Final Fantasy VII Remake: Reviews and ImpressionsThread

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Meiam said:
hanselthecaretaker said:
I never understood how people get their knickers in a bunch so badly over entertainment. There?s a distinction between hardcore ?fans? and ?fanatics? who don?t agree with the people that dedicate a good chunk of their lives both professional and personally towards making the products they?re shitting on. As long as it functions as intended, maybe try taking the artistic choices with a grain of salt and accept it for what it is.

If they have that much of an issue with how any game is designed, perhaps their lives need some hardcore re-examining until they learn to chill the fuck out. That or learn to make games themselves so they can walk a mile or two in those shoes.
I never understood how people get their knickers in a bunch so badly over what other people think of entertainment. Perhaps your life need some hardcore re-examination until you learn to chill the fuck out. See how stupid that is to say?
Spewing negative energy into the air based on limited, short-sighted understanding of something is the source of the issue, not someone calling it for what it is.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
stroopwafel said:
hanselthecaretaker said:
I never understood how people get their knickers in a bunch so badly over entertainment. There?s a distinction between hardcore ?fans? and ?fanatics? who don?t agree with the people that dedicate a good chunk of their lives both professional and personally towards making the products they?re shitting on. As long as it functions as intended, maybe try taking the artistic choices with a grain of salt and accept it for what it is.

If they have that much of an issue with how any game is designed, perhaps their lives need some hardcore re-examining until they learn to chill the fuck out. That or learn to make games themselves so they can walk a mile or two in those shoes.
Very well said. Agree 100% It always annoyed me how dismissive some gamers are or how they are shitting on developers while they themselves don't have a creative bone in their body and live insignificant lives. Then again it's also a multi billion dollar industry that sells a product so there is this element of 'consumer entitlement' as well. I do believe it's a fine balance as some fan or public backlash have had a positive impact like curbing lootbox games or promoting SP titles where fans do play a role as they are pretty much free marketing. Don't think we would have either RE2/3 Remake or FF7 Remake if cries from fans weren't so loud.

Anyways I'm massively enjoying FF7 Remake. Absolutely monumental achievement that does bring back that same magic as the original. Personally I really like the 'twist'. Without going into detail it feels like a meta-commentary on the passage of time. It really does make it feel less like an 'episode 1' and more like it's own thing entirely.
Yeah if it?s a shit practice that preys on consumers? then people have every right to raise their voices. I was mainly referring to stuff like ?Not liking how FF7 Remake turned out?. I have to wait a few days yet as Amazon moved my delivery back to the 14th. Will be looking forward to this then, and hope to finish the main story of Dark Souls 3 in the meantime.

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
Ok it's a bit weirdo in the end. Also the characters are overpowered af by that time. Midgar Zolom would be a joke. It takes a crap on the original, but only at the end.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Think I'll wait till the whole finished narrative is out in one collection before starting. I've no strong desire to get in on it anytime soon, no interest in briefly passing discourse, no emotional ties to the original having never played it, demo was fine but nothing mind-blowing to force the paws into a purchase. Also been burnt on unfinished squeenix stories before. As long as it takes, don't matter.

dscross

Elite Member
Legacy
May 14, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Neurotic Void Melody said:
Think I'll wait till the whole finished narrative is out in one collection before starting. I've no strong desire to get in on it anytime soon, no interest in briefly passing discourse, no emotional ties to the original having never played it, demo was fine but nothing mind-blowing to force the paws into a purchase. Also been burnt on unfinished squeenix stories before. As long as it takes, don't matter.
I completed ff7 a long time ago but never felt the same buzz about it that many people seemed to. It's good but I'd take 6, 4, 8 and 9 over it any day. I played the demo of this new one and wasn't wowed. I feel like a lot of reviewers have an emotional tie to this game and aren't objectively looking at the flaws or doing the complete opposite and getting angry at changes. There's too much emotion tied up in this one for me to get a proper picture of what this new game is actually like. Think I'll wait for a huge price drop unless I find multiple people who can be genuinely objective to tell me their thoughts on it.

dscross

Elite Member
Legacy
May 14, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
I don't usually like What Culture (in fact I don't rate this guy at all) but I found this review quite interesting because he seems to come at it from a more of a level headed perspective rather than either showering it with praise or doing a dump on it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6lNJymFeYA

balladbird

Master of Lancer
Legacy
Jan 25, 2012
Country
United States
dscross said:
I completed ff7 a long time ago but never felt the same buzz about it that many people seemed to. It's good but I'd take 6, 4, 8 and 9 over it any day. I played the demo of this new one and wasn't wowed. I feel like a lot of reviewers have an emotional tie to this game and aren't objectively looking at the flaws or doing the complete opposite and getting angry at changes. There's too much emotion tied up in this one for me to get a proper picture of what this new game is actually like. Think I'll wait for a huge price drop unless I find multiple people who can be genuinely objective to tell me their thoughts on it.
Honestly, same. Part of it is that I came to RPGs super, *duper* late in life. I had an NES when I was a small child... like 3-5, but mom saw how much I seemed to grow addicted to it and got rid of it, not letting us have another one until I was in middle school. By the time I realized there could be story based games, FF8 and 9 had already been released, and I played both before 7, liking both more. I get that liking FF8 is something of a controversial stance on the internet, but I can't help it, man... it was my first RPG.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I'm really digging it so far (about 3 and a half hours in).

I wasn't going to bother with, since I have no real history with the original game and the demo didn't do too much for me. But yeah, I actually quite like it.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
Man that random moment with Cloud in Tifa's bar and Tifa's theme on the jukebox didn't leave me untouched. I don't think I ever felt a more stark reminder how quickly time passes us by.

Absolute dream game btw.

CritialGaming

Mar 25, 2015
stroopwafel said:
Man that random moment with Cloud in Tifa's bar and Tifa's theme on the jukebox didn't leave me untouched. I don't think I ever felt a more stark reminder how quickly time passes us by.

Absolute dream game btw.
I don't think a game has made me laugh, and cry, as much as this game has.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
hanselthecaretaker said:

You don't need to be a chef to say whether a meal is good or bad.