. Might as well give this one a try, seeing how much it's praised by everyone including my grandmother.
it's...a different beast, if you enjoy turn based (there are timers for the turns, but it is turn based all the same) rpg style combat, then you'll probably enjoy the game somewhat, but it definitely takes a bit of nostalgia to get into.

also, even though it is cheating, i recommend using their boosters to get rid of some of the grinding, it can be a pain in a few spots if your having a tough time and just want to get through the story/to the battles.

Personally I enjoyed it, but I couldn't fault someone if they didn't like it.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Adam Jensen said:
I've never played any of the FF games. Might as well give this one a try, seeing how much it's praised by everyone including my grandmother.
Try not to go in with TOO high of expectations. Keep in mind that 90% of the praise you're hearing is based on nostalgia. Not to say that it doesn't deserve a lot of the praise it gets, mind.

Arqus_Zed

Aug 12, 2009
I own the PSOne and the PSN version, so I'm think I'll just skip this one. Besides, if you play the game without the nostalgia-goggles, you'll notice it hasn't aged well. The pre-rendered CG-backgrounds are a pixelated nightmare, the character models are horrendous and don't seem to have any actual texturing. Of course, that's just the visuals and we all know the visuals are far from the most important aspect of a game - except when the graphics are so bad I need to activate the markers to see where I can and can't go. Sure, polygon models and CG backdrops were mind-blowing at the time of its release, but man, the years haven't been kind.

Then there's the plot. Just like its (partially cyberpunk) setting, it's rather original and interesting - but at the same time inconsistent, bizarre and illogical. And disturbing, everyone seems to remember the "devastating" Sephiroth/Aeris moment, but nobody seems to remember Hojo trying to force a mating process between Aeris and Red XIII in a sick attempt to make sure both races would survive. Bestiality! You know, for the kids!

The only thing that FF VII did right and still holds up today, is the materia system. While the combat itself hasn't aged well either, the whole "create your own job"-concept was something that hadn't been done before and (truth be told) they pulled it of marvelously.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Oh good lord, not this game again. What is it with gamers and this game? I played it back in the day and I was SO god damn bored I put it down 3+ hours in. These completely unlikable, un-relateable characters kept gabbing on about something so important I needed to run around randomly encountering shit for hours on end. It was like Pokemon but with more grind and not enough sandshrews.

EstrogenicMuscle

Sep 7, 2012
mechalynx said:
Hope it comes to GOG too.
As much as I love Steam, this really would be amazing and the most perfect version.

Because it would be completely DRM free. I don't know how they would work with the cloud saves thing with it, though. Maybe that could just drop it altogether for that version. It would be fine with me. As much as cloud saving is nice, it isn't really worth signing in for.
Covarr said:
I'm going to make this as clear as I can:

THE SECONDARY DRM IS NOT DRM AT ALL.
Agreed. The only reason it is there is for the cloud saving feature.

You basically only have to sign in once, which is easy if you've ever signed up for Facebook at all. And then your computer remembers it forever and you never have to sign in again. You don't ever have to be online to be signed in. Your computer just remembers it forever.

I've noticed there's been a lot of people on Steam complaining that the copy is double DRM laden. But really, it isn't. The game is completely playable in Steam's offline mode. You just have to sign in to Steam, download the game from Steam, sign in once, and then that's that. You can play Final Fantasy VII forever after in Steam's offline mode after that.

That being said, it is kind of annoying to ever even have to sign in once. Still, I'd take this over the Square Enix store version any day.