Final Fantasy VII re-release is available now!

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
You can save a couple of bucks too. There's a promo price of $9.99 instead of $11.99. In the US:

http://store.na.square-enix.com/store/sqenixus/en_US/pd/productID.250845500#.UCpzV6NA5lb

In Europe:

https://store.eu.square-enix.com/emea_europe/pc-windows-download/FINAL-FANTASY-VII.php

TehCookie

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2008
Ahaha, cloud saves... I don't know why but it made my chuckle.

Already own the PS1 version though, that's good enough for me.

teqrevisited

Mar 17, 2010
I'll wait for the verdict. I'm neck deep in FF7 copies so I can stand to wait & see how well it runs and whatnot.

Jack Rascal

May 16, 2011
I already own a copy, original PS1, so I'm not interested in the PC re-release. It doesn't cost that much, but it's still a bit useless for me. I would definitely buy it, if they made an actual re-make.

4RM3D

May 10, 2011
I still have the original crappy PC port. Is this version any better? Does it have proper gamepad support? And what about the possible screen resolutions?

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
4RM3D said:
I still have the original crappy PC port. Is this version any better? Does it have proper gamepad support? And what about the possible screen resolutions?
I am using a wired 360 pad and it worked without any setup. The original works with the 360 pad too but I believe you have to actually set it up (not difficult though).

The movies and the characters look slightly better but the pre-rendered backgrounds don't look so good at 1920x1080 and that's keeping the aspect ratio. I bet it looks worse if I stretched it. I just turned on triple buffering in the NVidia option, I hope it improves the backgrounds. Part of me thinks that it won't help since they are pre-rendered. Maybe someone with knowledge could clarify that.

The music is ok. I am not one who complained about the music on the original PC release though.

Pearwood

Mar 24, 2010
Crono1973 said:
The movies and the characters look slightly better but the pre-rendered backgrounds don't look so good at 1920x1080 and that's keeping the aspect ratio. I bet it looks worse if I stretched it. I just turned on triple buffering in the NVidia option, I hope it improves the backgrounds. Part of me thinks that it won't help since they are pre-rendered. Maybe someone with knowledge could clarify that.
I can't really give technical advice but I picked this up ages ago on PSN and as far as I know it's basically the same game. You're stretching it far beyond what was possible at the time, it might be best to just lower the resolution.

Sep 14, 2009
Matthew94 said:
£8 and with DRM slapped on it? Thanks but no thanks.
jeesh and i thought i was a cheap bastard, that's two threads within like 10 minutes that i've seen you post a single digit number being too expensive for a game..

OT: I'll probably get it this fall, but right now paying an extra 2000 out of pocket for tuition has put my gaming funds on a massive hold.

Sep 14, 2009
Matthew94 said:
gmaverick019 said:
Matthew94 said:
£8 and with DRM slapped on it? Thanks but no thanks.
jeesh and i thought i was a cheap bastard, that's two threads within like 10 minutes that i've seen you post a single digit number being too expensive for a game..

OT: I'll probably get it this fall, but right now paying an extra 2000 out of pocket for tuition has put my gaming funds on a massive hold.
What was the other one?

Anyway. FFVII is over a decade old, I'm not paying £8 for it especially when I paid only about £7 for it on the PS store about 3 years ago. There is no benefit to getting this version especially as I can only play it on PC. The PSN version worked on my PS3 and PSP and you know, came out about 3 years ago.

Now? Not worth it.
the dark souls one i believe? maybe your post was older than that, but it was the thread I had read right before opening this one, and you were front page both times, which is why i noticed.

And that's fine, it's just in your OP you listed the money and DRM like it was your only two things stopping you from getting it is all, not that you had a copy that you had gotten years ago and had found cheaper on the psn store.

userwhoquitthesite

Jul 23, 2009
Ghostwise said:
The only reason to get this would be for the epic remake mods out there. Some of them just look phenomenal. You can mod the hell out of the PC version and make it look like Advent Children. :D
Which would be impossible.

But, that does illustrate my thoughts on how there is no point to purchasing this ever, unless it is the ONLY way you have to play FFVII

go-10

Feb 3, 2010
how mod friendly is it?
can we expect a fan made remake now at least?

ChildishLegacy

Apr 16, 2010
8-Bit_Jack said:
Ghostwise said:
The only reason to get this would be for the epic remake mods out there. Some of them just look phenomenal. You can mod the hell out of the PC version and make it look like Advent Children. :D
Which would be impossible.

But, that does illustrate my thoughts on how there is no point to purchasing this ever, unless it is the ONLY way you have to play FFVII
It is a lot easier for somebody that doesn't have a ps1/2/3/p, I know i'd rather just spent a bit of money to get a PC version than set up an entire console for it, but I can see why this is useless for a lot of people.

I'm wanting to replay it and I don't know if I should wait for it's release on vita or get it now :/

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
GZGoten said:
how mod friendly is it?
can we expect a fan made remake now at least?
Depends on how much they've changed since the original PC release. The old PC version has effectively been an HD remake now for years, thanks to all of the updated models, textures, and renderers that the modding community has made. The way I see it, there's two reasons to get this: 1.) you don't have an original PS1 copy and also lack a PS3 or PSP to get the PSN version, or 2.) you have all that, but are banking on the mods becoming available at some point.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
I'm actually a little tempted by this. I've still got my PS1 copy but the discs aren't as pristine as they used to be, causing the occasional freezing and whatnot. But then I could always just download it from the PS Store.

Overusedname

Emcee: the videogame video guy
Jun 26, 2012
Unless they actually changed the pacing, I think I'll still loose motivation shortly after leaving Midgar.

Looks pretty though, and I'm glad square finally did this for the peeps who enjoy the game. Have fun folks!

I'm still waiting for my HD FF9, personally.