Final Fantasy VII Spinning Off and Spinning Out

james.sponge

Mar 4, 2013
Just when you thought FF7 spin-offs can't get any more ridiculous what's next submarine simulator? buggy exploration game? tiny bronco sailing cup 2016? FF7 brothel manager? I want to play as a Shinra janitor who cleans the mess after that Sephiroth massacre in the building.

Also why would we want a remake of a subpar overrated game when you have unappreciated gems like FFT that just wait to be modernized and released. Turn-based tactical combat can be successful just look at Divnity: Origina Sin, Wasteland, x-com and soon to be released cRPGs like Eternity and Torment -.- Square-Enix you are a hopeless case.....

Mike Hoffman

In the middle of calibrations...
Sep 25, 2013
james.sponge said:
Also why would we want a remake of a subpar overrated game when you have unappreciated gems like FFT that just wait to be modernized and released.
I actually agree with you. Tactics is easily my favorite game in the Final Fantasy franchise, and definitely one of my favorite games overall. Still, I'm not sure it needs a remake. What I would love is a way to transfer my saves between the four versions I now own - or at least between PSN and mobile.

Still, that said, it's hard to deny the fact that Square would be printing money with a FF7 remake. It's a guaranteed win, so it is really difficult to understand why they don't just do it.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Mike Hoffman said:
Still, that said, it's hard to deny the fact that Square would be printing money with a FF7 remake. It's a guaranteed win, so it is really difficult to understand why they don't just do it.
Wactually ell, Squeenix is the same company that seemingly wants to enter the movie business without entering the movie business. They sacked Sakaguchi for The Spirits Within...and have since gone on to make a long line of mediocre-at-best games crammed with top-flight CGI cutscenes.

Who knows what they're thinking.

james.sponge

Mar 4, 2013
Mike Hoffman said:
james.sponge said:
Also why would we want a remake of a subpar overrated game when you have unappreciated gems like FFT that just wait to be modernized and released.
I actually agree with you. Tactics is easily my favorite game in the Final Fantasy franchise, and definitely one of my favorite games overall. Still, I'm not sure it needs a remake. What I would love is a way to transfer my saves between the four versions I now own - or at least between PSN and mobile.

They could be afraid the remake will be bought only by older fans who look at the game with nostalgia and can look past it's tedious gameplay. FF7 remake would require a serious overhaul not only graphics but also locations, combat system and exploration. I can't possibly imagine people would be willing to grind KOTR to master level with their triple AP growth weapons AGAIN saying "this is genius"

As for the FFT I wouldn't settle for a remake, I'd love to see a proper sequel, taking place, for example, 50 years after the end of the first game. Modernize the combat by mixing things from vagrant story (weapon range, damage to different limbs) and original FFT (more terrain interaction, expanded class system, more skills, stats etc.) and I'm sold :D

Li Mu

Oct 17, 2011
What's the deal with the Crisis Core graphics? CC came out 6 years ago. Don't tell me Square Enix haven't gotten around to updating their engine.

AetherWolf

Jan 1, 2011
So when can we expect a remake of the snowboarding minigame?

Anyway, I've always had a huge fondness for that motorcycle sequence, mostly because of the obvious influence from AKIRA, and to little 8-year-old me it was the coolest thing ever. It's a shame it only showed up at one point of the game, though. Too bad that they still haven't gotten around to resolving the plot strings they'd left hanging with that whole Compilation of FF7 thing. At this point I'm doubting they even have the interest to. Not to mention how long it takes for them to finally get around to releasing a full game these days...

Li Mu said:
What's the deal with the Crisis Core graphics? CC came out 6 years ago. Don't tell me Square Enix haven't gotten around to updating their engine.
While I'm in no way denying that Square Enix has been discernibly lazy in the past decade in more ways than one, making an entirely new set of assets for a simple iPhone game seems like a bit much.

Li Mu

Oct 17, 2011
AetherWolf said:
While I'm in no way denying that Square Enix has been discernibly lazy in the past decade in more ways than one, making an entirely new set of assets for a simple iPhone game seems like a bit much.
Actually, that's a very good point. Now I feel silly for failing to think.

go-10

Feb 3, 2010
AetherWolf said:
actually looking at the video those look like Dissidia models, other than Cloud's new outfit most of these ripped from Dirge of Cerberus, Dissidia, and 3rd Birthday

just kinda wish it had more playable characters like Tifa, Yuffie and Barrett... I guess they'll fix it in the inevitable Snowboarding mini game