Final Fantasy X HD Shows Off Footage

SwOJester

Jul 9, 2012
Daystar Clarion said:
An FF7 remake is out of the question, but 10 is fine?

It's like they don't like money.
Well the thing is, if they were to remake FF7, they'll have to redesign the game and put, dare I say, effort into it.
I mean, why work hard on a good game when you can just take one old game, spit on it, polish it a little and then throw it at the fans who will buy it without questions? Its easier money, simple as that.

VoidWanderer

Sep 17, 2011
Given some of the monumentally stupid choies Square Eniz makes, I am surprised they are still in business.

I mean, I hate what they have done to the recent FF games. Lightning is a character I cannot comprehend other than being the offspring between Cloud and Terra. And the fact that she is involved in her own trilogy is mortifying.

The 'characters' in FFXIII were so painful and I hate how the almighty summons are things you can ride, which is incredibly creepy when Hope rides the Twins!?!??

I am excited for FFX for one reason. Blitzball. That would be a great game in and of itself.

Kingdom Hearts HD needs to come out sooner rather than later.

I am more excited for FF6 to make it to HD than FF7.

Tiamattt

Jul 15, 2011
VoidWanderer said:
I am excited for FFX for one reason. Blitzball. That would be a great game in and of itself.
Oh crap forgot about Blitzball, for some reason I absolutely loved Blitzball. I only hope I'm strong enough to resist the pull of Blitzball in HD......

2HF

May 24, 2011
CardinalPiggles said:
Unfortunately for you, a PS2 will set you back quite considerably nowadays. Better off buying the remake for the PS3 (assuming you have one).
Untrue. $50 at gamestop is the most one ever need pay. It took me all of 2 minutes to find a PS2 with games, GH controllers, and memory cards for $30 on craigslist.

So if Sony decides "hey, $60 cause fuck yous guyses" I'd still be better off with a $50 console, and a $10-$15 copy of FFX cause GTAIII, GTAVC, Splinter Cell, FFXII, and countless others that are worth playing.

If FFXHD launches at $20, maybe even $30, I'll pick it up. If it's $40ish I'll wait for a sale. Anything higher and I'm probably better off with a PS2.

THIS IS ALL ASSUMING THE FINAL PRODUCT LOOKS LIKE THE VIDEO. If it looks remarkably different that I might spring for the HD version. I know I'll get my money's worth.

Danial

Apr 7, 2010
"Why make this HD and not FF7!?" Because making this HD is just adding newer models and upping texture quality, FF7 HD would be a completely new game from the ground up in everything but story. Relatively few people using relatively few resources to make a game that will sell very well as much as people gnash their teeth at it for the crime of not being FF7, vs basically making a brand new game from scratch.

As much as i would kill puppies for a HD remake of 9, I know it's more effort than they are likely to risk.

iniudan

Apr 27, 2011
Daystar Clarion said:

No, I think it more that they like staying alive, it might make the fan tense, but at least it prevent the slightest mistake that would trigger the fan base into using the black materia.

Johnson McGee

Nov 16, 2009
Danial said:
Totally agree, the reason for this is that it was far easier to bump X's graphics up to HD rather than do a complete remake of an earlier ff title. Although it's conceivable that they could re-use assets from the various ff7 offshoots if they remade that particular title.

As much as I would rather they remade another title (cough, Xenogears, cough), at least it isn't another ATB.

KoudelkaMorgan

Jul 31, 2009
FFX was the first FF game I didn't buy, though I rented it twice. I even dodged the lightning 200 times for Lulu's weapon.

It wasn't the first one I didn't like though. I hated 7, liked 8, and 9 was utterly forgettable to me though I liked Vivi and Beatrix.

And I bought and liked FFX-2 for some reason even though I barely even finished it.

So of all the games in their catalogue they choose FFX, and I am not excited. I mean I'd love HD Lulu, Rikku, and Auron as I used them exclusively, but the reason I didn't buy the game is that it just had zero replayability to me. Once you have gone from point A to B and dinked around getting weapons thats pretty much it. That I hated blitzball, the spheregrid, the storyline, and most of the characters also didn't help.

I want, possibly more than anything else from SE, is an HD remake of Vagrant Story. Second would be a new FF Tactics, or a 3DS port of the original.

ScrabbitRabbit

Elite Member
Mar 27, 2012
keiji_Maeda said:
Amethyst Wind said:
They should have trolled all the fans by having the tech demo for the new graphics be the laughing scene.
They redo the voicework or give me an option to cop out into the japanese dub, or i'm not buying squat (imlying one purchaser makes a real difference in the square fiscal plan)

Seriously, the context is that they're miserable and trying to force themselves to laugh to try and feel better. They laugh normally immediately after.

There are so many examples of genuinely bad voice acting in the game, I don't understand why this scene gets picked on.

AndrewC

Jun 24, 2010
"Hurr durr everyone hates FFX, not a single person wants a remake, I'm going to whine over and over."

So many stupid posts here and yet all over this website it is listed by the majority as their top ranking FF game.

Seems to me there's plenty of people excited for a remake. I wonder if it will look any better on PS3 as opposed to the handheld version, all I noticed was some smoother edges and in all honesty it's not like the game looks awful on PS2 anyway, it has aged reasonably well.

lapan

Jan 23, 2009
ShadowKatt said:
Okay...and?

Several points. First off, FFX looked FINE when it came out on the PS2. Quite honestly, it doesn't even look that much better in HD with the exception of some smoothed lines. You're trying to impress, and failing at it.

Secondly, you're remaking FFX and you're putting it on a handheld. Tell me, are you just going to start putting all your games on handhelds now? You've already abandoned the console with your Kingdom Hearts series to pump out a ton of cheap handheld titles, now you're going to do the same with Final Fantasy? I guess we'll see if you follow through to put it on the main console.

And thirdly, I can't believe they're still doing this. Instead of making a new game, they're making an HD version of one they've already made. And instead of making an HD remake of the one game all the fans are clamoring for, they picked one that NO one wanted remade. It's almost as if they are actively sabotaging their own company.
I agree on your first point. I don't see that much of a graphical improvement.

They are still making a PS3 version, the handheld version is mostly for the japanese audience, since portables are more popular there.

They are still making a "new" Final Fantasy, as in more sequels to Final Fantasy 13. The other FF titles have been delayed by the failure and remaking of FF 14.

Daystar Clarion said:
Oh wow! An HD remake of Final Fantasy X? That's the best FF ever! - Nobody, ever.

It's like Squeenix don't even listen to people ¬_¬

To be fair, it's much easier to smooth out a few edges on FF Xs engine than to create an entirely new one for FF7 HD.

YingDerpington

Apr 23, 2012
MiskWisk said:
VanQQisH said:
Eww, that's possibly definitely my least favorite Final Fantasy and that's saying something. Are they going to fix that dub? I can't imagine many people want to suffer through that laugh scene in HD.
Oh come on now, the laugh scene wasn't that bad. The original japanese only gets a break because hardly anyone watches it and it sounds more like a crow is laughing.

Anyway, OT, I do not see the point of this. FFX still looks okay and people are more interested in other titles, namely 7 and Kingdom Hearts 3.
And suddenly I realise that no matter what language we speak, forced and awkward will always be cringe worthy to watch and hear. Thank you for teaching me that FFX's infamous laughing scene will now be even worse in my memory.

FFP2

Dec 24, 2012
Hold up, is this a Vita exclusive? Show the PS3 owners some love too.

I don't really get HD re-releases of PS2 games... PCSX2 can pull the same results for most parts.

Oh well, at least they're updating us on development:)

Tropicaz

Aug 7, 2012
FOr all the people complaining it's X rather than VII, surely it's easier/quicker to make a HD remake of X, which needs a bit of touching up, rather than VII where essentially the entire game has to be redone from scratch. X is probably my favourite FF, I loved it, and i'll certainly be picking this up when it comes out.

Tropicaz

Aug 7, 2012
FFP2 said:
Hold up, is this a Vita exclusive? Show the PS3 owners some love too.

I don't really get HD re-releases of PS2 games... PCSX2 can pull the same results for most parts.

Oh well, at least they're updating us on development:)
From the article:
"Square Enix hopes that it will bring out wallets as well: FFX's HD remake, originally announced two years ago, will hit the PS3 and Vita in the near future"

It is coming for PS3, they just hope some people will be inspired to pick up a Vita because of its release.

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
Amethyst Wind said:
They should have trolled all the fans by having the tech demo for the new graphics be the laughing scene.
I was thinking that exact same thing!

The only thing worse they could have shown would be a few quick cuts of various scenes from X-2

FFP2

Dec 24, 2012
Tropicaz said:
From the article:
"Square Enix hopes that it will bring out wallets as well: FFX's HD remake, originally announced two years ago, will hit the PS3 and Vita in the near future"

It is coming for PS3, they just hope some people will be inspired to pick up a Vita because of its release.
Whoops, my bad. I just skimmed through the article.

At least some devs are supporting the Vita.

keiji_Maeda

May 9, 2012
ScrabbitRabbit said:
keiji_Maeda said:
Amethyst Wind said:
They redo the voicework or give me an option to cop out into the japanese dub, or i'm not buying squat (imlying one purchaser makes a real difference in the square fiscal plan)

Seriously, the context is that they're miserable and trying to force themselves to laugh to try and feel better. They laugh normally immediately after.

There are so many examples of genuinely bad voice acting in the game, I don't understand why this scene gets picked on.
Hi!

The japanese scene has some underlying tones of using the laughing scenes as a medium of forwarding repressing sorrow and putting on a bold front. The english one gets bashed quite a bit for the fact that the "now-i-laugh-in-the-face-of-total-despair" sounds almost EXACTLY the same way the rest of the game doews.

*spoil*

its almost a decade old innit? but still, some arrive late for parties. THe whole underlying theme of utter despair lurking right around the corner and good ol' cthulu-dick being an omnipresent threat as "the leveller of all" gets slightly hollowed out when the protagonist (or, ya know, not really since it's debatably Yunas story) sounds about emotionally involved as a turnip, on a bad day, in the rain, with bronchitis. They have a lot of decent VA in the game proper (guv'nor) and the fact that Tidus doesn't come across as the japanese (only one not to comprehend the vastness of the sacrifice necessitated) but rather as, i dunno the one they have (giddy manchild that sounds petulant and confused) makes for a rather glaring difference in the game as such.

And that scene is usually lifted out as the prime offender to figurehead the entire argument.

And that's ok, some games don't age well, VA wasn't "all that" back in th' days. But if you want AWFUL then go listen to the old dynasty warriors. or even Samurai warriors one, that was AWFUL.