Final Fantasy VII Remake Will Include "Dramatic" Changes

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
gonenow3 said:
Yes that is half the fun. But when that option is obtained stupidly early (AKA as soon as you get Cait Sith) and the game becomes literally just 1 button for all fights then it is a problem. Options and strategy are what a JRPG should be not spam 1 button which is what FF7 was. For all the hate you are throwing at FF13 at least it required actual tactics and thought going into a battle and DURING a battle rather than you relying on the same strategy with no change up depending on the fight. FF7 was really repetitive and has aged pretty poorly while other JRPGs have adapted and added much needed depth to the genre. Change is for the good in this aspect.
not often I get to say this, BUUUUUTTTT

'Now lemme tell you why that's bullshit'

First off all, you keep mention Cait Sith, the one character who probably gets less play then 'little miss useless and dies at the end of disk 1'. Secondly, Cait Siths slots is a LIMIT BREAK. So you can't use them every fight, if you are your ether playing sub optimally, and taking way to much damage, or using a cheat device. Not that it matters, there are better was of sweeping a fight then Slots even in the early game. You get Comet pretty early to as I recall and that wrecks everything as well, and with out having to waste time on the timing for those Slots you seem to have such a massive hard on for.

Not to mention I've never seen a guide for Ruby or Emerald prefaced with 'or use Slots', which I'm sure they would if it was really the end all be all your mistakenly thinking it is.

As for that abomination of a combat system 13 uses. *snickers* You really wanna go there? Alright ...

You can set that up to require NO input on your part, save the odd boss that requires you to kill something other then the main target first, you don't even need to touch a controller once the battle starts, if you know what your doing. That's not really an upgrade, and it's something no one really wanted, or wants to see back, as it wasn't change for the sake of making the combat better, it was change for the sake of making it more 'cinematic' which is worse then change for the sake of change, cause at that point why buy the game when you can get the exact same experience from watching it on YouTube.

and you really wanna see them do that to this 'classic'? hashtagFF6isbetterthen7

zinho73

Feb 3, 2011
There is absolute no point whatsoever to make a remake with "dramatic" changes. 90% of your focus should be on graphics, animations and UI. 5% should be focus in more of the same - more weapons, more materia, more characters, more areas to explore and so on. And the last 5% on balance.

If you want to change anything about gameplay - please, make another game. We like those too.

Chaos Isaac

Jun 27, 2013
Silentpony said:
Oh good. DLC to keep Aeris alive.
I've always said the cliche characters, predictable plot, repetitive combat, and exceptionally corny JRPG dialogue would have been SO much better if that one chick had survived.

But in all seriousness, are they serious? There is nothing they can add that will stop this game from bombing. The problem isn't lack of content, its that nostalgia has warped so many minds and people forget just how boring that game was, and that it was only considered good because of the time period/other games that were around at its release.
There have been so many better games since '97 that this remake will fly as well as a lead balloon at the event horizon of a blackhole.
Wow, you're salty about FF7, aren't ya. But, I guess by your logic... all the classics aren't good because we have better games now-a-days.

Flawless. Thinking.

gonenow3

May 2, 2015
Lunar Templar said:
gonenow3 said:
Yes that is half the fun. But when that option is obtained stupidly early (AKA as soon as you get Cait Sith) and the game becomes literally just 1 button for all fights then it is a problem. Options and strategy are what a JRPG should be not spam 1 button which is what FF7 was. For all the hate you are throwing at FF13 at least it required actual tactics and thought going into a battle and DURING a battle rather than you relying on the same strategy with no change up depending on the fight. FF7 was really repetitive and has aged pretty poorly while other JRPGs have adapted and added much needed depth to the genre. Change is for the good in this aspect.
not often I get to say this, BUUUUUTTTT

'Now lemme tell you why that's bullshit'

First off all, you keep mention Cait Sith, the one character who probably gets less play then 'little miss useless and dies at the end of disk 1'. Secondly, Cait Siths slots is a LIMIT BREAK. So you can't use them every fight, if you are your ether playing sub optimally, and taking way to much damage, or using a cheat device. Not that it matters, there are better was of sweeping a fight then Slots even in the early game. You get Comet pretty early to as I recall and that wrecks everything as well, and with out having to waste time on the timing for those Slots you seem to have such a massive hard on for.

Not to mention I've never seen a guide for Ruby or Emerald prefaced with 'or use Slots', which I'm sure they would if it was really the end all be all your mistakenly thinking it is.

As for that abomination of a combat system 13 uses. *snickers* You really wanna go there? Alright ...

You can set that up to require NO input on your part, save the odd boss that requires you to kill something other then the main target first, you don't even need to touch a controller once the battle starts, if you know what your doing. That's not really an upgrade, and it's something no one really wanted, or wants to see back, as it wasn't change for the sake of making the combat better, it was change for the sake of making it more 'cinematic' which is worse then change for the sake of change, cause at that point why buy the game when you can get the exact same experience from watching it on YouTube.

and you really wanna see them do that to this 'classic'? hashtagFF6isbetterthen7
Except you can use slots every single fight because that is what is done in speedruns because its the go to strategy in all scenarios. Limit breaks are rather easy to spam in FF7 if you just abuse Fury / Sadness effects so I don't know why you are saying that you can't just spam them on every boss. Guides probably don't state use slots because:

A) It was only found out that slots were 100% consistent fairly recently (Like 2010?)
B) Most guides aren't that knowledgeable when it comes to optimized combat.

Even if you're not using slots then Powersoul is better than all other combat options as that out damages everything for a very long time and then doesn't have to deal with the long animations of the "strong" abilities so its still strictly better in all scenarios.

Sure FF13 can play itself if you let it especially early on. If you were skipping encounters which is something you actually can do in FF13 over FF7 then you can't meaning you'd have to actually learn the combat system. Basically you're complaining about over leveling and the game being too easy. Also auto played battles would take years compared to just playing it normally so the combat system actively encourages you to get involved and adapt to the situation. FF7 will always be repetitive and every boss be the same if you played optimally which is the reason speedrunners state that FF13 is the skill based FF of the series.

Again if the combat isn't changed i'm just watching cutscenes on youtube. I have my PS1 version and I have my PC version and I have my steam version. Hell I have my PSP version if I really want it. I love FF7 but i'm not going to blindly say that its combat system is good compared to the more engaging FF13 so if the combat isn't changed significantly i'd just youtube it because at this point there isn't a point in buying it if its not changed since I can just play any one of the four versions I have currently.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
I'm okay with changes. If I wanted a game exactly like FFVII, I could just play FFVII. I'll wait and see before making any judgements.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
gonenow3 said:
Except you can use slots every single fight because that is what is done in speedruns
really with that ...

Speed runners ...

your going to counter with Speed Runners ... the one group of gamers that actively hunt down exploits and abuse the shit out of them to beat the game in the quickest manner possible ... and that's what your basing your 'they need to change the combat system' on?

are you fucking serious.

Not that it matters, I highly doubt the average player gives a shit about Cait Sith enough to figure out the timing of the Slots, why would they? Every one else has cooler looking LBs and they are gonna wanna watch Satellite Cannon (or was it Beam, I forget off hand) or Omni Slash far more then Slots.

Sure FF13 can play itself if you let it especially early on. If you were skipping encounters which is something you actually can do in FF13 over FF7 then you can't meaning you'd have to actually learn the combat system. Basically you're complaining about over leveling and the game being too easy. Also auto played battles would take years compared to just playing it normally so the combat system actively encourages you to get involved and adapt to the situation. FF7 will always be repetitive and every boss be the same if you played optimally which is the reason speedrunners state that FF13 is the skill based FF of the series.
again with the speed runners ...

you just keep acting like the average person playing will care enough to dive that deep. Besides, just cause you can play FF13 skillfully, doesn't mean people are going to, or going to care to.

Again, your basing your whole argument on what a very few players are doing. Try basing it on what a normal player would do. I've beat FF7 lots of times, and never once did I even bother with that stupid stuffed abomination, and I'm sure there are many more like me that won't touch it no matter how 'OP' it supposedly is.

Again if the combat isn't changed i'm just watching cutscenes on youtube. I have my PS1 version and I have my PC version and I have my steam version. Hell I have my PSP version if I really want it. I love FF7 but i'm not going to blindly say that its combat system is good compared to the more engaging FF13 so if the combat isn't changed significantly i'd just youtube it because at this point there isn't a point in buying it if its not changed since I can just play any one of the four versions I have currently.
to be brutally honest.

I couldn't give a fuck less what you want since your basically for them fucking up the game with one of the worst combat systems Square ever made. FF7's combat might need to be tweaked, but ripping it out for something as needlessly complicated as 13s is just plain stupid.

And for the record, if they do go with a system like 13's not only am I not buying it, I'm not even gonna watch it on YouTube. I don't like FF7 enough to feel like I'm missing out on something for skipping it due to poor choices on the part of the Dev team.

Besides, if they're making 'drastic' changes here, I can only imagine how badly they're gonna fuck up the characters/story, especially Cloud. I don't see this remaking ending well for his character arc.

gonenow3

May 2, 2015
Lunar Templar said:
gonenow3 said:
Except you can use slots every single fight because that is what is done in speedruns
really with that ...

Speed runners ...

your going to counter with Speed Runners ... the one group of gamers that actively hunt down exploits and abuse the shit out of them to beat the game in the quickest manner possible ... and that's what your basing your 'they need to change the combat system' on?

are you fucking serious.

Not that it matters, I highly doubt the average player gives a shit about Cait Sith enough to figure out the timing of the Slots, why would they? Every one else has cooler looking LBs and they are gonna wanna watch Satellite Cannon (or was it Beam, I forget off hand) or Omni Slash far more then Slots.

again with the speed runners ...

you just keep acting like the average person playing will care enough to dive that deep. Besides, just cause you can play FF13 skillfully, doesn't mean people are going to, or going to care to.

Again, your basing your whole argument on what a very few players are doing. Try basing it on what a normal player would do. I've beat FF7 lots of times, and never once did I even bother with that stupid stuffed abomination, and I'm sure there are many more like me that won't touch it no matter how 'OP' it supposedly is.

to be brutally honest.

I couldn't give a fuck less what you want since your basically for them fucking up the game with one of the worst combat systems Square ever made. FF7's combat might need to be tweaked, but ripping it out for something as needlessly complicated as 13s is just plain stupid.

And for the record, if they do go with a system like 13's not only am I not buying it, I'm not even gonna watch it on YouTube. I don't like FF7 enough to feel like I'm missing out on something for skipping it due to poor choices on the part of the Dev team.

Besides, if they're making 'drastic' changes here, I can only imagine how badly they're gonna fuck up the characters/story, especially Cloud. I don't see this remaking ending well for his character arc.
Personally I don't give a shit about cool looking animations. They are cool exactly once after that they become tiring and boring to keep watching which is why I hate summons because the damage output is not worth the time invested.

I use speedrunners because surprisingly enough they are the people who understand game mechanics the most. No other area of gaming understands game mechanics more than speedrunners sure a casual player isn't going to realize you can abuse cait Sith's slots or use Power soul or basically any of the other broken strats that the game has but at the end of the day the game is fairly broken if you actually look into the system and isn't nearly as complex as you make it out to be.

If wanting a change with my FF7 is for ruining the game then yes i want them to fuck up the game. Because if they fuck up the remake guess what? I still have my PS1 etc version. They'll still exist. They'll still be the versions of the game people will love and cherish. It won't stop FF7 being a good game. FFXHD is a fucking disaster but people still love FFXSD same with KH2FM vs KH2.5. You think that the game they are creating here is going to impact on the original which to be perfectly honest it isn't. There is no reason for the remake to happen if everything is the same.

JohnZ117

A blind man before the Elephant
Jun 19, 2012
Silentpony said:
Oh good. DLC to keep Aeris alive.
I've always said the cliche characters, predictable plot, repetitive combat, and exceptionally corny JRPG dialogue would have been SO much better if that one chick had survived.
Based on what I've seen over at DeviantArt, it would have been more of a tearjerker if Aerith had killed Sephiroth.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
gonenow3 said:
Personally I don't give a shit about cool looking animations. They are cool exactly once after that they become tiring and boring to keep watching which is why I hate summons because the damage output is not worth the time invested.

I use speedrunners because surprisingly enough they are the people who understand game mechanics the most. No other area of gaming understands game mechanics more than speedrunners sure a casual player isn't going to realize you can abuse cait Sith's slots or use Power soul or basically any of the other broken strats that the game has but at the end of the day the game is fairly broken if you actually look into the system and isn't nearly as complex as you make it out to be.
Never said it was complex, just not as fucked as you make it out to be.

Speed Runners also aren't the average player. Again you shouldn't be calling for a rebalanced to a game just cause a a small group of them really know how to abuse the fuck out of it.

If wanting a change with my FF7 is for ruining the game then yes i want them to fuck up the game. Because if they fuck up the remake guess what? I still have my PS1 etc version. They'll still exist. They'll still be the versions of the game people will love and cherish. It won't stop FF7 being a good game. FFXHD is a fucking disaster but people still love FFXSD same with KH2FM vs KH2.5. You think that the game they are creating here is going to impact on the original which to be perfectly honest it isn't. There is no reason for the remake to happen if everything is the same.
and when it fails and we don't get the remakes of games that deserve it as well, it'll be all on you for wanting to fix want was never really broken to begin with cause of want a small portion of the fan base is doing.

There's no reason for the remake to happen if the changes are going to piss off the majority of the fan base ether.

Tony2077

Dec 19, 2007
oh i can't wait for this to come out and see if it will be as bad as some people say

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
gonenow3 said:
No matter how you spin it judging a games system by how badly 'speed runners' figure out how to exploit it is just never a good idea. These people dedicate a whole lot of replaying the game over and over figuring out how to best exploit and destroy the game, and end up playing the game in a manner that like 99.9% of gamers will never see. By all means criticize the game, there are plenty of flaws to look at and it is overall pretty easy, but the exploitative speed runner method is just a dumb thing to pick up on.

Anyways for the actual remake topic, I'm not too concerned as I was never that big a FFVII fan anyways and never cared about getting a remake. But this does a good job highlighting what seems to be an insecurity Square has: with the way they started shunning turn-based battle systems following FFX it almost feels like they're treating their past roots as some shameful thing.

I mean on the Enix side there's a new Dragon Quest game coming out and the battle system doesn't look any different than it's always been. But whenever Square makes a console game now (I'm excluding handhelds here) they always have to come up with some big convoluted battle system. Personally I didn't mind FFXII, but I thought FFXIII's was kind of a mess.

gonenow3

May 2, 2015
Lunar Templar said:
gonenow3 said:

Never said it was complex, just not as fucked as you make it out to be.

Speed Runners also aren't the average player. Again you shouldn't be calling for a rebalanced to a game just cause a a small group of them really know how to abuse the fuck out of it.

and when it fails and we don't get the remakes of games that deserve it as well, it'll be all on you for wanting to fix want was never really broken to begin with cause of want a small portion of the fan base is doing.

There's no reason for the remake to happen if the changes are going to piss off the majority of the fan base ether.
People are getting better at JRPGs though and its becoming easier and easier for people to spot flaws in a combat system and how to openly take advantage of them. Pretty much everyone rushed to ChiChu in 13-2 that I know and Balloon in KH3D etc etc etc. So I think a revamp is needed regardless (You can't honestly say that FF7 wasn't too easy even playing it casually its one of the biggest issues)

As far as pissing off the fan base goes the fan base shouldn't be getting pissed off over this period. The remake isn't a remastering and at the end of the day its probably going to make FF7 more accessible to a younger audience which is only good in the long run. FF7 fans should never have expected the exact same game from a REMAKE.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
gonenow3 said:
People are getting better at JRPGs though and its becoming easier and easier for people to spot flaws in a combat system and how to openly take advantage of them. Pretty much everyone rushed to ChiChu in 13-2 that I know and Balloon in KH3D etc etc etc. So I think a revamp is needed regardless (You can't honestly say that FF7 wasn't too easy even playing it casually its one of the biggest issues)
I'm legitimately curious as to what makes you then I know what a ChiChu or 'Balloon' are. I'm even more curious why it needs to be 'harder' to be better.

besides, even if the general skill level of the average JRPG player is higher then before, there's still a huge difference in skill between a guy that playing the game for fun, and a guy who gets his fun by studying the game for things he can exploit to beat it in the fastest time possible.

I mean, do you really not understand the difference there?

As far as pissing off the fan base goes the fan base shouldn't be getting pissed off over this period. The remake isn't a remastering and at the end of the day its probably going to make FF7 more accessible to a younger audience which is only good in the long run. FF7 fans should never have expected the exact same game from a REMAKE.
except that's what they want. They same game just prettier. How have you missed that?

and directed at the bolded; So the Cloud that would crack a joke now and then and let loose a 'lets mousy', is getting replaced with 'Emo Cloud' then? Fantastic

gonenow3

May 2, 2015
Lunar Templar said:
gonenow3 said:
I'm legitimately curious as to what makes you then I know what a ChiChu or 'Balloon' are. I'm even more curious why it needs to be 'harder' to be better.

besides, even if the general skill level of the average JRPG player is higher then before, there's still a huge difference in skill between a guy that playing the game for fun, and a guy who gets his fun by studying the game for things he can exploit to beat it in the fastest time possible.

I mean, do you really not understand the difference there?

except that's what they want. They same game just prettier. How have you missed that?

and directed at the bolded; So the Cloud that would crack a joke now and then and let loose a 'lets mousy', is getting replaced with 'Emo Cloud' then? Fantastic
Probably because they are things in the FF series/KH and if you are judging a game you judge it by other games made by the developer. If you haven't played all the games in the series then that is kind of on you to learn and research so you have an upto date view point on the genre / developer.

I play for fun. I find it more fun when I am challenged and have options in combat. As a kid (5 years old) I realised that the powersoul weapon was OP and better than everything else in the game. How could I not it was a weapon that did 16 times the normal damage you could do (And then with Hero drinks it went up to 72 times) so you could do 9999 damage with a level 7 Tifa if you really wanted to. From that point on I had 1 combat ability and I never wanted to explore any other options because why would I? Nothing was as powerful as Powersoul (Although powersoul eventually got replaced when fighting weapons just due to its large set up time). If the OP options are so obvious then the rest of the options stop existing thus removing the strategy element from the JRPG.

But what would be the point in just a prettier game? The combat would be the same so there would be no point in playing it because the PS1 version would probably be superior just due to how remakes work typically. People want a prettier version but they'd complain just as much when they realise its the exact same game and its only "benefit" is removed when you realise youtube exists.

Also I have no idea why you think just because something has to be aimed at a younger audience it instantly means emo. They're aiming from anywhere 3+ and most teenagers would probably know what FF is at this point so they either don't care or would pick it up based on its history regardless. If anything Cloud would probably lighten up a tad more which is likely to happen regardless just to fix a bunch of translation quirks

panosbouk

Feb 28, 2011
"Be careful what you wish for."

Many are saying this is not a remaster this is a remake, so you should not expect the same game. Well I will ask you this. What about Monkey Island Special Edition and Tomb Raider Anniversary? Those where remakes, not remasters.

If you go around and make changes to, gameplay, character personalities, story-plot (I hope they will not include Crisis Core) that is a reboot, not a remake.

If we look for example at FFXIII, you see an enemy, engage then into a battlefield screen, or maybe without a transition to a battlefield, but have all 3 party members playable, issue one command at a time, basically FFVII mechanics, with a XIII UI, that is a remake of the old system.

Now if they implement a Crisis Core or KH type of gameplay that is not a remake of the old. That is something different. You might say "I like CC or KH gameplay, it will be nice to see it here", I will ask then this. How are they going to implement the Order command? The games combat mechanics wasn't only the materia but where you position your party members, front line or back.

"The reunion at hand may bring joy, it may bring fear". At least this shows that they know what they are getting into. And I think that they will try and please everyone, causing many to be disappointed. And that is expected. I will not be surprised if I like the end product and others "hate" it.

MonsterCrit

Feb 17, 2015
Silenttalker22 said:
MonsterCrit said:
Aiddon said:
uh, why? There was nothing wrong about FFVII's system and quite frankly all the systems they've done since then (save for FFX) have been either clumsy or just plain bad.
Squeenix. Over designing since forever.

Seriously. Squeenix. You don't have to Fix FF7.... for go'ds sakes it's one of the few FF8 games that you don't have to try fixing. Even the ATB battle system leant a pleasant strategic... wait a minute.... are you just slapping the ff& paint job over a FF you were already working on just to get people to accept it?... Bravo Squeenix, bravo.
You're on to them!
It's sad but they just might have to do that. Most modern gamers simply lack the patience for a classic JRPG like FF7. Yeah it took work and time to grind and sadly, everyone wants everything now.

panosbouk

Feb 28, 2011
MonsterCrit said:
Silenttalker22 said:
MonsterCrit said:
Aiddon said:
uh, why? There was nothing wrong about FFVII's system and quite frankly all the systems they've done since then (save for FFX) have been either clumsy or just plain bad.

Seriously. Squeenix. You don't have to Fix FF7.... for go'ds sakes it's one of the few FF8 games that you don't have to try fixing. Even the ATB battle system leant a pleasant strategic... wait a minute.... are you just slapping the ff& paint job over a FF you were already working on just to get people to accept it?... Bravo Squeenix, bravo.
You're on to them!
It's sad but they just might have to do that. Most modern gamers simply lack the patience for a classic JRPG like FF7. Yeah it took work and time to grind and sadly, everyone wants everything now.
Well it might be true, but what FF7 has to do with "modern gamers"? (This is one of the reasons I thought a remake of FF7 would be a bad idea. If/how you are going to make it for the current RPG standards?)

A big problem SE had in the past years was its financials. Remember when they said Tomb Raider didn't meet the expectations one month after its release, while it had sold around 4mil copies? Plus they had good sales on Hitman. But then a game Bravely Default (witch I haven't played) sold well, received well and I think they had a profit from it.

They are supposed to realize by now what is their target audience per title, and not try and please everyone. Think something like Demon Souls/Dark Souls, a game that had not that many sales but brought money into the company. They know what is their target audience is and have a specific budget. Make it better, make changes but always you should have in mind your actual buyers first and then the potential new ones.

MonsterCrit

Feb 17, 2015
panosbouk said:
MonsterCrit said:
Silenttalker22 said:
MonsterCrit said:
Aiddon said:

You're on to them!
Well it might be true, but what FF7 has to do with "modern gamers"? (This is one of the reasons I thought a remake of FF7 would be a bad idea. If/how you are going to make it for the current RPG standards?)
I never thought a remake was going to be a good thing. since I know how Squeenix works and i've seen some of their other remakes.

A big problem SE had in the past years was its financials. Remember when they said Tomb Raider didn't meet the expectations one month after its release, while it had sold around 4mil copies? Plus they had good sales on Hitman. But then a game Bravely Default (witch I haven't played) sold well, received well and I think they had a profit from it.

They are supposed to realize by now what is their target audience per title, and not try and please everyone. Think something like Demon Souls/Dark Souls, a game that had not that many sales but brought money into the company. They know what is their target audience is and have a specific budget. Make it better, make changes but always you should have in mind your actual buyers first and then the potential new ones.
There's a less than savory reason. I suspect it a bit of internal bilking on the projects. See it can work like this. High anticipated project gets underway, those within the project use the high profile of the project to justify many things that invariably means those in the project get paid more, and more and more.

It's why SQueenix seems to have a bad habit of over designing stuff, both in their visuals and mechanics... because someone on the project is running the meter as it were. Of course those in funding don't see it as bad heck in a sense they're happy to since it makes the project seem more epic and from the marketing perspective it creates the illusion. Wow they're spending this much, Game must be Awesome as Balls".

This of course seems to only happen predictably with their large flagship IP's smaller or new IP of course don't suffer this since they operate on a lean and hungry model.

go-10

Feb 3, 2010
I hope by dramatic they mean they'll upgrade it to better match FF X-2 battle system. Which was imo the best ATB system in the series, fast paced and intuitive AND instead of dress sphere they can make it into party member switching