Final Fantasy XI PS2 and Xbox 360 Servers Shutting Down Today

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Final Fantasy XI PS2 and Xbox 360 Servers Shutting Down Today

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1306/1306003.jpgOne of the longest-running MMOs will at least partially shut down today.

Final Fantasy XI first launched on the PlayStation2 in 2002. Since then, it was also available on Xbox 360 and PC, but after today, only the PC version will remain operable. Square announced last year that today would be the shutdown date for the servers, which close at 10 AM EDT today.

If you're still playing on console, you can move to the PC version without having to purchase another copy of the game. You'll have to transfer your PlayOnline ID to a Square Enix account, and then download the game from the company's website.

You can find instructions on transferring your account and downloading the client, as well as the official announcement on the server shutdowns, over on the PlayOnline website [http://www.playonline.com/ff11us/envi/win/winshift.html].

It's never fun when your MMO of choice closes its doors, but at least console players can move over to the PC to continue their adventures.

[gallery=6113]

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
Waitwaitwait, the PS2 servers were still up? Gotta give them props for at least having that level of support for so long.

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Apr 28, 2010
Lost in my mind
Country
US
I used to play it on PS2 til it killed it from being on so much.

After they changed the way leveling was done I got bored with it.

Monk and Paladin where my main jobs

Raesvelg

Oct 22, 2008
LegendaryGamer0 said:
Waitwaitwait, the PS2 servers were still up? Gotta give them props for at least having that level of support for so long.
And trust me, most of the people playing would rather they hadn't.

"PS2 limitations" was the go-to response from SE for just about every UI and system upgrade they didn't do, back in the day.

Leg End

Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
Raesvelg said:
And trust me, most of the people playing would rather they hadn't.

"PS2 limitations" was the go-to response from SE for just about every UI and system upgrade they didn't do, back in the day.
Oh, that changes things then. The benefits of laziness appear to outweigh the cost of servers.

Metadigital

May 5, 2014
Raesvelg said:
Now it's the "ps3 limitations" response in FFXIV.

A part of me is sad to see it go. I originally played it on the PS2.

Oh the memories: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WImXo0eptes

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Good on them for offering a free transfer to Pc for users and well supporting the PS2 for this long.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
I can't believe they were still up. That's insane. I hadn't played FFXI in years. Still have fond memories of getting good groups and leveling. When you get a group that is so good they quickly kill monsters while also regularly saving another group that has a Power Leveler, and even keep on pulling while doing that, you got something.

Veldie said:
I used to play it on PS2 til it killed it from being on so much.

After they changed the way leveling was done I got bored with it.

Monk and Paladin where my main jobs
I liked Dark Knight, Paladin, and Samurai. Getting the right party with a Samurai could be incredibly rewarding and fun. Only got Dark Knight to 75 (back when that was the cap), though.

I still remember Garbage Shitadel (fondly?).

Apr 25, 2009
I've been really meaning to give this game a try. Had it installed and everything, never bought a key and uninstalled it later. I really want a massive, deep eastern-style fantasy world to explore. Maybe it's time to bite the bullet.

Towowo

Sep 22, 2008
RicoADF said:
Good on them for offering a free transfer to Pc for users and well supporting the PS2 for this long.
Well here's the thing, Final Fantasy XI doesn't distinguish between platforms as long as you had a valid product code on any of the consoles or PC you logged into the game with. You only had to buy the game and it's expansions once.

Leg End

Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
Metadigital said:
Raesvelg said:
Now it's the "ps3 limitations" response in FFXIV.
I sense a pattern here.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
This is one of those games where I said to myself:

"WHY IS THIS GAME AN MMORPG?!"

The intro music of this game gets a tear from my eye:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nlks4Bz2OgI

Colt47

Oct 31, 2012
This is the game I wish they remade with an updated control scheme, UI, and graphics. Instead, we got a remade World of Warcraft with features pulled from this title in what feels to be the shallowest way possible. Curse you Final Fantasy XIV! You could have been so much more...